PDA

View Full Version : SA Media Really has a problem with flying "incidents"

Gunship
8th Oct 2005, 10:04
I mean ... take this ... this is just below the News Headlines (Earthquake rocks Paki and India)

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1813447,00.html

It does not even make the news in the UK ... just read THE SUN (yeah page 3 mate :E) and watched BBC / Sky ... nothing ..

I know you guys read here : Get a life and report on something worthwhile than a tech problem on an aircraft into LHR.

(PS: This happens DAILY if you donot know (yet).

Or what do I say ? :E

Skydrol Kid
13th Oct 2005, 12:05
Gunship, so true.

Earlier in the year, there was a piece on E-News about a drama at DIA. 1Time was the lucky airline to receive free media coverage. There was a landing gear indication problem and lucky for them, a SAP chopper was waiting to take-off, and got the landing of the DC9 on camera. All made a big hoo-haa about nothing.

To make things worse, even before the aircraft landed, there was I interruption on East Coast Radio stating that they've just heard of a terrible emergency taking place at DIA. How do these guys get the news even before the people on the ground knows about it.

Makes you think that there are spies out there:confused:

jollybuccaneer
14th Oct 2005, 09:07
Hey Kid

It's quite simple really, who has the most spare time at the airports? Some EMS (Fire Team) members are quick to hit their cell button to their media contact, for the price of a beer or a few hundred dozen.
These news guys get bonuses for "sensational news", so no surprise there are lots of very willing news leakers out there.:cool:

ZS-NDV
14th Oct 2005, 09:36
Gunss,

You may not be fully aware of it but there is a real psycose here in europe since the crashes this summer. Suddenly, the smallest incident becomes headline news. I counted 17 reports on french news this past month (that's more than one every second day...) just on little incidents.

I guess it'll take a few month before the frenzy calms down.

Cheers,

Frenchy

ZERO3L
14th Oct 2005, 11:13
Good point that you raise here Gunship.

What I find particularly interesting is that only "selected" airlines get the full treatment here in SA.

As skydrolkid mentioned, a non event gear indication problem on a 1time flight made headline news on TV, but some other scary events in the last 18 months have not even been mentioned. like the go around by a certain airline that nearly didnt at George, that missed the news completely.
Or the Emirates near accident last Easter which merely got a mention after taking out the lights on 21R following a serious take off incident. Those are just 2 of many- the list continues.......

Bottom line here is that I think this is orchestrated by certain individuals, working for certain airlines in SA who dont like competition in the market.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all work together and get rid of the long knives???:ok: