PDA

View Full Version : EK 2nd Officers?

Bystander1
5th Oct 2005, 19:11
I was wondering if Emirates is hiring 2nd officers now or are they planning to do so? The reason I ask is that a recent batch of pilots interviewing had some surprising aspects.
One pilot from the far east was a cruise pilot on the B-747-400 for a major airline. The other pilot was flying a Fokker 50 somewhere in Africa and the third pilot was flying a Platius (spelling) in Switzerland.
Now these pilots told me that directly. My friend's gardner's cousin did not tell me. They all very well could have been flying a different airplane(s) in their career but that is what they told me they were flying right now. Any comments?

White Knight
5th Oct 2005, 19:40
Not the "duck-bill PLATIUS" was it??;) ;)

SecurID
5th Oct 2005, 23:21
White Knight, now don't be naughty. What you have to remember is at least the Pilatus is turbine time, unless it's the original Piston Porter. Heaven knows, at the current rate we could be asking for anybody with "anything that has a propellor, including hovercraft" time soon...

LHR Rain
6th Oct 2005, 10:05
Can't EK find some C-172 pilots that are willing to work in Dubai? What about flight attendants? They spend as much time in the cockpit as do cruise pilots and probably know just as much. EK needs to search all avenues and come up with some creative thinking to get the pilots to fill the slots and I just listed two ideas. Maybe I will submit them to Bright Ideas and get an award. Does anyone else have any ideas to get people to come to EK? Oh never mind we are getting 30 applications a day.

BYMONEK
6th Oct 2005, 11:58
LHR Rain

Humour isn't one of your strong points is it? A quick look at your profile confirms that! ;)

semper fi
6th Oct 2005, 13:51
I sit here in quiet amusement and read that EK still keeps on hiring, heck, with so many planes coming, will they be able to man them at all? Yet.... so many are called ...few are chosen.
To what end this is , the shifting sands of time.
Ramadan is upon us......:}

Payscale
7th Oct 2005, 06:05
EK has hired people of Turboprops in the past. So the guy that flys a F50 today might have flown the A340 last year... who knowns.
Cadet pilots do an excelent job. They come off the Piper Seminole.
Taking 2nd officers does not add to the flexability. Hire them into the right seat with a little more training.

Come on down to Disneyland MKII

coolguy
7th Oct 2005, 15:46
so whats the second officer requirments then?

Golconda
8th Oct 2005, 04:52
Hello,
Curious about these EK Second Officer rumors. I know Qatar is hiring SOs and I hear EK may hire SOs or Cruise Pilots but no info on their web site about this.
Please let us know what kind of minimums they require. Do they want a lot of turbine time? Is CPL enough or do u need to have an ATPL b4 applying?

Thanks

LHR Rain
15th Oct 2005, 17:14
And most importantly what will the pay be like for 2nd Officers? Knowing EK it won't be that great.

vickers23
15th Oct 2005, 19:15
I think I am missing something here??? what happened with this SA deal???:suspect:

LHR Rain
16th Oct 2005, 14:47
DOA!

Not going to happen. Wishful thinking on our part.