PDA

View Full Version : F-111 Closes Brisbane Airport

Induced Turbulence
7th Oct 2005, 08:24
Just heard on the radio that Brisbane Airport has been closed due to an unsheduled landing by an F-111. Does anyone know what the story is?

Buster Hyman
7th Oct 2005, 08:33
Arrivals info at BNE is showing 2 INTL flights diverted....Domestic seems okay though...:confused:

megle2
7th Oct 2005, 08:54
There using runway 14 only at present

dude65
7th Oct 2005, 10:30
Local TV news reports that an F111 made an emergency landing at Brisbane Airport because the pilot lost control of the aircraft. (Work that one out)

"Out of control aircraft makes emergency landing"

Two F111's flew over my place this afternoon with one doing a hard left over Tarragindi and heading back towards Amberley and the other heading on to what would appear to be a normal approach to Brisbane.

I guess he must have had some sort of problem but didn't look out of control to me.

Nuckinfuts
7th Oct 2005, 10:41
I believe the aircraft had a hydraulics failure and couldn't get off the runway. I don't think anyone in Brisbane had a tow bar.

Woomera
7th Oct 2005, 10:49
Dam Mark 1-A/3 thronomisters again!! When one gets a flutter in the double underhand dip-thrung retarders, the aircraft is likely to be uncontrollable!

God, I hope the media don't read this thread........ :sad:

Woomera

john_tullamarine
7th Oct 2005, 11:12
mm .. Mk 1-A3 .. can't say that I've had anything to do with that Mark ... does it vary much from the A2 ? .. we engineers like to know these things, you know.

Chronic Snoozer
7th Oct 2005, 11:29
Navigator's dump valve malfunctioned, pilot incapacitated apparently......

Woomera
7th Oct 2005, 11:29
John

You surprise me! The Mark1-A/3 Thronomister is shown here on top of the Pratt and Whitney R-4360/TF-30 "Wasp Major" installed in the F-111 Aardvark aircraft:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Mark1-A3thronomisters.jpg

The problem I suspect is that the USAF retired theirs in 1996, whilst the Australia RAAF is the only remaining operator and no further developmental work is now being carried out.

Bit like the RNZAF I suspect!

Chronic Safe landing. That's all that matters!!! :ok:

woomera

1_engine_driftdown
7th Oct 2005, 12:33
After what dude65 said about one doing a hard left over Tarragindi, I saw the QES rescue chopper (Rescue 500 / VH-ESB)doing orbits over Toohey Forest this arvo while I was on the way home, about 5:30pm. It seemed strange for hikers to get lost in 10 hectares or so of suburban bushland, so it took my attention...

After reading this, I suspect they were looking for the separated pieces of that failed thronomister. They're getting rare these days, the RAAF would need to salvage it for parts.

18-Wheeler
7th Oct 2005, 12:45
So that's what they're calling fanbelts these days?

blueloo
7th Oct 2005, 12:59
Apparently it was the tri-synchronous fuel retardulator which seized causing the thronomister to fail - this problem can only occur in the Mark1-A/3.

Woomera
7th Oct 2005, 13:14
"...the RAAF would need to salvage it for parts..."

Seeing as no other air force in the World operates Pigs, that would be cheaper than getting a new manufacture!! :ok:

Glad the crew are OK! :ok:

Not quite 18 Wheeler. The thronomister 3SGE installed under an Engineering Order (OE) in the Fraser Pig results in improved performance but can't match the 4AGZE equipped Westfield SEi!! :}

Woomera

wylie_cyote
7th Oct 2005, 13:24
Mate, I know it's Friday night and I know it's late, but could you possibly PM me with contact details of your supplier?;)
Gees that must be good stuff!!!:ok:

gaunty
7th Oct 2005, 13:27
Thronomister, schmonomistor, deflogulator, they're still one serious bit of bad ass aviation military kit. :uhoh: :ok:

Were I a grunt and aheard one of them was on the way, holes, implement for the digging of, would be deployed, like unto one of Mr Caterpillars fine D10 bulldozer.:ok:

Dollar for dollar kg for kg they are still the most versatile fighter bomber yet invented.;)

Buster Hyman
7th Oct 2005, 13:36
Dollar for dollar kg for kg they are still the most versatile fighter bomber yet invented
Abso-friggin-lutely! Look at the damage they've done in BNE!:ok:

Now, I don't want to be a clever Dick but, this has all the hallmarks of that pesky Number 2 Engine syndrome...http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/gaz.gif

gaunty
7th Oct 2005, 13:48
Well that pesky No. 2 engine is always with us ya know, like death and taxes and that "to do" list on the fridge from 'er indoors.:cool:

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Oct 2005, 13:56
Fighter jet makes forced landing
October 07, 2005

AN Air Force F-111 fighter aircraft has made an emergency landing at Brisbane Airport's main runway, throwing passenger airline services into disarray.

At least one international flight was diverted to Sydney after the F-111 landed safely at Brisbane about 5pm (AEST) today, Brisbane Airport Corporation spokesman Jim Carden said.
The F-111 could not be removed from the runway until special equipment arrived from RAAF Base Amberley – west of Brisbane – as part of military policy.

Mr Carden said a mechanical fault may have prompted the emergency landing, but the Defence Force said the cause was still unclear.

Mr Carden said there would be "significant delays" for inbound and international outbound flights but most domestic flights were still operating using a smaller runway.

Source: AAP

Jerricho
7th Oct 2005, 18:35
operating using a smaller runway.

"I shall call it...........Mini-runway"

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/dr.evil_one_miliion_dollars.jpg

Lodown
7th Oct 2005, 19:07
Gaunty, that D10 would also be useful in assisting the F111 from the runway.

The Voice
7th Oct 2005, 21:20
Gee, and I missed it!

landing at Brisbane Airport's main runway better there I suppose than at the beach, goodness me, where the hell else would it get a park so quickly on the airport?

Jericho you are a crackup!

Fris B. Fairing
7th Oct 2005, 21:30
Strike jet lands at civilian airport

My God! Can they do that?

The Brisbane Courier Mail also reports that

the aircraft made the landing under duress

In case others are wondering like I was;

Towbar was despatched by Caribou and arrived at Brisbane at around 7:20 pm. Runway was all clear by 8 pm.

from jetspotters.com

dude65
7th Oct 2005, 21:54
1_engine_driftdown

That chopper was doing orbits over Toohey forest for at least an hour. I only saw the F111's coming in as I was outside watching the QES helecopter.(Only about 1 K from home)

Apologies to all. It just didn't occure to me to call the media and let them know a helecopter was searching Toohey forest for F111 engine parts.

18-Wheeler
7th Oct 2005, 22:12
From Woomeri ->
Not quite 18 Wheeler. The thronomister 3SGE installed under an Engineering Order (OE) in the Fraser Pig results in improved performance but can't match the 4AGZE equipped Westfield SEi!

Hmmmm ... in danger of revealing too much about yourself there! :)

(The Fraser is betterer anyway!)

Fris B. Fairing
7th Oct 2005, 22:29
Just wondering, how do you place an F-111 "under duress"? Presumably it would go something like this.

A booming authoritarian voice addresses the aeroplane;

"Listen up Big Nose. If you know what's good for you, you will safely return your two occupants to terra firma. Otherwise, we understand you still have relatives living in Amberley."

Clearly it worked on this occasion.

Sunfish
7th Oct 2005, 22:43
Well actually Sunfish was on PX005 returning from Moresby after a weeks diving in Milne bay.

We were on descent into BNE at about FL15 when the Captain announced that an F111 had closed the main runway for at least an hour. We stooged around for ten minutes while he contacted the company and then we diverted to Sydney.

A big thumbs up to Virgin Blue staff at Sydney who changed my Brisbane - Melbourne flight booking to a Sydney - Melbourne one and got me on an aircraft 20 minutes later at no charge!:ok: :ok: :ok:

Milt
8th Oct 2005, 03:34
Must have been a peculiar set of circumstanses to cause the crew to elect to make an emergency lob into Brisbane, maybe use the brake hydraulic accumulator to stop and then be unble to clear a main runway.

Much could be explained if the crew were seen to be running briskly away from their Ardvark after stopping.

Why ignore home base, close by, equipped to catch an ailing F-111 by its arrestor hook and bring it to comfortable rest unless continuing time in the air had become an overriding factor.

The whys will be most interesting.

tinpis
8th Oct 2005, 03:50
Closer to the Brekky Creek?

mr hanky
8th Oct 2005, 04:06
Must have been a peculiar set of circumstanses to cause the crew to elect to make an emergency lob into Brisbane, maybe use the brake hydraulic accumulator to stop and then be unble to clear a main runway.

A fair few brake applications available after a hyd failure, not much in the way of nosewheel steering though. It'll be interesting to know why Amberley wasn't used - bound to be a good reason, you wouldn't just lob into Brissy 'cos you felt like it (Brekky Creek notwithstanding). A hyd failure on its own isn't hugely time-critical - takes a fair while to activate all the alternate systems, so you can't just fling the jet at the nearest available strip of bitumen.

The real question is, what on earth were they still doing at work at 5 pm on a Friday??!! What is the RAAF coming to??

Uncommon Sense
8th Oct 2005, 05:51
Diverted from AMB due xwind.

Chopper was 'contingency'.

BrizJourno
8th Oct 2005, 09:05
I've been very interested in this item because it appears that many of you pilot and co-pilot types have let your guard down with respect to this thronomister.

From what you've said it appears to be only used on multiple engined planes, and that it's required for hydraulics and steering. You've also let slip that it's on engine number 2.

Some questions for you.

1) Does this mean that engine number 2 is a target for terrorists? The engines os most aircraft seem to be exposed at the front and back, so couldn't terrorists target them?

2) I've heard that some parts of big planes have plutonium or uranium (or something) in them. Is it this part?

3) If you can lose control with a faulty thronomister (it seemes to be used for landings with cross winds) does it only affect steering, or up and down control too.

Thanks.

one more thing. are engines counted from the left or right, and is it when you are facing the plane, or facing the same way? Or are the numbers random for security?

amos2
8th Oct 2005, 10:09
Well, this is all very amusing but... could you imagine any other third world aviation country allowing the boys in their toys to land at an international airport and take it out of action?

Uncommon Sense
8th Oct 2005, 10:40
amos, uh yeah - that 3rd world society the US of bloody A for a starter.

Ever been around when AF1 is operating?

And during an unforecast 'haircut' as happened at KLAX?

mr hanky
8th Oct 2005, 12:57
Well, this is all very amusing but... could you imagine any other third world aviation country allowing the boys in their toys to land at an international airport and take it out of action?

Well, given that the options of the 'boys in their toys' [:rolleyes: :yuk: ], having declared an emergency, would've consisted of:

a. landing on a nice long runway within crosswind limits at Brisbane,

b. landing outside crosswind limits at Amberley with reduced controllability,

c. hanging round hoping the wind will drop off (with maybe not much fuel left anyway), or

d. ejecting,

I'm kind of hoping all the other 3rd world aviation countries would do the same.

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Oct 2005, 13:16

What a stupid thing to say!

Do you think the pilot thought "F##k it, let's close Brisbane for a laugh"..

Buster Hyman
8th Oct 2005, 14:54
An often mistaken fact is that the Number 2 engine exists on only multi-engine types. All aircraft, up to 5 engines, require a Number 2 engine for CASA compliance. Non aviation types will think this is a joke when considered against a single engine aircraft however, that single engine is referred to as the Number 2 engine.

It all stems back to the Wright brothers and that famous quote; "Orville, that number 2 engine is playing up again!" This was reported at the time under the headline; "Seconds from Death!" Now, to the questions posed...

(1) National security forbids me from identifying what could be a target for terrorists however, if I was a terrorist, I'd aim for a more reliable engine than the Number 2. Not all engines are exposed at the front and the back

(2) The Thronomister has neither of these. However, it contains a rare substance known as Corbormite. This is extremely volatile but, LAME's are professionals & know what they are doing.

