PDA

View Full Version : PA-28 Down : 3 Tourists and Pilot Dead

Gunship
5th Oct 2005, 10:33
Another sad accident ... Eischhh RIP :sad:

A light plane crashed south of the Moroccan city of Marrakesh on Tuesday, killing all three Swiss tourists on board and the pilot, police told AFP.

The Piper PA-28 plane went down 90km from the city near the village of Ansa in the Atlas mountains, an area which is difficult to reach.

"Unfortunately there are no survivors," a local government official said.

The Swiss tourists had spent two days in Marrakesh before deciding to go to Ouarzazate on Tuesday.

Several provincial police forces as well as Moroccan civil protection units banded together in their search for the plane.

The victims were recovered and rushed to hospital but were all declared dead.

According to Map news agency, the plane, which took off early on Tuesday from Marrakesh, sent off distress signals when it was between Aguelmous, the Tishka Pass and Taddart, all in the Atlas mountains.

The passengers were named as Luis Schucani, Patricia Eggenberger, Eberhard Gich and Patrick Stafer.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2-11-1447_1811480,00.html

B Sousa
5th Oct 2005, 15:10
Take a good look at this forum. A lot of the threads cover nothing other than fly and die in Africa..
Time for some agency..............Hello SACAA, to get into the pro-active safety mode and maybe have some get togethers with Pilots around the country............
Its cheaper than investigating a crash......

Gunship
5th Oct 2005, 15:53
It also makes news here on the continent ... not in the USA where crashes are also quite common :E

Just like your crime figures - they are there but Katrina is more important. So your country is crime - free :E

We take our crashes seriously ...

B Sousa
5th Oct 2005, 18:29
There you go again Guns, draping yourself in the flag... Yes we have accidents in the U.S. but I will bet you the best bottle of Tassies (If there is such a thing) that the accident rate is one hell of a lot lower.
Quite common in the U.S.? I dont think so, maybe you should understand that there are almost as many Airplanes flying daily here in the states as you have in one year........
Nobody is Dissing South Africa dont get so defensive. If you take things so seriously Im sure we would see more "safety gatherings" etc.........I also understand its hard to do as many countries are involved.........
What the hell do crime figures have to do with Aviation Safety. You sound like a liberal diverting the topic.
Chill a bit, but look at it objectively.......

Gunship
5th Oct 2005, 22:03
Good Tassies come in boxes ...

B Sousa
6th Oct 2005, 01:14
OK
Tassies in the finest European Cardboard...........

Captain Pheremone
6th Oct 2005, 02:59
Hey Bert

While you think up your replyy....!!!!!!

I always read your posts with interest..they are generally well informed...BUT do you realize that from the outside looking in ...you nearly always reply with a negative posts.

Do you see yourself as negative or just perfect.

B Sousa
6th Oct 2005, 04:09
just perfect.

That will do for a start, thanks Im glad you agree...........
Give me a Positive thread that I can applaud..........Be more than happy to congratulate somebody for something.................(While Im waiting I see the Russians have made some more Scrap Aluminum)

Human pheremones... do they exist?

Soap Box Cowboy
6th Oct 2005, 20:46
Let's have a little look at where we are flying, we work in areas with no or little infastructure at times, we do our own weather analasis at times. On bad days we are under the hood with the engineers working out problems. We fly to places and in conditions most regular pilots would s:mad: t themselves in.

And we do it proffesionally, this may not be the states where we are covered in NDB's VOR's and radar vectors for ever little moron in a 152 that get's lost on his weekend jaunt.

We work in tough conditions and get the job done, most pilots wouldn't be able to hack it here since they are used to getting everything spoon fed to them. This is real flying like it was in the Golden years (ok we now have GPS which have made our lives so much easier).

Africa is still the wild frontier, but you want to tell me some UN agency is going to have any effect on flights in places in the Congo when the UN armed forces can't even keep the militias in line.

A lot of countries an operators here are workig towards beter standrds, I've been out here for four years and I've seen all the dodgy things out here, but I've also seen things greatly improving.

There is a drive for better and safer aviation, and the trend is towards safety, so even if Accidents happen, they are happening a lot less now than they used to.

Things can only go up since our lively hood and our lives depend on them we will make that happen and we will be the one's to cause such changes in our industry not some foreign body completly out of touch with local realities.

Gunship
6th Oct 2005, 22:03
Well said SBC :ok:

Since 99 people told me ... this helicopters are unsafe to fly - I will never fly on them ..

Those same helicopters still fly up and down every without an incident (touch wood).

The engineers fly with ... I am sure (except the Egyptian Airline Captain that pushed the stick in the dashboard) - nobody has a death wish.

Things have definately improved (in most countries) in the past few years.

Keep up the good work guys and best of all enjoy Flying ! :ok:

B Sousa
6th Oct 2005, 23:47
Africa is still the wild frontier
I guess that sums it all up. Anything that occurs you can just drop the quote on them.
SBC, I dont question the enviornment, working conditions, weather and lack of Assistance. What I do question is accidents that are so very simliar to other accidents and continue on so as the next one is very similar. Someone is not learning from others demise. Again this is not an isolated thing for "Africa" only. It just happens this thread is in the African Aviation forum.
How the UN got into this discussion I will never know, but If I was out of water in the Namib I dont think I would ask them for help.........They are a big drain on our economy.

7th Oct 2005, 07:29
Luis Schucani, Patricia Eggenberger, Eberhard Gich and Patrick Stafer.

"Africa is still the wild frontier" doesn't really apply here as far as the technical state of the aircraft goes. Judging by those names, all on board were Swiss. Ten to one they would've brought the plane with them from Switzerland. You see lots of little Swiss aircraft in and around the Med.
The weather could've played a big role. The Swiss met office is really good and these folks would've crossed the Alps to get to Africa. But I suppose the Moroccan met office pales in comparison.

B Sousa
8th Oct 2005, 15:02
"Africa is still the wild frontier" doesn't really apply here as far as the technical state of the aircraft goes. Judging by those names, all on board were Swiss. Ten to one they would've brought the plane with them from Switzerland. You see lots of little Swiss aircraft in and around the Med.
How Ironic. For those of you who dont remember. There was a PC-12 that bought the farm near Wilson Nairobi, about 6-7 years ago. Right out of Switzerland.
As I recall it was ground fog/scudd running into a giant rock face at cruise speed.

9th Oct 2005, 16:43
Bert
I said as far as the technical state of the aircraft is concerned. The PC12 was probably in top condition. Cant fault the aircraft if the crew elects to commit CFIT.

B Sousa
9th Oct 2005, 16:58

I agree as to no fault of the aircraft.. Just the irony of the two accidents.