PDA

View Full Version : Working in the far east - advice!

Dak Mechanic
6th Oct 2005, 12:14
I'm going for an interview in a few days for a job (non flying). This interview is the result of another job I went for earlier in the year with same organisation but based mainly in Japan.

From what I can gather this job is mainly in China, but supporting operations throughout the South East Asia area (so Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, Vietnam etc.).

I was reasonably comfortable with Japan, but China is another story, as I have had little experience of the culture etc. I don't know if I'll be expected to actually rent accomodation or just live from hotel to hotel - questions that will be answered on the day I hope!!

Any advice on where to base myself (assuming that China is the main country I'll be working in), and what to expect would be most welcome - for instance would there be a problem living in Taiwan if I were to be visiting the mainland regularly? Could I stay in Hong Kong or should I be looking at Beijing or another of the larger cities? I've no idea where my prospective employer wants to send me, so there's more questions than answers at the moment!

I'm Caucasian, English born and bred, and know none of the Chinese dialects so whatever happens it'll be a great adventure if I get the job!!!

JC

Lost in Saigon
6th Oct 2005, 14:42
I think it would be difficult for pilots to accurately answer your questions because our lifestyle is pretty far removed from your average desk job.

Laying over in fancy hotels all over the world and/or commuting home every 4/6 weeks isn't the same as actually living there full time.