swh
7th Oct 2005, 16:56
New free online training courses from NASA

A Pilot's Guide to Ground Icing
A Pilot's Guide to In-Flight Icing

http://aircrafticing.grc.nasa.gov/courses.html

ZQA297/30
7th Oct 2005, 21:51
Ah yes, winter's coming....got to brush up on cold wx ops.

ferrydude
7th Oct 2005, 22:17
Oh My gawd. Now The US Goverment is subsidizing pilot training?

stellair
11th Oct 2005, 17:46
Good site, all of us who are stuck in the weather with our turboprops or twin pistons should give ourselves a refresher on this, it's a subject that previous experiences tell me is very very important! :\

westhawk
12th Oct 2005, 22:19
Yes, it's that time of year again for those of us operating in the temperate northern hemisphere destinations! Every year, I learn a little more about ice. Every year, I hope it will be enough. Because every year, icing-related accidents rear their ugly head. Some for the same old familiar reasons we have come to expect from reading the reports of past occurrances and some for seemingly new, or perhaps previously less often discussed or forgotten causes. So if NASA, the FAA or any other organization with aviation safety responsibilities want to bring the issue to the fore, good on them!

The first icing-related C-208 Caravan crash of the season has allready occured in Canada. Pilot killed. Last winter was a real bad year for non-airline icing-related crashes in North America. By no means are airliners exempt though. I just read a piece about an A320 that experienced uncommanded roll oscillations after taking off from Toronto. Small amounts of ice contamination on the wings are thought to have caused an increased roll sensitivity not accounted for by the flight control sysyem, resulting in a tendancy for the pilot to over-control. Thankfully, the crew were able to land safely. Obviously, FAA and Transport Canada are rightfully concerned and want to take preventative action by launching an awareness campaign at the minimum and applying additional requirements and restrictions where justified. NASA have contributed greatly to the understanding of flight ever since their inception as NACA. They cooperate closely with FAA in safety of flight research and education.

Obviously, icing affects each aircraft in ways that are specific to that aircraft. That's why the icing certification testing requirements exist. Each airframe builder develops their own procedures and limitations to be included in the AFM with the approval of the certifying authority. While adhering to AFM guidance provides the best chance for safely operating in icing conditions, there are no guarantees that all possible combinations of circumstance have been allowed for. Some airfoil shapes are more or less forgiving of contamination than others and control response may be degraded by iced flight controls not even detectable by the pilot in the cockpit.

Of course we will continue to fly when flight or ground icing conditions exist. But we'll do it I/A/W the limitations and procedures set forth in our AFMs and company manuals. Additionally, if any reasonable doubt exists about the wisdom of proceeding with the flight, we should stop and re-examine if on the ground, and consider a diversion or escape if in the air. It helps to have briefed these contingencies before commencing the flight.

So thanks, NASA. While I realize you cannot tell me exactly what actions are neccesary in all circumstances, I do appreciate the reminder to do my annual pilot winterization review and I will give due consideration to your input and comply with any new limitations or procedural requirements that may be placed in the company operations manual at the behest of FAA.

Let's have a safer winter season this year.

Best regards,

Westhawk

john_tullamarine
15th Oct 2005, 08:53
swh ... got your PM but your box is full so my reply bounced ... you obviously have twigged to who I am .. not that that's terribly difficult .... might I be acquainted with my correspondent's identity ?