PDA

View Full Version : Jepp CS Question

Ejector
6th Oct 2005, 14:53
I am looking at a plate for YBCS,

"ILS or LOC Rwy 15" 3 Jun 05

Next to the lead bearings is "364" on both sides, Y not just use a VOR in stead of the 364 NDB? Is there a big difference?

:O

Mainframe
6th Oct 2005, 21:13
Ejector

If you were actually going to use the plate, you would have seen the notam,
The VOR was out of serice for some months being upgraded to Dopper.

That notam overlaps the Jepp date.

Check the ASA website and notams, VOR's across the country are being upgraded to Doppler at most major airports.

DME will usually be knocked out too for shorter periods.

Never assume, read the notams and save embarrassment.

Capt Claret
6th Oct 2005, 21:35
Also, many aircraft, if not most, use the same receiver/display for VOR & ILS. Could it be that it's adding to workload and a bit difficult to cross the lead radial, then tune & identify the ILS and not miss the localiser intercept (shoot through)?

RENURPP
6th Oct 2005, 22:31
The lead bearing was using the NDB WELL before they though about upgrading the VOR.

Never assume, read the notams and save embarrassment.

true, but not relevant in this case.

pall
7th Oct 2005, 09:38
Please forgive my ignorance. If NDB's are going to be upgraded to DOPPLER does this mean they will cease to be available as NDB's?

After the UPGRADE will they come back online as NDB's and accessable to our ADF's?

Tinstaafl
7th Oct 2005, 13:03
NDBs don't use doppler effects. I think you mean VORs.

Cooly has used the option of the VOR *or* the NDB as part of the pilot interpreted ILS approach for years.

Mainframe
8th Oct 2005, 14:58
Tinstaafl,

If Pall wants Doppler NDB's, why not.

We might also try log periodic antennas, time division multiplexing,
frequency shift keying and even tweak the Pulse repetition rate.

Concurrent with the Doppler VOR program, there will be both a phasing out program for some NDBs,
and an enhancement (power boost) program for others.

GPS RNAV approaches will progressively take the place of terrestrial navaids, particularly in remote areas.

No mention yet of any policy to implement WAAS augmentation for the GPS equipment.

Uncommon Sense
8th Oct 2005, 23:35
Tinstaafl,

Hmm. When did you last fly the CG ILS?

Capt Claret
9th Oct 2005, 00:19
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151180&perpage=20&highlight=ILS%20Cooly&pagenumber=1

Tinstaafl
9th Oct 2005, 18:31
Oops. Sorry! My error entirely. I was thinking of both of the outbound on NDB & VOR approaches and for some reason thought they led into an ILS. Buggered if I know why I thought that. Must've been combining a mish-mash of approaches from all over the place.