PDA

View Full Version : Something scary

philip2004uk
5th Oct 2005, 13:29
Well i want to be cabin crew but i needed to find this information and it doesn't look as an attractive job, this all stemed from someone saying it in passing and then i read nasa's forecast then searched for this:

http://www.studyworksonline.com/cda/content/article/0,,NAV4-42_SAR1193,00.shtml

Still the Association of Flight Attendants recommends having radiation monitors on flights so that airplanes could change altitude or route during solar storms. And a few airlines do routinely alter routes to avoid solar storms. European governments classify their flight crews as radiation workers, educating them about radiation risks and tracking their exposure. Some people discount the dangers from solar radiation and suggest that the solar flares' disruption of radio communication is a bigger threat to passengers as is their risk from germs carried by other passengers[B]

OZcabincrew
5th Oct 2005, 23:54
you could also work on a construction site and a wall fall on you..............

philip2004uk
6th Oct 2005, 07:44
I reallly want to work in the airlines as all the things i've learnt from my interests in aircraft is strong so maybe i can work on the ground :D

ricciricardo
6th Oct 2005, 10:40
Don't worry Phil, you're more likely to die in a terrorist attack than fall sick from some 'aviation radiation' related illness, although it certainley can't be dismissed that it is not the most healthy of environments to spend a lot of time in!
:ooh:

mostie
6th Oct 2005, 10:57
We are all going to die of something.

It has however been suggested that career longhaul FAs [and pilots] live 5 to 10 years less on average than the general public.

I suppose it won't matter much for the newcomers as career aircrew [FAs] become a thing of the past.

Would you like fries with that..................

wiggy
6th Oct 2005, 15:41
Sorry, but there's no evidence to back up the "living 5 to ten years less" claim. Whilst there are signs of, perhaps, an increased incidence of some forms of cancer in flight crew one problem the docs have with the research is that the effects are so small it's difficult to measure. They'd sure as heck be aware of an increased mortality like that........

IMHO you should be more concerned about shift patterns, low humidity, exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation on those long lost tropical slips etc...............or on the other hand you could stay on the ground and get killed in a car crash on the daily commute.

OZcabincrew
6th Oct 2005, 16:04
I remember when signing the medical paperwork it talked about that as a F/A you're at a higher risk to radiation than non-flyers, but it was only a difference of like 0.000001 or something.

OZ

BYMONEK
8th Oct 2005, 07:44
wiggy

There was a study undertaken by BA some years back and it did reveal some interesting data regarding links between retirement age and death amongst flight crew. I can't remember the exact figures but along the lines of those that retired at 55 lived to an average of 72 wheras those that retired at 60 enjoyed only 5 years in retirement. I do remember that there was a seven year longer life expectancy for those that stopped flying earlier so mostie may well have been confusing the info from that. Whether of course this study could be applied outside of aviation remains to be seen but food for thought for all of us eh?
Sad thing is, i'll probably only be able to afford 5 years in retirement anyway. ho hum!:uhoh:

Flying_Sarah747
10th Oct 2005, 17:17
You're right Oz, it's only like .000000001% or something really crazy like that. How many of you guys smoke or are around people that smoke??? I'm sure that's way more likely to give you cancer than becoming cabin crew!!!! I really wouldnt let that put you off being crew!!!! :)