PDA

View Full Version : Got to do something about safety?

shortfinals
6th Oct 2005, 18:38
From Flight Int this week: International Helicopter Safety Seminar, Montreal, says rotary wing safety is not good enough.

This would have been a bit of a cheek if it had not come from the rotary wing industry!

http://www.flightinternational.com/Articles/2005/10/04/201936/+US+military+moves+to+cut+helicopter+accident+rates.html

http://www.flightinternational.com/Articles/2005/10/04/Navigation/197/201964/Plea+to+curb+rate+of+helicopter+crashes.html

paco
6th Oct 2005, 20:16
Well, they should try to do something about the relative requirements of customers, management and pilots, then.

Phil

ShyTorque
6th Oct 2005, 22:27
They could begin by sending the management / programmers on CRM courses and making them sit the Human Performance and Limitations exam.

remote hook
6th Oct 2005, 22:37
Well maybe a good place to start would be a complete re-vamping of the standard to which we train, both for intitial and recurrent. Follow that closely by mandating the use of NVG for night EMS ops, and HUET training for utility pilots.

Just a few suggestions, but unfortunately ones that are way over due and deemed unrealistic by many. We are (in Canada at least) an industry taking advantage of the best technology the the 1950's has to offer, and seem entirely unable to make the leap into the present. The pundits say that it'll cost too much, if that's the case charge more, re-educate the customers on what it really costs to field good equipement and pilots, and stick too it.

For some reason so called "insurance" limits are being imposed with little or no research or thought, rendering scores of capable pilots unable to work many contracts - all in the name of safety. If a big oil company wants to ensure the saftey of it's employees when in helicopters, DEMAND the best training for the pilots, the best equipment for the job, and realize that paying for it is nessesary. Unfortunatley lip-service is all that gets paid to "saftey" these days, as anything that makes a real difference actually cost someone money.

Duty times for engineers anyone?

RH

Devil 49
7th Oct 2005, 16:29
There's never "enough" safety, and- yes, the industry has a problem.
Human factors, primarily, from the bean counters, to management at all levels, to techs, and the final link, we, the pilots- need to constantly remind ourselves that one mistake is enough, in this business, to remove you from the active pilot population.
Harry Reasoner said it- "If something bad hasn't happened already, it's about to." Keep your finger on the map, a back door open for escape, and know where you're going when something breaks.

SASless
7th Oct 2005, 16:32
As was asked to me the other day when we felt an unusual bump in what was an otherwise very smooth flight...."Think that was the head?"....my reply...."Are we on the other side?" "If so....it might have been the head!"

Sometimes there is just nothing you can do.....but hope you have your ducks in a row.:uhoh:

paco
8th Oct 2005, 05:08
Duty times for engineers? Yes, but....

I think the whole duty hours thing should be looked at again - I see nothing wrong in having a relatively high flying rate during the day - after all, if you're on standby or away from home you may as well work, as you get more tired when you're sitting around.

What I would do is rigidly enforce days off. Half the benefit of a day off is knowing you're going to get one, and when they get screwed around, your mental concentration goes, and at that point you may as well go home anyway. A day not flying is not a day off!

Phil

SASless
8th Oct 2005, 08:22
Devil,

You say the industry has a problem...I have said there is a problem...anyone in the know...says there is a problem. Pilots in the Gulf of Mexico (well a few anyway) say there is a problem...I have even heard a very senior manager in the Gulf say there is a problem. The FAA mumbles something about improvements needed....but what gets accomplished? What real improvements have occurred over the past Ten years?

Simple example....

An hour before dark, winter day, cold air, cold water, 170 NM out heading for your rig in yer Jet Ranger...down time is 30 minutes away....sunset is an hour away...you have 30 NM to run to your Rig. The sea state is such that the helicopter is going to roll over immediately upon ditching....no exposure suits...only yer blue Swiflik vest on...it is raining. The wind is blowing 20 knots. You made your position report Seven minutes ago.

The engine flames out without any warning....you are at 500 feet MSL....you are flying downwind.

What are your chances for survival at that point.