PDA

View Full Version : Another runway incursion at BOS

Beanbag
7th Oct 2005, 13:35
From Airwise News:
--------------------
October 7, 2005
US aviation authorities are investigating a runway scare at Boston's Logan Airport involving an American Airlines jet that abruptly aborted take-off this week to avoid another aircraft, officials said on Thursday.

Nobody was injured in Tuesday's incident but it was the 16th of its kind at the airport since October 2004, raising concern about safety at one of the nation's busiest airfields that handles 420,000 departures and arrivals a year.

The FAA said the incident occurred when a regional jet with 18 people on board landed and crossed a runway on which an American Airlines MD-82 carrying 131 people had begun its take-off run.

The regional jet operated by American Eagle, a unit of American Airlines, had been instructed by a tower controller to stay at a runway after landing and to remain on the same radio frequency, said Jim Peters, a spokesman for the FAA.

But without the tower's approval, the pilot switched to ground control, which gave conflicting instructions, telling the plane to cross the runway on which the American Airlines aircraft was starting to take off, Peters added.

Spotting the regional jet, the tower controller tried to call its crew, but they had already switched to a different radio frequency. Unable to reach them, he told the American Airlines pilots to abort take-off.

The aircraft came within 1,700 ft of each other, Peters said. The Boston Globe newspaper, however, on Thursday cited a source close to the investigation saying the planes were less than 1,000 ft apart.

"It's being investigated as an operational error, meaning a mistake was made by a controller, and also as a pilot deviation," Peters said. Pilots must have approval from the tower controller before switching radio frequencies, he said.

The FAA is sending a team familiar with Logan to evaluate its operations and determine what could be done to avoid similar incursions.

In August, the aviation watchdog and MassPort, which operates Logan, said it would curb runway incursions after a similar incident involving a FedEx cargo jet and a JetBlue flight.

(Reuters)

Hotel Tango
7th Oct 2005, 15:49
Many US airports have to move a lot of tin in little time. Consequently their multi-runway procedures are somewhat more adventurous than those we're accustomed to here in Europe. Of course safety should never be compromised, but if many of the current US procedures were to be changed, I would imagine that the resulting outcry from the public and politicians, as a consequence of the major delays that would ensue, would be heard this side of the ocean. What to do?

Bucking Bronco
7th Oct 2005, 19:17
LAHSO is a huge accident waiting to happen and when it does people will look at all the warnings we've been given and wonder how on earth it's been allowed to go on.

Commercial pressures should never compromise safety.

captplaystation
7th Oct 2005, 19:22
I really,really hope I'm proved wrong but,as this seems to be happening every other week,it strikes me it is just a matter of time before Oops becomes Ouch?

guclu
7th Oct 2005, 20:13
Two weeks ago I read from Chicago Tribune they are reconfiguring KORD (Chicago O'Hare). I saw 6 parallel runways and another not parallel one (just remembering might be wrong).

So this is good news. (No more LAHSO). I hope this reconfiguring will continue.

Hotel Tango
7th Oct 2005, 21:59
Parallels eliminate LAHSO but the above BOS incident wasn't a LAHSO case. It was caused by the landing a/c crossing the active parallel departure runway. Six parallel runways will significantly increase the risk for this particular type of incident.

behind_the_second_midland
7th Oct 2005, 22:33
LAHSO not approved in BA. What about other European carriers?

gonadz
8th Oct 2005, 02:41
LAHSO not approved in VAA.