PDA

View Full Version : BRISTOL

Pages : [1] 2

NCLRULES
7th Oct 2005, 16:41
Don't know if this was mentioned on the other thread but BritishJet.com will start 1x weekly Malta flights from 22/07/06 to 02/09/06.

WATABENCH
11th Oct 2005, 01:48
Anyone got the latest CO figs, just wandering if they've managed to maintain higher yields since school hols, as there were reports just after the US hurricanes that US carriers would start pulling out of the routes that aren't doing great in order to save on the hike in fuel prices, hopefully BRS is starting to prove itself a useful little number for them by now.

redfield
11th Oct 2005, 10:07
CO figs are still OK - 144 yesterday on the outbound. Winter is 5x weekly but the Thursday flight is reinstated for 2 or 3 weeks in December.

MerchantVenturer
11th Oct 2005, 12:07
WATABENCH

CAA provisional stats for August show 8777 used the route - average of around 142 per flight or roughly an 82% average load factor.

At the time the route commenced the airport and airline suggested they were looking to carry around 75,000 pax in the first year. The published figures for June, July and August indicate a total of just over 23,300 carried in those months, so although these months are amongst the busiest of the year normally, and the fact that the route goes to five a week in winter, one hopes the target will be achieved.

There seem to have been plenty of initiatives in recent months by both the airline and airport to promote the route, including fare and car parking deals.

I have both read and heard anecdotal evidence to suggest that American travellers (the ones the route initially struggled to attract apparently), once they have discovered the route, like it.

For instance, on the website of a hotel serving Bristol Airport one US pax described how his party could not get a return flight from London on the dates they wanted so motored to Bristol, stayed in the hotel "right in the midddle of the countryside", went to a recommended nearby country pub for a meal and were taken to the airport the following morning. They intend to use this route again.

WindSheer
11th Oct 2005, 18:29
Nice to see :ok:

Confirmed Must Ride
12th Oct 2005, 06:03
September was good month for CO. Higher load factor than alot of their other EU routes.

Also 757 fleet being reconfigures to add 3 Y class seats and brand new AVOD IFE in Business First. First aircraft has been completed with rest of fleet to be completed by end 2006.

rampboy767
14th Oct 2005, 20:00
Whats the winter timetable looking like this year 2006/06? Any new charters or routes? I noticed the AEA route to BGJ is already started on fridays for this winter.

a bristolian
14th Oct 2005, 20:45
How about the following,

New Based Air Malta A320 operating ACE, HRG,SSH,SZG,PFO and
CMF
New Based Excel B737-400 operating TFS x 2 , LPA, MIR , LYS , FUE
More ski including Austrian Dash 8 400's to Bolzano and B738 to INN.
AEU B737-700 to TCP and BJL ( 2 ) and CMF ski.
Thomas Cook A320 based now Weds - Sat with extra LCA , and LPA series in addition to previous ACE and TFS.
EAF operating B737-200 with ski flights to LYS and GRO.
BH Air A320 to Plovdiv as last year.

Flights in addition to based FCA and TUI a/c.

EZY replacing 8 based B737-700's with A319's from end of the month.

New scheduled flights to MME , HAM , SNN and GNB and first winter with flights to some place called New York!

Not bad - ATM and pax growth should be around 20%+

Stall-Warner
14th Oct 2005, 21:56
Have read that CO have been talking to CWL reference moving capacity across the channel. Would make sense given the significantly longer rwy.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th Oct 2005, 09:31
Considering that the runway at BRS has yet to have caused a problem to a continental service and that South Wales has such a poor catchment area I would be suprised by any move to the other side of the bridge.

Cheers

WATABENCH
17th Oct 2005, 01:41
FCA have 3 new ski routes for this winter to GNB/SOF/TRN, they're still doing TLS but have dropped their GVA,
What a load of rubbish CO talking to CWL, someone have a word for godsake!

bycrewlgw
17th Oct 2005, 13:04
As much as I would love to see a New York service from CWL, CO are not going to move from BRS! What a load of rubbish! CO from BRS is very successful with very good pax loads runway hasn't caused a problem so far so why should it in the future? Being Welsh, I would love to see Cardiff in the same league as the big guys but its just not gonna happen anytime soon!

BYCREWLGW

Tom the Tenor
17th Oct 2005, 13:41
Bristol Airport. A fine example of how to do things right. I salute you.

Not like the rubbish in charge here at Cork.

redfield
17th Oct 2005, 23:53
Mr Tenor! Ouch! Don't like the ORK managers then? Mind you I'm not sure that ORK could warrant a daily New York - is the catchment area large enough?

Tom the Tenor
18th Oct 2005, 00:49
New York is very far down on the list of priorities. A daily flight would be impossible and would never have a chance of working. Two or three a week at a max but that is now a long, long time away.

Getting the infrastructure right at Cork is much more important, ie, completing the terminal, more ramp, (not for a long time) more runway, (never), ILS CAT 2 and 3 (never will have cat 3).

Cork Airport is banjaxed.

Perhaps, the Cork Airport board could buy cheap tickets off FR to fly snn-BRS and get lessons on how to do things better. At least snn and BRS would be winners with the few extra pax!

ATCO1987
18th Oct 2005, 15:24
A Bristolian - Just to confirm, EZY replacing B737s with A319s from end of October yeah?

Easily confused...cough.

Dan.

rampboy767
19th Oct 2005, 14:00
It is true on the 31th of this month the first A319 will be based here in replacement of the 737 and the 737s will be changed over to airbus once a month after that til 8 months later when the fleet will be all airbus!

MerchantVenturer
20th Oct 2005, 17:57
It seems the disparate groups that, for various reasons, want to stop any expansion at BRS have now formed themselves into a Stop Bristol Airport Expansion (SBAE) coalition.

They include environmental organisations such as Bristol Friends of the Earth, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England and the local Parish Councils’ Airport Association.

The usual mixture in any campaign group’s armoury of selected facts presented in a slanted way, embellished with half truths and outright lies, has been put forward as part of SBAE’s opening shots and its members have enjoyed much local media publicity in the past couple of days.

It will be interesting to see how these unlikely bedfellows conduct themselves over the coming months. Some want air travel reduced everywhere whilst others merely want it curtailed at BRS, apparently quite content for some other airport’s neighbours to be the recipients of the sort of thing they don’t want themselves: the classic Nimby.

One of the mutual concerns appears to be the increase in road traffic that airport expansion would bring. However, this does not appear to worry these people when it comes to the many thousands who have moved out to the pleasant, yet ever expanding, Nimbyland in recent decades who then, by commuting daily to and from Bristol from their rural retreats, cause the kind of pollution they object to in aircraft and airport users’ cars.

The impetus that has provoked the coming together of those opposing further development at BRS is the publication of the airport’s draft master plan, due next Wednesday. I am sure that many of the ordinary folk in the wider Bristol and district will be waiting with baited breath to see if a mini Heathrow really is about to appear on top of that misty hill adjacent Goblin Combe, because they would be forgiven for believing that from some of the statements of the SBAE people.

Whilst I would never advocate that airports be allowed unrestricted and uncontrolled growth, it is a great pity that so many opponents fight from entrenched and unrealistic positions.

ATCO1987
20th Oct 2005, 18:35
NIMBYs, one of the many pointless creations on this planet. As I said in my email to ITV West news (which was read out) if an airport wants to expand, then it will and there is NOTHING the NIMBYs can do about it.

They need to give up and find themselves a hobby, at the end of the day if they want to go abroad, they dont walk do they?

Dan.

rampboy767
20th Oct 2005, 21:03
Funny they dont want the airport to expand, yet they like the fact the airport is on their doorstep. And like the fact they dont have to travel far to a airport when their going on holiday. But they do moan over noise and increased traffic. hello no one forced these ppl to live near an airport and ppl must of knew in time it would expand to take the pressure of bigger london airports and spread the traffic across regional airports to improve and help local business & create more jobs which is good for the southwest, etc

Morrihell
20th Oct 2005, 23:54
Slightly off topic but................

MacQuarie........

MacQuarie bought a ferry (as in shipping) company yesterday, the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co, lock, stock and barrel, including ships buildings, land holdings.......

And I quote...

"The Macquarie Bank Group is a diversified international financial services group and a global leader in the infrastructure sector. Macquarie manages a portfolio of infrastructure and essential service assets and businesses around the world and has a track record of successful and responsible management."

"Jim Craig, Head of Macquarie in Europe, said Steam Packet fits with Macquarie's philosophy of investing in quality infrastructure and essential service assets. This is the type of business we are keen to invest in, with stable revenues, a strong customer base and a proven management team. The Island itself has an excellent record of stability and economic growth"

Macquarie's holdings in the In the UK include

Wightlink (Ferries), South East Water, Wales & West Utilities, Energy Power Resources, Birmingham Airport, Bristol Airport, M6 Toll, M1-A1 Link, BBC Broadcast and Arqiva.

Many fingers in profitable pies I think, what will they take over next? (apart from EXT)

Note to ATCO1987, 2 EZY 319s in 2 days, both in/out from STN :*

ATCO1987
21st Oct 2005, 08:08
Yeah I noticed those two minibuses!

airhumberside
21st Oct 2005, 12:26
Many fingers in profitable pies I think, what will they take over next?
The London Stock Exchange has been rumoured

WATABENCH
22nd Oct 2005, 16:58
Poss new domestic services?

Just found this whilst flicking through a mag in the office,

Alphaone Airways, the Oxford based start up founded by local teenager Martin Halstead, will initially launch services on a round route linking Oxford, Manchester, Shoreham, Bristol and Liverpool. The daily rotation will be operated by a piper chieftain but will be upgraded to a BAE Jetstream 31 in the future.
Any views?

MerchantVenturer
25th Oct 2005, 12:25
It has been anounced that Macquarie/Ferrovial (via their South West Airports Consortium) have withdrawn their bid to buy Exeter Airport.

SWAC were the preferred bidders but following much business and political protest in the far southwest the whole thing was referred by the EU to the OFT in the summer on the grounds of a joint owner for BRS and EXT being anti competitive. Only last week Flybe put in its three pennorth and said it didn't think the sale should be allowed to go through.

The regulatory enquiry that was put in train as a result of the OFT referral was not expected to report until next spring and SWAC say they cannot wait that long so have pulled out.

A Macquarie spokeswoman was quoted by Bloomberg, "There's been no decision against it, but the process just kept dragging on and it's a very small acquisition from our perspective."

I always believed that a jointly owned BRS and EXT would have brought more to EXT than to BRS. Now it seems that Macquarie/Ferrovial will have to put all their efforts in the south west into further developing BRS without having EXT as part of the equation.

Pandy
26th Oct 2005, 07:37
Be grateful for any assistance on this.

Presently doing some some research which involves analysing international scheduled pax from various airports.

My numbers for BRS from the CAA data are as follows:

Sep-05 Sep-04 %

Brussels 6117 5805 5.10
Copenhagen 0 6662 -100.00
Bergerac 4478 3487 22.13
Bordeaux 3873 3477 10.22
Nice 8098 7670 5.29
Paris 8524 9128 -7.09
Toulouse 3834 4122 -7.51
Berlin 6895 6679 3.13
Frankfurt 2703 1360 49.69
Munich 2055 1516 26.23
Cork 1417 1165 17.78
Dublin 24613 22206 9.78
Milan 2005 0 100.00
Pisa 7353 371 94.95
Rome 7431 0 100.00
Venice 7949 7544 5.09
Malta 1005 0 100.00
Amsterdam 23327 29167 -25.04
Faro 9099 9352 -2.78
Alicante 15769 16599 -5.26
Barcelona 7928 7661 3.37
Bilbao 0 7059 -100.00
Madrid 7424 0 100.00
Mahon 187 0 100.00
Malaga 16234 16513 -1.72
Murcia 7975 0 100.00
Palma 9268 8997 2.92
Valencia 7949 0 100.00
Geneva 7566 0 100.00
Zurich 1581 0 100.00
Prague 7848 7640 2.65
Budapest 7472 0 100.00
New York 8249 0 100.00

236226 184180 22.03

Which is all very interesting but it doesn't equal the numbers on the BRS airport website - total 233,933, difference of 2293.

The CAA states that diversions are back calculated to their scheduled destination.

Does anyone know if there were a number of diversions in Sept and if so does BRS reflect this in their website.

Be grateful for any feedback

a bristolian
26th Oct 2005, 09:17
BRS dont include lost diverts in the pax numbers but the CAA do.

The CAA numbers haven't included some other BRS flights including Olbia and Split which operated in Sept with Trade Air which makes the difference bigger!!

There was only one or two divs out in Sept - not enough for the difference.

NCLRULES
26th Oct 2005, 14:12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4377334.stm

redfield
26th Oct 2005, 21:37
ATCO: Easy's 319's arrive as of the end of October: the first one appears on 29th, then November 6th and the third about two weeks after that.

WATABENCH
30th Oct 2005, 02:17
The first BRS EZY 319 sat up on whisky tonite, shining away under the floodlights, Think reg when i drove by it earlier was BS anyone know if this is a brand new delivery or has it been on line for a bit? looked very smart whatever, anyone know when ezy planning a 9th ac for brs?

redfield
30th Oct 2005, 07:59
EZBS - been with the fleet for a while. The 9th a/c might be in Easy's plans but where will it park???

MerchantVenturer
30th Oct 2005, 19:46
.The 9th a/c might be in Easy's plans but where will it park???
redfield

I know you are au fait with the stands and apron at BRS, you have kindly helped me with details of this in the past on this MB.

Are you saying the point is now reached where there is no room at all for a further based aircraft to park overnight?

I note that BRS carried over 5 million pax during a rolling 12-month period for the first time in September.

A non-industry person like me can't help thinking that more room will have to be found pretty quickly then if the passenger growth is to continue

rampboy767
30th Oct 2005, 20:05
There trying to increase the size of the western apron at the mom, where the mail tent was and soon when the helicoper maintenance hanger is which is going south side. One would prob only get 4 EZY A319s up on whisty i.e 23,24,25,26 n the other 3/4 on 8,9,10 & 11 until the new stands are built cant really see where the ninth one would go wth all the other charters there too. When is the secord EZY airbus coming? 5th of november? or one every month?

redfield
31st Oct 2005, 09:41
MV: It's pretty close to that now. The other week there was an Astraeus 737-700 a/c parked between 21 and 22 because there were no suitably sized stands left to park it on. The problems have mostly arisen since stand 27 was closed due to the W.I.P. on stand 62: Emerald parks on 27 now so we've essentially lost a B757 sized stand. At certain times over the winter there'll be a second DP 321 and a Thomas Cook 320 to park as well as all the based winter a/c, and bear in mind that some of these a/c will be at times on the ground for over 24 hours. Rampboy: I've seen the plans for the proposed extension, but I feel that it's come too late for this winter! There'll be another 2 A319's here before the end of November.

WATABENCH
31st Oct 2005, 17:13
Redfield, theres not a 2nd DP 321 at all during winter, just the occasional visit of the EXT based 320 on a W pattern thru AGP and maybe an odd visit by a 757, so it wont be taking up any stands overnight, so in theory that frees up a large stand. We had this discussion bout this time last year, worrying about stand space for the summer just gone and the airport managed fine, I dont think it'd pose a major prob, and by the time EZY would of got round to the 9th it'll prob be summer again and the extra stands will prob be ready

rampboy767
1st Nov 2005, 00:37
As reguards to the nightstopping a/c, the MYT has left and one FCA, since the TCX will be parked up most days. With the 8 EZYs mixture of A319s n 737s, The Brit can go on 3, EZY A319 on 2 & 1, FCA on 4, KM 5, SN stand 6, KLM 70 stand 16/ F100 Stand 21, XLA 734 stand 12, 4 EZY 737s on 8,9,10 &11 and the other 2 or 3 on 23, 26 or 24R & 25R with the TCX parked up there too i think the airport will manage. At the mom EZY A319 G-EZIW is parked on 2. When will the 2nd one come?

redfield
1st Nov 2005, 09:29
It's not always that simple though Rampboy, as I'm sure you know. As W says, we had this discussion before, and the stand plan doesn't take into account tech a/c, delayed flights etc. As mentioned previously, the Astraeus has already been parked between 21 and 22 because there wasn't a stand available. It might just work, but there's not a lot of room for manoeuvre!

On a different note, Easyjet's passenger figures were pretty high over the half term - several flights went out with all 149 seats taken, especially on the BFS and NCL routes.

MerchantVenturer
6th Nov 2005, 18:42
I went to the BRS Master Plan public road show at Bristol’s Mall Galleries shopping precinct last week and managed to have a long chat with none other than the MD, Andrew Skipp. I don’t regard it as a private conversation as it took place in public with other visitors in the vicinity quite at liberty to earwig if they had wanted. Furthermore, I presume he would tell any other member of the public what he told me.

I was impressed by his willingness to engage a stranger in conversation for so long (at least twenty minutes) and with the straightforward and open way he answered my questions.

The following is a summary of some of the points that emerged, some as responses to my questions and others brought up by him.

There will be three new a/c stands next summer and he sees no problems in the meantime. This is in line with the incremental approach vis-a-vis increasing passenger numbers outlined in the draft Master Plan.

Next summer he is expecting Excel/Freedom Flights to operate two B 738s out of BRS, replacing this summer's B 734 and Air Malta A 320.

The CO route to EWR is now establishing itself well, although he thinks fares were pitched wrongly at first (too high) and now at times may even be too low.

He thinks the purchase of EXT would have been useful to BRS but doesn’t seem too bothered that it has fallen through.

He seems as perplexed as many in the local aviation scene that Flybe have not built up a stronger route network out of BRS, but could not say why this is (he may have been understandably reticent to say any more given commercial considerations).

Similarly, he is at a loss to explain BRS’s lack of flights to such destinations as Toronto and Florida.

I gained the impression that a Ryanair base is not top of his wish list although more FR flights working into BRS on W rotations would be very acceptable, and there was a hint that there might be more (to complement the DUB and SNN rotations that are already operated in this way). He mentioned that he would like more French destinations, whether by FR or anyone else.

He has personally noted the unacceptably long time it can take the Flyer dedicated coach to the bus and railway stations to load pax at busy times (something I highlighted on PPRuNe some months ago), and he assured me that the matter will be rectified.

It can be seen that I was never cut out to be an investigative reporter, but I thought these snippets might be of interest at least to some of the regular BRS followers on this MB.

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Nov 2005, 08:30
The Flyer coach is a vital tool but it suffers due to the fact the driver has to collect £5 or £10 off every passenger before getting underway. Inevitably this takes 20 mins for a full coach and that's as long as the journey takes. Until the technology improves could they not employ a ticket collector for at least the peak periods?

MerchantVenturer
7th Nov 2005, 15:56

The Master Plan is looking to having the Flyer coach operate every ten minutes with one always at the airport loading pax. It would also run into the early hours, although doubtless at a reduced schedule during the night. The idea is to have the Flyer carrying 13% of airport pax by the time 9 million is reached compared to 5% at present.

Having an assistant at the airport coach stop at the busiest times seems the obvious thing to do, and I believe this is what will happen. I too have seen the Flyer take twenty minutes to load on occasions, because drivers usually load some of the travellers' suitcases in the luggage compartment under the bus before admitting the pax and taking fares.

With that and Bristol's nightmare traffic no wonder it is sometimes difficult for it to maintain its schedule.

Interesting initiative starting in the Chew Valley, even involving some who are opposed to the airport's expansion. Community mini buses are being set up, running on bio-fuel, and they will pick up commuters (mainly) from surrounding villages, take them to the airport and load them on to the Flyer for conveyance to Bristol. It is partly the idea of the airport bosses.

redfield
8th Nov 2005, 13:51
To return to the issue of the parking stands. Take a recent example: ThonsonFly parked on 26N (which blocks out 26), TCX on stand 24 for 48 hours with the Air Malta on 25 for 48 hours, Excel on 12 for 48 hours and a night-stopping DP on stand 5 until 1735 the next day. Two Easyjet night-stoppers on 8 and 11 which don't depart until 1430 and 1735 respectively. TCX bring an extra A320 in to exchange with the original one. SO, that's 7 large stands taken out of the picture. So the whole days' operation has to be squashed into 13 stands, and don't forget this leaves only 21, 10 and 4L (if 4 isn't being used) to use as self-manouevring stands for the a/c for which there aren't any towbars. See what I mean, W and Rampboy????:{

rampboy767
9th Nov 2005, 00:14
Tonight is a good example people, with to issue of stands. with the BY on 24L, KM on 25L TCX parked on 26N EZY 737 on 23W, KLM F70 on 22. EZY 737 st1, A319s on St2 & 3. EZY 737 on St4. FCA prob go on 5. 8,9,11 EZY 737s. KLM 100 on 10 and JN on 12 with 3 BAs and SN on 13 to 16. Talk about busy nite with nite stoppers. :O :\

WATABENCH
9th Nov 2005, 04:35
I would think that the answer to Andrew Skipps mind boggle over Florida is quite obvious, and weve all mentioned it before it's our old friend runway length rearing it's ugly head again, take FCA, they now have more lightweight 767s due to less seating and the complete revamp of everything inside, perfect you would think, and weve been told would make Florida direct, However Mr FCA Head Honcho wants to make as much cash as poss out of his 767s and therefore likes to fill the bellies up with cargo etc... Which then means the a/c is to heavy to get off the meager strip of runway that wee call 27/09 and fly direct to SFB.
Take the FCA operation at BHX, a few years ago the pulled the 767 that was doing Florida and moved its Midlands long haul operation to EMA, why you may ask, well apparently due to EMA haveing the longer runway they can put more cargo on the a/c, which seems kind of strange to me seeming people like PIA operate 747s in and out of BHX with no major issues as far as i'm aware, therefore in theory were probly more likely to see a SFB route out of EXT before BRS, roll on the 787 thats all I can say!

MerchantVenturer
9th Nov 2005, 14:58
WATABENCH

I managed to get hold of a copy of the full draft master plan (160 pages with appendices – much easier to read than trying to download the full version from the Net).

A runway extension is not being considered until 9 million annual pax have been reached – forecast around 2015. Even after that they are lukewarm. They give various options for extending it, with the resultant positives and negatives, but conclude that (even after 9 million pax), “The improvement in performance that might be achieved by extending the runway is relatively small in comparison with the costs and the potential environmental impact.”

The draft master plan suggests there is (and will be during the period the plan covers, up to 2015 in detail and to 2030 in outline) limited demand for regular scheduled long haul from the Bristol catchment, and identifies New York (already served), Washington, Dubai and one other US destination “such as Atlanta” as the required destinations.

There is also further demand for long haul services by charter airlines, and various projected passenger figures are given regarding long haul from the airport in general.

The airport seems to be relying on new generation aircraft that will make a runway extension unnecessary. The draft plan mentions the B 787. The airport has been told by Boeing that one variant is expected to have a range of 9,000 km from the existing runway.

However, the next generation of aircraft is expected to have longer wingspans and at present the clearances between the taxiway and Winters Lane (by the golf course) could not accommodate the B 787. This could be overcome in the short term by the construction of turning circles, but consideration might have to be given at some future point to moving Winters Lane to the north. I don’t like golf so that wouldn’t worry me. ;)

BTW, according to the list I have, the EXT runway is only 72 metres longer than BRS (2083 to 2011), although it is also at a lower elevation. How much difference does 72 metres make? BRS say they could extend the current runway by 140 metres within existing airport land and without the need for airport control of Felton Common, although the A 38 would have to be dropped into a tunnel.

This is one of the options mentioned in the draft plan. The others are extend the runway by 389 metres; extend it by 239 metres with a 150 metre starter strip; extend the runway beyond 389 metres onto the Common. I suspect the last one would cause apoplexy in some quarters.

rampboy767
11th Nov 2005, 23:46
New Route starting of the 28th of the month opeartaing three days a wk, monday, wednesday and fridays i think day n night stopping over the weekend. Operated by OLT with a saab 2000 flying BRE-HAM-BRS on behalf of airbus between the 3 compaines across europe. Correct the details where wrong i will update when i have more info.

BRS30
13th Nov 2005, 19:07
No Ramp boy you are right

Monday one departures 0755 SF3 BRS-HAM/BRE

Tuesday-Thursday Two daily departures

0630 BRS-HAM/BRE S20
1700 BRS-HAM/BRE SF3

Friday Two departures

0630 BRS-HAM/BRE S20
1715 BRS-HAM/BRE SF3

Full business class service onboard.

MerchantVenturer
13th Nov 2005, 19:41
Is this service open to the public or just for Airbus people?

If the former it will complement/ rival easyJet who are starting a 6 rotations a week HAM service next month.

Didn't OLT operate out of Filton for Airbus? Perhaps they still will?

nivsy
14th Nov 2005, 12:14
Yeah...i saw an advert in a German Newspaper and it said the operation was to Bristol - Filton. Has this now changed?

Nivsy

MerchantVenturer
16th Nov 2005, 11:18
Major expansion announced today by Air Southwest to take effect from next April.

It will include a based aircraft and crew at BRS, new route BRS-NWI and increased frequency BRS-LBA to 3 a day.

CWL_Chris
16th Nov 2005, 14:48
Didn't see this coming..

Air Southwest are going to operate two new routes from CWL to NQY and MAN, both twice daily.

Regards,
Chris

Outoftheblue22
16th Nov 2005, 19:25
Good to see ASW basing an a/c at BRS - doing a good job of filling the "thin" routes ex BRS. The new Norwich route must be a winner given the hideous road/rail journey from the SW to East Anglia.

WATABENCH
18th Nov 2005, 01:33
Heard FCA 'MAY' have something up their sleeve for winter 06/07, don't believe its long haul though but would bring a big sigh of relief to quite a few people working at BRS

WATABENCH
19th Nov 2005, 13:40
Just had to do some fishing around, but my FCA hunch looks correct, B757 based next winter 06/07 instead of A321 - Hooray!
New routes according to brochures and FC website for FCA will be SSH/BJL and new one for the airport AGA also looks like a busier programme too, lets hope they keep them for the following summer too, good news for BRS and FCA if you ask me and long over due after the tech probs with the 321s this summer.
Nice one FCA!:ok:

rampboy767
19th Nov 2005, 15:17
AGA it thought FCA operated that last winter with a 757 on a day tripper from LGW-BRS-AGA-BRS-LGW etc, as i can remember turning around this aircraft. SSH & BJL are both very popular at BRS with BY, XLA, AEA operating to these destinations this winter too. Its good to see the that EZY are quick to swap aircraft here, as we have 3 airbus's here & 5 boeing now. But most of the EZY crews are from Berlin on temp at mom til the EZY 737 based pilots here are trained on the A319. Nice to hear a fresh noice over the headset! :O

ATCO1987
19th Nov 2005, 15:21
That FCA flight to Agadir positioning in from KK first I think was a one off. I thought initially it was the first flight on that route for the season but I was mistaken...

Dan.

WATABENCH
20th Nov 2005, 19:13
Air Europa operating to BJL and SSH? Sorry but have i missed something?
Last time i looked it was Astreus to BJL and Air Malta and BY to SSH?
I think AGA will be a good route for South west judgeing on the way locals have embrased the new Egypt routes and how popular BJL is, but how much nicer will it be to have a 757 instead of the ropey 321. Lovely Jubbley.
The AGA was a one off day trip last year, but is weekly flight as of nxt winter.

GrahamK
20th Nov 2005, 19:29
What was the reason for the Continental diverting into MAN on saturday morning? Bad weather around BRS? Medical?

WATABENCH
20th Nov 2005, 19:35
Think it was due to WX, it was rather pea soupy, think a few others had probs inc KLM, not sure which runway was in use, if its 09 then not much would of stood a chance, but hey thats the first divert for CO since flights commenced back in the beginning of summer, not bad going, and at least it didnt go to CWL!

Confirmed Must Ride
21st Nov 2005, 12:02
It was 09 so CAT3 not an option. It came back down from MAN and landed just after 1pm

WindSheer
22nd Nov 2005, 09:34
Watabench you big fool - wake up and smell the buscuits!!
If CO had diverted to CWL they would have pulled out of BRS - permanent. What the hell would they want to go back there for after having the 'welsh touch'!!
:ok:

WindSheer
22nd Nov 2005, 09:37
Ok the childish rants and unnecessary rubbish being plied here is in the bin! And so will all those be who cannot control themselves,

PPP

redfield
24th Nov 2005, 21:52
Errr....I've been away for a day or two, reference the above did I miss something??

Anyway, WOW are basing an a/c here apparently. Anybody know if it's night-stopping? Stand 6 is closing as of January 1st and I'm still worried about the shortage of parking stands!

Ranger 1
24th Nov 2005, 22:23
Check your pm's redfield :ok:

rampboy767
25th Nov 2005, 00:25
Alrite ppl,
why is stand 6 closing? construstion going on?

redfield
25th Nov 2005, 08:23
I think they're using it as a coach park - part of the ongoing development.

rampboy767
26th Nov 2005, 15:02
On going development didnt no there was any didnt see any builders about lol, Was the BY 767 flight to YUL that was operated this week a one off or regular winter route, and when will BY fly to Barbados this winter round xmas time? Any plans for BY to use the 767 for winter ski flights?

