PDA

View Full Version : Definition of flight time (JAA)

332man
25th Jan 2002, 21:35
Can some one give me the definition of FLIGHT TIME according JAA or other regs for rotorcraft?. .When does it count as flight time?

Helinut
27th Jan 2002, 16:26
332man,

Unless they changed it recently so that my copy of JAR-FCL2.001 is out of date:

"FLIGHT TIME:. .The total time from the moment that an aircraft first moves under its own or external power for the purpose of taking off until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight"

Sounds like a fixed wing definition to me that was just copied across from the FW JAR. In the UK, our regulations have a different definition for RW flight time. Who knows which one should be used in the UK, since we are supposed to be under JAR too.

The JAA website used to allow you to look at the text of all JAA documents, but these have now been removed.

Hope this helps.

BHPS
27th Jan 2002, 23:24
332man

My Company logs flying time from when the helicopter first ground taxies (or hover taxies if it has skids) until the speed selects/throttles are closed at the end of the flight

paco
28th Jan 2002, 00:22
For your logbook, it's from when it moves under its own power until the rotors run down.

For tech logs, it's skids off to skids on, with suitable adjustments for landings in between - I believe, when pleasure flying anyway, that one third can be deducted from running time to get air time.

Phil

rotormatic
28th Jan 2002, 07:40
From JAR-1, Definitions:

Flight time as used with respect to;

a. licensing of flight crew, is defined in JAR-FCL;

b. aircraft operations, is defined in JAR-OPS;

c. type certification of aircraft, is defined in JAR-21;

d. maintenance, is defined in JAR-OPS Subpart M.

From FAA FAR Part 1, Definitions:

Flight time means:

(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing; or. . . .(2) For a glider without self-launch capability, pilot time that commences when the glider is towed for the purpose of flight and ends when the glider comes to rest after landing.