PDA

View Full Version : BLACKPOOL

Ballymoss
4th Oct 2005, 20:44
City Star

To restart the BLK thread, heard that City Star may be looking to broaden their horizons out of the Space Hopper airport. Where and when.....anyone?

Rgds
The Moss:ok:

dada
4th Oct 2005, 21:40
stavanger perhaps ??????????

BPL321
23rd Oct 2005, 11:22
Hope this is in keeping with the new rules. Sorry if not.

Just wondering why FR have suddenly reduced the frequency of the morning Stansted rotation? Appears they are operating the morning service only 3 or 4 times a week.

Also, I am aware that the cafe/bar in the terminal(landside) has applied to open from 4am to midnight. One can only assume the airport will soon go beyond its normal 7am to 9pm opening hours and more new routes are in the pipeline.

rufus.t.firefly
23rd Oct 2005, 15:23
According to local sources on site , the requirement to open the
cafe and terminal earlier is probably to coincide with the expected early morning "mad period" . People will be checking in earlier than 0600 to catch the new flights !! which depart around the 0800 -0900 slot. Tuesday mornings are going to be hectic - winter IT series ... god help them if something goes tech or is
delayed due to weather.

City Star ..... "could" they be looking at operating an Amsterdam service ???? A2B/BNWA wont be operating this route anyway now. The original departure time for the A2B AMS flight was around 0700 was it not ? Hence requiring an 0500 start !

Hope Amsterdam isn't a non starter

Anybody on the inside got any extra info then ???

Blackpool Radar
23rd Oct 2005, 17:48
I've not heard anything about City Star starting BLK-AMS.. JFK are already doing this so not really much point!

The cafe is being given a new look for the terminal reconfiguration, or something like that.

BPL321
25th Oct 2005, 16:11
Will believe it when I see it when A2B start an AMS service. My bet is on Jet2 offering the service in the future.

This is news not rumour:

Alpha One(young lads airline) has announced plans to serve IOM 2xdaily with a J31. Dont know the date yet but believed to be soon after the SOU - IOM flight starts on 7/11/05. Oh, and flights from EDI are to follow aswell(not to/from BLK as I understand it.EDI - ?).

What do we all make of this then? I guess it will be refreshing having a new airline on the route and hope it becomes successful but will Alpha One be able to establish themselves on the route with A2B( or BNWA if you prefer) already on it? Its not a wishlist but I think EuroManx or AerArran would have more luck with it being more competitive with larger a/c.

spanishflea
25th Oct 2005, 16:33
It looks like Alpha1 is working with Euromanx to some extent with this one. Their website links to Euromanx, and their SOU and EDI routes are recently dropped Euromanx routes.

airhumberside
25th Oct 2005, 18:45
Euromannx dropped EDI-IOM quite a while ago after Loganair started the route and focused on IOM-GLA

dada
26th Oct 2005, 06:40
but why have ryanair dropped the odd morning stn flights????????????poor loads???????????

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
26th Oct 2005, 07:36
Short of aircraft maybe

G-I-B

dada
27th Oct 2005, 11:36
if alpha one (what sort of a crap name is that?) last, i'll eat my hat.

Blackpool Radar
27th Oct 2005, 19:20
Alpha one (I agree, crap name.. sounds like a kid thought of it), is not likely to last very long. Taking on the IOM route? What's the point, you have two other airlines of a similar size doing the same thing and they don't have many pax at all. BNWA sometimes have no pax at all!

garethjk22
28th Oct 2005, 10:07
To clarify a few points on this thread.

Ryanair. Have NOT dropped the morning Stansted flight. The Boeing strike meant the airline was short of aircraft and a number of short sector flights (from many airports not just BLK) were cancelled as a temporary measure. the flights are now returning to normal.,

IOM. A2B and BNWA are the same airline. The loads are poor for a variety of reasons, but uncompetive pricing does not help. A new airline with a good pricing and reliable service should do well on what is historically avery good route for both BLK and IOM. Indeed, BNWA could do very well on this route, if the aircaft type, times and prices were attractive.

nick b
28th Oct 2005, 12:24
Just wondering if anyone knows whether any new Winter I.T flights are in the pipeline for 06/07 or is it to be only Tenerife & Alicante yet again.
Also does anyone know if & when LS are going to announce more routes as there are a number of gaps in the programme of the based aircraft at present.
Agree with bpl321 that I would love to see an established carrier like RE take over the IOM route from the joke outfit (BNWA/A2B)

Regards

BPL321
14th Nov 2005, 19:29
News today is Jet2 are to base a 2nd B737 at BLK from next summer. This will allow the company to expand its network out of BLK further with the intention of serving 'city break' destinations. I believe Munich, Turin and Paris have been mentioned.

Richard Taylor
27th Nov 2005, 18:27
ABZ-BLK being dropped by City Star for midwinter. No flights between 25/12 & 25/3/06.

Also some planned cancellations leading up to the above dates.

Still shown as a destination, so not totally axed as yet.

dada
27th Nov 2005, 21:34
they wont be back - a nostarter that route if ever there was one

GBALU53
28th Nov 2005, 10:39
Will the Sunday flight in this comming year 2006 be operarted again buy they old and faithful BACX dash 8???

With Jet2 having a second B737 at Blk is there any chance they may try operating to Jersey??

When you look at the north of England the Channel Island do not have a great deal of desternations.

With Jet2 being a low cost operator is there not a market for three or four flights a week for the short stay people, similar operation that BMI Bay operate from Middleton St George or for the yong members Durham Tees Valley.

dada
28th Nov 2005, 18:25
jer - i'd use that - come on jet2 do jer plse!

nick b
8th Dec 2005, 16:47
Does anyone have any idea as to when the new routes for the 2nd based LS aircraft are to be announced. The 2nd aircraft was announced a few weeks ago, many airlines summer 06 flights are now going on sale and Iam waiting for this announce from LS before I decide where to go to for a city break in April/May next year.

Any idea anyone?

P.S. Any new FR routes ex BLK in the pipeline

BPL321
8th Dec 2005, 17:30
In addition to the above questions can anyone tell me whats happening with the Monarch Malaga flights? From another website it seems on several occasions the inbound from Malaga has come from BHX and it also appears the other day it didnt fly back to Malaga(nightstop???) and the following day there was no mention of a service at all. Would be interested to know if this is a fault with the a/c or an issue of lack of pax - surely it cant be the latter as flights were said to be pretty full.

Wonkavater
9th Dec 2005, 15:18
Don't quote me, but I've been told it may have something to do with issues between Monarch and Newquay airport. Can anyone elaborate further?

nick b
12th Dec 2005, 15:14
Monarch flights to Malaga are operating 4 x weekly for summer 06 on Mon, Wed, Fri & Sun arr BLK 20:20 dep BLK 21:20.
Also it seems the evening Ryanair service to Stansted has been dropped with only the morning service operating 6 x weekly, no STN flight at all on Sun.
I thought these flights were always pretty much full, certainly the flights that I have seen/travelled on. Yields must have been poor.
Very dissapointing, many business pax will be lost as a day return is obviously now no longer possible.
Dublin & Gerona flights not yet on sale, hope they are still operating!

Regards

LTNman
13th Dec 2005, 19:39
I travelled up to Blackpool on Saturday from Stansted. No one was allowed to occupy the first 6 rows (36 seats). The remaining seating was around half to 2/3rds full. I monitored the seat price after I booked my seat which was around 2 months ago. The price started at 1p plus £10 charges and taxes. Around 3 weeks before departure the fare was 1p plus £15 charges and taxes. With two weeks to go the price dropped to 1p plus £5 charges and taxes. Only in the last week did the price increase to around £35. Can’t see the airline making any money on that flight.

dada
13th Dec 2005, 21:17
the fact the eve flt is up against the closure wont help either

Golf Charlie Charlie
13th Dec 2005, 22:50
LTNman or anyone, why do the charges and taxes change ? I know that understanding taxes and charges makes rocket science look simple, but really - this looks blatantly inconsistent......

dada
13th Dec 2005, 23:00
the charges dont change but i think the carriers change what they charge the punter as initially these are paid to the carrier who in turn pays the respective airport charges.

LTNman
14th Dec 2005, 05:31
It’s all a big con, Ryanair vary taxes and charges as a way to keep the headline price at 1p while increasing or decreasing revenue. I paid £10.39 for my flight including a debit card handling charge and £16 for the return rail journey. When I booked the trip the cheapest single rail ticket to Blackpool was £45 even though I could book the trip back for £16.

This was the first time I had used this service even though I go to Blackpool around 4 times a year. While the flight was only 40 minutes it was a 4am start from my home in Luton to get to Stansted allowing enough time to check in without panicking about check-in closing before I got there.

Got to say that the train remains my first choice even though I have to get a lift to Watford or Milton Keynes as I can leave home at a reasonable hour.

nick b
14th Dec 2005, 15:06
I think possibly Flybe along the lines of a 2 x daily Q400 into LGW or VLM with a F50 into LCY would be the ideal operators to take over London flights ex BLK as I seriously do not see the FR STN service lasting beyond next Summer at 1x daily due to the reasons I stated in my previous post. I think a 738 with 189 seats is too large an a/c to operate profitably on a London service ex BLK, whereas I certainly think a Q400 or an F50 with 70 & 50 seats respectively would be.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

Regards

nick b
15th Dec 2005, 16:37
FR are now operating the evening STN service after all, 6x weekly except Sun as before. It just seems strange that they were only selling the morning flights earlier on in the week.
Also, the morning flight is to operate on Sun next summer.