(3) Both. In tight situations, when stress is high & testosterone is flowing, you need a thronomister to handle the up and down motions on your joystick.

The engine numbers are random. Sometimes the Captain will be referring to the Number 1 engine and the Co Pilot will be thinking he is talking about Number 3. Whilst it can cause some CRM (that's Captains Random Motor) complications, the risk is mitigated by the fact that terrorists will have no idea which engine to target.

Daedal_oz
8th Oct 2005, 21:16
The real question is, what on earth were they still doing at work at 5 pm on a Friday??!! What is the RAAF coming to??

That should be "What were they doing flying after lunchtime on Friday??":confused:

But as an adjunct question "How did they get the ATC in the tower at that time of the day?" Or is that why they diverted to Brisbane? The old Amberely MBZ syndrome? :ok:

Thronomisters, schronmisters...I blame it all on 'affordable safety'!:hmm:

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Oct 2005, 21:21
I've heard a few military controllers that had me close to requesting MBZ :p

Arm out the window
9th Oct 2005, 05:46
There has been far too little attention paid to the real hero of the situation. An appropriate article (perhaps from a reputable publication like People Magazine) would be something like:

'Busted Bomber Puts Kibosh on Champion Caribou Crew'

Shocking scenes were seen today when heroic Caribou aircrew were called upon yet again to save under-endowed Pig Pushers from major embarrassment when their stricken strike steed struggled to sustain a suitable standard of steering and stopping system integrity and blocked the main runway at Brisbane earlier today.
A spokesman for the generous and good-hearted gravel truck group, who cannot be identified for security reasons, said exclusively to our aviation reporter Mandy Mammatus: 'Show us your tits!', a request with which she was only too happy to comply, confiding afterwards: 'I wouldn't have done it for those jet plonkers, they're totally overrated!'.

Mandy Mammatus
9th Oct 2005, 07:43
A spokesman for the generous and good-hearted gravel truck group...said exclusively to our aviation reporter Mandy Mammatus: 'Show us your tits!', a request with which she was only too happy to comply, confiding afterwards: 'I wouldn't have done it for those jet plonkers, they're totally overrated!'.

Now AOTW, you know I only comply for those dashing men in their Iroquois flying machines...

http://www.dragmania.com.au/e107_files/images/indychopper3.jpg

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Oct 2005, 09:22
'I wouldn't have done it for those jet plonkers, they're totally overrated!'.

hahaha.. nice one AOTW!

Woomera
9th Oct 2005, 09:37
Buster. Thought you'd made an error with your statement: "All aircraft, up to 5 engines...."

Googles B-52 - you're right - guess what I find: Engine No 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5A, 5B, 5C!

I'll be darned!!! :{

Woomera

Air Ace
9th Oct 2005, 09:53
And the "Dornier DO-X was a flying boat powered by no less than 12 engines arranged in tandem atop its huge wings", numbered 1, 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a, 4, 4a, 5, 5a, 5b, 5c!!

Point0Five
9th Oct 2005, 10:05
'Busted Bomber Puts Kibosh on Champion Caribou Crew'

I'm sure that the good people from People magazine, or Picture for that matter, would used a headline more along the lines of:

'Boobs Out Bapfest as Smoo-tiful Caribou Pounds Pig's Spadge'

:D

Chronic Snoozer
9th Oct 2005, 10:28
Speaking of B-52s, I read once that a pilot lamented that after a double engine failure in the BUFF, the dreaded 'six engine approach' was a real bitch to fly.

HotDog
9th Oct 2005, 10:54
Please, let's give the Thronomisters a break. It's getting quite boring, don't flog a dead horse. :rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
9th Oct 2005, 12:45
Thank you Woomera. I think its important to be aware of CASA's diligence in these matters and to keep the public informed. It's only when you have an amount of designated engines beyond 6 that you can count additional Number 2 engines...for example, the Spruce Goose had no less than 3 Number 2 engines. This shouldn't be suprising to the casual observer, given the success of that aircraft.

