View Full Version : FAA ATP Checkride

Frederic_2005
4th Oct 2005, 19:50
Hello every body,

I am a European license holder and I want o take an FAA ATP check ride as soon as possible, could you please advise me a good & rather cheap place where I could take this exam.

Thank you in advance for any input.

westhawk
5th Oct 2005, 21:09
Fred,

When I typed "ATP rating" into my web search engine, a very long list of websites were listed. I suggest visiting enough of these sites to make a short list of schools that may potentially meet your needs. The factors you may want to consider for selection would likely include school location, cost, guarantees and availability of suitable aircraft and instructors/examiners during your desired time-frame. Your needs may also include help with visa arrangements, TSA processing and determination that you meet all other rating eligibility requirements prior to travel. I suggest a methodical approach that includes contacting each school by telephone that makes your "short list" and asking any questions you may have. Their responses will tell you something about the character of the school. The large schools tend to be more accommodating to the foriegn visitor in that they seem more willing to and are often better equipped to provide all neccesary services that you may require. You can expect to pay less at a smaller school if you are prepared to handle more of the details yourself.

That said, I have heard favorable reviews from other pilots about their experiences at ATP inc. and at Sheble's. Just depends on your needs and what is important to you. Look them up on the web.

Bon chance with your search!

Best regards,

Westhawk

broottmeenoo
6th Oct 2005, 05:19
First get the ATP Prep book either from ASA or Gleim, review all the questions by yourself at least you'll be ready to take the written test as soon as you set foot in the US.
Depending on where you live in Europe, you may even be able to take the exam in your country. Get you medical as well here, list of examiners on the FAA web site (www.faa.gov).
In the same time that you review your written, apply from your place as TSA approval may take a month or more to get depending on your background/country of origin and ethnicity, sad to say...
Then I would recommend "All ATP's"(don't have their web address now, just make a yahoo!search). They have several locations across the US, and have a very structured program to make you take the flight test quick.
If you are current on instrument, it won't take you more than a couple of days. That's an easy ride....

Frederic_2005
6th Oct 2005, 14:18
Thank you for your help!

I think I found what I need with allATPs, even though I have no answer from them yet, I guess this is because they are very busy.

Well yes
I have the hours requirements
I have an ATP written exam
A FAA class 1 medical (passed nearly 1 year ago so it should still be class 2 or 3 by the time I arrive in the US)
I guess I would need some help in order to go through TSA processing as I am French! Any piece advice or back feed experience is welcome.

I am also current on instrument here in Europe. By the way can anybody tell what can of book I can read in order to prepare the oral exam?

Thanks to you again dudes this was really the info I was looking for! :ok:

eaglejet
6th Oct 2005, 19:05
Salut fred,

You need to go to the website www.flightschoolcandidates.gov after getting in touch with the school, they will do a background check on you (around 3 weeks to wait), then you will have to get fingerprinted (i think flightsafety Lebourget is an approved center), then you will have to get a visa.

You can order the ASA ATP oral book from La Boutique du Pilote at Toussus le Noble or online....

cheers

Frederic_2005
6th Oct 2005, 20:17
Thank you very much for this eaglejet.

BeerS on me when I pass!

Cheers mate

:D