MerchantVenturer
27th Nov 2005, 16:17
A couple of questions that staff at BRS might be able to answer.

First, why was there no CO flight yesterday (Saturday)? Furthermore, according to the winter timetable, Tuesdays and Thursdays are the days not flown, yet both Mayfly and the CO booking website are showing a flight this coming Thursday. All seems a bit confusing.

Second, are there problems with Servisair at BRS?

My wife and I returned from PMI on Friday on board a Thomsonfly B 757 that landed at 1314 hours and it took fifteen minutes from the time we parked to get a set of steps to allow us to exit. The cabin manager was not a happy man and eventually the captain appeared from the flight deck looking equally unamused.

There was then what I can only describe as a leisurely unloading of hold baggage to the extent that the first bags did not appear on the carousel until 1401 and then came along in fits and starts thereafter. The aircraft was nowhere near full either. My second suitcase did not appear until 1415 and I was by no means the last person waiting at the carousel. This meant that it had taken fifty-six minutes from the time we parked on stand for both my suitcases to arrive.

The airport did not appear especially busy at the time and when I enquired the reason for the delay at the Servisair enquiry desk in Arrivals I received a very dismissive reply from the representative who said, “The chocks went on at 1319 after which the aircraft is available to be unloaded. These things happen sometimes.” Not a very helpful reply, and not something that reflects well on either Servisair or the airport.

I wonder whether staffing levels have been reduced too much this winter.

rampboy767
27th Nov 2005, 16:32
Firsty CO as im aware in tuesday and sunday but i dont no wot is goin on wth there winter timetable anyway. Second friday afteroon & evening was very busy at the airport due to alot of EZY flights running late from other airports. Resulting with certain aircraft being offloaded late due to the ground crews still stuck loading other aircraft. So it was slow for some crews getting to landing aircraft to put stairs on, when working on other planes. The staff levels are the same as the summer just a few people on the sick and on a/leave. The main factor was the lot of delayed inbound flights affected all other flights that were ontime or early, we can not be in two places as once non one person put a set of steps on to aircraft as it is a two man job. Safe first over Speed!
BTW it takes 15/20mins to Offload a boeing 757 with a crew of 4/5men, then 10mins to offload the bags off the flatbed on to the arrival belts. Total time 30/40mins not bad compared to MAN or LGW with a waiting time of an hour to 70mins for a offload.

a bristolian
27th Nov 2005, 17:28
No CO yesterday cus of thanksgiving .

CO reinstated 3 Thurs flights due a/c avbl and they have all sold well considering late loading.

Tomorrow sees first OLT service with Saab 2000's with upto 2 daily flights to HAM and BRE.

Bremen will be only scheduled service from any UK airport outside London.

Easyjet start daily HAM from next Thurs which gives upto 3 daily return flights to HAM - not bad for a little regional airport!!

MerchantVenturer
27th Nov 2005, 18:34
a b,

Thanks for info re CO.

rampboy,

Thanks for your input re unloading BY 299B on Friday, which partially explains the long delay, although bags were still arriving on the belt fifteen minutes after the first one appeared and the aircraft was only about 2/3rds full in my estimation, so it wasn't even a full load of pax and bags.

However, I'm grateful to hear from someone like you on the 'front line' of apron work rather than sanitised and PR explanations often offered by official sources.

I agree that BRS is almost always much quicker than the large airports (one of my many reasons for flying from there), but Friday was very slow, much slower than I think I have ever experienced there before. That's why I wondered if there was a problem.

Anyway, I won't labour it. As I said, many thanks.

redfield
27th Nov 2005, 18:49
Bristolian: The CO flights on Thursday in December weren't reinstated due to "availability of aircraft" - they've been on the mayfly since about early September. Christmas shopping season in New York maybe?

MV: There's always this sort of problem with every handling agent everywhere: they can't staff up for delays because delays aren't predictable. Staffing and rosters are based on the scheduled time of arrival and departure, so when a few flights get delayed everything gets backlogged. As Rampboy says, the ramp staff can't be in two places at once, they'll finish one flight before going to the next. In the same way, if a flight arrives early, it might well have to wait as well, especially if the crew allocated for that flight are still on their previous one! Not many "outsiders" appreciate these problems.

Rampboy: "Didn't know there was any ongoing development." Take a look around stand 62! The BY to YUL was a one-off cruise related flight I think. No plans for winter ski-ing 767's, at least they're not on the mayfly! Talking about larger aircraft though, there's supposed to be an Aer Lingus A330 on the weeknd of February 26th, I think it's to do with the Ireland v Wales "Six Nations" rugby match. There's supposed to be an extra three or four Ryanairs that day as well. Errr.....which stands for the A330 anybody?

:uhoh:

Ranger 1
27th Nov 2005, 22:14
Parking for the A330 in Feb may be on the western apron in the box of stands 23,24,25,26. We looked at it today, as a bit of fun should go there a treat.
Any probs give me a call on the day I parked the last one Twice;) first in front of the Old terminal facing north then on the old central apron where stand 5 is now.
There is a funny story behind why the first one ended up facing north infront of the Old terminal :E

Harry the Hound
28th Nov 2005, 04:23
Hello all,

FCA for next winter doesnt look as if its a total swap of 321 for 757, having a play on the FC website it looks like the 757 will probably be based for 3 days to cover the BJL and SSH, but all others including the new AGA will be 321 by the looks of things, still early days though.
Also reading with intrest the CWL thread, theres a lot on there saying FR and CWL have fallen out and even the possibility of FR pulling the DUB, would be very suprised if they did, but surely this bodes well for BRS, If 'going back a few months' FR had expansion plans for CWL as they once showed on the FR website, and know they're not getting on, maybe FR might want to give BRS a go, I'm sure instead of in direct competition with EZY they could pull out some interesting routes to complement the LC routes already established at BRS, particually Scandinavia and France!

rampboy767
28th Nov 2005, 11:04
I was aware of construction work around stand 62 and where the mail tent was, but i was referring to the closure on stand 6 by the terminal as i knew they would be starting work there and in the undercroft to support the road above when they expand the terminal to build for new gates and shops above the road way where the coaches park but i dont think they have started there yet. As reguarding the BY flight qs, i was not at work at the time of this flight and i cannot give you the real reason for the delay, but the crew offloading the aircraft could of been pushing one of the easyjet's you mentioned were being pushed at the time of the aircraft on the ground.

Sounds like Hamburg is going to be a popular place from BRS both with lesiure passengers and airbus employees flighting between HAM & BRE, the german market is starting to expand now from BRS hopefully the french regional will follow soon instead of just CDG & TLS etc

MerchantVenturer
29th Nov 2005, 12:59
Oh dear, Flybe really seems to have the hump with BRS. After criticising the concept of the owners of BRS trying to buy EXT, they have now reduced schedules next summer.

Next summer's timetable is showing only one daily BHD, carrying on from this winter's reduction from three daily last summer and previous years.

Bergerac is down to three a week, from last summer's daily (a new route from Exeter to Bergerac is starting with five weekly rotations), and Bordeaux is down to four a week from last summer's daily.

Toulouse remains daily and Jersey has been increased to daily from five a week last summer.

A far cry from three years ago when the new Flybe routes were introduced with hints of a major route network from BRS.

Devonair
29th Nov 2005, 21:13
Looks to me Flybe are focusing their efforts in the region 100 km to the south west of Bristol. Think they have been surprised with the success of EXT which has made them re-evaluate their presence and any plans they had for BRS.

Harry the Hound
1st Dec 2005, 12:34
Surely if Flybe had the hump with BRS then they'd have the hump with BHX too as its the same company that owns both airports as far as i was aware.
Also i know for a fact that a Flybe director flew out of BRS a few weeks ago and was so happy about the service he recieved that he wrote a letter to Sevisair saying how brilliant the service from the check-in agent was.
There is obviously some reason for no BRS expansion but I would put it down to the strength of EZY and the fact they're probably getting an excellent deal from EXT, they have the HQ, sales dept and maintance hangers there for godsake so they must get a brilliant deal from the airport
I dont see why were that worried about no Flybe expansion, at the end of the day Flybe have changed their mind on what they said a few years ago and theres no law to say they're not allowed to so we just gt to settle on the fact, and its not as if BRS is going short on extra routes because of it, not with WOW/EZY/BA and Easterns ever expanding networks out of BRS, and you never know, if the rumour on CWL/FR falling out is correct then we may even pick up some more from there, and theres no reason why we cant have both major LCCs in BRS, EMA/LTN/STN and LPL manage it so why not BRS!

MerchantVenturer
1st Dec 2005, 13:27
Harry

Having the hump was made a bit tongue-in-cheek. I note you are a new poster, and it's always good to hear fresh views in the Bristol thread. A belated welcome.

I am very much pro-BRS, which I have used as a pax for more years than I care to remember and still do so, although I am not an uncritical supporter.

I guess there are several reasons for the Flybe pull-back in routes. They obviously now realise that EXT is an excellent performer since being given a real chance and are concentrating the bulk of their south west flights from there. The points you and Devonair made support this contention.

easyJet's apparently successful BRS-BFS route may have had a bearing on the reduction in Flybe's BRS-BHD rotations.

Flybe made similar expansion hints at such airports as NCL, yet to be fulfilled, but you are right about a change of mind and they may now see better commercial opportunities in the smaller regional airports such as EXT and NWI, in the short term at least.

BRS has done incredibly well over recent years so it may be time for a breather, in relative terms anyway, although those in the know seem to be suggesting fairly imminent further expansion of routes/schedules, though possibly not at the express speed of the past few years.

BTW, I believe Macquarie (the half owners of BRS with Ferrovial owning the other half) only own around 24% of BHX, and Ferrovial don't figure there at all.

NCLRULES
17th Dec 2005, 19:26
Just been checking the Ryanair UK - Dublin timetables and Ryanair appear to be only operating 6x weekly to Dublin once a day, with no Saturday flight.

Shannon remains daily.

Obviously this reduction is due to Ryanair using a much larger aircraft on the route. Similar reductions have been made at other airports.

MerchantVenturer
17th Dec 2005, 19:43
If you look at the East Midlands thread you will see that someone has posted that publication of the full FR summer 06 schedule has been put back from 16th to 23rd December.

Morning flights don't appear to have been released for booking yet anywhere as far as I can determine.

I had anticipated that the previously flown 3 x daily FR BRS-DUB rotations would be reduced to 2 daily with the bigger 738 replacing the 732 on the route.

It would still give almost the same number of seats with FR between BRS and DUB.

Let's wait and see.

redfield
19th Dec 2005, 10:54
Anyone know whay the Budapest flights isn't daily after March 26th? Doesn't go on Tuesday or Thursday according to the Easy website.

MerchantVenturer
19th Dec 2005, 11:55
BRS-BUD is only operating M W F and Sun during this winter as well and will continue on these days in summer 06.

NCL-BUD has similarly been reduced to 4 rotations per week this winter and next summer.

I wonder whether easyJet anticipate starting BRS-MAH earlier in summer 06 than they did last summer. To accommodate MAH then they had to reduce BRS-BUD and BRS-MAD from daily to 6 rotations per week (as I'm sure you are aware), but MAH only ran from the end of July until early September (the main school holidays).

Can't think of any other reason, the loads last summer on the BRS-BUD seemed pretty good, although I appreciate that the yield may not have been all the airline desired. Who knows?.

Whilst on easyJet and BRS, did anyone else notice that when, a few weeks ago, easyJet published on its website the initial list of routes to go on sale next summer, they showed a BRS-CDG. It only stayed in the list for two or three days though.

Whether it was a complete mistake or whether someone mistakenly and prematurely put the route 'on display' is intriguing.

At the time someone posted on this thread that he/she thought it spelt the death knell for BACx on BRS-CDG, but that post seems to have disappeared (understandably I suppose).

redfield
19th Dec 2005, 18:14
Very intriguing! What about CDG and Krakow for the 9th aircraft when it arrives (if it arrives) after the new stands are completed on the W apron? Wonder how WOW would react if EZY started BRS-MAN!!! :uhoh:

MerchantVenturer
19th Dec 2005, 20:53
I would hate to see Air Southwest sidelined. I think it is a super little airline that is growing steadily. I note it is to base one aircraft at BRS in the summer and I would hope for more routes from them in the future. However, they would probably have to branch out into mainland Europe if they intended developing more routes out of BRS because I can’t think of another realistic UK destination not covered at present by them or other airlines.

Perhaps they might be interested in some French holiday-home routes, especially now that Flybe is reducing its Bergerac and Bordeaux operations from BRS this coming summer, apparently to concentrate on its base at EXT as far as the West Country/South West is concerned.

As for easyJet and BRS, the BRS website contains the minutes of the AGM of the Airport Consultative Committee that took place last July. MD Andrew Skipp told the meeting that, “easyJet was committed to introducing an additional aircraft (at BRS) each year.” I note the use of the past tense although I suspect it is intended to convey the current situation. However, he did not qualify how many years this arrangement would last.

I was very disappointed when the CPH route was chopped (having used it and would have done again), seemingly because of the Danish government’s insistence on levying a charge of £7 per passenger at Copenhagen Airport. The route built up nicely and carried over seven and a half thousand passengers in both July and August last year (CAA stats), a percentage load factor in the low 80s, but presumably the yield was not good enough, perhaps mainly because of the passenger levy.

I know there is a Polish community in Bristol but am not sure how big it is, although a lot of bus drivers have been recruited from that country to drive the buses in Bristol and Bath. Perhaps they would like regular trips home on a different sort of bus. :)

airhumberside
20th Dec 2005, 11:28
However, they would probably have to branch out into mainland Europe if they intended developing more routes out of BRS because I can’t think of another realistic UK destination not covered at present by them or other airlines.
I may be biased, but Humberside

Red Snake
20th Dec 2005, 17:20
All the Nordic countries are a gaping hole for BRS. Since EZY dropped CPH, there's not a single Nordic destination except a couple of Santa Claus flights.

I used CPH at least half a dozen times during the year it operated & it was always close to full. I'm amazed no one else has moved in to the fill the gap. And how about ARN & HEL? Good connections through AMS, but surely big enough to support a direct flight?

Did BRS ever have direct Nordic flights, EZY CPH excepted?

MerchantVenturer
20th Dec 2005, 19:14
Red Snake,

I've been flying out of BRS for 25 years or more (as a pax I hasten to add) and there was never a scheduled carrier nor even regular charters to any Nordic country in that time.

There was a limited charter programme to Bergen this summer (05) but as far as I am aware, apart from odd day trip flights, that has been it.

Sweden might be a contender for Ryanair visiting BRS on a 'W' as they do from DUB and SNN.

When easyJet pulled out of the CPH route I was informed by the BRS management that they were very confident of getting a replacement carrier. Perhaps things are still moving behind the scenes in this regard and it's taking longer than they believed.

You mentioned the Santa flights. This seems to be a burgeoning industry from many UK airports. BRS alone must have had at least a dozen flights to Lapland in the lead-up to this Christmas, which when you consider the fares (and holiday costs of those staying in Santaland for a few days) shows how much disposable cash there is around.

airhumberside,

I hadn't forgotten HUY but I was thinking specifically of Air Southwest.

BRS-HUY seems a bit unlikely but so did BRS-MME but Eastern are trying it 3 times a day with J31s, so perhaps if it was to be operated Eastern might be a more likely carrier with their smaller a/c and particular business model.

Jamesair
20th Dec 2005, 19:31
I thought you Bristol guys would have been boasting about the pax figure for the airport mentioned in an aviation related article in the TIMES yesterday. "Bristol traffic has doubled to 55m in 2005"

Eat your heart out HRW.

aeulad
20th Dec 2005, 19:35
Air Southwest would be the perfect carrier for a Bristol-Humberside route. I am sure Norwich will be a success and, with no competition from HUY the South of England at all, a similar route to HUY would surely prosper. Once daily, akin to BRS-NWI.

Regards

Mike

a bristolian
20th Dec 2005, 20:19
Jamesair

Not interested in taking over HRW.

More interested in re-taking our position as the UK's 8th busiest
airport - which i think should have done right about now - if not a bit sooner!!

Happy Xmas everyone!

MerchantVenturer
24th Dec 2005, 13:07
Just been checking the Ryanair UK - Dublin timetables and Ryanair appear to be only operating 6x weekly to Dublin once a day, with no Saturday flight.
Ryanair timteable now published for summer 06.

DUB-BRS remains at 3 daily rotations with 2 on Sats and 2 on Suns.

Given that the 738 will be on the route permanently this represents around an extra 350 FR seats each weekday compared to when the 732 mainly operated the route - a lot of seats to try to fill.

CAA pax stats for FR's other BRS route are published for the first time. The SNN-BRS route carried 6525 pax in November, averaging 109 per flight. Not a huge load factor when one considers the equipment is the 738 but, given this is a brand new route that commenced at the beginning of winter with an early evening scheduling, it might be taken as a promising start.

a b,

Still 10th at present - 5,150,844 on CAA's rolling 12 months at end of November compared to NCL's 5,171,512, although BRS did have 13,000 more pax in November than Wor Jackie's airport.

Happy Christmas to you and to everyone else associated with PPRuNe.

Harry the Hound
29th Dec 2005, 14:47
A little birdy told me that apparently FCA now looking at bringing in 757 before next winter, poss as early as MAY and operate it alongside an A321 + new tix desk before summer and poss of more routes next winter on top of SSH/BJL/AGA announced a little while back, quite suprised BIA management haven't put a press statement out regarding AGA as it is a spanking new route for BRS, c'mon BIA, FCA treat you to a new route and you don't say owt about it!!.
Also heard that Flybe getting very arsey down in EXT demanding a hell of a lot, thought that was quite intresting as if they have fallen out with BRS and apparently falling out with EXT where they gona have left in the south west? Mind you its all rumours so we shouldnt take it to seriously.:ok:

MerchantVenturer
30th Dec 2005, 15:47
............poss of more routes next winter on top of SSH/BJL/AGA announced a little while back, quite suprised BIA management haven't put a press statement out regarding AGA as it is a spanking new route for BRS..............
Harry,

Could you kindly clarify the following? Many thanks.

Are First Choice going to do BJL in winter06/07 with their own aircraft or will they use the current (winter 05/06 and previous winters) twice a week to BJL operated by Astraeus on behalf of the Gambia Experience?

And if they do SSH next winter will they use one of the existing up to 3 times a week rotations by other airlines or use their own aircraft?

As for AGA, the minutes of the BRS Consultative Committee AGM back in July show Andrew Skipp saying the AGA route was commencing this year (05/06), although no tour operator or airline was mentioned.

AFIK it isn't operating this winter. Maybe BRS are holding back until they are sure.

GrahamK
30th Dec 2005, 17:01
Quite a few UK airports getting AGA charters now.
LGW, MAN, BHX (?) and NCL have them for this winter.
Good to see Morrocco market expanding :)

airhumberside
30th Dec 2005, 17:17
Morrocco is certainly booming. They have a low cost airline, operating to Europe (including LGW) - Atlas Blue. Also the TUI group are investing in a new Morrocan low cost airline. Part of this boom may be down an EU-Morrocco open skies deal

Harry the Hound
2nd Jan 2006, 00:23
MV - BJL and SSH to be operated by FCA on a part week based 757, unsure on crewing details at the moment, believe crew management in BRS are aiming to get BRS crews operating it, Not sure on Flight deck crew yet, suppose depends on whats happening this summer re 757 as obviously the current FCA Airbus pilots would probably need line training or something on the Boeing.
AGA also to be operated by FCA on their current based A321.
If you read press releases from First Choice Holidays over recent years then you can see they're very keen on doing more mid-long range routes and stepping away from the crowded LOCO areas like mainland spain, good idea if you ask me.:ok:

MerchantVenturer
8th Jan 2006, 14:56
Harry,

Thanks for the clarification.

As you say First Choice, along with the other major tour operators, are keen to expand into routes that the locos would not find expedient to operate.

BRS has a decent clutch of mid-range charter/IT routes already with five flights to three Egyptian destinations at various times this winter, as well as the continuation of the seemingly successful twice a week to Banjul.

As an outsider I can only conclude that the runway prevents regular holiday flights to the likes of Florida, the Caribbean and Mexico.

Tui seem to have decided to concentrate more of their efforts in this part of the world at CWL, with regular charters this coming summer to the destinations I mentioned in the last paragraph.

It seems the best hope for BRS in this sector might be First Choice, a company that is very strong out of BRS, although people who know more about technical matters than I do suggest that non-stop flights may have to await the Boeing 787, of which I believe FCA has ordered six at present with first deliveries expected in 2009. I don't know whether FCA's re-configured Boeing 767s (with more leg room and thus fewer passengers) would still be unable to use the BRS runway for Florida/Caribbean-type flights.

On another subject, it was announced this week that a government planning inspector has recommended that no incursion into the green belt at the south side of the airport be allowed in the next five years. This might impact on BRS's plans to expand car parking in this area as part of its master plan looking to 2015 and up to 9 million annual pax.

Better news is the same inspector recommended that the north side of the airport be removed from the green belt, which would allow the airport to develop such things in its draft master plan as an on-site hotel, multi-storey car parks, extended terminal building, office block and expanded eastern apron.

However, if the northside was taken out of the green belt, many of these things would still require planning permission of course but the planning inspector's recommendation is a step in the right direction, but no more than that: there will undoubtedly be opponents popping up every step of the way along the green belt and planning legal processes.

ATCO1987
8th Jan 2006, 15:01
I have heard talk of a Florida flight for Summer 06. In total I think theres supposed to be 3 transatlantic routes, 2 of which I think are COA. So whats the 3rd? Could it be Florida? Or is all what Ive heard just a complete load of twoddle? :).

Talking of biggies, OHY A300 expected this summer too.

Dan.

MerchantVenturer
8th Jan 2006, 15:19
ATCO

I'm not heard of any Florida charters for summer 06. I know some posters on here last summer thought that FCA might start at least one transatlantic this coming summer but AFAIK they haven't announced anything and I would have thought it is now too late.

I can't think where else CO would want to fly to in the USA from BRS. They have a huge hub at EWR and part of the BRS-EWR raison d'etre seems to be utilising this hub for onward travel to other parts of North America.

Your mentioning the A300 reminds me that Iberia used to operate this type from BRS to TFS around twenty years ago, and it was one of these that aqua-planed off the end of runway 27.

ATCO1987
8th Jan 2006, 15:23
Sorry didnt make myself clear; 2 are COA to KEWR as far as I know; they are supposed to be starting twice daily.

As for the 3rd, again, still no confirmation.

Aye Ive seen a pic of the A300, woops! <G>.

Dan.

Confirmed Must Ride
9th Jan 2006, 06:00
Co would not be launching another flight to any other US destination. Co would only increase frequency to EWR as they use this to feed to other US destinations. Daily service is resuming in early March.

ATCO1987
9th Jan 2006, 08:52
As I say, as far as I know they are just introducing twice daily to KEWR.

Confirmed Must Ride
9th Jan 2006, 10:20
No grounds for that rumour. CO running out of a/c as it is.

Harry the Hound
9th Jan 2006, 11:01
I still feep hearing rumours about BRS-BOS route but I dont think that'd be CO, More likely AA or UA I'd of thought and thats no probs for a 757, its only 6 hr flight.
I'd be astonished if CO went to twice daily!
FCA definatley have something up their sleeves my sources are telling me, think its going to be 757s not 321s by summer 2007, allong with some new routes, but cant see any long haul with them till 787, I'd guess that if they're going to re-train the 321 pilots to 757 then thats a very good indication that there will be a 787 based at BRS, Infact i'd even put money on it:ok: .

GrahamK
9th Jan 2006, 11:25
As far as I know, the 787s will be used to replace existing 767s at MAN and LGW.

MerchantVenturer
9th Jan 2006, 12:18
According to another aviation message board site that I occasionally visit, CO is to increase its rotations to EWR this coming summer from EDI, GLA, MAN and LGW, although in some cases the increase also means smaller aircraft. I have not confirmed any of this but have no reason to doubt it.

Perhaps that’s where the idea of increased frequency on BRS-EWR came from. Wouldn’t CO want to make sure the current BRS-EWR route scheduling is worthwhile first before embarking on expansion?

Before we get too carried away I think it’s worth mentioning the BRS draft Master Plan which states there is limited demand from the Bristol catchment area for many worldwide destinations (the draft plan lists some of these in its section on runway capacity).

The draft plan goes on to state that passenger forecasts identify demand for four potential long haul routes by scheduled carriers: New York (already served), Washington, Dubai and another US destination such as Atlanta. The plan deals with the period up to 2030, albeit forecasts from 2015-2030 are only in outline form.

In addition, there is further demand for long haul services by holiday charter airlines, with the total long haul market (scheduled and charter) estimated at 1.2 million annual pax by 2030.

As BRS is currently forecast to have an annual throughput of around 12 million pax by 2030 it can be seen that it will still be an overwhelmingly UK and European airport.

As for the base allocation of FCA's 787s, one assumes that intially there would not be enough long haul work from BRS to justify a full-time aircraft and that equipment from other bases would be used for part of the week. Anyway, this is all in the future and no more than speculation at best.

redfield
9th Jan 2006, 21:39
The only Onur flights next summer so far are on Monday mornings operated by A321's. Rumours of KTHY twice a week to Istanbul and Ercan!!

Confirmed Must Ride
10th Jan 2006, 06:56
CO MAN going to double daily but with 2 757's. EDI/GLA sharing a second daily flight (3xGLAEWR and 4xEDIEWR). LGW reinstating 3xEWR daily (777,762,752). DUB 2xEWR Daily (757). SNN 2xEWR Daily (757). LGW 1xCLE daily (757) returning

BRS,BHX,BFS staying at 1xEWR Daily

Centre cities
10th Jan 2006, 16:23
On the subject of Continental schedules, BHX was 2 x daily last summer and is 10 per week for the main summer period on 2006.

The reduction from last summer I belive is due partly to the Bristol and Belfast flights taking passengers.( BFS pax had used to connect vis BE from BHD.)

On that basis I see no chance at all on 2 a day BRS.

Centre cities.

Harry the Hound
12th Jan 2006, 12:31
As far as I'm aware with FCA the 787s will be operating alongside the 767, Picked up the First Choice winter 06/07 brochure and the BJL and SSH are showing prem upgrades available, FCA only operate that on the 321 and 767, so does that mean they're gona attempt the BJL on 321(which would be a hell of a struggle as they cant get to Cyprus sometime) and not 757? or does that mean a 767 coming into do it? Could be possible as they will have 3 extra 767s by next winter.
Also heard TCX will be defo coming back in summer 07 for a year round base, not sure on a/c type though.

MerchantVenturer
19th Jan 2006, 18:35
Jamesair
Not interested in taking over HRW.
airport - which i think should have done right about now - if not a bit sooner!!
Happy Xmas everyone!

Up to 9th now (just!), according to latest CAA provisional stats (for December).

In the rolling 12 month period ending 31 December 2005 BRS crept past NCL with 5,199,321 annual pax compared to NCL's 5,187,538.

In December BRS had 364,846 pax and NCL 324,064.

In recent years BRS seems to do better than NCL in the winter and NCL does better than BRS in the summer.

Still a long, long way though for either airport to reach 8th position. :{

WATABENCH
21st Jan 2006, 22:35
Anybody heard any news bout new routes lately, threads got a bit boring recently

MerchantVenturer
23rd Jan 2006, 19:27
Hello WATABENCH. Good to hear from you again. I thought that you may have gone to pastures new. One or two of the ‘old’ posters with connections to BRS no longer seem to post which is a great pity because their gentle hints were more valuable than speculation from people like me.

It’s a quiet time on the BRS thread it is true but not at the airport of course. The airport was within a gnat’s whisker of 5.2 million pax in 2005 and ski/snow destinations this winter seem to be setting new records, what with 17 (or is it 16 as the MYT to SZG doesn’t seem to be running?) charters each week, plus the scheds with GVA double daily with easyJet, GNB 3 x weekly with easyJet and TLS 6 x weekly with Flybe. Add in the other new scheduled routes to other places, the extra charter flights to Egypt and once again a new seasonal record is being set.

BRS has an average annual passenger growth of 13.3% over the past ten years, more than double the average UK airport growth. Even in 2005 BRS achieved 13%.

However, I suspect these phenomenal percentage annual increases will begin to fall off from now on. That’s what the airport is suggesting in its draft Master Plan. Doesn’t mean that a significantly higher pax total won’t occur in 2006 of course. It will, short of completely unforeseen circumstances, and in 2007 and so on. After all, this winter is off to a flying start (sorry!).

As for rumours, I haven’t heard any, other than a new FR route at some point, worked as a ‘W’ from a FR base. From a personal point of view I would love easyJet to restore the CPH route. It built up very well in pax number terms but the airline suggested the reason for its demise was the Danish Govt’s tax grab of £7 per pax – BRS was not the only easyJet CPH route axed. Well, the Danish Govt has just reduced this tax by 50% so I wonder if easyJet will have another look.

WOWBOY
23rd Jan 2006, 19:41
How is WOW's BRS-NWI service doing in terms of bookings anyone know!?

BRS30
24th Jan 2006, 21:30
have heard its the best new route that WOW have put on sale

WOWBOY
24th Jan 2006, 21:46
Looks promising then!!

I could see it going 2xdaily if the demand is there!!

WATABENCH
29th Jan 2006, 21:20
FCA Definatly rid of the 321s from S07, replaced by 2x757.
Could be interesting with parking stands, anybody got info on new stand plans after coach satalite built, are stands 4 and 5 still going?
The 321s fit on 4 and 5 but a 757 wont, so are they remarking stands larger for 757s its going to be interesting in mornings with 1XBY, 1XCO and 2xFCA otherwise.
I couldnt see any new stand plans in the masterplan.
Can someone shed some light?

GrahamK
29th Jan 2006, 23:12
No CO 2 Daily BRS-EWR yet, need decent loads on the current service first.

MerchantVenturer
30th Jan 2006, 11:26
WATABENCH,

I’m not sure if you are referring specifically to the provision of more stands for a/c of 757 size but the BIA draft Master Plan certainly mentions the need for additional parking stands.

It states that up to 30 parking stands will be needed to accommodate 9 million pax per annum which total it currently forecasts to be reached by 2015. These stands would be provided by expanding the aircraft apron to the west of the Air Traffic Control Tower and in the longer term to the east of the fire station on the site of the old terminal building/administration offices. I presume they will be built taking into account the size of a/c likely to be using the airport at that time.

I believe that some work is currently taking place to increase parking availability on the west apron. I stand :O to be corrected but this is my recollection from the comments made by others in this thread earlier this winter and also from what Andrew Skipp (MD) told me when I spoke to him at a Master Plan roadshow. Mr Skipp also told me the new stands would be introduced gradually as the need built up and he foresaw no problems with parking a/c this coming summer.

Graham,

CAA stats on BRS-EWR from the commencement of the route on 20 May 2005 to end of December 2005 show just under 55,000 pax used it in that period. Continental’s publicly-stated target when they commenced the route was 75,000 pax in the first year. This looks to be comfortably achievable, and indeed should be exceeded, especially as the route goes back to daily from 5 x weekly on 7 March.

However, I agree with you and others that an increase on the 1 x daily rotation is highly unlikely at the present time.

GrahamK
30th Jan 2006, 11:28
My apologies, last time I had a glance at BRS-EWR figures it didn't seem to be performing too greatly.

MerchantVenturer
30th Jan 2006, 12:13
Graham

I don't think these bare figures mean the route is setting the world alight, especially when compared, for example, to what the CO EDI-EWR achieved in its first year when it commenced in summer 2004. 75,000 was perhaps a modest target.

For the period May-Dec 2005 the BRS-EWR seems to be running two or three thousand or so pax behind the CO BFS-EWR which commenced a week later. These figures are not definitive because those for December are only provisional.

However, we know the real measure of success is the yield and that will of course be a commercial confidence.

The BRS route seemed to have a slow start with gruesome predictions in another aviation website MB that it would not last long. Apparently the major problem was in getting American pax to use it, or even know about it. Anecdotal evidence suggests this is gradually being overcome.

WATABENCH
30th Jan 2006, 22:39
3rd weekly charter to NAP!
Looks like fridays will be Naples day, FCA have added a lunchtime flight during summer on 'W' thru BRS using the CWL SSV a/c.
MYT and BY already operating on Fridays so now means 3 flights, FC Hols used to have seats on the MYT in previous years, and TC Hols are sharing on the FCA and believe they used to share on BY.

MerchantVenturer
7th Feb 2006, 21:01
This evening ITV West showed a programme concerning the expansion of BRS. It lacked subjectivity and was clearly slanted in favour of opponents to expansion.

Local NIMBYs were paraded with predictable and inaccurate assertions (from my own knowledge having been brought up in the area sixty years ago and been very close to it ever since) that weren’t cross-examined by the programme presenter (a general reporter and not a transport or aviation specialist).

The programme visited LTN so that viewers could see the absolute hell that BRS would face in ten years time when pax numbers there reached those that Luton currently handles.

At the end of the scare-mongering and one-sided 25-minute piece the presenter told viewers that their worst fears would be realised anyway. She interviewed the responsible local authority cabinet member who said there was little the council could to counter the airport expansion in the face of the government’s determination to proceed with its White Paper plans.

The BRS MD said he anticipates another £100 million being spent on the airport in the next five years.

He also said pax figures would be up from 5.2 million in 2005 to 5.6 million in 2006.

redfield
8th Feb 2006, 12:12
Ref. the stands: 27 will be re-instated as a 767 stand facing East/West, it will have stand 28 to the north of it, also 767-sized and facing East/West. There will be three additional stands to the West of these, I think they'll be at least 321 size stands when they're completed. I'm not sure which, if any or all of these will be available by S06 though. I haven't heard anything about 4 and 5 "going." Where did this come from?

crackling jet
8th Feb 2006, 15:03
how many 767 movements are expected this summer,rumour suggests that britannias 767 based at cwl last year will reposition to brs for this year

MerchantVenturer
8th Feb 2006, 15:19
I believe that CWL will need a TUI 767 for its S06 weekly transatlantic charters to Mexico, Dominican Republic and Florida.

In addition, the 757 will remain at CWL to operate the shorter TUI charters and will be joined by a 738 as some of the TUI summer frequencies to the likes of ALC and PMI have been increased significantly for the coming summer.

That was the plan when S06 was announced by TUI last year and I haven't heard any news to the contrary, although of course I stand to be corrrected.

The only regular 767 into BRS last summer was a Britannia (as it was then) 763 from/to PMI on a Friday afternoon.

WATABENCH
9th Feb 2006, 06:13
Redfield,
I've been told that stands 4 and 5 were going as eventually the fire station was moving and a/c were to be parked nose in to where it stood, this then means they could get rid of the tin shed tunnel and make stands 1,2,3 bigger:confused:
I cant see BY using a 767 for all their movements out of BRS, it seems they want to go in the opposite way as FCA as in concentrate on CWL not BRS.
Quick question if anyone knows, I've heard Air Malta are staying for the summer along with the 2 XLA units, anyone know if thats right?

MerchantVenturer
9th Feb 2006, 10:17
WATABENCH

I don’t know if you have had a chance to look at the full Draft Master Plan – it is rather weighty at 160 pages but does give a clear idea of where the airport wants to go. It will be interesting to see how much the final Master Plan differs in the light of public consultation.

The draft plan contains many drawings, maps and indices that, even as a non-technical person, I found easy to follow. It ranges over various options on all manner of things affecting airport expansion and sets down its favoured course in each.

BIA wants to extend the current terminal building both to the east and west and ideally wants the first part of the extension in operation by 2009. For this to happen it will have to lodge a planning application early this year once the final Master Plan is published.

Assuming BIA’s plans for the terminal come to fruition (no certainty of course) the plans show parking stands for six aircraft nose in to the expanded terminal building, effectively an enlargement of the current situation with stands 1, 2 and 3.

These aircraft would be accessed by means of a two-level pier between the terminal building and the aircraft stands. The draft Master Plan defines the two-level pier as a covered corridor building.

However, a coaching facility would exist within the terminal at the east end of the building for pax accessing aircraft on remote stands. The draft plan states that these arrangements would “facilitate simple and effective vertical separation of arriving and departing passengers and the segregation of walking and coached passengers.”

If these plans do eventuate that part of the apron currently taken up by stands 4 and 5 will be used for part of the extended nose-in parking stands. Furthermore, there will be no need for the existing covered walkway which would be in the way of these developments anyway.

ATCO1987
9th Feb 2006, 10:19
Stand 6 has been removed an work on a holding lounge has commenced. Weve got contractors constantly going in and out of the security gate to work on it.

WPD has moved to the Southside and hangar is being demolished, or has been, and this will enable further extension of the western apron.

MerchantVenturer
13th Feb 2006, 11:24
I was reading up on the Ferrovial interest in acquiring BAA and discovered that its and Macquarie's purchase of BRS in 2001 has turned out to be one of the best investments ever made by these groups.

A recent refinancing has left them sitting on an 180% return on their original investment and they still own the freehold on the airport.

Bearing in mind that they have already ploughed in many millions of pounds on developing the airport, with another £100 million to be shelled out in the next five years (according to airport MD, Andrew Skipp on local televison recently), it shows that there is money to be made in the business if opportunities are grasped at the right time by people who know what they are doing.

WATABENCH
16th Feb 2006, 06:46
Some more interesting things going on with FCA, looking at FC hols site again and no prem showing for any of their flights, so guess that means 757 instead of 321 as of Nov 01st 2006, not May 01st 2007, also the AGA has gone on to TCX!
At one point FCA were haveing 321 for nxt winter with a visiting 757 doing BJL and SSH.

rampboy767
16th Feb 2006, 11:16
FCA will be replacing their A321s at BRS wth 757s early than planned, since from what i hav heard their leases are due to run out and will be returned to the leaser. On another i heard a rumour that come winter 07 TCX will be based here all year round including the summer season, aircraft unknown but prob a A320. BY as far as im aware this summer will not operate a 767-300 on the PMI route again this summer, due to the serivce from servisair last year. BYs words is BRS cannot handle a 767 lol and prob the fact a 767 with be based at CWL their not that interested in BRS at the mom.

BRS30
16th Feb 2006, 11:53
The descision by TOM not to use the B767 is a commercial one and not that the handling company cannot provide adequate services.

hostiegirl
16th Feb 2006, 13:03
If the strong rumours are true that thomas cook are re-opening brs for summer 2007 will it effect fca? in 2001 when jmc closed it's brs summer base most of their work went to fca, so if they take that work back will fca still have enough work for 2 a/c?:confused:

WindSheer
16th Feb 2006, 13:27
First Choice holidays cant afford to go backwards at BRS.
I would be very very surprised if they downsized to 1 a/c - VERY surprised.
HOWEVER, First Choice have done more surprising recently than any other company. :eek:

crackling jet
16th Feb 2006, 13:48
The descision by TOM not to use the B767 is a commercial one and not that the handling company cannot provide adequate services.

so how about the 15-20 mins wait for steps,GPUs and pax assisstance vehicles!!!, talking of steps, easyjet reportedly getting new A319 today, which i believe now makes 6. (no airstairs) and all the other night stoppers, my point is when driving round the ramp, how come there are only 19 sets of steps, easyjet alone need 16 (737 do not use the built in steps any more) leaving 3 sets for FCA,TUI,AirMalta,Excel,TCX and the occasional AEU coming through as split load in the early hours,not to mention staff. so is this adequate services?!!!

saltrock
16th Feb 2006, 14:06
crackling jet, When did all the night stopping aircraft arrive at once? 15 - 20 minutes for steps? on what?
More equipment is needed at BRS to cope with the expanding airport, more
communication between airlines, engineers and handling agents would reduce any delays for equipment.

MerchantVenturer
16th Feb 2006, 14:43
Listening to you aviation/airport/tour ops boys and girls based in the Severn area discussing the possible permutations of based operators and numbers of aircraft I wonder, as someone outside the industry who uses local airports (mainly BRS) on charter flights, no-frills and so-called full service operators, where a full week's work would come from for the extra charter aircraft that are being speculated.

Compared to many other UK airports BRS did well in 2005 with an increase of nearly 1% in its charter pax over the previous year. However, it seems that much of this increase was taken up by BRS's outstanding charter performance in winter: nearly 10% increase in Dec 2005 over Dec 2004 for instance.

So, unless the charter operators can find more 'exotic' destinations too far away for the low-cost airlines to contemplate, it appears to me, and I accept that my lack of experience in the business may make my judgement somewhat naive, they will either have to try to compete as a low cost and/or seat-only carrier, as Thomsonfly appears to be doing this summer at CWL on the likes of ALC and PMI, or wonder how any extra aircraft will be utilised.

BRS seems in an odd position in that there is perceived to be a marked reluctance to operate any long haul charter flights, the very area where the charter people are looking to grow.

Given BRS's popularity on almost all its routes is the runway so much of an impediment to the operating of long-haul charters? I can understand someone like Tui operating its long-haul out of CWL instead of BRS because the longer runway there makes for ease of operation. However, BRS carried 1.3 million charter pax last year which is only 1/2 million less than CWL's annual figure for all pax.

It seems to me that there is a big market that someone else could be picking up. I know of many people in the Bristol area who have flogged up to Gatwick in the past year to fly to places like Florida and Mexico, and others have used the likes of CWL and EXT for transatlantic charters.

crackling jet
16th Feb 2006, 15:36
Saltrock,

i know they don,t all arrive at the same time,however early morning and late night, on numerous accassions when requesting equipment we are told "sorry mate, we haven.t enough to go round, its all being used" so we are unable to carry out work. I know more equipment is needed, but the same thing was said this time last year, so is more equipment coming ?

It seems to be a vicious circle, no more kit till the business is here and operators think no more business till the kit to handle it is here, re speaking to engineer, operator has wanted to operate 767 here for couple
of years but handlers had no towbar (if you are who i think you are, you will know what im talking about) so we stay as we are. in additon how many times have diversions been turned away because we could not handle them, in the old days on these occasions the airport would be packed with a/c, even the taxiway would be closed and used for parking

The way CWL is going now, every one will be streaming accross the bridge or even down to Exeter

saltrock
16th Feb 2006, 17:42
crackling jet

I can't argue - there will be times when equipment is not available. However, BRS is not the same airport that it was a year ago so you can't compare. The rate at which the airport develops is often faster than the required equipment can be obtained. I know it's not perfect, but it is the real world. The shape, size and layout of the airport has changed so much since i have been here (and will change again) it requires a proactive approach from all to provide any service. Specific aircraft equipment to enable airline to operate the plane of there choice from BRS is not determined by if it can be obtained. A 767 bar is available at BRS, although it is provided by one airline for there company aircraft. Other tow-bars, ground equipment are provided by airlines to allow them to operate with minimal fuss . This is a pro-active approach.
The airport is in a stronger position than it is given credit for, I can not see CWL or EX developing as quickly or offering the same variation of destination.

rampboy767
16th Feb 2006, 21:36
At the airport is growing so fast there will be most nightstopping aircraft than there is stands for. Equipment at most airports at busy periods will be few and far between because of the demand, but it is frusurating at BRS when u get a aircraft with under 100pax that still wants 2 sets steps. When in fact at most airports like BHX, MAN & LGW aircraft that go on remote stands or require steps only get one set! Yet at BRS we try for every aircraft to get 2 sets of steps & people still moan when some aircraft dont get both on the early morining wave. The many problem is also how some of the equipment is not maintaned correctly and some equipment is off the run for long periods of time. As for handling aircraft will can handle a 767, we have steps and Hi Lo to use on the aircraft & we now have a pushback stand for it (26N) with a CO push back bar and the new big white push back tug which can push any aircraft including a 767 & 747. The company will not provide at 767 bar unless they see more of a demand on the aircraft or an airline required it on a pushback stand. Over the past 12months the company has received new equipment like steps, flatbeds, gpu's, tracters and 2 new pushback tugs, its jst with the ever increasing demand its hard to keep up.

