PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Professional Helicopter Pilots Association

wde
26th Jan 2002, 01:47
I am interested in learning about any interest / ideas / horror stories you kind folks have about the pros / cons of forming a Professional Helicopter Pilots Association in Canada. Right now we really don't have anywhere to go to help advance the pressing causes of CDN Helo pilots. I would love to see where this discussion might lead us? I am prepared to work towards starting one up. Any ideas for names? Structure? Any other places out there with such an org? NEMSPA for example?? I am an experienced EMS driver who is pretty fed up with the short shrift many RW drivers get in this country. I anxiously await your feedback.

wde

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: WDH ]</p>

IHL
27th Jan 2002, 09:41
Well you must be really anxious by now seeing as I'm your first reply.

Canadian Helicopter Pilots Association, it well never fly , pardon the pun. Helicopter pilots in Canada are not likely to join.

There is always someone to do the job if you're not willing. I don't know why but I just can't see them getting organized to improve their situation. Undercut there fellow aviator , yea I could see them do that.

paco
28th Jan 2002, 00:37
Good idea - I've got some rules and regs from a similar venture in UK if you need a framework. I'll have to dig around in the archives.

CHPA sounds good, as in what you do and where you do it.

Aside from getting people to pay their dues, though, the biggest obstacle you have to get over is credibility - are you going to be a union or an association?

Phil

wde
28th Jan 2002, 04:25
Hey there IHL and PACO...

Thanks for the first replies. Well, IHL I couldn't agree with you more...there are just too many pilots out there willing to work twice as many days for half the flying at 1/3 the wage. It isn't uncommon to work a fire and find 206 pilots, all doing the same work, making anywhere from 60 - 120 per hr! on the same job! There is this aura of the need for "rugged individualism" in the industry...but the reality is, there are going to be tremendous pilot shortages in the next few years and I believe that we would all be potential winners with some sort of association. Someplace to air grievances, compare notes and share out professional knowledge.

PACO: Whether it is structured as a "union" or "association" or a "club", its genesis will only be about developing a comraderie. And maybe having a debate on the rotor culture in Canada and ways we can change it to our benefit. I would be quite interested any background material you might be able to provide.

Let's get the debate rolling.

paco
28th Jan 2002, 13:26
OK, the rules I refer to were actually for something called the Institute of Air Transport, which I founded with similar aims for all trades within Aviation, so there shouldn't be much to change. It was registered as a Friendly Society, but I don't know if such a beast exists in Canada - perhaps you know a friendly lawyer? You will need one anyway! I will dig around today and convert them into Word and email them to you - I believe they were in Ventura format (that shows you how long it was ago).

I found plenty of people were interested, but you had to hold meetings and things, so officers of the association should not be too far away from each other. Such people should have substantial credibility and be able to talk at high levels. It would certainly need a patron, someone with a high profile.

Just a few things to think about!

phil

CTD
29th Jan 2002, 00:36
If WDH is who I think it is, he could actually pass for a 'friendly lawyer'.

KCW, New Years 1993? . .BV

wde
29th Jan 2002, 06:27
touche, CTD. How's the word processing skills coming along in the land across from H*LL!

wde
1st Feb 2002, 18:22
WOW...this discussion is just FLYING over at the Canadian Aviation Website..for an insight to the Canadian Helo Pilot mentality....

<a href="http://www.canadianaviation.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000398;p=" target="_blank">http://www.canadianaviation.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000398;p=</a>

BZ