PDA

View Full Version : PHI pilots

Blade88
27th Jan 2002, 11:44
Anyone have any experience working for PHI? Was curious if this might be a good outfit to work for?

yxcapt
28th Jan 2002, 09:15
Largest helicopter operator in the US. However they treat people poorly in the pay and benifits areas.

Devil 49
28th Jan 2002, 15:37
13 years with them, and mostly favorable. The pilots now have a union, so there's an extra level of complication compared to my experience. And a new owner...

I was just a another pilot to them. There's advantages to that situation also...

Average annual 3-400 hours. Most jobs seem to fly more, so somebody isn't flying at all! 3-4 hours a day typical of my experience. That could be one sortie or 100 landings. You will work all 14 hours permitted by FAR's.

The customer you're on contract with counts on PHI to deliver transport. Happens to be a helicopter, yellow generally. Sometimes one part of the helicopter gets out and eats-it's called a "pilot"-sometimes it has a name.

I've been the only pilot flying and the only pilot not flying, on occasion. You might be asked about it, but a reasonable answer and no hassles.

If it's in the PHI ops manual-you do it. End of discussion. Amen.

They have some very, very good instructors in the training department.

The aircraft flown are minimally but adequately equipped. Maintainence emphasises airworthy not looks. They have a few truly stellar techs turning wrenches. Most are high average, and a very few who...

The compensation was average and absolutely no more than required to fill seats. Organising has improved that, now "high" average!