Another interesting fact about the Spruce Goose was that Howard Hughes was reluctant to install a Thronomister on this aircraft. Henry Kaiser, his partner of sorts in the project, actually insisted upon it and the Thronomister actually contributed to the only flight of the aircraft!

http://bassoatesino.clarence.com/archive/images/sproosgoose.jpg

CAR256
9th Oct 2005, 14:32
I was under the impression that if more numbers were required for the naming of engines beyond 5, zero or negative numbers can be used... ie. for the B-52, -2, -1,0, 1,2,3,4,5. In random order code for that particular hour, of course...

Buster Hyman
9th Oct 2005, 22:01
Very true, however I believe that to be a FAA regulation. CASA has yet to sign off on that system.:ok:

The Voice
9th Oct 2005, 22:17
geeze Sunfish you were a bit lucky, that 76 has had a bit of a reliability problem the last couple of weeks! Least you left there

:}

4SPOOLED
10th Oct 2005, 02:08
one of my mates flew QF from townsville to brisbane, and was diverted to coloundra i believe? and had to wait in the a/c for 3 hours without any food and was served water as an interim...he said it was a shocker but QF handled it well considering the situation.

By the time he got to perth, it was 2:30 when he was due at 10:30

So we had to hit the turps the following night instead.

Poor bugger is over to get married aswell.....

Milt
10th Oct 2005, 02:57
Engine numbering.

What number is assigned to the APU.?

And how do the Navies number theirs? I have heard of Port outers and Starboard inners but any recent aviator will have long since given up on those terms!!

Never did refer to the F-111 engines as anything other than left and right. Numbering the wing hard points opens up another can of worms.

J430
10th Oct 2005, 10:39
4spooled

I assume you meant Maroochydore as it would make a really interesting day for a few people if they landed at Caloundra.

Anybody really know what happened to the PIG?

J:ok:

Taildragger67
10th Oct 2005, 13:25
Trident III had 5 donks. 3 main, booster and APU.

Woomera
10th Oct 2005, 13:50
The Shin Meiwa amphibian had five donks - four on the wing and one breathing under the hull.

I know why no aircraft has more than five donks. Piluts kan't kount beyond five wff one hand!!!

:}

ASKARI
10th Oct 2005, 14:20
How about a C130 with 6 JATO Rockets installed....would that be 1,2,3,4,J1,J2,J3,J4,J5 and J6 (?) although I believe with all the terrorist guff happening, the numbers are randomly reviewed hourly and new assignment combinations are issued to each crew 5 minutes before startup (and can be changed in the air if a threat exists.):O Can get quite scarey in the chocks if you fire up J3 instead of the APU!:*

4SPOOLED
11th Oct 2005, 01:51
Um.. its that airport 60kays out of brisbane that people are passing through to get to the gold coast...

Can't remember what it's called but that was the one

1_engine_driftdown
12th Oct 2005, 13:52
Would that aiport be Coolang... correction, Gold Coast?
It's still got CG as its ident...;) Cold Ghost :cool:

Sal-e
18th Oct 2005, 12:09
Pity two 777 (I believe Emirates and one of the asian carriers) had to divert simply because they couldn't tow the F111 off the runway.
I was crewing a B737 and was instructed to hold initially over Moreton Island for around 15 minutes before being offered rwy14. That too was a waste of precious fuel. There wasn't much left in the tanks. Thankfully, the F111 was moved before too long.
How did they eventually tow the F111 away?
If ever the RAAF decides to carry out exercises in the area, they should always consider the possibility of landing at BNE and should have basic support equipment at BIA.
Diverting an airliner because of the lack of something as insignificant as a tow bar seems absurd.

The Voice
18th Oct 2005, 12:51
well, I guess it was marginally better than a another written off hull ..

Capt Claret
18th Oct 2005, 19:54
I wonder if QF keep a tow bar at YPKG or YAYQ; or Virgin keeps one at Ballina or YHBA; for when the 73 has a hyd failure and can't clear the RWY under its own steam?