PDA

View Full Version : UN Chopper down in Liberia

Gunship
6th Oct 2005, 22:35
Monrovia - A UN helicopter has crashed in northern Liberia on Thursday, injuring four crew, a UN official said.

The chopper was on a humanitarian food delivery mission when it crashed into a swamp in the northern town of Voinjama, said Paul Risley, a UN spokesperson. It was not immediately clear what caused the crash.

The four crew members received minor injuries and were treated at a nearby clinic, Risley said. No other casualties were reported.

The helicopter was one of several shuttling between Liberian towns to deliver food supplies to electoral workers ahead of presidential elections October 11.

Some 15 000 UN peacekeepers are overseeing the war-ravaged country's peace process and helping provide security in the country as a postwar, temporary administration arranges the vote. - Sapa-AP

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=68&art_id=qw1128616920468B241

Gunship
7th Oct 2005, 06:54
The track record of the UN Mi-8/ 17's in SL and Liberia aint good at all. Remember the fatal crash off the coast of FNA in 2001 into the Sierra Leone River ?

Then last year I thinkit was 25 killed when they flew into a koppie in bad weather.

Now this ...

The pilot's you willl find has previously flown for ICI / Paramount etc and they all have an excellent record ?

What's the UN side of things doing wrong ? :confused:

4granted
7th Oct 2005, 14:04
Yo Guns

Looks like we will be heading off too Roberts tommorrow for this crash... any good place to stay eat etc?

Thanks

4g:)

Gunship
7th Oct 2005, 15:03
Lo Mate,

Mamba Point is the best place (incl food and drink).

PM Contraxdog - he lives in a compound with the SAAFAIR oke's and I am sure for a blow - up doll and biltong he will give you a shag - I mean shack to stay in ;)

PS: He also loves beer and food and a good chat :ok:

Otherwise Mamba Point :ok:

Enjoy !

Cheers

Gunss

PS: Pse send my best regards to the UN Chief Genl Opande - he will know who I am (he calls me the mad South African). :E

south coast
7th Oct 2005, 15:25
stay away from contraxdog, from the way he was talking the other day, some new meat might be just enough to push him over the edge...4g, dont bend over or wear a high skirt, he might 'ave you!

josh sitanga
7th Oct 2005, 15:27
"The Track records of the UN Mil 8's/17's have not been good in SL & Liberia"

Why am I not surprised?

After the collapse of the Russian Federation, a lot of unscrupulous people bought some of those old "scrap helicopters" for a nickle and a dime, bought surplus parts, and employed a bunch of unemployed engineers to maintain them, and brought them to Africa. Have you not yet noticed that the Russians are always the cheapest for freight & pax, and their equipment is always suspect!

Some of those Mil 8/17 helicopters are kept flying only through the grace of God. They are in terrible flying condition, and when you see one land, the first thing that happens, the engineer jumps out, opens the cowlings to see what's leaking or what's broken.

Last year, I saw a Mil 8 crash on take off because the tail rotor bearings had failed. The engineer informed the pilot they were marginal, but that it would probably last the flight, and they took off. Seconds later, it crashed.

That is exactly the reason why so many Russian aircraft are going down here in Africa. They're old, mostly timex, but the Russians are keeping them flying with WD40, wire and old timex parts shipped in from stripped aircraft parked in graveyards all over the former Russian Federation.

I'm afraid to say, but there'll be more. The Russians don't care! As long as they get a coupla dollars and enough vodka to drink, and they don't have to live in Russia, they'll do whatever it takes. Legal or illegal, timex or no timex. Fly, they'll fly!

Gunship
7th Oct 2005, 15:36
Can only agree Josh.

Then again Paramount helicopters must pray very hard every day if it is " By the Grace of God" :E

Their track record the past few years are clean and they fly a high density.

Well God Bless hey ;)

B Sousa
7th Oct 2005, 16:39
a lot of unscrupulous people bought some of those old "scrap helicopters" for a nickle and a dime, bought surplus parts, and employed a bunch of unemployed engineers to maintain them, and brought them to Africa. Have you not yet noticed that the Russians are always the cheapest for freight & pax, and their equipment is always suspect!

Josh
You sure your not talking about the Cape Huey(s)?? Sounds very similar..............

contraxdog
7th Oct 2005, 19:00
4 G Give us a call when you get here. Check your PM's

Gunship
7th Oct 2005, 19:57
Oeps ...H .. K ... Gee Ka...

Hier kom groot k@k :E

alexmcfire
7th Oct 2005, 19:58
Any Mil-6 flying around in Africa, they´re banned Russia.
I also wonder if any parts comes from Mil-8/17s involved in
covering the Chernobyl accident 19 years ago?

Gunship
7th Oct 2005, 20:02
Never seen a Mil 6 in Africa ?

But it is a fact that they re-spray parts and mark them as "overhauled" - ask me I had a double engine failure in "overhauled" engines ...

4granted
7th Oct 2005, 22:10
Guys Thanks for PMs and Tel no.s All Noted. As yet we are not sure of depature but as soon as we know so will you... Look forward to the rumbble in the West African Jungle....

4g

:ok:

contraxdog
8th Oct 2005, 08:10
4 G,
The Royal is chok-a-block, the Mamba Point is choc-a-block, infact all the hotels of note are filled to the brim. It so full the price of rooms have just shot up 50% for the month of Oct. Let me know timeously and I might be able to get you a two room three bed apartment for a good price, from one of Gunnies old chommies.
You can sms me if you know the WILL OF AIROPS.....

Ye oldest Contraxdog.

"..it will be long and hard and there will be NO withdrawl..." Winston Churchill

Gunship
8th Oct 2005, 08:17
from one of Gunnies old chommies.

A tjommie is that brown thing a small dog leaves on the pavemement.

Oh ok that can only be my Lebanese friend crossed with a Sierra Leonean and a German along the line ( he has blue eyes) :E

Enjoy :ok:

4granted
9th Oct 2005, 13:49
In typical UN fashion we are called out on a sunday afternoon...

See you soon..

4g

Gunship
28th Oct 2005, 14:16
So any feedback ... ?

Shrike200
28th Oct 2005, 18:46
Aaah, I used to love the queues for the chopper, the moments of doubt as it lifted off from Mami Yoko (can't remember how to spell that!), the urge to sit next to an open window, and do my lap strap up really tight....what fun those trips were....

Hogg
28th Oct 2005, 23:05
yo gunzzzzzzzzzzz

hope alls fine, down sl soon, i know ure not round! email or text me ure new number willya

cheers:D :D :D

Gunship
29th Oct 2005, 12:32
Shrike200 - ask Hogg - him and his crews just love the Mame Yoko trips - so much so that we normally had to get a Dr on standby ..

I always sat at the back and the window open as I know in the big is a BIEG door that (normally) opens :E As everyone wil rush for the front one ;)

Hogg - in the Land of Sand mate :hmm: