PDA

View Full Version : baggage handlers

coops
8th Oct 2005, 15:59
Was wondering if any Baggage Handlers out there working on the 737-700/800 could tell me how many crew they have to turn a aircraft around and in what time frame etc.
I'll get it started
Contractor for Virgin Blue in Australia.
5 per turn around.
1 in Bag Room
1 Driving
3 In aircraft.

Is this common around the place.

Thanks

Coops

tick2000
9th Oct 2005, 14:35
Hi
I used to work on the ramp at STN loading/unloading the FR 738's.
We used to turn them around with a 4 man gang (plus a dispatcher who could only help whilst the inbound pax were disembarking). This meant that you had 2 in the hold and 2/3 at the bottom of the belt for offloading; then 2 in the hold and 1 at the end of the belt loading the bags for the on load, as 1 person takes the inbound bags to the terminal and dispatcher dealing with paperwork.
Now as FR only gave you a 25 min turnaround time you had to work fast. This time including chocking and stepping the aircraft as it pulled on stand, then offloading all the bags, loading the outbound bags, removing the steps, connecting tug, completing walk-round and lastly un-chocking.
All of the above was completed in time up to about a 250 bag turnaround, more than 250 bags in a turnaround and you could not do it in 25mins.
I think that the reason we were able to do it with a 4 man gang is that FR put the majority of their bags in the front hold, a maximum of 170. This meant you could get away with only two in the hold as it is flat and short, compared to the back hold which is much longer and is an uphill slop to the door when offloading.
Hopes this helps.

Matty J
9th Oct 2005, 21:25
I work for Ryanair at Stansted and as stated above we have 4 per team, + the dispatcher who helps if there is time.

2 in the Hold, 2 at the Door/Belt on the Offload. Then 2 in the hold, 1 at the door/belt on the onload as the other member of the team is tipping the Inbound bags.

5 loaders would be nice as if your the 1 person putting 180+ bags onto the belt and pulling the full dollies etc into place its hard work!! Then again Ryanair like to make the easiest of tasks hard work anyway!:p :p

:ok: