PDA

View Full Version : Is Bob Hoover still flying?

RJM
6th Oct 2005, 07:26
Just wondering. He must be 83 years old now.

treadigraph
6th Oct 2005, 07:29
I think he does (now where did I see that recently?) but the Shrike has been retired to a museum.

Golf Charlie Charlie
6th Oct 2005, 20:41
I don't know whether he still flies, but I saw him at Oshkosh this year where he gave an excellent lecture and Q & A session on life, flying and air safety. He was there with Chuck Yeager, and both belied their years with their vigour, coherence and humour. If ever there were any classic American heroes from central casting, it would be these two.

spitfire
6th Oct 2005, 23:08
I don't think he's flying a lot, but did personally deliver his Shrike to the National Air & Space Museum last year.

RJM
7th Oct 2005, 06:09
He visited Australia a few years ago. I saw him flying and soon forgot that I was watching an old man - I was just stunned by the incredibly smooth display of consummate skill!

The experience was made even sweeter by the fact that our aviation authority had to be talked into allowing Hoover to fly at all on grounds of his advanced years!!

treadigraph
7th Oct 2005, 07:10
Australia allowed him to fly his routine after the FAA grounded him for "medical" reasons - that were eventaully overturned in court.

Saw him at Reno '99 - wow!

Fantome
11th Oct 2005, 06:52
. . . . is the outstanding autobiography of this staggeringly talented, (and modest), aerial artist.

It is also a funny book. Read the bit about his rookie days in the Army Air Corps, and the hilarious repartee they had going with up themselves sergeants.

Stampe
11th Oct 2005, 16:00
I,ve read "Forever Flying" excellent read ,there was another book published about his struggle against the overbearing FAA when they tried to stop him flying.Its not available now anyone know its title and ISBN number ??its on my must read list.:ok: