PDA

View Full Version : When I was in the AAC

barsandstars
7th Dec 1999, 05:40
Like bees to a honey pot!

Anyway, anyone hear about the impending New Year Bristow cull. Looks like some more loyal people will have to do drastic things about the mortgage and family.

We hear over here that it may be the co-pilots turn.

In my opinion there is a very good secretary called Doris who could run the whole show!

Cyclic Hotline
7th Dec 1999, 08:43
More coming.
Maybe as soon as this week!

Houdini
7th Dec 1999, 22:48
Bristow Helicopters has existed on rumour for some time now, so it is very hard to tell what is true and what is false. I have to say I believe, in the past, they have started some themselves, like government leaks, to manipulate the workforce. A typical example is over the previous redundancies when everyone knew the number and that it was to be on age through the grapevine. But its OK now they have recognized BALPA but can a leopard change its spots. Not overnight I fear!!!

maxvne
7th Dec 1999, 23:12
Yes there will be more to go especially co-pilots, but maybe not untill well into the new year as they are holding out for some overseas contracts. There are also at least 10 young commanders who are just about ready to leave to join the fixed world, so this also might help them to promote new captains on a lower wage and save some money.

Speechless Two
8th Dec 1999, 02:37
It makes me so sad to hear of these possible redundancies – and so glad that I’m no longer part of the declining North Sea helicopter industry. I don’t believe the Bristow leopard can ever change its spots, even though impending government legislation has forced their hand to recognise BALPA. A friend still up in Aberdeen recently sent me an article from the local Press and Journal where Bristow’s Chief Executive was trumpeting the fact they had recognised BALPA as though they had instigated the move!

I hope by now that the new young pilots in the North Sea helicopter industry realise that the North Sea oil business is in a steady decline and that there is no long term future for them. Flying over the North Sea is all about making sure you have got as many options open as possible – inaccurate TAF’s, unforeseen deck closures, loss of aircraft systems – one by one these occurrences put you nearer to an incident or accident.

So it is on the employment front – keep all your options open. By all means enjoy a few years flying helicopters, but make damn sure you get your fixed wing licences before your bond is up. The grass certainly isn’t greener in the fixed wing world apart from longer term better pay and pension prospects, but you have more options in terms of available employers when the hatchet men strike, and the fixed wing industry is not in decline like the North Sea offshore helicopter market.

Whatever you young guys in Bristows do, you must join BALPA and support those in your Company Council who have worked with vision but without any reward for so many years. Sure, BALPA isn’t perfect, nothing is – but it’s like the Lottery, you have a chance of winning if you buy a ticket but you sure as hell have no chance if you don’t. Through the incompetence of the management Bristow will soon be nothing more than a small provincial helicopter operator – so very, very, sad.

And whilst I’m in full flow, what’s this I hear that retired Bristow pilots are working in Kosovo on Bristow contracts for £170 per day, plus meagre allowances? If this is true then come on guys, be real, do you really think that’s all you are worth? You may have balls’d up your pension by not making proper provision, but you are just depressing the rates those struggling in pre-retirement employment can expect.

------------------
Mind The Gap

piston broke
8th Dec 1999, 03:44
Speechless Two. Concur re daily rates of pilots in Kosovo, thats scandalous. I was earning £225n per diem around London in ad hoc charter on Jetrangers 5 Yrs ago. Shame!

But then with the history of spite and illegal vindictiveness/victimisation shown by Bristows re union men (and here Im thinking of the late 70s strikers), Im not at all surprised that bad blood has appeared again.

Yes, you absolutely must join BALPA, theyre your only hope, then the FW licences and get out of the frying-pan into the fire. At least the pays better.

leading edge
8th Dec 1999, 08:39
OLOG execs were recently overheard discussing the need to ull more Bristow Staff so standby guys. They are waiting on a couple of overseas contracts but then CHC, PHI,MHS and Schreiner are also waiting for the same contract so it isn't going to be a big job creation opportunity.

Rumours also that BHL are going to only employ people on contracts from now on so they can get rid of people without BALPA interference. Smart idea, recognise then ignore because you don't have to negotiate!!

All North Sea crews should join BALPA and then sort out this vindictive mess by striking until the oil companies and the helicopter operators find at least some decency in the way they treat their people.

Also, more redundancies at Great Yarmouth rumoured. Watch your backs people..

Vortex1
10th Dec 1999, 21:59
Can't agree with the above sentiment's more, those of you in Bristow's not in BALPA should join as soon as poss.

As for you young HP guys, enjoy the flying as much as you can but get a fixed wing licence and get out before it's too late. As fas as the grass being greener, well i'd say it's a little greener and the salary is a little higher!

Attila
14th Dec 1999, 15:55
Just to reply to Speechless two’s comment about retired Bristow pilots and Kosovo. Suggest you get your facts right before casting aspersions about pension provision. The guys out there are some of those who were made redundant at the latest cull. As a result, one’s pension planning does go out of the window when your employer moves the goalposts, which leaves precious few choices, usually just take it before someone else does.

What about all the fixed wing guys who “just keep their hands in” and fly rotary during their time off, thereby denying work to some who need it. You know the ones I mean, they work for Airtours, Virgin, BA – various fleets - and Midland to name but a few.

Sorry if this seems a little acidic, but it is very easy to hypothesise whilst sitting in air-conditioned comfort with hot and cold running hosties pandering to your every need.

Speechless Two
15th Dec 1999, 03:34
Attila – ref your comments. If the accusation of hypothesising from an air conditioned fixed wing flight deck with hosties pandering to my every need is directed at me, then may I put you straight by stating that I have retired from aviation – albeit forcibly early – as you will see in my profile. I will accept criticism if I have the daily rate for Kosovo wrong, but I did include in my post the proviso “If this is true” in the hope that someone would confirm or deny it – but I’m willing to bet the rate is still under £200 per day.

I am aware that some former Bristow pilots in Kosovo were part of the cull which resulted in their termination on September 10th. Having been part of that cull myself, Attila, I am unfortunately only too aware of the facts.

Anyone who worked for Bristow over the years must have had their head in the sand not to realise from similar previous culls what the redundancy policy was and should have also realised the impact CRINE would have on the offshore industry and its requirements for helicopter services. Couple CRINE with an inadequate Bristow management and for years it had been obvious to me that there was at best an only even chance of reaching normal retirement age of 58. Unfortunately for a lot of us Bristow did move the goal posts last summer. Unlike some I had however made financial provision in case the worst happened.

On termination I was asked if I was available for contract work but I absolutely refused to prostitute myself at the pitiful UK rates offered by an employer who had just cut my legs away from under me by making me redundant. Unless we all tell them to get on their bike until they pay a proper rate, then the daily UK contract rates will remain about the same that I pay to a decent painter and decorator. As a further comment, if pilots within Bristow continue to be willing to work on a day off at or less than their pro rata daily rate or are willing to go on UK offshore night stops for £29.60 taxable per night, then the rates will stay where they are for another ten years, just like they have for the last ten. The same goes for that miserable £18 per day subsistence allowance when on detachment. If you were the Chief Executive would you bother to increase those rates while your employees were willing to accept them? They will only rise once you guys left in the Company do something about it.

------------------
Mind The Gap

leading edge
15th Dec 1999, 10:32
Attila

I that you of Beryl fame? I have lost your
e-mail. We need to discuss the camp!!

LE

tigerpilot
18th Dec 1999, 11:18
How can Bristow justify making pilots redundant whilst they are employing contract pilots ANYHWERE in the world?

This looks like a good thing for the BALPA guys to really get their teeth into.

I,m glad that I,m out!

Attila
19th Dec 1999, 23:26
Speechless, whilst I agree with your sentiments in theory, you know how difficult it is to put things into practice. How often have you seen guys at a BALPA meeting all agreeing not to work a day off at the daily rate, only to see them selling days off the very next working day? Like beating your head against a brick wall. But this is the position in which some compulsory retirees find themselves. By the way, were you on the S61 fleet, coming to work in a reefer jacket?

Leading Edge, I have been on the Beryl, but I neither ride a Harley nor do I drive an American Pick up.

Retreating Blade Stall
23rd Dec 1999, 16:38
Gentlemen,
I do not know what you are worth now,but I can tell what you were worth once-B.A. narrow body jet salary scale!!
That was achieved for B.A.H. pilots in the mid seventies,with the aid of BALPA. At that time of course,Bristow pilots did nothing to help the cause but did enjoy the benefits obtained by the strong stance taken by the B.A.H. pilots in order to achieve this pay rate through BALPA. This was because Bristow needed pilots as much as B.A.H.and had to compete on salary scales.
For BAH pilots, BALPA has been very beneficial in the past as it helped to ensure the sort of management practices seen at Bristow's(e.g.early retirement forced upon you according to your age) has largely been avoided to the best of my knowledge.
For your information,I have refused to do daily rate work because I can see the strategy of sacking people and then taking them back on on cheap casual rates as bad for you everyone, and as a retired chap, I have a pension to keep the wolf from the door.
If ever there was a time for you all to get organised,it is now.
Otherwise, expect to be crapped upon forever.
For your info, I was speaking to a daily rate BAE146 pilot last night. His rate is £500/day plus expenses!!!!
Good luck
Seasons greetings to all.

barsandstars
24th Dec 1999, 13:14
Well put RBS.
If you check out the news page on justhelicopters.com you'll see that there are a few other people who would like a change to our downward spiral.
The bottom line appears that people are concerned as much about safety as loosing jobs. Can't remember plank wings ever being in this situation, unless you did crew changes out of Timbuktu.
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone!