PDA

View Full Version : Bristows being sued

Floppy Link
24th Nov 1999, 03:19
=

[This message has been edited by Floppy Link (edited 25 November 1999).]

Skycop
25th Nov 1999, 00:45
Are you suggesting he died through his own ineptitude then? Dodgy ground if there's suing to be done.

leading edge
25th Nov 1999, 08:52
Floppy Link, I suggest you check your FACTS before you put your foot in your mouth. The Winchman was stranded on a sinking tanker after the winch cable got caught and was cut. He was a hero and payed the ultimate price for saving others' lives.There was nothing he could do about it.

So, when you're sitting comfortably in your 757 sipping coffe with your brain in neutral (as it obviously is most of the time) just think of the sort of selfless people who risk their own lives rescuing those who are in peril. Then, think introspectively about why you are so selfish and would grudge the widow of a hero a decent settlement to support her for the rest of here life. Then, find out from Bristows how you can help by contributing a small part of your large pay cheque to help the fund set up to help her.

When you have assuaged your guilt for being so crass, then you can come back and join the rest of the human race.

Skycop, YOU should know better. You have no money because you fly hlicopters so a simple apology should be sufficient with a promise not to be such a blockhead in future.

Speechless Two
26th Nov 1999, 01:03
Oh dear oh dear! In my short time since I found out about PPRuNe I was relieved that the Rotorheads forum managed to keep itself on a reasonably level basis with well informed professional comment. Unlike some contributors to the predominantly fixed-wing Rumours and News forum, we did not seem to participate in ill informed comment and “slagging off” such as provided by Floppy Link. Even though he may have a helo oriented nom-de-plume, his knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the tragedy of Bill Deacon’s death is shown to be appallingly devoid of any facts. Those of us who flew with Bill will join me in taking great exception to the slur he attempts to cast on his wife Lorna for her efforts to provide for herself and her family.

Is Floppy Link really suggesting that the families of those who die in the service of their employer should not take legal redress where it can be proved that a negligent party caused that death? Would he condemn the family of Capt Vito Beer if they took action against those who caused the fatal injuries to him at Manchester recently?

If you can’t make some meaningful contribution to this forum, Floppy Link, then take your comments to Jet Blast where they may lie disregarded and in contempt.

------------------
Mind The Gap

Floppy Link
26th Nov 1999, 03:15
OK Guys
I'm sorry.
It's gone.
The ineptitude bit was aimed not at Bill, but at me. (after a year I still try to come to a hover in the 757)
My time in SAR and then EMS was the most rewarding work I've done.

My complaint was aimed at the US style of litigation which brought their light aircraft industry to its knees e.g.when the manufacturers were sued for damages 'cos some guy died when he'd had a skinful and gone flying and crashed.

I apologise if I chose the wrong subject to start my diatribe. Obviously you chaps believe there is a case to answer, 'cos you have more facts, and if that is the case then good luck to her, I'm behind Mrs Deacon all the way, and I unreservedly apologise to any who have taken offence.

It's the US 'ambulance chaser' type of lawyer I don't like. Trying to make a case out of nothing.

FL
(mind in neutral, not just at FL390)

SARcastic
26th Nov 1999, 03:22
Well said 'Leading edge', Floppy Link was in line for everything you gave him, but there is a twist to this tale - only the media believed that the winch cable was cut - it never happened ! It was attempted but there was a malfunction (I dare not say why), but this action effectively disabled the winch, and it was all too late for poor Bill.
Personally I hope that Lorna Deacon does extremely well with the forthcoming legal action.

Skycop
26th Nov 1999, 03:34
You removed it - I should think so too! Speaking as an ex SAR man, losing the winchman is every SAR pilots' nightmare. The pilots are often given the glory but the winchmen are the true heroes.

Leading Edge, I am well aware of the facts of this case. I am not sure why you think I am a blockhead. I posted as a protest to the original. I can only assume you have totally misunderstood it.

leading edge
27th Nov 1999, 07:54
Skycop, You are forgiven, I apologise if I misunderstood your thread but I thought that this one needed to be nipped in the bud. Floppy Link, your action in removing the thread is appropriate, thank you. You too may now be forgiven.

Long may rotorheads and good humoured rumour survive. Bill, if your'e up there, you have our greatest respect and admiration for what you did.

Speechless Two
27th Nov 1999, 20:23
Thanks from me also, Floppy Link, for removing the thread.

------------------
Mind The Gap

Skycop
28th Nov 1999, 03:40
Leading Edge, I have just re-read all of this again as I was still confused by your reply to my post. Just to make it clear, I was not in any way involved with the original incident referred to and was not implying that I intend to sue anyone or (hopefully) be in a position to be sued by anyone either. I merely intended to point out that it is not a good idea to publically post such inflammatory stuff, especially if there are court cases pending. Actually, I have no money because my wife's spending expands to fit my bank balance. Hey, you aren't my wife are you?

leading edge
29th Nov 1999, 06:57
Skycop, mate, I thought that you had implied some form of incompetence, that's all. Maybe I was too quick to anger. I have apologised for misunderstanding your thread.

I am not your wife. No offence but I don't want to be either, I have one of my own thanks and she has similar spending habits to yours. Must be genetic!!

baldspot
1st Dec 1999, 06:41
As the subject is open, I hear there is a developing campaign to award Bill Deacon a posthumous George Cross.
Well deserved.
Apparantly however, the recommendation should have come from the Coastguard and due to feet dragging, or just sheer ignorance, little progress has been made.
Two years on I fear the opportunity to recognise this bravery is slipping away.
Contrary to some media reports, the George Cross, as shown by its recent award to the RUC, can be awarded to civilians who display outstanding courage in the most difficult circumstances.
I stand to be corrected, but I believe it was introduced by King George during the blitz and its first recepients were bomb squad officers and members of the emergency services. No more fitting example of selfless courage to carry on that fine tradition, I believe.

212man
2nd Dec 1999, 00:47
God it all gets confusing!

As I was too late to read the cause of all this I can't comment in too much detail.

But,comma (excuse the grammar), if any one needs sueing it's HMCG as I recall, along with the shipping coy.

I will never forget Bill as a friendly, cheerful slightly rougeish character who was a pleasure to work with. He was a common sight around Ellon as well, where we would often bump into each other and have a chin wag. Excellent bloke.

As for the GC, I thought it was SPECIFICALLY instigated for civillians? He'd be a worthy recipient anyway.

RIP.

Tips
14th Dec 1999, 22:17
Oh dear.... what a total **** you have made of yourself Floppy Link. Do wait until you know the facts before you go spouting off you clown.