Regards

rufus.t.firefly
15th Dec 2005, 19:13
Glad to see those Stansted flights are still on.

What about BPL - ABZ , isn't that being canned or reduced anytime now , will that be back next year ?

If Monarch are reducing to only 4 flights per week , thats some
reduction isn't it from the current number of flights ?

A local source has noted that it appears to be chaos in the Terminal at the moment due to refurbishment work , why oh why
do they not have the builders in during the night ? Okay it might cost more but at least you dont get dust all over your passengers or their highly priced sandwiches from the Cafe , and if it still gets finished on time whats the problem ??

Wonkavater
17th Dec 2005, 09:36
See post 'Monarch Schedules Summer 06' on this forum

dada
21st Dec 2005, 00:48
hurd today about vlm possibly doing blk-lcy.any offers

BPL321
21st Dec 2005, 15:50
VLM to LCY awell as FR to STN?? Could BLK sutstain both routes?

Not complaining mind you!

LBIA
22nd Dec 2005, 13:07
Hi

Jet2 have announced there 4th destination from it's Blackpool Airport base as an early christmas Present.

From April 2006 the airline will commence a Twice weekly Blackpool - Alicante service. Flights will operate on Mondays and Fridays. The Airline has just uploaded the flights into their website. Prices start from as low as £29 in May 2006. Well thats whats on the Low Fare Finder

Timetable is as follows:

Blackpool - Alicante
11:30 - 15:20 LS739 1---5--
Alicante - Blackpool
16:05 - 18:00 LS740 1---5--

dada
25th Dec 2005, 09:58
this has really made my xmas! - wonder where the other destinations might be - i wish they'd do reus..............

LBIA
6th Jan 2006, 19:22
Hi

Blackpool has today been given an New Years present by Jet2.com

As from the Winter 2006/07 season they will launch their 5th route from Blackpool Airport to Tenerife. Flights will be operating 2 times weekly. Looks by the timeings that the new Leeds based Boeing 757-200's will be w-legging these new flights as it leaves Tenerife in the morning inbound to Blackpool and then returns to Tenerife in the afternoon.

Though this may change as the actul times are not listed as yet.

SM82
6th Jan 2006, 20:03
Looks like a new holiday hotspot for dada then! :p

airhumberside
6th Jan 2006, 20:14
Wonder if the TFS charter will be withdrawn? There cant be that much demand from BLK to TFS?

Going loco
6th Jan 2006, 20:52
Your kidding aren't you Airhumberside? Log onto the CAA and check out how many passengers are on MAN-TFS every year. Its 1 million - e.g. twice as many passengers as use HUY in total.

Do you seriously think they all come from Manchester?

loco

airhumberside
6th Jan 2006, 21:24
But they don't all come from Blackpool, Preston or Lancaster do they?

How much of a profile does BLK have in the local area? Does everyone automaticaly think of MAN and LPL when booking a flight and intensive marketing is needed to attarct passengers or does BLK have a strong local profile?

garethjk22
6th Jan 2006, 23:09
BLK's catchment area is actually very strong.
Youhave the Fyle Coast, preston Lancaster, east lancashire and of course Cumbria. In total, Blackpool is the closest and most convenient airport to over 3 million people. The total 1 hour drive is nearly six million.

With lancashire and cumbria BLK has a very high profile, it could be better in places and marketing will always be needed, but the awareness of the airport is building fast and will continue over the coming months.

Congratulations to BLK and Jet2, is that now 11 scheduled destinations from BLK?

rufus.t.firefly
7th Jan 2006, 10:32
Glad to see that BLK has got another scheduled route to the sun , will this be to the detriment of the existing Tenerife charter (Air Europa) , only operates during Nov - April I think.

Will City Star be back , last flight yesterday I've heard .

Now all it needs is some European City destinations .......

Any chance of that happening soon ????:ok:

airhumberside
7th Jan 2006, 11:40
Aren't Jet 2 basing two aircraft? They dont seem to have enough work for 2 aircraft yet, so more routes could be to come

Jamesair
10th Jan 2006, 10:10
Yesterday JET 2 announced a new route from Blackpool to Tenerife...to operate twice weekly Mon and Fri from Winter 06/07

Wonkavater
12th Jan 2006, 17:39
Blackpool's Vulcan bomber is no more. It's been ground into tiny pieces by JCB. A sad end for a part of the UKs Jet heritage. :(

Buster the Bear
12th Jan 2006, 18:21
:{ I thought that the Vulcan had been bought by a pub owner for display in his garden, I guess it will become a big jigsaw puzzle for the kids!

LTNman
12th Jan 2006, 18:40
The Vulcan was riddled with rust although in the days when you could stand underneath it the aircraft made a good shelter from the rain.

Wonkavater
19th Jan 2006, 21:51
Apparently the hangar behind the spot where the Vulcan used to reside is to become a multi-storey car park! It just keeps getting worse. Nostalgia certainly ain't what it used to be.:(

nick b
23rd Jan 2006, 16:43
Does anyone have any idea as to when/if JET 2 are going to announce these much rumoured "citybreak" destinations ex BLK, as given it is not far off the end of Jan surely they would have lost out on any potential pax if they were to launch the flights for Summer 06 as people would already booked on other flights from MAN or LPL by now.

Also what is happening with the Monarch Malaga flights as it seems that the flights now depart BLK at either 07:30 or 08:00 depending on the day and the return flights now arrive at BLK at either 17:15 or 21:55. Does this mean the a/c is now postioning in from another UK base as I thought the a/c was Malaga based.
Any idea anyone?

Regards

nick b
6th Feb 2006, 15:55
Does anyone know why the ZB AGP flights are operating via NQY on Tue, Thur & Sun, has this got something to do with issues between ZB & NQY as they are not operating NQY - AGP this summer?
Also, expect an annoucement from LS sometime this month regarding more new summer 06 routes ex BLK

Watch this space!

Regards

MAN777
6th Feb 2006, 19:08
I think Blackpool has a huge potential to attract overseas visitors to its attractions using loco flights, its not quite Las Vegas but it is still the biggest tourist destination in the UK and there is no shortage of beds. !

VHF FLYER
6th Feb 2006, 20:50
Blackpool has a huge potential to attract overseas visitors to its attractions

:} :mad: Sorry but you cannot be serious. The place is the pits. The numbers that make it so 'popular' are lagerheads and scallies from the industrial towns of Scotland, the North and Midlands.
The Blackpool air market is outbound only ie helping the local middle classes to escape from said scallies.

Wonkavater
22nd Feb 2006, 14:41
According to the Monarch web site, they are to axe the Newquay Malaga service from the end of April. Not sure if this is good or bad news for Blackpool. Optimistically this could mean a new route ex Blackpool. More likely the begining of the end for Monarch's presence at Blackpool. Anyone got any idea of the loads so far?

Wonkavater
22nd Feb 2006, 16:13
Looking at the forward timetable on the Monarch web site, it would appear there are no more Malaga flights ex Blackpool after 27 Oct. Most ominous.......

Lee@LPL
22nd Feb 2006, 16:20
Agreed Blackpool is the pits and is possibly stealing traffic from my beloved LPL

garethjk22
23rd Feb 2006, 11:04
I often try and ignore what is said on these forums, however, I feel I need to clairfy a few points.

1. BLK is not stealing traffic from Liverpool. it is simply offering people from the catchment around BLK a more convenient and appealing alternative, and taking back what is rightly BLK traffic. I do remember LPL using the same argument, so I see no room for complaint!

2. BLK is solely outbound. O dear, how wrong, the MAJORITY of passengers on the Irish routes and a VERY HIGH percentage of the domestic market are inbound to Blackpool, Blackpool is not full of larger louts, but offers a wide varied option for the inbound tourist visitor. I accept some people are jealous of Blackpools ongoing status as the premier resort in the UK, but 13m people cant be wrong. Blackpool is changing and evolving, it has problems (but so do Manchester and Liverpool), but Blackpool is, and always will be the nations playground.

rufus.t.firefly
23rd Feb 2006, 12:21
Could it be that Monarch may not have firmed up on Blackpool-Malaga
timetable after 0ct 2006 , or may be they will opt for a different destination.

Anybody know if the previously mentioned City Break destinations are scheduled to be announced , any word on Amsterdam ? Has Aberdeen been
canned for good ?

Maybe someone at the airport can elaborate ...................

Wonkavater
23rd Feb 2006, 15:21
I certainly hope so. it would be a loss for the airport if they decided to pull out of Blackpool, as they have with Newquay. The airport could certainly do with serving some destinations other than Spain. I'm eagerly awaiting any kind of announcement about Amsterdam too. Can anyone oblige?

silverhawk
23rd Feb 2006, 18:35
future is bright, future is Jet2 ..

Wonkavater
11th Mar 2006, 08:54
Not so sure the future's jet 2 now. They brought a 757 in for the grand re-opening of the terminal on Thursday, and rumour has it, the head training captain, who I assume flew it in, was somewhat less than impressed with the facilities at Blackpool. Oops!

nick b
11th Mar 2006, 10:28
Perhaps the head training pilot was less than impressed with the taxiway at the western end of the airfield. I was once speaking to a BY pilot on a flight deck visit (pre 9/11) & I asked him what he thought about flying 75's into BLK. He stated that the western end taxiway was too narrow for 75's but everything else about the airport was fine, a different Captain on the return sector a week later raised exactly the same point.
With regards to Jet 2 are they still to base 2 73's at BLK this summer or are they now only basing one a/c? The reason for asking is that I am still keenly awaiting an annoucement from Jet 2 regarding these much talked about routes to 'citybreak' destinations. I believed AMS & CDG were mentioned, does anyone out there from either BLK or Jet2 know whether these are going to be announced soon or has this been put back until winter 06/07? I am looking at going to Paris round about the end of May, have been holding out from booking a flight from MAN or LPL in the hope of Jet2 announcing a CDG route. Any offers?

Thanks in advance

pol1wx
11th Mar 2006, 17:50
Not so sure the future's jet 2 now. They brought a 757 in for the grand re-opening of the terminal on Thursday, and rumour has it, the head training captain, who I assume flew it in, was somewhat less than impressed with the facilities at Blackpool. Oops!

Not true! I've spoken to the crew that took the Aircraft in and they say nothing of the sort. Infact I think they really liked it. And as for the Jet2 bosses that were there, well they think that Blackpool have done a 'Great Job with everything'. And that's from the horses mouth.:ok:

p.s The Jet2 head of training fly's the 737 and not the 757 just yet.;)

The Flying Scotsman
11th Mar 2006, 18:18
Pol1wx,

You beat me to it.

We took the 757 over to Blackpool.

We joined the senior management from jet2 and the good people of Blackpool involved with the new terminal and witnessed the opening by Bill Beaumont.

Some pictures were taken and some Champers drank (not by us !)

Then we went back to Leeds. A good day out all around ! :ok:

Cheers, Scottie.

P.S. I’m involved with the 757 training but I’ve never been “the head” of anything. :)

Wonkavater
11th Mar 2006, 23:23
That is good news. I'm glad to have been proved wrong. Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by my duff info. It's good to get the facts from the horses mouth, as it were! :ok:

Pain in the R's
12th Mar 2006, 06:03
One of issues I have with Blackpool Airport is the lack of public transport when it is surrounded by public transport links. Why can’t busses stop outside the terminal instead of outside the airport boundary? Only a mile away there is a major coach station for National Express yet no coaches stop at the airport. Also on the boundary of the airport there is a railway station yet it might as well be 5 miles away for anyone with luggage.

Yak97
28th Mar 2006, 15:09
I note that the CAA has published a request by BNWA to lease a Hungarian LET410 from 27/03 to 14/04.

a. Has it arrived?
b. Why a LET410 all the way from Hungary? Surely there are some J31/EMB110 around closer or is this something more long term? I know Rockhopper applied for a lease but dropped the idea and went J31?

dsendnow
29th Mar 2006, 11:55
CANNOT FIND THIS ON THE OFFICIAL RECORD PUBLISHED BY THE CAA ??

Yak97
29th Mar 2006, 12:41
Published Tuesday in Official Record (OF) 2 No. 1740. Can be found on the CAA website, under Consumer Protection Group, Airline Licensing, Legislation & publications, Licensing Notices. Displayed in PDF format.

dsendnow
29th Mar 2006, 19:34
WHY HIRE A LET 410 FROM HUNGARY WHEN THERE ARE ENGLISH CARRIERS AVAILABLE TO DO THE WORK.
:confused:

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
29th Mar 2006, 21:37
Why the shouting?

G-I-B

dsendnow
30th Mar 2006, 15:07
Sorry mate I am deaf in one finger

:)

factanonverba
6th Apr 2006, 11:03
Mon ZB have just released winter details, A321 3 times a week to AGP.

LBIA
6th Apr 2006, 11:25
Hi

Jet2 have started releaseing there summer 2007 programme from Blackpool Airport.

Flights to Palma and Alicante to both go once daily and Murcia to go up to 4 times weekly by the looks of things with an Monday and Friday service added. So i'm guessing Jet2's Blackpool base will need a second based machine by next summer.

tilewood
9th Apr 2006, 12:14
Silverhawk:

Your response does little to help in an industry where competition is high,
and pax can vote with their feet.

I am sure there are plenty of others who feel the same as trollyedolly,
and if enough give BLK a wide berth your dismissive approach will
be of little comfort to airport staff who find their jobs disappearing.

Now had you said, yes there are faults but the handling agents and
airport are aware and seeking to improve the situation, then perhaps
trolleydolly and others would be prepared to give BLK another try!!

rufus.t.firefly
9th Apr 2006, 15:11
I have used Blackpool on a number of occassions for the convenience of
flying from a local airport , saving wasted travel time to Manchester.

Whilst I enjoy using the "local facility" , I find that the personnel on site appear to be at a loss at times to be able to deal with the travelling public
in the manner and with the attitude that the traveller expects.

I would suggest this is part of the "learning curve" for the Blackpool operation , it is no longer a "sleepy hollow" , it is attempting to operate as
a "real" airport , the transition will take some time.

Just to encounter the chaotic state of affairs with regard to parking and driving through the one way traffic system when two jets are in at once is
comical. The "arrivals tent" serves its purpose but please put some heating in it guys - it's warmer on the ramp at 21.00 at night and those baggage handling techniques are practically brutal when pax stand in arrivals watching their precious suitcases heading for the conveyor belt !!

Anyway stick with it and they'll probably get there in the end !:ok: :ok:

Wonkavater
9th Apr 2006, 21:52
Wise words Rufus. The arrival of Jet2 and Monarch have created challenges across the board for the airport. We're doing the best we can and striving to be better. All who work at the airport realise we have quite a way to go, and hope that our customers will stick by us in the future.

silverhawk
10th Apr 2006, 00:06
I suspect td737 was positioning aircrew who has had her/his expenses cut due to proximity of BLK. Read the post from him/her again and tell me she/he/it is not insulting in the extreme.

trolleydolly737
10th Apr 2006, 04:09
No, Silverhawk, not insulting... just saying how I saw it... and believe me I'll be giving BLK a very wide birth!

PPP: It was insulting! But now removed. If you want to say how it is words are easy to find - if you look.

tilewood
10th Apr 2006, 06:57
Silverhawk: Are you Blackpool's business development manager?!! :rolleyes:

Johnny F@rt Pants
10th Apr 2006, 08:24
Silverhawk: Are you Blackpool's business development manager?!! :rolleyes:

You'd think so if you'd been working with him for as long as I have:} . It'll keep him away from Manch for the summer though, so we can get some rest from the positive spin BLK gets.

See you soon old Silvery one.

JFP

PPRuNe Pop
10th Apr 2006, 08:44
No prizes for insults snide remarks and abuse on PPRuNe - so please do keep to the script.

PPP

trolleydolly737
10th Apr 2006, 17:44
Silverhawk, despite what you may think I wasn't positioning crew, I was using the airport by my own choice... and as was also said in another post... I will be voting with my feet... MAN seems a much more attractive choice!

I found BLK to be a very unproffessionally run airport, the staff too, I felt, were not capable of doing their jobs properly. No computers at check-in, hand written pax lists and boarding cards, no knowledge of the check -in procedure and staff asking for a ticket on a ticketless airline, therefore I feel having no knowledge of the airline that they were handling!

Security was staffed by people, in my opinion with no people skills and little knowledge of air travel... I do not need a passport for a domestic flight, despite what the staff think!

The airport needs a lot of upgrading to lose the "shack" feeling and its staff need a lot of training and educating to get anywhere near the treatment that the travelling public expects!

Improve or lose out BLK, but then again that's just my humble opinion and I one I believe I am entitled to!

silverhawk
10th Apr 2006, 18:47
Of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Believe it or not I actually agree with some of what you said. BLK has been stuck in a time warp for a long time. That is over. Due to new ownership and future plans . However nothing happens instantaneously.

It has a short runway, small terminal and a huge catchment area. Only investment and longterm commitment will fix all that.

I hope your next experience from/to BLK is more to your liking and I look forward to greeting you.

Wonkavater
11th Apr 2006, 12:39
Agreed. The shortcommings pointed out by td737 will take quite some time to rectify and a considerable amount of investment long term. I'm sure if you look at the development history of other regional airports, which are now prospering, you'll find a similar story to BLK from their early days.

Skypartners
11th Apr 2006, 14:19
Anyone who has been through Blackpool since the terminal refurbishment finished (i.e late February 06 onwards) would struggle to see it as a 'shack' The departure lounge seats 800, there are 14 brand new checkins, a new baggage handling system, new shops and restaurants. Further facilities are under construction for launch in the summer. True there is no McDonalds or Starbucks because the pax numbers dont justify coughing up a hundred grand to buy a franchise. The whole point is - people come to an airport to catch a plane - they get here, park by the door, check in, buy a beer and a paper and maybe some smellies and go away on holiday. Large airports are just shopping malls with a runway attached. BLK and the like are about catching planes! It's clean, well run and, on the whole, efficient. Sure there are growing pains but they will ease.

silverhawk
11th Apr 2006, 14:28
Skypartners is spot on.

nick b
11th Apr 2006, 16:20
It appears that the weekly Air Europa winter charter to Tenerife on Tuesday's has been pulled for Winter 06/07. The twice weekly Jet2 service starting in October must have had a big impact on the charter sales.

Regards

Pontious
11th Apr 2006, 17:00
Silverhair,er.. sorry.. SilverHawk, well said on your points about Blackpool- I think there's quite a few of us that are looking forward to the forthcoming development of Squires Gate and the riches,benefits and convenience that it will entail.
When do you and your mob start basing their 'light twins' there?
P.S. How was your head after our night out?
:ok:

pamann
11th Apr 2006, 17:56
Jo Whiley International Airport! Fabulous!!! :D :D :D :D :D

silverhawk
11th Apr 2006, 18:03
I was fine thanks. Usual 10k before muesli followed by gymwork out. Honest.

Light twins started on Thursday. Did I mention the 100% on time departure record?

How about Charlie Carolli International Airport?

Pontious
11th Apr 2006, 23:41
Or Les Dawson International? Norman Barratt JetPort? The possibilities are endless!!!!!!!
Silver'- 10K's? Wimp! Try 'a 4 mile run workout' staddled by a 75Kg deadload before & then a repeat performance after, breakfast!!!!! I needed multiple showers after that and a mid-morning nap!
Any news on your long overdue extention...rwy 10/28 that is?
:ok:

tilewood
12th Apr 2006, 06:50
' Landlady International.'

All aircraft must be back by 10pm when the terminal
doors will be locked!! :p

Ametyst
12th Apr 2006, 07:36
Although I love flying from Liverpool and want it to expand even further. I also wish Blackpool all the best. It deserves to grow!!!

I think trolleydolly737's comments are a bit harsh. I have done a lot of domestic travel from Liverpool, Manchester, Gatwick, Belfast and Heathrow and easyJet, FlyBe, Ryanair, BA et al have all required photo i.d to travel (e.g. passport) on domestic flights and I have also had the passport inspected at all these airports by check-in, security and at the gate prior to boarding. No problem, makes flying safer!

mysecretsmile
12th Apr 2006, 09:56
I'am loving the way that Blackpool International are milking the whole
Jo Whiley renaming story. It's great publicity for the airport to the 8 or 9 million people who listen to Radio 1 in the mornings. Fair play to the commerical team for getting so involved.

Allthough council owned Torquay Airport seem to be getting in on the act and give them a run for their money to be renamed
"Jo Whiley airport"

Wonkavater
12th Apr 2006, 19:31
Tried to find out more about this on the radio one website, to no avail. Is it a wind up or for real?

phil_2405
12th Apr 2006, 19:54
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/?djs_rhn

silverhawk
12th Apr 2006, 22:36
Of course it's a wind up

WOWBOY
12th Apr 2006, 23:02
OMG now Newquay :\

This is one joke gone to far!!!!

SASfox
13th Apr 2006, 09:28
Jet2 to start AMS from end October 5 times a week and FAO 3 times a week.

rufus.t.firefly
13th Apr 2006, 09:40
:ok: :ok: :ok: Well done Blackpool ....look forward to some more City destinations....
hope it's a success
:ok: :ok:

garethjk22
13th Apr 2006, 10:03
The Jet2 news is great news! Well done BLK and Jet2

The Jo Whiley thing was hilarious, check the airport website www.blackpoolinternational.com - the results are on there!!!

Keyvon
16th Apr 2006, 16:45
seems like the bourgas charter by BH air has been pulled for the upcoming summer season.. aren't charter flights welcome in BLK ?

GW76
16th Apr 2006, 19:27
aren't charter flights welcome in BLK ?
Only when they think they can fill them;)

JamesBG
17th Apr 2006, 19:01
Hi, I am hoping to fly into Blackpool Airport tomorrow for a day out and have heard rumours that there is a way of getting cheap or half price landing fees, someone told me there was a voucher in a mag such as 'flyer' but I cant find anything, also someone said something about a phone number you had to ring?! If anyone knows anything could you leave me a post,

Thanks James :ok:

dada
17th Apr 2006, 19:12
WHEN IS THE AIRPORT RWY EXTENSION STARTING ?

Wonkavater
18th Apr 2006, 09:08
Don't think its happening any more. When Ryanair first started operating out of BLK, one of the conditions was that the runway was extended to about 2000m in readyness for them upgrading to 737-800s. Since then it's been decided that the existing runway length is sufficient. It'd be interesting to know what the pilot point of view is on this. Any RYR, EXS or MON pilots care to oblige?

silverhawk
18th Apr 2006, 12:00
Runway is just fine as it is for a 757. With a full 737 range is limited by runway length to about 3 1/2 hours en route.

Longer runway would make Greece and Canaries available

nick b
18th Apr 2006, 15:17
I was speaking to a senior figure at the airport back in January. He said any rwy extension IF it was to happen would occur after the decision was made as to whether or not to grant Blackpool super casino status & in any case would not occur until 2008 at the earliest. The length mentioned was 3200m with Queensway being diverted around the new extension. Does BLK need an extension of this size? With all the will in the world I cannot see the likes of CO, DL etc being interested in serving BLK.
I would be happy to be proved wrong though!

Excellent news about AMS & FAO btw.

Buster the Bear
18th Apr 2006, 19:08
http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=63&ArticleID=1449485

OltonPete
18th Apr 2006, 19:45
Great article but I obviously missed the news of day: -

Monarch's withdrawal from BHX :hmm:

Nothing like accurate press articles and this certainly wasn't one of them.

Good on Blackpool and hopefully more come their way - that is new routes and not inaccurate press articles :)

OltonPete

Wonkavater
20th Apr 2006, 22:07
The pilot of one of Jet2s morning inbounds must have been a brave man, flying an aircraft with Yorkshire plastered on the side into the middle of Lancashire!:D :D

Rudder Pedals
21st Apr 2006, 00:20
Wonkavater

It's not the first time she's been over this side of the Pennines, she did abit for us at Manchester a couple of months ago.

silverhawk
21st Apr 2006, 05:32
It was just an empty position to cover scheduled maintenance. The permament aircraft should be back this morning.

Hope it says 'Royal Lytham'

Jet2Leeds
8th May 2006, 18:18
Hi All,

Considering, J2 Call B'pool there new Northwest base and the close proximity to Manch
Presumably BLK is a cheaper,easier to operate out of ???

Would It make Financial Sense to Move All ops to Blk from Ringway

pwalhx
8th May 2006, 18:51
If they did Jet2 I am sure they would have done it, as they avent as yet maybe they dont feel its appropriate

dada
10th May 2006, 17:05
not a right lot of apron space and terminal capacity left. with hindsight, the airport shot themselves in the foot a few years ago selling off a load of land for morrisons/business park(to get some cash cos they couldn't make any operating as an airport). now things are on the up, the terminal/apron space is jammed up in one corner of the airfield with little room to expand. ideally, they could do with building a new terminal and apron space in another part of the airfield, but no real land left (apart from east of the queensway for those who know the area) - there's an idea - build a link taxiway east and develop that land!

682ft AMSL
15th May 2006, 12:33
Jet2 Blackpool - Malaga on sale now for S07. 5 weekly.

nick b
15th May 2006, 15:28
I assume that this will mean the end of ZB @ BLK after next winter. Any chance of LS launching more city break destinations besides AMS?

Wonkavater
15th May 2006, 19:17
Strange that there's been no mention of this new route on the Blackpool airport website. Anything new that Jet2 do is usually announced with much fanfare. I'll be watching the progress of Manx2 with some interest. So will BNW no doubt............

LTNman
24th May 2006, 15:06
I see that Blackpool Airport is to get its first bus service from the terminal. Despite the towns year round winter micro climate apparently the bus will have no roof, yes I kid you not. :eek: The trip along the prom will give passengers ample opportunities to count the dog, horse and donkey turds that litter Blackpool's Golden Mile.:yuk: For those with good eyesight turtle spotting is another option thanks to Blackpool’s sewerage system that dumps people dumps into the sea.

airhumberside
24th May 2006, 20:33
I think the bus service though doesnt run in winter. Better than nothing but I dont think a seasonal open top bus service is the best way to provide a quality bus link, that will encourage people not use their cars, from the airport to the town centre and other parts of the local area

Niaga Dessip
24th May 2006, 21:20
It seems LTNman doesn't like Blackpool, fair enough. But... as they say, why let facts get in the way of a good yarn?

FACT: Open top beses will run on the route "weather permitting."

FACT: Floaters are largely a thing of the past as for some years now Blackpool's sewage has been processes at a modern plant in Fleetwood.

Cheers:ok:

ND

LTNman
24th May 2006, 22:16
FACT: Open top buses will run on the route "weather permitting."

So only 2 or 3 times a year then?

It seems LTNman doesn't like Blackpool, fair enough.

I have been coming to Blackpool every year for the last 30 years to see relations. I am now coming up 3 or 4 times a year. :yuk:

FACT: Floaters are largely a thing of the past as for some years now Blackpool's sewage has been processes at a modern plant in Fleetwood.

Of coarse that doesn't apply to the Donkey turds on the beach:yuk:

Ametyst
24th May 2006, 22:30
I am amazed that anyone from Luton can rubbish any other town. Luton is hardly a gem!

As I See It
25th May 2006, 01:16
Of coarse that doesn't apply to the Donkey turds on the beach

What a simple jaundiced view of the utmost naivety:mad:

LTNman
25th May 2006, 04:57
. Luton is hardly a gem!

Can’t disagree with you there but the towns airport is nice. Can someone tell me since Blackpool Airport got its refurbishment whether the grey breezeblock walls have been plastered yet? The terminal always looked unfinished to me.:ugh:

silverhawk
25th May 2006, 05:52
I wonder if your relatives have considered moving to Luton to save you the inconvenience. I would suspect not. Do you actually fly from Blackpool?

The new owners are doing a great job of putting right the years of neglect by the local council. Infrastructure, runway,taxiway,apron etc, are far more important than cosmetics on internal walls in the terminal.

Let's talk about the road links to Luton airport. Try driving south on the M1 to arrive at LTN for 0900. Pure chaos, at least it is consistent.

LTNman
25th May 2006, 06:06
silverhawk

My aged parents moved to Blackpool on their retirement so that my mother could live close to her sister who then moved away to be close to her daughter. Oh why oh why could they not have retired to Bournemouth.
Yes I have flown from Blackpool. It was on a BIA Herald to the IOM and more recently Ryanair from Stansted
As for road links can’t argue your point as the M1 is a nightmare but hopefully it will get better once the extra lane is finished. The plain fact is that Luton Airport is so popular that everyone wants to live close the place unless you live under the flight path.:cool:

shamrock7seal
25th May 2006, 08:47
LTNman, I like your style - I laughed out loud on reading your comment about the turd sight-seeing bus service. Pitty people can't laugh with you - instead of taking life sooooo seriously.

IB4138
28th May 2006, 08:24
The bus service is an extention of Line 1 which previouly ran between Pontins (from where it has been extended) and Cleveleys. It is operated using City Sightseeing open toppers, shared with "The Blackpool Tour" service and not in normal circumstances by Blackpool Transport's own vehicles.

All five City Sightseeing vehicles at Blackpool are open top.

BombardierCR7
31st May 2006, 11:23
4x weekly Prague announced by Jet2 from 29th Oct

rufus.t.firefly
31st May 2006, 13:03
Well done Blackpool :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :D :D :D

Me thinks a drastic re think of the existing airport layout/facilities is needed at this rate to cope with all this extra traffic, surely it can't cope can it ??:)

nclairportfan
31st May 2006, 13:51
Good news about PRG!

I wonder if a small airline such as BNWA would consider other regional services from BLK i.e. Edinburgh, Glasgow, Gatwick. I'm sure there must be a market for these flights.

dada
31st May 2006, 17:35
A small AIRLINE!..............
outfit more like

Wonkavater
2nd Jun 2006, 12:36
According to the BLK website a WHSmith will be opening in the terminal in July.:ok: Good news, although I didn't think that BLK had the minimum number of pax to attract high street retailers.

garethjk22
2nd Jun 2006, 13:40
With 3 based Jet2 aircraft in summer 2006 and the Ryanair and Monarch services, the airport will handle around 1 million passengers in 2007, which is more than enough for WHSmith, who also operate at the likes of Teesside and Bournemouth.

rufus.t.firefly
2nd Jun 2006, 18:20
Further to my previous thread, just found in the "publications" section of
Blackpool Airport website a detail of the "master plan".

Any comments or inside info available ? good , bad , or pie in the sky ?

Talk about deja vu

phil2
14th Jun 2006, 18:29
i am near blackpool and just wondered is there anymore planned routes?
how well are the flights doing?

do you know were i can find out how full flights are?
i also thought BLK was lacking in number of pax on BLK-AGP well if you look on monarch and say type in departing 30th june returning 12th july it has
only 3 seats left
only 6 seats left so it cant be doing bad?

peakp
14th Jun 2006, 23:23
Phil2

I think when Monarch says 3 seats left at £30. It means when the 3 seats are sold the price will increase on the remaining seats,and not that the a/c is full.
regards

peakp

phil2
15th Jun 2006, 15:03
oh ok
any more answers?

take-off
19th Jun 2006, 10:06
With 3 based Jet2 aircraft in summer 2006 and the Ryanair and Monarch services, the airport will handle around 1 million passengers in 2007, which is more than enough for WHSmith, who also operate at the likes of Teesside and Bournemouth.

just been on thomson website looking for tenerife this winter and its not showing any flights from blackpool same for first choice and airtours. does this mean no charter from blackpool anymore..? mark (newbie to this forum):)

euroman
19th Jun 2006, 13:13
I hear that Pool Aviation has shut up shop and bits are up for sale, another small operator to bite the dust, who will be next BNWA?.

Sad to see these companies go, what with Emerald going last month.

silverhawk
19th Jun 2006, 13:23
A shame.

Any idea what bits are up for sale?

BNWA no. Next to go will be Manx2, wrong place to base an outfit on an island.

airhumberside
19th Jun 2006, 14:38
just been on thomson website looking for tenerife this winter and its not showing any flights from blackpool same for first choice and airtours. does this mean no charter from blackpool anymore..? mark (newbie to this forum):)
The airport website lists only Jersey and a series of one-off special departure holidays in its charter section. So no TFS charters any more (of ALC charters for that matter)

euroman
19th Jun 2006, 15:37
Silverhawk, I hear that the hanger and engineering bites are on the market, but this is second hand info, as for Manx2 operation it looks well set up, the web site is good and much better than BNWA's site, this is the shop front when people book, they say they are linking with Jet2 for Blackpool and Leeds flights to europe so on the face of it it looks good as well, but only time will tell and how the Let410 goes down with the Pax and CAA, but having said that Euromanx operated the 1900 for 3 years and the CAA don't like them either.

silverhawk
19th Jun 2006, 16:56
No charters to TFS or ALC, only a regular scheduled service. Is that why some airlines have pulled off some routes?

I'm told there is no tie-up between Manx2 and Jet2, except that Manx2 obviously chose their name to suggest there is a link and have tried to look like a feeder. Any 12 year old can design you a website.

euroman
19th Jun 2006, 17:24
Yes web site can be done by an 11 years old, it's the use of AirKiosk for the res system is not a cheep system to use, so looks like a lot of money has been spent and they mean business.

Only time will tell,

LTNman
19th Jun 2006, 18:21
As I was in Blackpool last weekend I decided to have a look around the new improved Blackpool Airport terminal. Nice tent! I guess there are not too many terminals in the world where the walls shimmer in the breeze!:sad:

I guess it brings a whole new meaning when describing a low cost airport

garethjk22
19th Jun 2006, 19:59
The charter section on the Blackpool Airport website refers to the summer charters, as we are I beleive in the summer season.

Thomson will operate an ALC charter over the winter but the TFS has been dropped.

The new terminal at BLK has I beleive received a lot of positive and very little negative feedback from passengers. The arrivals hall is indeed a temporary structure and so what? You are in for all of what 5 - 10 mins to collect your bags - of course the airport could have spent £1m on the arrivals facility alone, but ultimately who pays for it .... £9.99 to Belfast or a nice shiny new arrivals building, which do you prefer?

airhumberside
19th Jun 2006, 20:53
Good to see there will be an ALC charter still

Whatever hapenned to the Bourgas flights?

Wonkavater
19th Jun 2006, 22:19
I hope BLK haven't put all the proverbial eggs in one basket with Jet2. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that they're doing so many routes out of Blackpool. Just wonder if any of the other operators or any new operators will be announcing routes in the future. I've got a feeling more are on the cards.

take-off
20th Jun 2006, 07:21
Wonkavater

have looked on thomson website and they are only showing blackpool as flights to alc no tfs , always thooght tenerife was popular from blackpool not every1 wants just a flight surely thomson cant be scared off by the thought of jet2 flyin from there, bit off a disapointment not that i like the reps of the tour companies but nice to be able to bag a cheapie from your local airport, back to man/lpl it seems now, shame

dada
20th Jun 2006, 20:37
Ref ryanair. dunno how their gro service is still doing (now ithe market has been potentially been diluted by monarch and jet 2) but i'd have thought it a good idea to do reu (for bcn) say 3 times a week (reu serves salou and the great port aventura theme park and is just as close to bcn as gro) and reduce the gro to say 4 times a week.

BombardierCR7
20th Jun 2006, 22:31
dada

Malaga, Murcia and Alicante are many many miles away fron Gerona, what is ur point?

I do not see any market dilution...only grabbing back (thankfully) from Manchester and Liverpool

dwlpl
20th Jun 2006, 22:37
dada

BLACKPOOL to GIRONA

Girona does drop to four per week from the start of the winter schedules, the aircraft does a return to/from Doncaster/Sheffield on the other three days.

dada
20th Jun 2006, 23:14
My point seems borne out by the fact that gro is dropping to 4 a week. they could maybe sustain 7 days a week if tehy served another destination (REU - for the resorts of salou)

BombardierCR7
20th Jun 2006, 23:20
again....and what is that to do with Malaga, Alicante and Murcia?
Jet2 Barcelona 3x weekly?......maybe....wait and see....

dada
21st Jun 2006, 00:44
Bombudeer - chill out.
it's got to do with the fact that when ryanair was the only choice folks who weren't that fusst about where they went and only wanted to use blk would go to gro - now there's alc, mjv, agp, fao etc etc.
comprendez?

crewboi83
21st Jun 2006, 12:33
Cant help noiticing that earlier in this thread someone posted Jet2 announced 3x weekly PRG from BLK and people replied with WELL DONE BLACKPOOL. Can someone please point out what BLK actually did that was so great that they deserve a WELL DONE? it wasnt actually BLK airport that decided to launch BLK-PRG was it? it was the airline. so really, instead of saying well done BLK shouldnt we be saying THANK YOU JET2?
I just find it funny that an airline annouces a new route and the airport gets a well done, its not as if the route was awared to them is it? lol :}

ManchesterMan
21st Jun 2006, 13:44
crewboi83

You sad fokker.....

MM

silverhawk
21st Jun 2006, 14:34
chill D*rr*n

rufus.t.firefly
21st Jun 2006, 16:50
now lets not throw our teddies out of the pram .........:=

yes I said well done , because airlines may announce new routes but isn't it through a joint venture between airport operator and airline to strike the best deal for the travelling public these days .

Isn't it about the right airports and routes for convenience and price ??

If any airline wants a pat on the back for launching any new route then it might as well fly from any grass strip , doesn't the infrastructure on the ground matter then , dont airports attract operators ??

Sorry but I'm a Blackpool Airport supporter , having flown out of Manchester for years the folks in the northwest have other alternative and friendlier departure points now and at attractive reduced costs !

take-off
22nd Jun 2006, 07:21
yeah i agree with rufus i musch prefer flying from blackpool but as was said earlier are they putting all their eggs in one basket with jet2, they seemed to have steamrollered in with new routes to the expense of others, what with thomson , monarch and now the mighty ryanair cuttin the number of flights, at this rate they may as well paint that big tent red!!!! surely attracting a mix of charter and scheduled would be a better way to grow the business, just cant see how they can sustain growth relyin on one airline alone thats all.

cumbrianboy
22nd Jun 2006, 09:10
There has been a lot of talk of the reduction in the GRO service to 4 x weekly for IATA winter season. This is only for the winter and the service returns to daily for the IATA summer season next year.

The reason for the reduction is simply the route is much stronger in summer than winter, seasonal variation. Nothing to worry about, its just the way the business goes.

With regards to putting all the eggs in one basket, I will point out a few facts. Firstly, Ryanair operate 3 routes, Jet2 9. Yes, well done. However, in terms of volume, even next summer when Jet2 are operating up to 7 flights per day, Ryanair will still account for around 45% of the airports business, with Jet2 around 45% and the balance being Monarch and the Irish Sea Traffic.

So, hardly eggs in one basket, but a healthy mix between 2 well established and sustainable carriers. I would also point out that for many years LPL had around 80% EZY so in all I would say BLK is doing rather well!

take-off
22nd Jun 2006, 11:01
very vaild points cumbrian, to an outsider though it just seems that scheduled has pushed out what charter there was at blkpl, but fair play to the airport for gettin extra flights to new destinations, guess like everything all takes time to build on bigger and better hopefully
:)

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
22nd Jun 2006, 12:57
I think that is the picture all over with locost forcing the charters out especially Spain

G-I-B

cumbrianboy
22nd Jun 2006, 13:56
The big problem any new regional airport has with charter is that charter is a shrinking market. I would class BLK as a new charter airport as historically it has never really had any serious charter capacity, other than a 26 week season with TUI and the odd newmarket here and there.

Charter is a notoriously difficult market for new entrants for a number of reasons:

1. The market is shrinking and in a total state of flux and not quite yet adapted to the low cost carriers who have stolen much of the bread and butter charter market

2. Distribution still relies heavily on the travel trade, and the travel trade are stuck in their ways. New services into BLK need such an enormous amount of 'push' to get them off the ground the cost of sale per seat makes BLK so anticompetitive against other established and much larger bases (such as MAN), that convincing atour operator to take the risk is tough

That said however, I do believe there is a substantial enough market at BLK for a charter operation, however I think the airport still needs to be more established than it is, as it relies on a large geographic catchment area, much of which is still unaware of the benefits the airport has to offer. For charter to truly work the public need to 'think blackpool' and ask for the flight, at the moment it relies on the trade offering the flight - and currently it is far easier to simply offer MAN as you have for the last 30 years.

Charter in my view (and I am happy to be proved wrong anytime soon) will develop but over time.

Lost_luggage34
22nd Jun 2006, 14:22
A good, factual and well constructed post cumbrain.

As you and others have pointed out, it is not simply the airline who bring routes into the airport.

There was much concern about the future of the field once Blackpool Council sold out. I'd love to know what they did with the money aside from plugging their own pension fund - that's another thread.

The new owners have appointed a development guy who I believe works very hard with others in encouraging the likes of Jet2 to test the water.

From their initial reaction it seems that it must work - there can only be a limited time with any LoCo before they pull the plug. Every indication at present says that they are quite committed.

I believe that is why Ryanair have stayed committed to the route.

As for the traffic from other airlines, then surely that is a decision for them. I still fail to see the reasoning behind multiple flights between Blackpool and the IoM. That has been a death call for a few before.

I believe the field has more potential - yes, the tent for arrvals is interesting to say the least. But the fact is, the impoteus is there. It should therefore be encouraged.

Afterall, when are we likely to see a third LHR runway ?

Regional capacity has to be made available. I believe the way in which the Develoment Manager and the LoCo airlines are doing that with Blackpool at present should be highly commended.

As for LTNMAn - you clearly begrudge the fact that you have to come up here to visit your folks. Well we are all sorry that they chose to live on the Fylde coast and that it is such an inconvenice to you.

phil2
24th Jun 2006, 13:44
i think BLK will continue to grow.handy for lancashire and BLACKPOOL.

take-off
29th Jun 2006, 15:53
does anyone know if monarch are pulling out of blackpool after this winter, i would guess they would be with jet2 flying 5 times a week from next march, just a friend of mine travelled to majorca last week sayin the flight on jet2 was ok but plane was rather tatty

peakp
29th Jun 2006, 16:42
[[QUOTE=take-off]does anyone know if monarch are pulling out of blackpool after this winter, i would guess they would be with jet2 flying 5 times a week from next march, just a friend of mine travelled to majorca last week sayin the flight on jet2 was ok but plane was rather tatty

No, but agp bookable until march.
Returned from pmi on tuesday on jet2 757 into man slight showing of age (bit like myself) went out on monarch A320 previous thursday,leather seats, paid for extra leg room,very nice.

Regards

Wonkavater
29th Jun 2006, 17:13
Would be a real shame if Monarch did decide to pull out of BLK. I did think when they pulled out of Newquay BLK would rapidly follow. It remains to be seen if the airport can sustain two carriers to Malaga. You might be inclined to say no with Air Europa's withdrawal as evidence. Does anyone have any evidence one way or the other?

cumbrianboy
29th Jun 2006, 20:02
It was not aer europas decision to pull out of BLK but the tour operator, and the reasons for this stretch far beyond the fact Jet2 appeared on TFS, more to do with operational logistics and costs.

Why would Monarch pull out? If you look at where they operate, Manchester for example, they compete with Jet2, GB Airways, BmiBaby, Thomsonfly plus the charter ops of TCX, MYT, FCA etc etc etc.

Jet2 and Monarch are also very different carriers, and offer very different services and appeal to different markets, they complement each other very well.

In 2004, 205k passengers from BLK's catchment flew to Malaga, I am sure the airport can sustain 9 -10 flights per week.

There are no monarch services from any airport bookable beyond march so I rather feel that statement is void.

I do not know what Monarch's intentions are, but I would hazard a guess that they will operate the route - after all, why wouldn't they?

peakp
29th Jun 2006, 21:46
There are no monarch services from any airport bookable beyond march so I rather feel that statement is void.

C/Boy
when i stated blk-agp was bookable in march,i was aware it was part of the winter sheds.
however monarch summer bhx 2007 is now bookable,as well as man -xry
this is a new service 3xper week (Jerez).

Regards

Ametyst
29th Jun 2006, 22:35
I cannot believe people are upset that Blackpool is putting all its eggs in one basket by allowing or welcoming Jet 2. Blackpool would basically have nothing without them.

People used the same argument about 8 years ago when easyJet started from Liverpool saying that Liverpool had all is eggs in one basket. Again, Liverpool would have had nothing if it wasn't for easyJet. Look what has happened at Liverpool we now have two eggs in one basket!

Go Blackpool, and grow! even if it just with Jet 2 and a sprinking of Ryanair!

take-off
3rd Jul 2006, 10:19
anybody know when smiths are looking to open their store in the airport?

Wonkavater
6th Jul 2006, 14:48
Not sure. Website just says July 2006, but it looks far from finished.

This might be old news, but I believe Jet2 will be doing the Tenerife route with a 757. The terminal's gonna be mighty cosy Monday and Friday afternoons this autumn! :ok:

garethjk22
7th Jul 2006, 13:18
WHSmith target opening is week commencing 17 July 2006. Currently on target I beleive.

Jet2 TFS is operated by a 757-200

Charlie Roy
11th Jul 2006, 20:58
http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=63&ArticleID=1620719

Ryanair are very interested in connecting Blackpool to Poland.
I would imagine that when Ryanair do finally open a Polish base they will connect with Blackpool then.
(Unfortunately I doubt they'll base an aircraft in Blackpool in the near future.)

dada
12th Jul 2006, 06:40
Interesting that, there was an article recently in the blackpool gazette about the amount of polish workers who now work in blackpool in all the seasonal jobs

bycrewlgw
12th Jul 2006, 07:58
Its the same in Wales, loads of Polish people now living there so would be a good route to operate, maybe not daily though.

Wonkavater
17th Jul 2006, 14:25
Looks like the WHSmith in the terminal is now open. Nosh in there seems expensive but all in all looks pretty good for the amount of space made available to them, ie. not much. Heard on the grapevine Monarch are positioning an A320 from Manch tonight. Not sure what for, but there's probably gonna be standing room only on the apron!:ok:

fredtheanorak
17th Jul 2006, 21:32
I'd heard it's Prague they're looking at??

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=63&ArticleID=1620719

Ryanair are very interested in connecting Blackpool to Poland.
I would imagine that when Ryanair do finally open a Polish base they will connect with Blackpool then.
(Unfortunately I doubt they'll base an aircraft in Blackpool in the near future.)

take-off
18th Jul 2006, 18:20
has anybody checked out how much its costin to get to tenerife from blk?
am looking for a week in nov06 so far jet2 want nearly 300quid, can do it for under 200 with BA of all airlines from the dreaded man, im big fan of blk and tell lots of locals its great airport to use , i have nothing to do with the airport or any airline, but with these prices as a starter...its pricing it self out the market, found same looking for malaga next march jet2 is far more expensive than monarch , certainly not knocking the airport, just trying to point out that people are more price orientated these days, certainly not knocking the airport as will use as first choice when poss but price/cost has to come in to things as well, just wondered what anyone elses thoughts are.

dwlpl
18th Jul 2006, 18:41
has anybody checked out how much its costin to get to tenerife from blk?
am looking for a week in nov06 so far jet2 want nearly 300quid, can do it for under 200 with BA of all airlines from the dreaded man,

You can go from Liverpool from £112 return with its newly based airline.

take-off
18th Jul 2006, 18:50
appologies guuys meant to add the price was for 2 pax so maybe 300 quid aint so bad but just trying to point out that even with the cost of getting to man/lpl it still cheaper to fly from those airports than the one on your doorstep

longarm
18th Jul 2006, 19:02
Monarch will pull out of BLK from 27th October.

take-off
18th Jul 2006, 19:05
how come as have flew this route out of blk few times and was always full or not far off? not surprised though thort it would happen what with jet2 announcing that it was starting flights to malaga in march , i wonder if jet2 will start th flights earlier? shame , like monarch fliew with them a few times looks like ill be a resident at man again,

darren1
18th Jul 2006, 22:07
appologies guuys meant to add the price was for 2 pax so maybe 300 quid aint so bad but just trying to point out that even with the cost of getting to man/lpl it still cheaper to fly from those airports than the one on your doorstep

And £150 per person is unrealistically expensive for a 4-5 hour flight?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Charlie Roy
18th Jul 2006, 22:52
fredtheanorak

I would be very much surprised if Ryanair's wish to connect Blackpool with an eastern European city resulted in a Prague service...

Ryanair have no plans to base an aircraft at Blackpool. They are however very close to launching their first Polish base.
Any new Ryanair eastern European route to Blackpool will more than likely be operated using an aircraft based in their new (as of yet unknown) eastern European base.

This other article also about the (eastern European) expansion of Ryanair at Blackpool mentions Poland around 10 times. Not a word about Prague.

http://www.blackpooltoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=62&ArticleID=1629759
"Ryanair ... is in negotiations to expand its franchise to Poland within the next year."

Ryanair do not currently even fly to Prague, so it's very unlikely we'll see a Ryanair base there in the next few years...

However, stranger things have happened, Ryanair fell in love with Marseille overnight it would seem, and rumors are flying that Ryanair will launch a base in Madrid, an airport with which they have had no previous relationship at all.

Anyway, Jet2 already do Blackpool to Prague so it would be quite a pity if a new Ryanair route from Blackpool was just going to compete with an existing route.

take-off
19th Jul 2006, 00:20
And £150 per person is unrealistically expensive for a 4-5 hour flight?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

my point being is that if u can fly cheaper with the likes of british airways by over £100 then who are you going to book with? Price is champion these days,in nearly all walks of life, certainly not knocking the airport guys flown many times from there, always been really good but just pointing out the price factor. rather the extra £100 in my pocket, jet2 advertise themselves as low cost just not always the case , albeit they were cheaper than monarch which is my favoured airline. and on a different point i hope the withdrawl of monarch from blackpool isnt the norm of things to come with the arrival of jet2, just as an outsider looking in that blk would be left with very little if they upped sticks as companies can and often do. any thats the way i look at it certainly no expert so feel free to shoot me down:ugh:

Wonkavater
19th Jul 2006, 08:23
Originally Posted by longarm
Monarch will pull out of BLK from 27th October.
According to the Monarch website flights are still bookable until March 07. Have you heard different from somewhere?

take-off
19th Jul 2006, 09:25
have tried booking for begining of march it say no flights available can book ofter october it seems

longarm
19th Jul 2006, 11:55
Yes. Passengers booked after this date will be offered refunds or transfers to Manchester services.

Wonkavater
19th Jul 2006, 15:00
If this is the case, why don't Monarch make an announcement about the cessation of services instead of potentially giving its customers the hump by allowing them to book flights they know aren't going to exist. Forigive me for any ignorance if this is common practice. Just seems a little daft that's all.

longarm
19th Jul 2006, 16:14
Don't think the website will take bookings after the 27th.

jet2impress
19th Jul 2006, 16:35
my point being is that if u can fly cheaper with the likes of british airways by over £100 then who are you going to book with? Price is champion these days,in nearly all walks of life, certainly not knocking the airport guys flown many times from there, always been really good but just pointing out the price factor. rather the extra £100 in my pocket, jet2 advertise themselves as low cost just not always the case , albeit they were cheaper than monarch which is my favoured airline. and on a different point i hope the withdrawl of monarch from blackpool isnt the norm of things to come with the arrival of jet2, just as an outsider looking in that blk would be left with very little if they upped sticks as companies can and often do. any thats the way i look at it certainly no expert so feel free to shoot me down:ugh:
The flight with Jet2 might be filling up. If its a busy flight the price will start to creep up. The BA flight might be empty, so the first few seats are going to go at a low price. All down to supply and demand Im afraid. You can't realistically expect Jet2 to make money on a 4-5 hour flight if every seat is sold at £59!! :ugh:

take-off
21st Jul 2006, 14:24
anyone got any ideas who will want to step in and take the blk to agp flights now monarch are pulling out? jet2 arent starting till end of march, surely with good flights times somebody could make a go of it as monarch did when they first started flight out at 7am, its no wonder nobodys booking the flights now seeing as they changed it to 9.20pm .

rufus.t.firefly
21st Jul 2006, 17:00
Air Europa wont be operating the normal Tenerife charter following the announcement that Jet 2 are starting that route , thats what the locals say
anyway.

Air Europa might be interested but dont they normally operate IT services and not low cost type ops ??

Are Thomson back this winter with their IT stuff to Spain or have they also
pulled out ??? anybody know........:uhoh:

Or is it just going to be a lo co operation at Blackpool from now on ??:{

take-off
21st Jul 2006, 17:26
no thomson are doing alc for the winter, surprised they pulled tenerife off for winter always thort it did ok know alot of people that do tenerife in winter, went mar 05 with first choice on futura flights were full!!!

airhumberside
21st Jul 2006, 18:05
Air Europa might be interested but dont they normally operate IT services and not low cost type ops ??
Air Europa do have some scheduled flights but they tend to be to large cities like CDG and WAW

LGS6753
21st Jul 2006, 18:30
Air Europa's charter flight is determined by the charterer. If there remains sufficient demand for it, it will continue.
Monarch will have left the AGP route for one of two reasons, either the revenue/yield was insufficient (in which case Jet2 would have to take a view based on their own costs and local exposure), or it was cannibalising their MAN-AGP flights (in which case Jet2 would be on to a winner).
Whatever happens, I reckon you Blackpudlians (?) can look forward to more services to sun-spots from the locos.

cumbrianboy
22nd Jul 2006, 11:07
When Monarch first announced BLK-AGP they had intended to base an aircraft in AGP. Half way through the winter this proved not to work them so they moved the aircraft back to MAN.

BLK has no based aircraft and so it must have tough for them to fit the BLK-AGP service into the schedule, with W patterns etc.

Now Jet2 have announced the service, it is understandable that ZB have ceased the service. With the other low cost routes from FR and LS doing so well at BLK, I would think the decision to withdraw was more of an operational one than anything else.

These things happen, point is, BLK is still going from strength to strength!

2007 - 1 million passengers is the forecast.

take-off
23rd Jul 2006, 10:13
im sure flying a late at nite hasnt helped either as said before when flying early in morning the flights were selling out, maybe that should tell them something!

SM82
1st Aug 2006, 16:54
Anybody any more info on this?
http://www.lancashireeveningpost.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=1665343

take-off
1st Aug 2006, 18:22
looking though jet2's flights next year just wondered if the airport was actually shut on a tuesday as from what i can see their only doing one flight out on that day, that and a couple of ryainairs gonna make it a very quiet day , yet fridays looks to be busiest day, wouldnt want to packed in there like sardines, especially if there was a delay:}

TartinTon
1st Aug 2006, 21:29
im sure flying a late at nite hasnt helped either as said before when flying early in morning the flights were selling out, maybe that should tell them something!

take-off since when has a 60% load factor been a sell-out? Read the CAA stats. The flights were not the success you seem determined to paint them to be and that is the reason the schedule was changed i.e. in order to try and stem the losses :ugh: :mad: := := :=

garethjk22
2nd Aug 2006, 09:25
Tartintom - 60% load factor? Do you know the facts? The BLK aircraft used to operate via NQY over the winter, so they only sold around half the aircraft for BLK originating passengers, so of course the loadf factor will look bad - as half the pax got on at NQY!

Since the service has been operating directly, and even accounting for the over night flight, the loads have been around 80% - not bad for a scheduled service and I am sure comparable compared to Manchester, Liverpool and the likes.

Re next year, of course the airport is not closed on a tuesday! Jet2.com only have 3 or 4 of the 9 routes the operate on sale for summer 2007, on average BLK will be dealing with around 10-12 low cost flights per day (between FR and LS) in 2007. In addition to this, you have the regional Irish Sea traffic and anything else that may happen between now and then.

TartinTon
2nd Aug 2006, 12:18
garethjk22...please read the previous posts. Take-off was suggesting that the flights were full when they used to operate direct BLK - AGP. I was merely pointing out that this was garbage ;) ;) ;)

take-off
2nd Aug 2006, 17:25
in reply to tartin tom and others , i was only saying it was a sell out because monarch had it in their website news section that it was!!!!
which was why they said they were flying into next year from blackpool!!!!, obviously it must be such an embarassment to them cause it been removed from what i can see now!:mad:

take-off
2nd Aug 2006, 17:28
as for being closed i was trying to say it going be like a sardine tin on a friday !

take-off
2nd Aug 2006, 17:33
as for me saying that the flight times were the problem ive spoke to quite a few people that would have gone from blackpool but for the fact they werent prepared to fly that late at nite! any business has to offer a product or service people want to buy and use obviously nobody wanted to fly at that time of night which is why understandably monarch have pulled it , all ive ever tried to put across was that if they'd have kept better times then maybe it would still be flying, i could be wrong but i guess we shall just have to see how jet2 do with it , unless someone else steps in this winter.

silverhawk
2nd Aug 2006, 19:51
There are no night flights from Blackpool at the moment. Winter 2006/7 is very civilised with Jet2.

take-off
3rd Aug 2006, 09:50
silverhawk

nope it wouldnt !:ugh:

take-off
3rd Aug 2006, 09:57
Browsing through tuesday nitghts Evening gazette, on the letters page 2 people had written in commenting on monarch pulling out of blackpool. One commented on that as the flight times, were not good, that people didn't want to fly and would rather pay extra to get a decent time from manchester, proves point if u don't offer a service people want to use they won't support it, and before everyone shoots me down , yes i know its only 2 people, but obviously they aren't the only ones to think that now.

Hope my punctuation is a bit better?:{

cumbrianboy
3rd Aug 2006, 16:40
Tartintom - as you claim to have derived your load factor from the CAA stats, can you tell me how you have done this? The CAA stats do not show passengers who flew direct and those who flew indirect.

My point being, that if for example the CAA say 5000 people flew in any one month, you do not know how many of those went on the direct flight, and how many went via another airport on the same aircraft (such as via NQY) - so if you simply take the passenger numbers / number of seats on aircraft, you will miss the NQY passengers - ?

dada
4th Aug 2006, 15:52
ive sed it before - selling off all that land for the business park was a good idea at the time when they were skint but could do with it now. heard they
are after buying back morrisons, knock that down along with the emerald and other hangars and build a nice new terminal

take-off
4th Aug 2006, 19:50
that would be a rather expensive option that buying morrisons,cost asda £20+ million to get the old co-op, cant see that airport having funds to buy morrisons seeing how successful it is, unless they had an area of spare land to give them, then that would only work if they could get planning permission which for out of town stores is very hard these days.Just seems an unlikely option to me. But then what do i know? But do agree, think they've gone too far selling land off to a point theres nowhere to expand with a decent open area, with the airport gettin busier where would extra parking go?

TartinTon
4th Aug 2006, 21:23
cumbrianboy...the double drops only started at the end of Jan...try and keep up..there's a good chap

cumbrianboy
4th Aug 2006, 22:51
I think I am well versed with the facts, but thanks for the heads up all the same.

rvsm compliant
5th Aug 2006, 17:41
clik on link below
http://www.blackpoolinternational.com/pdfs/Masterplan_2006.pdf

take-off
6th Aug 2006, 02:33
if u look close enough on the proposed plans morrisons is still where it is, just that the airport is goin to use all the space between the current terminal and the supermarket, seem the 'new' airport building will almost back onto to morrisons.

take-off
9th Aug 2006, 06:03
anyone heard any rumours of who ight take over from monarxh on the winter malaga run?

silverhawk
9th Aug 2006, 06:15
Jet2 run 5 days a week from March 2007 leaving at lunchtime.

I think Monarch drop Blackpool, but continue to run from Man instead over Winter

phil2
14th Aug 2006, 15:57
weather it be jet2 or ryainair how well are they doing anyone flew on a flight From BLK if so how full was it

also hows BLK -LONDON STANSTED doing

thanks

Expressflight
15th Aug 2006, 07:44
Don't know the breakdown by operator, but the CAA stats for the pax numbers through Blackpool in July 2006 are:

Dublin 9258
Alicante 2393
Gerona 10259
Murcia 2492
Malaga 4769
Palma 4040

Hope this helps.

garethjk22
15th Aug 2006, 08:54
Typical loads in July for BLK were around 80% accross all routes. STN is fine, however the times make certain sectors on certains days comemrcially unattractive which naturally reflects in the loads.

Generally BLK is doing well and on target for c1m passengers in 2007.

take-off
17th Aug 2006, 08:10
Are Ryanair pulling the gerona flights as been trying to book for november or march and not having any luck, just says flights are either full or not scheduled to fly, bit odd as they were advertising them cheap on their website until feb 07

garethjk22
17th Aug 2006, 09:20
BLK-GRO with Ryanair over the winter (nov-mar) operated 4 x weekly, Mo, We, Fr, Su. SO if you try and book a day the flight doesnt operate it will say nothings available.

CHeck your dates are one of the days above.

fredtheanorak
17th Aug 2006, 17:17
Seems that Phil M from JetToo was in BFS earlier this week talking about doubling the frequency to BLK and LBA 3/07. Heard he's got more BLK expension plans for BLK lined up. Guess I'll put my CV in yet again!!:hmm: still, at least they don't charge :D :D like Ryanair :mad: or I'd be broke:{

LBA
17th Aug 2006, 19:24
Doubling the frequency to LBA? Surely 4 a day would not be viable with 733's!

take-off
17th Aug 2006, 20:25
Thanks gareth. Have tried booking again tonight with more success with same dates i wanted this morning, got a whole list of dates available when looking, but couldnt get it this morning, did same process of booking , maybe a systems problem, (or me!!!haha!). Thanks anyway:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

* just to add tried booking for feb and march does say no flights and I used a wide date range to check. seems flights have been dropped

* just checked on ryanairs low fares table , last flight bookable is 31jan

nick b
18th Aug 2006, 12:14
Surely BLK - GRO cannot be dropped after Jan. This route has load factors around 80% even during the winter. Is some re jigging of the timetable taking place i.e moving from an evening departure to a morning departure. Can anyone confirm whats happening to this route one way or another?

Regards

FLYboh
18th Aug 2006, 15:54
Calm down everyone. Ryanair have taken off sale flights to Girona from a number of airports during this period including Paris, Turin, Verona etc. This would suggest that its something to do with the booking system etc. GRO is a very profitable route from the UK so I'm pretty sure that you haven't lost your flights.;)

fredtheanorak
18th Aug 2006, 21:18
Unless of course thet've fallen out with Gerona over landing fees and this is another of the bully tactics employd previously (Brussels) to get airport to comply?:confused:

cumbrianboy
19th Aug 2006, 14:38
As i understand, they are rejigging some schedules ex GRO for this period and BLK should be back on sale shortly.

Keyvon
19th Aug 2006, 15:24
Calm down everyone. Ryanair have taken off sale flights to Girona from a number of airports during this period including Paris, Turin, Verona etc. This would suggest that its something to do with the booking system etc. GRO is a very profitable route from the UK so I'm pretty sure that you haven't lost your flights.;)

Turin was axed ages ago and Verona was operated from GRO only during BGY maintenance closure.

take-off
19th Aug 2006, 16:31
can book liverpool 2 gerona for next march, and doncaster sheffield, stanstead but not east midlands. doncaster has it down as new route! certainly not gettin in a flap, i do ope the route stays as an outsider looking in hope blackpool does grow and more routes are started. busier it gets more jobs, etc...

as ive said before i know great many people that would fly from blk that travel to man or lpl.

take-off
19th Aug 2006, 16:37
Seems that Phil M from JetToo was in BFS earlier this week talking about doubling the frequency to BLK and LBA 3/07. Heard he's got more BLK expension plans for BLK lined up. Guess I'll put my CV in yet again!!:hmm: still, at least they don't charge :D :D like Ryanair :mad: or I'd be broke:{

I wonder if terminal will get a repaint in jet 2 colours,?

phil2
23rd Aug 2006, 19:33
would be nice if it did

take-off
30th Aug 2006, 08:31
anything new happening here at lil 'ol blackpool , gone very quiet since monarch announcing their departure, nowt from jet 2 or ryanair, or the fact that theres still no malaga flights now for the winter... surely their cuttin it a bit fine to get an airline in place for people to book, will they not be looking at reaching their taget for passenger numbers this year now?

take-off
30th Aug 2006, 08:33
still cant book girona flights for next march, take it , its gone for good then?