WATABENCH
17th Feb 2006, 18:00
I would be very very surprised if they downsized to 1 a/c - VERY surprised.
HOWEVER, First Choice have done more surprising recently than any other company. :eek:

More suprising again, talking to some LGW FCA flight decks they're saying it looks nearly set in stone that come summer 07 they will have 3 x 757 BASED! :eek:

canuck slf
19th Feb 2006, 06:38
I am an ex Brit visiting UK from Canada in May. Friends have booked us a holiday in Crete using flights KM 4205 BRS-HER on May 5 and KM 4506 HER-BRS on May 16.
I gather KM is Air Malta and am guessing the four figure flight number means a charter. Apart from that I am having a problem getting any information.
If anybody can pass on any other details it would be much appreciated.
I am especially interested to know times, is the flight via Malta or non stop, A/C type, or anything else.

Thanks in anticipation.

mmeteesside
19th Feb 2006, 07:48
Don't have the times, but can confirm the flight will be non-stop and the aircraft should be an A320 (they have 2 based in UK at BRS and BHX)

WindSheer
20th Feb 2006, 12:29
Emirates were doing it a while back as well, just a way of attracting British people over.
Although, maybe Gulf are going to put an a330 into Lulsgate!!

MerchantVenturer
20th Feb 2006, 14:33
Emirates were doing it a while back as well, just a way of attracting British people over.
Although, maybe Gulf are going to put an a330 into Lulsgate!!
AFAIK, Aer Lingus still intend to on Friday for a rugby flight.

Will it have to backtrack along the runway as I imagine its wing span would overhang the taxiway?

BTW, a crew of Vicky Pollards might go down well in the Middle East. :cool:

crackling jet
20th Feb 2006, 18:22
gone a little quiet on new routes this last couple of months, any whispers on anything in the offing?and whats the story on the " 3 x FCA 757,s for 07. how reliable was this and has anyone else heard similar, how about L/Haul ?

WATABENCH
21st Feb 2006, 02:28
Its a very very reliable source!

rampboy767
21st Feb 2006, 10:59
The Aer Lingus A330 when it comes in will backtrack on the runway depending on where it will park. Depending on what stands will not be in use at the time it could be stands: 23 - 26 closed for the A330 to park on or stands 8-12 and stands 16-14 closed for parking it on, depending how op's park all the other in and around the time on the A330.

redfield
21st Feb 2006, 11:47
Rampboy: I think it'll be parked on the E apron both visits: at least for the Monday flight, there'll be the BY on 26N and TCX on 25L parked long-term on the W so the A330 won't fit up there. and at the moment, a broken KM as well! :8

Vasto1M
21st Feb 2006, 12:12
What on earth is going on in the departure lounge at Bristol! Its just complete chaos, nowhere for anybody to sit while the building work is going on and doesn’t look like there will be any more seating added when the work is finished. When i passed through at the weekend there were people sitting on the floor blocking the walkways adding to the congestion, imagine it in the summer. The new arrangements of the gates seems very poor too, I felt sorry for the ground staff that had to work at them, but I have to say the Servisair staff looked very smart in their new uniforms.

MerchantVenturer
21st Feb 2006, 19:20
Thanks rampboy and redfield for info on Aer Lingus 330.

Local BBC Tv News revealed 'exclusively' the route of the new south Bristol bypass, linking up with the current ring road from the north and east of the city at Hicks Gate on the edge of Keynsham.

The 9-mile dual-carriageway extension would pass around the southern edge of Bristol to link with the main roads leaving the city to the south (A 37, A 38 and A 370).

If it is ever built, a big if at this stage, the ring road/bypass would take traffic from the M4 and M 5 around three sides of the Bristol conurbation and join the A 38 just outside the city boundary about three miles from the airport, with access to BRS being one of the main reasons for the proposal.

Inevitably, the protestors are already going into action.

GROUNDHOG
21st Feb 2006, 19:23
Oh no, Merchant Venturer.... does that mean I will miss 'Breakfast at Timothys'......?

WOWBOY
21st Feb 2006, 22:59
I have just noticed that Air Southwest will be operating a BRS-JER direct on a saturday :)

WATABENCH
22nd Feb 2006, 12:36
Didnt WOW operate that last summer anyway?

WOWBOY
22nd Feb 2006, 12:38
I m not sure I always thought it was via PLH

But I might be wrong

MerchantVenturer
22nd Feb 2006, 12:54
Last summer the Saturday WOW flight from BRS to JER did operate via PLH.

There was no JER-BRS flight on Saturdays last summer, either via PLH or direct.

In fact, the 'return' JER-BRS operated on Sundays again via PLH.

I'm guessing that the summer06 Saturday BRS-JER direct will utilise the soon-to-be-based WOW a/c at BRS.

On a different topic, there was a report in the local paper that last night an Eastern Airways J 41, with 21 pax and three crew, on route from BRS to ABZ, returned to BRS when there was a smell of smoke in the cabin and a smoke detector light in the toilet came on.

The Jetstream landed safely and "firefighters and engineers checked the plane" and discovered an electrical short circuit.

A replacement aircraft was arranged and left BRS at 2215, (3 hours later).

Yet again a reassuringly professional performance by all concerned it seems, and the airline also seems to have looked after its customers well.

I have to say that as a non-aviation person this sort of thing always gives me confidence and comfort in those who operate our airlines.

WOWBOY
22nd Feb 2006, 13:00
I'm guessing that the summer06 Saturday BRS-JER direct will utilise the soon-to-be-based WOW a/c at BRS

I think your right there.

WATABENCH
23rd Feb 2006, 07:05
With all these parking issues over the Aer Fungus A330 coming in, lets just hope it doesnt go majorly tech, cus I imagine diverts to CWL will be out the question with how busy they're guna be over the weekend!

redfield
23rd Feb 2006, 19:09
That was optimistic W. If it does go tech we're knackered. Mind you, if anything else on the ground at the same time goes tech we're knackered anyway, don't suppose it makes much difference really. Lets be positive: it'll all go according to plan, there'll be no issues, it'll come and go without any fuss and it won't get its undercarriage stuck in the grass beside the taxiway. "Come fly with me lets fly lets fly away!" Oink Oink!!!!! :ok:
I'm only joking, honest!:\

WATABENCH
24th Feb 2006, 07:48
Oh dear Oh dear - No EI A330 then! just an armada of 321s and 320s! must be some dissapointed spotters out there!:sad:
Nevamind theres always hope for Monday!:ok:

redfield
24th Feb 2006, 10:29
W - well at least BRS won't have to take the windsock down to accomodate the a/c! I've seen that done before elsewhere to allow similar sized a/c to operate.

Centre cities
26th Feb 2006, 23:54
I believe that the CAA figures for Bristol-New York for Jan show 4,711.

Belfast on the same frequency has 6,361.

Birmingham and Glasgow have approx 9,000 with 2 extra flights per week.

Surely this is rather an area of concern.

Is the flight subject of a subsidy at present, if so what happens when it ceases.

Were any flights lost in Jan due weather.

Centre cities

Confirmed Must Ride
27th Feb 2006, 05:57
Not quite sure how that works out.

CO 757 holds 172 total pax per flight - Jan had 22 flights operating. This should be a max of 3784.

Is this figure for flights both ways??

WATABENCH
27th Feb 2006, 06:54
I was under the impression the route was doing well!
Asking the concierge at BRS they say most flights are going out with 85% load factor.
Off topic a min, anybody know if EI have the A330 coming in today or have they changed it to a load of 320s/321s again?

dwlpl
27th Feb 2006, 07:27
Not quite sure how that works out.
CO 757 holds 172 total pax per flight - Jan had 22 flights operating. This should be a max of 3784.
Is this figure for flights both ways??
Yes, all CAA pax stats are there and back.

This being the case then the route is running at approx 62%.

But keep in mind that pax traffic is notoriously low between New Year and Easter.

WATABENCH
27th Feb 2006, 08:01
That doesnt make sense, are you sure the BFS service is down to 5 a week at the moment?, Its just the CO check-in always seems so busy and the vibe around here is that its doing well!
Just found out the EI A330 due in at 1230! No more questions your honor!

Fernando_Covas
27th Feb 2006, 09:20
Just found out the EI A330 due in at 1230! No more questions your honor!

Is anyone able to get a photo of this? I've really got to see how much space it will take up.

WATABENCH
27th Feb 2006, 11:49
CHRIST THATS A BIG BUGGER!
Well done EI great to see in BRS :ok:

Fernando_Covas
27th Feb 2006, 12:45
Looking at the apron website I saw it was parked on 8 and I should imagine whats left of 7 and maybe part of it was parked on stand 9 too? So how did it get in and out? Did it land on 09 and come off at Bravo or land on 27 and backtrack to Bravo?

a bristolian
27th Feb 2006, 15:59
Xmas come early for WATABENCH - check out BRS website for new flight!

toledoashley
27th Feb 2006, 17:37
First Choice - Brand New flight to Cancun

GrahamK
27th Feb 2006, 18:21
Appears to be a one off flight though ;)

Wycombe
27th Feb 2006, 22:01
Surely won't go direct from BRS? - it's a 10hr sector.

MerchantVenturer
27th Feb 2006, 22:12
I believe that the CAA figures for Bristol-New York for Jan show 4,711.
Belfast on the same frequency has 6,361.
Birmingham and Glasgow have approx 9,000 with 2 extra flights per week.
Surely this is rather an area of concern.
Is the flight subject of a subsidy at present, if so what happens when it ceases.
Were any flights lost in Jan due weather.
Centre cities
CAA stats show following monthly totals for the CO routes BRS-EWR and BFS-EWR for 2005 are as follows.

BRS commenced in May (part month) 2460, then 7266, 7283, 8777, 8497, 8600, 6374 and 5997 (Dec). Total 52,749.

BFS commenced in May (one week later than BRS) 926, then 7717, 9451, 8365, 8664, 8551, 7035, 6638 (Dec). Total 55,821.

For some reason the monthly provisional figures for the CO BRS-EWR route have been corrected upwards in recent months when the final figures are published. This does not seem to happen to other BRS routes or to other EWR routes from the UK.

For example in December the original figure published was around 5500, subsequently adjusted to 5997.

On this basis expect the final Jan figure to work out in the low 5,000s. Not great but EDI only had 5800 in Jan 2005 from 5 weekly rotations and subsequently went on to ten or eleven rotations per week in summer 05. I am not suggesting BRS will get that many this summer.

Furthermore, CO stated publicly before the route commenced that their target for the first year of BRS-EWR was 75,000 pax. BRS is well on course to meet and probably exceed this.

There has been no publicly-stated subsidy but who knows what commercial arrangement the airport and airline have entered into.

Just to confirm both BRS and BFS are down to five weekly rotations Nov-March. BRS goes back to seven next week. Not sure about BFS.

WATABENCH
28th Feb 2006, 04:43
Woohoo!
I imagine its a testing the water situation with the CUN flight to see the limits etc of the a/c out of BRS, guna be great to see a FCA 767 in BRS!
Hopefully things may work out and we'll see some sort of longhaul prog out of BRS in the very near future!:ok:

crackling jet
2nd Mar 2006, 21:30
Looking at the apron website I saw it was parked on 8 and I should imagine whats left of 7 and maybe part of it was parked on stand 9 too? So how did it get in and out? Did it land on 09 and come off at Bravo or land on 27 and backtrack to Bravo?

it landed on r/w 27 then taxied off at the end and followed the follow me vehicle down the taxiway and onto the ramp, i think onto stands
8,9,10,11, or as near that area

Fernando_Covas
3rd Mar 2006, 08:16
I should imagine that it was a tight squeeze coming past the fuel farm and walkway then.

GrahamK
7th Mar 2006, 09:33
BRS getting a 9th based EZY a/c :ok:
New routes to:
Krakow 4 x weekly starting July 21st
La Rochelle 4 x weekly starting July 21st
Marseille 3 x weekly starting July 22nd
Rijeka (Croatia) 3 x weekly from July 22nd
Toulouse 1 x Daily starting 21st July

Good news for Bristol!

ezyBoh
7th Mar 2006, 09:36
Also added on the easyJet forum, check out the other new routes.

Enjoy ...................

Devonair
7th Mar 2006, 10:38
In the light of Easyjet announcing a Toulouse route from Bristol, I wonder if Flybe will shift their route down the M5 to Exeter as they seem to be doing with Bergerac.

MerchantVenturer
7th Mar 2006, 10:45
Obviously very good news for users of BRS and for jobs, although doubtless the NIMBYs and other opponents of the airport’s expansion will throw up their hands in horror again.

Still no sign of an easyJet Paris route which has long been rumoured.

Poland and the new French destinations ought to be popular – there is a large Polish community in the West Country, centred around Bristol (there has even been recruitment of Poles to come over and drive the buses in Bristol and Bath in recent times), and the second home owners and their visitors will doubtless take advantage of the new destinations in France. I presume the Croatia route will be summer-only.

I wonder now what will happen to Flybe at BRS. This airline has already reduced its Bordeaux, Bergerac and Belfast City rotations out of BRS. There has been speculation that the reduction in the BHD route was due to easyJet’s competing BRS-BFS service.

Now easyJet is going head to head with Flybe on the Toulouse route and daily at that (easy’s other new routes out of BRS are not daily). Will there be enough traffic for two airlines flying daily, even with the aerospace connection, or will one throw in the towel? In fact, according to the Bristol Filton Airport website there is a Mon to Fri Airbridge route from there to Toulouse as well, presumably only for aerospace staff and others having official business.

Devonair's muse might well turn out to be correct, although Flybe's Bristol-Bergerac will continue to operate this summer, but at a reduced schedule compared to previous years.

WATABENCH
7th Mar 2006, 16:18
Great news for BRS, keep em coming, by the way the FCA BRS-CUN operates via MAN OB and direct IB, another month or so and we should find out about charter routes for 2007 summer, hopefully some nice new routes may be amongst those lot too!
I'd like to see a route to Almeria from BRS, i'd of thought it'd go quite well once a week on BY or FCA

WOWBOY
8th Mar 2006, 19:42
What is ahppening at BRS today:

Arrivals:

1600 BA4028 MUNICH - DIVERTED TO BIRMNGHAM
1650 WOW486 NEWQUAY - ESTIMATED 1900
1700 WOW305 MANCHESTER - DIVERTED TO PLYMOUTH
1825 T34537 DURHAM TEES - DIVERTED TO EXETER
1835 OL889 BREMEN - DIVERTED TO FILTON
1845 T34507 ABERDEEN - DIVERTED TO EXETER
1915 BA4089 PARIS-CDG - DIVERTED TO BIRMINGHAM

Departures

1720 WOW486 LEEDS/BRAD - CANCELLED
1725 WOW306 MANCHESTER - CANCELLED
1950 BA4042 EDINBURGH - BY ROAD TO BHX

caaardiff
8th Mar 2006, 20:04
Cardiff had a few diverts too, must be weather - fog has been bad in South Wales. A Bmibaby diverted to BHX and a BY diverted into BRS around 17.00 - looks like they were lucky to get in there.

MerchantVenturer
8th Mar 2006, 21:22
A look at the BRS website arrivals page suggests it is the smaller aircraft that have been unable to land at BRS this evening. The weather has been foggy but fortunately the wind has been out of the west which means that runway 27 has been the operational runway.

This runway is equipped with Cat 3 ILS, which seems to have facilitated those aircraft with Cat 3 capability to land at BRS this evening. Those that are not so equipped (mainly the turbo props and smaller regional jets) appear to be the ones that have diverted.

Interesting that the OLT from Bremen got in at Filton, just across the city. Shows how local the serious fog is, but of course the hill on which BRS sits gets more than its fair share of the murk and mist.

682ft AMSL
10th Mar 2006, 06:51
To assist with a small project, could anyone with BRS knowledge share with me the airlines / routes that have been attracted to the airport following it's purchase by Macquarie back in 2000. Any info on how they have invested in the airport & any general feedback on the benefits on having an established private airport operator at the helm would be welcomed. PM me if required.

Many thanks

Kellycsi
10th Mar 2006, 09:51
Can anybody confirm if the OLT flight to Bremen via Hamburg still routes through Filton before Bristol. I drive pass Filton every morning and have noticed the OLT Saab there several mornings recently.
It always used to fly from Filton for the Airbus employees before starting thier service from BIA.
I know that Airbus gives them a lot of business so do they pop into Filton first, pick up the Airbus employees then hop to Bristol and pick up the public? This would make them more money I suppose?
Anybody got the answer?

redfield
10th Mar 2006, 12:42
The OLT hasn't been scheduled through Filton since it started flying from BRS: its been in Filton a couple of times recently due to the fog; pax have been checked-in at BRS.

MerchantVenturer
10th Mar 2006, 20:48
For some reason the monthly provisional figures (CAA stats) for the CO BRS-EWR route have been corrected upwards in recent months when the final figures are published. This does not seem to happen to other BRS routes or to other EWR routes from the UK.............On this basis expect the final Jan figure to work out in the low 5,000s.

The CAA stats have indeed been amended for the BRS-EWR route and now show 5008 pax used it in January. If there were 22 rotations this works out around 114 pax per flight or 66% average load factor.

As was said earlier in this thread, not great but the Jan-Feb period is traditionally a relatively poor performer on many routes and, as always, we don't know the yield.

fyrefli
10th Mar 2006, 22:19
A look at the BRS website arrivals page suggests it is the smaller aircraft that have been unable to land at BRS this evening. The weather has been foggy but fortunately the wind has been out of the west which means that runway 27 has been the operational runway.

I came in on EZY6162 from AMS and the viz was dreadful. Wasn't so much fog as cloud pretty much all the way to the deck; dreadful viz, held for 10 mins 'cos we needed the landy to guide us down to the taxiway and on to stand (PF said it was something blocking the taxiway but I think that was a "lie to children").

Probably the lowest viz I've ever flown in - even including a surreal day we were launching one at a time through sea fog for a bit of soaring on the front of the cloud at Rhossili! :D

Cheers,

Rich.

WOWBOY
12th Mar 2006, 13:19
Hi,

I would just like to ask what check-in desks are assingned to which airlines?

and

Are all Air Southwest operstions still handled by BA? when the based aircraft arrives will they still be handled by ba?

Regards
WOWBOY

rampboy767
12th Mar 2006, 15:06
Since BA already do the in house services like check in, gate and dispatch for Air southwest they will do the same once an based aircraft is here in april and serivsair will do all ground handling operations along side BA dispatching the aircraft like they do at present. BA provide services like dispatch and checkin for other airlines like SN Brussels, Eastern Airways & BA Connect, with all ground handling operations by serivsair.

MerchantVenturer
12th Mar 2006, 16:07
Hi,
I would just like to ask what check-in desks are assingned to which airlines?
WOWBOY

This link ought to help.

http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/flight_information/departures_board.aspx

It seems that most of the time BA-checked-in flights, including WOW, use desks 22-26.

WATABENCH
12th Mar 2006, 17:46
WOWBOY, i thinks its only BA, Continental, Easyjet and First Choice that have dedicated desks at BRS, others dont have dedicated desks as such but usually check-in in the same areas, BY usually next to EZY, KL/BE/EI and other sched usually next to BA and other charters usually in 2nd check-in hall next to FCA desks.
Hope that helps you.

WATABENCH
16th Mar 2006, 20:35
If anyones interested the Airbus A380 will be in Filton on 10th June, just for all you spotters out there!
No idea of times but was on local BBC website www.bbc.co.uk/bristol
:ok:

Vasto1M
17th Mar 2006, 15:04
Looking through the summer there are two Thomsonfly departures for Tuesday mornings....
TOM3761 PUY 0725
TOM6357 AYT 0845
any ideas if one of these flights isn't happening or will there be two Thomsonfly a/c at Bristol on tuesdays?

redfield
17th Mar 2006, 15:25
I think the AYT is a W rotation. AEA have just confirmed 3x weekly flights, BritishJet on a Saturday evening and SN are doing the OLB and BIA at least through June - these are the flights that Euromanx/Trade Air operated last year.

MerchantVenturer
27th Mar 2006, 20:05
CAA stats for 2005 now published.

BRS is the 9th largest UK airport in terms of pax handled with 5,199000, a whisker ahead of NCL’s 5,187000. In eighth place is EDI with 8,449000 so there is some way to go to get into the UEFA Cup positions.

In the past five years BRS has increased its pax throughput by 144.7% and is beaten only by PIK in the top twenty UK airports, which has increased its numbers by 165.8%, rising from 905,000 to 2,405000 during the same period.

Most heavily used routes out of BRS in 2005 were EDI (329,000), GLA (299,000), Belfast airports combined (295,000 with 233,000 at BFS and 62,000 at BHD), DUB (288,000), AMS (264,000), NCL (253,000), AGP (230,000) and ALC (201,000).

The CO EWR route carried 55,254 pax in 2005, and bears an interesting comparison with the CO BFS-EWR that commenced a week after the BRS route towards the end of May and carried 56,747 pax.

Standard Noise
28th Mar 2006, 08:57
I'm surprised the BFS (Muckamore Intl) - EWR isn't doing better than that.
Still, the Brizzy figures are one in the eye for the doom mongers.

WATABENCH
29th Mar 2006, 08:50
Damn right Standard Noise,
And well on course to hit and exceed the yearly target by the looks of things, Also it's made every flight without refueling and has only diverted a couple of times I/B due to bad wx, now wheres my old chum Windsheer gone? Ahh yes he must be in the kitchen getting a glass of water to help those words go down:E
Luv ya really Windy!

Standard Noise
29th Mar 2006, 11:22
Now, now Watabench, no gloating. No need to be horrible to the nasty wee man!

MerchantVenturer
30th Mar 2006, 15:48
Announced today that from 1 June this year BRS will have another scheduled German route to go with Frankfurt, Munich, Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen.

It is Dusseldorf.

BA Connect say that Dusseldorf is their most requested business destination from Bristol, so they are giving it a go. Web timetable shows a mid morning departure from Bristol, arriving back mid afternoon (six rotations per week - none Saturdays).

The not-so-good news is that the FRA appears to have reverted to single daily (vide Mayfly), so presumably that is why they have an aircraft available for the new service.

On a different topic, I note that Macquarie Airports have an option to buy Ferrovial's 50% stake in Bristol Airport, and thus own BRS outright, should the Spanish group be successful in their bid for BAA and their part-ownership of BRS leads to competition issues.

WATABENCH
31st Mar 2006, 14:46
Good news on the DUS route, the airport have been banging on trying to get that for a while now.
Just heard that FCA may still have some more tricks up their sleeves, I've also been told that there is an increase in capacity for Summer 07 with XLA and looks 90% certain that TCX will base 07 year round - Future looks bright again for the bucket and spaders at BRS, fingers crossed!

GrahamK
31st Mar 2006, 15:45
Have heard rumours FCA will base 1 x 757 instead of 2 x 321s from Summer 07, with the reintroduction of a TCX A320 Base

crackling jet
1st Apr 2006, 07:53
crackling jet, When did all the night stopping aircraft arrive at once? 15 - 20 minutes for steps? on what?
More equipment is needed at BRS to cope with the expanding airport, more
communication between airlines, engineers and handling agents would reduce any delays for equipment.

so summer is almost here, no sign of any the new equipment that as you say is needed, except the thing that looks like a milk float with cross country tyres, whats that all about ?. another efficient year to come!!! :ok:

WOWBOY
4th Apr 2006, 20:40
Air Southwest's first flight from BRS-NWI on the 10/4/06 is FULLY BOOKED! looks promising, i feel there is a good chance of it goint 2xdaily!

VIRGA
7th Apr 2006, 10:51
Why doesn't Bristol ever seem to make use of a ground frequency?

I find it extremely annoying to be on a two mile final waiting for a 'pretend Nigel' to finish chatting on the tower frequency while I'm waiting for a landing clearance. This happens alot and the tower frequency always seems to be occupied more by ground calls than anything else. What if someone needed to get a mayday call out?

Staff shortages? Training? Costs?

Just get it sorted out I think. Any opinions?

we8wednesday
7th Apr 2006, 12:13
Does anybody know of a rumour that servisair has lost the ground handling contract with easyjet and firstchoice at bristol(uk).
Talk amongst easy crews is that this would take place at the end of the summer and menzies is a possible new candidate for the contract.

ebenezer
7th Apr 2006, 12:32
Staff shortages? Training? Costs?

The latter I suspect, given that the airport authority would need to pay for the additional controllers necessary.:confused:

richardnei
7th Apr 2006, 16:50
Yes this seems to be very likely.

In BFS I heard that Menzies will setting up base in BRS later this year and will be handling easyjet.

I think Menzies will take over all easyjet contracts in UK bases at some stage.

wassat
7th Apr 2006, 17:16
Thank God for that. For months the handling has been appalling at BRS by Servisair - chimps could do better.

There has been an ongoing battle with the ramp chimps - the dispatcher and ground staff not involved in baggage handling/pushback are generally quite good, but a big cleanout of grunts is required.:*

flyerboy
7th Apr 2006, 18:55
Wonder what will change really as BA have their own ground crew & dispatchers but still have servisair baggage handlers & pushback crews.All it means is that check in staff & dispatchers will have the chance to work for a different handling company for possibly less money.

rampboy767
7th Apr 2006, 20:20
Easyjet have requested as of the 1st of may for servisair to have deadicated easyjet crews to turnround just their aircraft, like servisair have ramp crews at the moment to turnround all aircraft. Easyjet has also reported after watching the ground handling operation by servisair, that there has been a huge improvement of service, turnround times and commiuncation between flight deck and groundcrews before and during pushback. And that they are happy with the service servisair is providing them, they just want them to have a few more staff and more equipement for the extra aircraft which will be based here in july. To bring the total number of EZY aircraft based here to 9, so it looks like servisair may not lose the contract after all. Watch this space and wait til August/September time when the contract released, til then we got another busy summer ahead of us guys!

rampboy767
7th Apr 2006, 20:23
Does any one know if air southwest will be basing a aircraft at BRS could the 10th of this month when the NWI service starts? Any new charter airlines operating this summer or interesting movements?

rampboy767
7th Apr 2006, 20:28
It would make a lot of sence to have ground operations at BRS, as it would free the tower up with calls from flightdecks to push and start off stand,etc. To focus on aircraft holding, taxiing, landings, appoarch and finals, etc as in the summer months it can get quite busy with alot aircraft trying to contact the tower all at once.

MerchantVenturer
7th Apr 2006, 20:33
Hello rampboy.

Yes, WOW will be basing a DH-8-300 at BRS from Monday.

Can't help with the summer charters I'm afraid as I haven't a clue what the full programme is, let alone the carriers.

redfield
7th Apr 2006, 21:31
Summer charters, off the top of my head: on a weekly basis, 3x Air Europa, 3x Balkan Holidays (high season), BritishJet MD90 on a Saturday evening, Pegasus on Monday evenings, Sun Express 757 Monday mornings, Spanair have their usual Ibiza on Friday mornings, Trade Air are back operating the Saturday Split, SN Brussels have the Olbia at least in May, Eurocypria on Sunday evenings, LTE are still around, and the based DP/BY/JN/VZ/MT and KM aircraft. I've probably missed something out!

WATABENCH
8th Apr 2006, 09:22
I've heard nothing but this rumour about S-AIR losing EZY and FCA, I 've noticed a lot of honchos watching the minions lately where EZY are concerned but not FCA, EZY have a massive problem with check-in queues at BRS which could of been easily avoided had they just plonked them into the 2nd check in hall out of the way, unless the airport do something very soon this is going to be awful come 3 weeks time, the poor EZY punters regully queue back to the main entrance doors and into the 2nd hall, its just ridiculous! As for Jetset, well FCA have their GOC's who are there to basicaly make sure service level agreements are met day to day and look after the airlines intrest, watching the goings on they seem to have a great rapport with all at S-Air and seem happy with the service provided, obviously they're going to notice things on turnaround etc that other charters wouldnt as they go out to the a/c, i think EZY are just putting the wind up s-air, there would be a lot of questions asked in s-air head office if their operation in BRS lost essentially their biggest 2 contracts, I cant see them losing either personally I hope for the sake of a lot of jobs that i'm correct!:uhoh:

Silvertop
8th Apr 2006, 12:24
It really is about time the management at Brs stopped beating arond the bush and coughed up for the dedicated ground controller.
Brs is pretty unique in that its mix of traffic includes very busy scheduled/charter sector, professional training, rotary ops, night freight, and on the weekends during the rare occaisions that the weather is good the G.A traffic also adds to the mix!.
As well as this during the summer months especially, the poor old tower controller has to keep an eye on local ballooning and gliding action as well!!:eek: .I am also bored with hearing "ground frequency closed"on the ATIS for about the past three or four years.
Sort it out

redfield
8th Apr 2006, 20:11
W: True about the length of the Easyjet check-in queues, BUT I joined the back of this queue a couple of weeks ago opposite the Subway and it only took me forty minutes to get from there through security. The check-in staff are pretty efficient: I've waited for longer than that to check-in for a WOW flight at Manchester when there were only forty-odd pax on the flight! I agree about the number of check-in desks though; Easyjet will probably need more of them once the ninth a/c arrives on July 20th.:ok:

Vasto1M
8th Apr 2006, 21:24
the easy queue can seem quite daunting but I agree it does move fairly quickly. It’d move even quicker if some of the check-in staff didn’t dither in-between passengers, staring at the floor/ceiling or chatting to their colleagues sometimes seems to take priority rather than calling the next passenger forward. I have to say that things really seem to get moving quickly when staff in ‘normal’ servisair uniforms are also being used.

Standard Noise
9th Apr 2006, 06:50
Here we go again, moan, moan, ground, moan, moan. Don't suppose any of you rocket scientists have figured out that the best way to articulate your feelings about Bristol having a dedicated GMC/GMP freq, would be to put it in writing through your base captains/higher management?
We have some watches with only 4 ATCO's and are currently training others to get to 5 per watch, but with the best will in the world, to facilitate leave/sickness/retirements/people wanting to move on. it's taking a while to get there. That said, even with 5 per watch, we'll struggle to open a GMC freq. We sometimes struggle to keep 3 freqs open as it is, a fourth would be nigh on impossible. The ironic thing is, some of our less experienced ATCO's happen to be TWR only and they have to put up with what can sometimes be our busiest freq! It's not much fun for us on a busy day, believe me. I think we do bloody well considering our staffing level, but until we go to 6 per watch, don't expect a regular ground freq and to do that, the Airport Authority need to wake up and splash the cash. Not too difficult to grasp, is it chaps?!

Silvertop
9th Apr 2006, 07:57
Mr. Noise,
"the Airport Authority need to wake up and splash the cash. Not too difficult to grasp, is it chaps?!"

Thought that that was the point I was trying to make!

WATABENCH
9th Apr 2006, 11:50
Yes fair play the queue does seem daunting but does move quickly, point trying to raise is to an outsider how unproffesional , shambolic and confusing it must seem, the queue is sometimes checked over by BIA cust services and i've even seen reps from other airlines BA,BY,FCA all checking for their pax in it, but you never seem to see much in the way of queue management from a person in Orange.
Onto other matters, anybody know if all these new retail units will be ready by 01 May? i've heard a superdrug is going in, what other shopping delights await us then? Also been told that the press are visiting an airline in the old terminal next week, anyone else hazard a guess?

Kellycsi
9th Apr 2006, 16:48
Having recently used the departure lounge I found it very claustrophobic there was very little room and all the seating areas were full. The only shop that had been completed was the duty-free. I understand there is going to be a Superdrug, Starbucks, Costa Coffee et al.
I am all for more shops, but I feel that they are just cramming in as many as possible after the Which report that criticised the lack of shopping and eating oportunities in departures. Newcastle has it right lots of space and shops.
I use the airport at least once a month and it is great to see development of the 'retail experience' but not at the expence of the comfort of the passengers.
Does anybody know if they plan to put in more passenger seating? :eek:

chris1976
9th Apr 2006, 17:37
Will be interesting to see how the increased service from BRS - LBA with WOW will work out. BRS - LBA goes three daily from tomorrow - any projections as to whether it can sustained? My experience on this route is that it has nearly always been full (or very nearly full) so should do well IMHO.

MerchantVenturer
9th Apr 2006, 21:34
In 2005 CAA stats show the Air Southwest BRS-MAN route carried just over 44,000 pax with 3 rotations each weekday (less at weekends) for the full year, whilst the BRS-LBA route carried just over 26,000 pax with 2 rotations each weekday (less at weekends), but this was over a period just short of nine months.

On that basis one might think that BRS-LBA ought to be able to at least equal the MAN figures over a whole year with the extra weekday rotation.

I guess it’s really down to marketing, sensible schedules, public awareness and fare price, as is usually the case.

When one looks at easyJet’s 253,000 pax a year between BRS and NCL it shows there is a market from the West Country to the North Eastern part of England, and there is also a half-hourly direct train service between Bristol and Newcastle for much of the day. Leeds is not so well served from Bristol in terms of direct trains and Manchester requires a change of train on every service from Bristol.

These are further reasons why a properly organised air service ought to be a winner.

I suspect the same argument applies to EXT-LBA as well.

GrahamK
10th Apr 2006, 08:23
Thomsonfly will be doing a split load NCL-BRS-AYT-BRS-NCL on Tuesdays this summer, using a 757

Vasto1M
10th Apr 2006, 11:52
I passed through the departure lounge recently and now that they’ve taken down the hoarding that was around the new shop units and some of the gates it does look a bit more open, but agree there does seem to be a lack of seating. From what I understand there is also to be a designer clothes shop and a WHSmith just selling books (in addition to the existing one in the departure lounge).

WATABENCH
10th Apr 2006, 17:54
Announcement from FCA imminant now i've been told!:ok:

WATABENCH
11th Apr 2006, 11:17
FCA 767 BRS - Sanford weekly on sat, Dominican fortnightly and Cuba fortnightly as of summer 2007 - Great news for BRS, doesnt look as if the a/c will be actually based but it's a great start, well done FCA :ok:

air2bob
11th Apr 2006, 13:25
will these flights go direct?? as the cancun in oct will be via manchester. heard they will use lgw crew to operated although if going via man will make more sense to use man one's.:)

Vasto1M
11th Apr 2006, 14:01
i’ve heard via MAN outbound, direct inbound

WATABENCH
11th Apr 2006, 15:00
The brochures are out tomorrow so hopefully it should all be a bit more clear, i'll see what I can find out, also the main summer shorthaul broch are out so be intresting what changes are in there too, the FCA 767 should make SFB direct, so it would surely make sense to send it in there to fuel up for Dominican and Cuba, however i'm certain if it means stopping in MAN for fuel it will still sell fantastically, people in this area are fed up of going to LGW/MAN/BHX and have finally realised that an hour stop in MAN is better than a 3 hour trip enjoying the delights of the M25 plus overnight hotel and parking costs of getting to LGW, also I was told a few days ago that the one off CUN from BRS via MAN has nearly sold out in just over a month, must bode well. Hopefully they will utilise BRS crew who are doing boeing training ready for 757s, imagine how peed off the crew would be otherwise, 'by the way, were sending longhaul to you, however LGW are crewing it' now that would be a stupid move!, as far as I know BHX/EMA crew operate the longhaul from there, so no reason they wont do same here, plus it would produce more flexible use of crew nationwide, they can then utilise BRS crew for other longhaul routes. The BRS routes are on weekends too which makes it easier for their crewing to do 2/3 day stop overs and crew flights back to other FCA bases.

air2bob
11th Apr 2006, 19:28
excellent news for bristol hope fca crew's get to do flights.and not just the brs-man sector then taxi back!! used to do that to the bhx crew's!.:)

Kellycsi
15th Apr 2006, 19:13
Was in The Mall at Cribbs Causeway today and noticed that a new shop will be opening soon, it is 'Bristol Airport Direct' holiday shop. Does the airport have a stake in this or is run by one of the holiday companies?

VIRGA
16th Apr 2006, 21:19
STANDARD NOISE,,,, Well well you are a bit touchy are you not??? I don't believe that I said anything to accuse you of anything, or for that matter question your intelligence let alone your or your colleagues' work ethics.....

All that was said was, that it is about time a ground frequency was activated at BRS. If you work there then you, more then us, realise that this is the case.

Posting here on the topic certainly does not suggest that I, or for that matter, anybody else has not written to the powers that be about the safety issues that are now common place with this pretend international airport. Obviously nothing is being done. Your tone suggests to me that this topic has been covered before therefore it also suggests that you may also be guilty of not writing or questioning the safety issues. If you have tried or expressed your professional opinions on this matter to the powers that be and still nothing has been done then why get frustrated with people like me.

You obviously believe that you need help down there.... hell go on strike That will sort it. Maybe we will back you by refusing to depart on flights to this airport therefore expressin our safety concerns... fat chance, we are not french. ;)

rampboy767
16th Apr 2006, 21:57
It's not a case of going on strike, most things that concern ground opeartions and operations at a whole its not the simple. Ground handling is the same like "its that time of year" where everyone slags off serivsair or the airport opeartions. It's not as simple to just strike, if we were like the french nothing would get solved! Every airport has its busy periods, where staff, eqiupment and resources are tested bristol is not aloan with this matter. Bigger airports like manchester and gatwick have similar issues. I mean operations with the tower would not be a problem if flightcrews, didnt call up for slots and start up times if their not ready to go. I.E. when hold doors are still opens and steps are still on, just to get early slots like airlines at bristol do. First choice every year are the worst airline for this moaning about ground operations at bristol. If airlines spent the day in the life of an operations controller or air traffic controller at bristol or ramp agent for that matter, u would understand the problems we face and how we best deal with it. No body tells you how to do ur job so dont tell how to do ours! Just remember we try to inform the powers at be, but its not always that simple. U flightcrew/airline has most influence that any body else.

rampboy767
16th Apr 2006, 22:08
It was only a few weeks ago i was having a simlar conversation with the flightdeck of a certain airline, about operations and stand planning of aircraft. They expect us to have all the answers and power to solve the problem, when if they bothered to raise their concerns to our power that be then things with only get done. Everyone at the airport trys their hardest to make things run smoothly, its always the people at the other end of the headset or telephone that gets the blame for something thats out of their hands. If everyone understood the opeartions at bristol then we can work together to over come them. Everyone is to thank for making bristol a huge success lets keep it that way.

Harry the Hound
17th Apr 2006, 12:34
Rampboy, some of what you say does ring true, but I think it's a bit unfair to point the finger at 1 airline as you seem to of done here with FCA, the fact of the matter is and i believe this is mentioned by watabench a little while ago on this thread is that FCA have the ground staff at the airport who are there to make sure their service level agreements are met, and when they are not the the GOC's will speak to the relevent departments, this is why we here so much from them and in my opinion theres nothing wrong with that, As you rightly said everyone is at the airport to do their best and each airline has their own intrests at heart, so why point the finger at 1 airline because they're on top of things, I'm pretty sure that if other carriers had reps that follow the whole process through from crew paperwork to check in to departure everyday then you would here a lot more from them too, The Goc's or at least the more experianced ones know all about what problems can come up on the ramp or how busy Sair Ops are, and i've seen quite a few times certain GOC's running round for the paperwork because the dispatcher is still stuck on another a/c, or doing arrivals, or helping pull b-cards because the gate is short, the 2 Bristol based lads have even helped load bags, hell i've even seen a GOC helping to board an Air Malta because no Sair staff were available, Nobody is perfect but do you really think that if First Choice were that unhappy with the service provided by Servisair or BIA that they would be starting long haul from BRS, i dont think so myself, FCA have a brilliant working relationship with all at BRS, and they do raise their issues directly with "powers that be" however its probably a few captains that moan now and again to Ops, ATC or even the poor guy on the headset and the ignorant 1 or 2 that put anti collisions on whilst still loading that seem to rile ground workers, but you tell me 1 airline in the whole country that doesnt have moaning flight decks! I for one have never come across one! By the way, I'm not a GOC and I dont work for FCA! :ok:

WindSheer
18th Apr 2006, 08:34
You may have hit a very good point hound, more airlines should employ a department equivalent to the FCA GOC role to ensure SLA's are met.
Due to certain budget airline TV programmes, the airline industry has fallen into a 'blame the passenger' culture. Blame them if they are late, offer no help if their passport is out of date, send them walking if they have had a few too many sherberts to calm the nerves....etc, etc. I have noticed First Choice staff being very helpful when these occasions arise!!
As far as ramp operations are concerned, exactly the same principle remains. If a flight goes late due to poor handling, servisair get penalised - financially. No-one wants this to happen so a little bit of communication when awkward situations arise prevents servisair from being dipped out of pocket.
There are some top blokes on Bristol ramp, all of whom know their stuff. When they are having to rush due to delays and poor weather, holding a little bit of respect for them goes a long way. Whether it be on this forum or in person.....:ok:

MerchantVenturer
19th Apr 2006, 20:27
BRS-MME apparently being pulled - no longer bookable after early May.

Only started in October but was something of an odd choice given the equipment (19-seat Jetstreams) and fares, compared to the highly successful easyJet BRS to NCL just up the road.

redfield
20th Apr 2006, 11:01
Just one point: many people at the airport seem to have an opinion about stand planning, but none of them have ever done anything about spending time with the stand planner as Rampboy has suggested. If they did this they would understand why they can't be parked on a front stand all the time and why they can't have stand 2 or stand 11 simply because it happens to be vacant when they arrive! There's a zillion other isues to be considered; ease of disembarkation in the walkway, passenger crossovers, coaches, length of ground time, location of the ramp crew's previous flight, you name it. When was the last time any aircraft had to hold on the taxiway waiting for a stand? I can't remember myself......;)

Ranger 1
23rd Apr 2006, 23:12
They may not be frequently holding on the Taxiway waiting for a Stand, but there are a few holding short of the Stands, due to late calls & no Marshaller being there. :}

Standard Noise
24th Apr 2006, 01:35
S'going to be a fun summer!

crackling jet
24th Apr 2006, 11:36
even more a/c to be based, but no extra equipment,perhaps quicker to use and repack escape shutes than wait for steps!!!:ok:

Avalon
24th Apr 2006, 19:07
:confused: Ranger 1 - Is it true that Bristol will be loosing its CATIII ILS for most of this coming winter? Won't that cause chaos? Where will 20+ jets and their 2000 pax go when the fog rolls in?
(Time to buy shares in the local coach companies perhaps?)

Count Caproni
24th Apr 2006, 22:14
Avalon - It’s a cunning plan me thinks…
1.BIA buys a coach company, and some hotels.
2.Make up lame excuses in the foggy weather: CAT111 is a good one but Joe Public wouldn’t have a clue what it means. Hares (as seen on TV) or the wrong type of leaves on the runway (copyright BR) they could also try?
3.Divert all aircraft as far as possible.
4.Coach all the pax and overnight them if need be. Just think of all the dosh they could make! The BIA car parks would fill up with people picking up and dropping off. All spending money in the terminal…blah…blah etc

I could go on. It reminds me of the good old days but on a bigger scale!!

redfield
25th Apr 2006, 08:38
Ranger 1: I'm curious about your last post: "late calls" from who?