PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera software

tony draper
6th Oct 2005, 10:41
Borrowed nephews digital camera,trouble is he has lost the sofware CD that came with it.
I borrowed it when he first got it a couple of years ago and I loaded the software onto my puter,then downloaded pickies from the camera via the USB port no prob,trouble is ones Hard disc has been formated a few times since then and the software is long gone, would this be bespoke software dedicated to this particular camera,(Olypus C/D-230), or will there be some software out there on the net somewhere that I can download that will do the same job??
Greatfull for any help chaps.
:rolleyes:

Opps sorry, forgot to add,one is running Windows 98.

BRL
6th Oct 2005, 11:08
Have a look here Tony Olympus Download Site. (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_software.cfm) :)

tony draper
6th Oct 2005, 12:17
Hmmm thanks BRL,had a look,it seems to list all the dammed camera but this one,and the downloads seem to be updates for the sofware not the utility itself which I recal now was called Camedia, far as I can see this bloody camera is useless without the software to download pickies to yer puter,tiz a truth universaly accepted that all nephews are prats and ingrates.
:suspect:
Thanks anyway BRL one shall continue ones quest.

gas path
6th Oct 2005, 12:42
Got a card reader in said 'putor Tony? If so you can just stuff the card into the reader and explore it via 'my computor'.
Get some freeby software to import it to, for example Adobe photoshop album starter edition and click on 'import from camera or card reader'. :ok:

Conan the Librarian
6th Oct 2005, 17:34
Loads of free software to ease your worries Mr. Draper... Try Picasa2 from Google. Any problems you get, let me know.

http://picasa.google.com/download/

Conan

Genghis the Engineer
6th Oct 2005, 19:26
After much agro from the more advanced versions of camera software, I now have a £15 card reader on my desk, and have never looked back.

G

MightyGem
7th Oct 2005, 02:45
Can you not connect via the USB lead and access the jpegs from there?

7th Oct 2005, 04:31
If you are using a USB cable or a card reader, you should be able to view and download pics via "my computer", "removable disc" and place the pics into a folder of your choice. I dont use the cameras software at all. Just a card reader which downloads the pics faster than the camera connected via the USB port will.
Picasa2 is an excellent product btw.

Background Noise
7th Oct 2005, 12:48
Yes, but Win 98 doesn't natively support USB does it? I think maybe Win 98 SE did, can't remember. In this case the camera software will include some sort of USB driver. But you could probably get a USB driver from elsewhere and just use the camera as an 'external drive'. As suggested above, I don't use the Fuji supplied software - I just drag and drop from camera to my pictures folder. Having said that, the supplied software did have some useful bulk re-naming utils, I just don't like TSR software hanging around using up resources.

Conan the Librarian
7th Oct 2005, 14:37
Win 98 SE is no sweat, as it supports USB natively. The Original 98 can still be easily conned into behaving though. There was even a workthrough for Win 95 and USB.

The cardreader is the way to go for all digital users. Puts less strain on your camera and if an earlier camera it will save buckets of batteries within a short time. Later cameras are better behaved with batteries.

Conan

tony draper
7th Oct 2005, 16:06
thanks for the advice peeps, nephew eventually got off his arse and has located the CD.
:rolleyes: