View Full Version : NEWCASTLE

Pages : 1 2 [3]

transwede
17th Mar 2006, 18:08
With Jet2 starting LBA-ACE, is NCL next for an ACE route, judging how fast they are expanding at NCL?

New airline - ajet (formerly helios) will start charter flights for the summer, in place of usual HCY flights.

BUSH BABY
17th Mar 2006, 18:50
Miss Indie Skreet or What A Joke are not me, swear to god! even though what happened the other day may lead you to believe that;). I do think questions need to be asked as to why servisair are losing so many contracts but it is unfair to say that all of the managers hide away and are never seen. There are a few who do care and will help out. I wish swissport all the best for the summer but i do think they will struggle, servisair to with the loss of quite a large number of very good and experienced staff lately(management included):ok:. I am not looking forward to the summer if im still around:ugh:.

transwede
18th Mar 2006, 09:44
It seems the summer charter programme is changing by the day.

MyTravel have replaced Monarch on sunday FAO and Karthago are operating sunday MIR service.

It also appears that NCL has lost its links to SKG and the new service to PVK has been cancelled. Kosmar Holidays, however are advertising ATH on their holiday search - direct from NCL.

transwede
19th Mar 2006, 15:31
How about these for future developements at Newcastle? Just a few thoughts....

[LIST]
Expanded charter flights to Eygpt, HRG, LXR etc, seen as SSH has proved so successful
New charter flights to Caribbean, Jamaica, Cancun etc, maybe even on a fortnightly basis
A greater, more diverse choice in the med, sicily, sardinia, eilat, more greek islands
New scheduled services to WAW, ZRH, FRA, LCA, ATH etc
A year round YYZ service, possibility of Zoom?
Greater frequency on DUS, CPH
A third handling agent at NCL, quite a lucrative opportunity there, judging by some comments

There were talks in the previous years of some of these ideas happening, but nothing seems to have come of it and as new destinations are being added, more often that not tour operators are pulling the plug without giving it a chance. Taba, Preveza, Cancun etc

Jamesair
19th Mar 2006, 16:02
Don't forget New York, more likely to be EWR now than JFK.

I would like to see more longer haul lo-cost...Greece, Turkey and the other two main Canary Islands.

There is definately a market for long haul charters...look at Sharm el sheik and Dominican Republic (despite the delays)....Cuba and one of the Carribean Islands is worth a go, plus Cancun.

2 x daily to CPN and 2 x daily to Dusseldorf plus Frankfurt and bring back Munich/Cologne or try Stuttgart.

CentreFix25
19th Mar 2006, 18:49
Personally think NCL just about maxed out on new destinations, hope i'm wrong!. Quite a few new destinations being pulled before they started. Traditional bucket and spade destinations will continue to do well, as will city break, but i think thats it for now.

GrahamK
19th Mar 2006, 18:53
I'd have to agree with CentreFix25, over the last few years NCL has seen tremendous growth especially from Lo-co's such as easyJet and Jet2.
Over the next few years I would expect some new routes, but I also expect growth to decrease slightly.
Possible new routes would be:
EWR - Continental 757
WAW - One of the Eastern European Lo-co's

And perhaps charter flights to Croatia, and Hurghada in Egypt.

transwede
20th Mar 2006, 09:09
I believe many years ago routes to Morrocco and the former Yugoslavia, operated by the likes of RAM and Aviogenex/JAT used to do fairly well from NCL. Once again these destinations are proving to be up and coming with British holiday makers, so we could possibly see these reappearing in the NCL programme.

Maybe Flybe will start INV and Eastern start NWI as has been rumoured in the past.

transwede
20th Mar 2006, 09:52
Can anyone confirm if we have lost the Kosmar Holidays charters to Bodrum, Thessaloniki and Preveza? And is there going to be an ATH charter again this year?

Too many changes.........:}

nclbase
20th Mar 2006, 10:01
I know for certain XLA are operating to Thessaloniki and Preveza - not sure about Bodrum though

GrahamK
20th Mar 2006, 10:29
Preveza definitly dropped by Kosmar.
No Athens route and no Thessaloniki route

skyman771
20th Mar 2006, 13:09
I'd have to agree with CentreFix25, over the last few years NCL has seen tremendous growth especially from Lo-co's such as easyJet and Jet2.
Over the next few years I would expect some new routes, but I also expect growth to decrease slightly.
Possible new routes would be:
EWR - Continental 757
WAW - One of the Eastern European Lo-co's
And perhaps charter flights to Croatia, and Hurghada in Egypt.
Been away & on reviewing this thread this is the first bit of sense I've come accross for quite a few postings, last year all the sniping was at XLA (not without just cause!) & now it's the handling agents turn !
However, IF! NCL could just get a NYC schedule then that's the only sound basis for the airport to go forward and look for significant growth.
The Loco's will have to work hard at keeping up pax volumes / load factors on many of the routes offered that lose the initial appeal as the years go by, particularly where they do not ofer a high re-vist appeal to punters. What you may find is simply destination switching, where new routes are offered at the expense of existing ones. You will always have the continued appeal of the traditional "sunshine" destinations, but others offered may have a more limited shelf life.
I've said it many times, two "key" routes needed to maintain a sound growth, obviously as said a Stateside link & one the other awy, opening an access to the Far East eliminating a European hub, DXB being the obvious choice as combines tourism, with a "one stop" journey down under.

transwede
20th Mar 2006, 19:43
skyman771 yes last year all the sniping was at XLA, but there was reason for it, they did have alot of adverse delays, but on the other hand all airlines go through tough patches and lets hope XLA have a better year this year, which I do believe they will. There is good reason behind the heavy discussion regarding the handling agents, Servisair in particular. The reasons are plainly obvious in this forum, though we do not forget that what is said here is not the gospel and may well have been misinterpreted. None of us want to see a company failing.

On another note, was there not talk of EK starting a service to their DXB hub? The locos seem to have done their homework on NCL. I for one would not have though PRG, BUD, CIA, HAJ, TRF etc would have been viable out of NCL but it seems they are, sometimes on a less than daily frequency but they do work. Maybe some other routes 2/3 times per week could work, afterall regardless of how often it is greater choice for the consumer, greater financial benefits for the airport and region and sustained growth.

My wish.....Definately a transatlantic link, come on Continental!!!

JKP505
21st Mar 2006, 12:30
Really disappointing to see a number of Greek routes dropped, looks like KVA has been as well. I think this may be down to a lack of available a/c though, load factors on the SKG route especially are generally good if i'm correct.
The fact that ATH is in the bookings is interesting. I know a lot of tour operators are planning their S07 routes. I think SKG, KVA, PVK and VOL will be back in 07. Possibly JSI via KVA and ATH via VOL?

I think there is still room for more routes: Ryanair could do a midday DUB, as well as BGY, CCF, CRL, GRO, HHN, LDY, LTN, NOC, NYO, SNN, TRF, possibly a couple of others (Esbjerg/Haugesund/Riga or eastern European cities).

Easyjet could do ATH, HAM, MAD, VLC, and maybe a few of the new BRS destinations.

How about charters to AGA, AHO, BIA, CTA, CUN, DBV, HRG, JMK, LEI, PUY, SMI, SUF, TCP? I don't think MYT marketed DJE well enough, it could easily have worked!

Obviously DXB and NYC could be served.

transwede
21st Mar 2006, 18:00
As far as I was aware Volos was dropped as the aircraft that usually did JSI/VOL on a fri morning is now doing JSI/KVA. It does however, surprise me that SKG was dropped as Halkidiki was always very popular, with several tour operators sharing the same flight. Infact Thomson used to operate this route, but dropped it a few years back. Quite often I think it would be a good idea to operate 'double-drops' to some of the greek airports, like JSI/KVA etc, then there would be alot of choice on offer.

Charters to the likes of HRG, DBV, TCP, CUN, AGA etc would I personally think, work on the condition they were marketed in the best way. These places are now up and coming, with holidaymakers starting to look for different places to go, and quite often people are not FR's loco routes are probably too niche for NCL, though I am shocked that MAD, VCE, VLC and HHN have not yet started from NCL, by easy/ryan etc.

Whatever happened to FlyBe's proposed expansion at NCL?

Goldtrail Holidays have cut their Turkish flights to 2 per week and are chartering LTE to operate a thu night PMI. Both DLM and BJV are operating on fridays now.

Flyjet = Swissport, another large all year round contract gained.

CentreFix25
21st Mar 2006, 18:57
Whatever happened to FlyBe's proposed expansion at NCL?As with most topics on here, speculation, rumour or wishful thinking. The only destination mentioned in the last week or so on this thread that, in my opinion is viable, is Madrid. New York is gone for at least a couple of years if not more, I don't see a demand for any other of the scheduled service routes mentioned, not even on a two or three times a week basis.

Jamesair
21st Mar 2006, 19:31
CENTREFIX 25

I think maybe you are being a bit negative here.....with good marketing and the right prices a lot of destinations can be made to work. There are some examples in a previous post.

I think there are a lot of new places, currently not on offer, that NCL area people would like to visit.

Other than the short trip market there must be some business destinations not covered and presently requiring a change of aircraft.

fl dutchman
21st Mar 2006, 22:50
Its almost certain that there will be no new scheduled routes announced for this summer. Its to late with the summer schedules starting in just a couple of weeks time. Would it be correct to say that the new routes starting soon will be almost cancelled out by the reduction in frequency of some existing flights. ie Heathrow -9 flts per week, Milan -4 flts per week, Jersey -5 flts per week, Belfast city -12 flts per week, thats a total of 30 per week(60 returns)when compared with summer 2005. Oh I forgot about the reduced HLX German service, cant remember the details but that must be another 5 per week making the total 35 (70 returns)
Does anyone have the info and numbers for the new routes that counteract these losses ?.

I think when the winter schedules come out we may find some existing routes may be dropped for the winter in favour of perhaps more ski destinations.

We may get Easyjet no 7 Next summer(2007) to Madrid and Venice or its quite possible that these routes replace some existing ones with just 6 aircraft. Perhaps the Thomsonfly schedules and increased activity by B M I baby at Teeside are having an effect on some of Easyjets routes out of NCL.

Regarding charters we do seem to be loosing quite a few this year. but surley next summer must see the re introduction of Pula, Split and Dubrovnik.
In the 70s we had I think about 7 per week to these destinations, they were very popular using JAT, Adria and Avoigenex( B707 727 732 733 DC9 and TU134a) I know loads of people who woukl like flights to these places from NCL.

10 DME ARC
22nd Mar 2006, 07:21
I think you will find a modest increase in movements this summer with the extra Jet2, Thomsonfly and excel program.

HZ123
22nd Mar 2006, 08:01
In fact Jet2 have another 757 at SEN for repair / spraying etc due to join in the next couple of months. It looks like a pile of junk?

skyman771
22nd Mar 2006, 13:03
CENTREFIX 25
I think maybe you are being a bit negative here......
I don't think Jamesair is being negative at all, it's the hot air of many others that is the real issue. I just seem to read all about these thin desinations that you all throw up and discuss pointlessly as being a good idea. Demographic issues & some political, limit the growth at NCL. Most of the destinations that are now being discussed are simply those that are to cause a substitution effect, ie the - let's go somewhere different this year luv- situation.
As for business travel, the average business person who needs to fly to the continent or wherever will use NCL in any event, though may need to go via an undesirable hub, hence no significant growth here other than few UK regional destinations not currently (fully) serviced.
You will get real growth in pax no.'s only when the regional ecconomy puts more tourist cash into punters pockets & also promotes business activity, or possibly and more speculatively that a significant investment in a route such as NCL - NYC will draw on punters from outside the normal catchment area as such a route to them then becomes more attractive than their current available options.
Lets face it is one trying to say that if say at NCL, an operator were to now in the current Loco situation, offer MAD as a new destination then most / all of the punters needed to make such a service viable simply would not have originally have travelled elsewhere from NCL or travelled by other means to alternative departure point to get to MAD, I don't think so !

HH6702
22nd Mar 2006, 13:09
New Charter airline to NCL

Eurojet will be doing flights during the summer.

Easyjet- NCL only uk based airport with no new routes so hopefully we are next.

GrahamK
22nd Mar 2006, 14:22
Where will Eurojet fly to, and who are they? :confused:

HH6702
22nd Mar 2006, 14:44
They are italian charter airline and are going to be doing flights to naples throughout the summer

Code is EEZ i think they use A320 and MD87?

GrahamK
22nd Mar 2006, 14:48
Ah, that'll be Eurofly :ok:
Who are they flying for btw?

transwede
22nd Mar 2006, 15:36
Is Eurofly operating NAP in addition to the regular Thomsonfly charter, who is using the flight and when/times etc?

It is more than likely true that NCL will not see such a huge growth in the route network that we have done in the previous 18-24 months but I do think there will be more to come. Probably our hope is indeed from the loco carriers, such as Jet2 and from the traditional charter flights. Full service scheduled traffic has never been that strong at NCL and the real growth here began with EZY opening their loco base. With smaller regional airports like NCL, I think loco carriers are realising the potential of offering flights only 3/4 times per week. That way they can offer a greater number of destinations, whilst still potentially making a profit. The next big loco or new route, my bet will come from Jet2. 6 routes in roughly a year is good expansion.

There must be a reason why charter routes to SKG, PVK etc have been dropped, even though they proved popular. The same with PUY etc. It was operated just a few years back, by if I recall Leisure International, but it obviously was not feasible or surely the charter company would have carried it on.

An area where charters could expand and make a shed load is in the winter. A long haul, more hot sun destinations in Eygpt, North Africa, Florida etc are needed, aswell as a greater choice in ski destinations (these flights are highly utilised).

Maybe with FJE operating all year round and not having a full programme, they could be chartered to operate a few new routes.

The airport does, however need to be cautious when new flights operate, as the terminal checkin/departure gate useage is reaching full at the busier points in the day. This summer saturday, thursday am are going to be a tight squeeze for space.

AIH849
22nd Mar 2006, 15:55
Does anyone have any ides what FJE are doing on a saturday in the winter as up to now from what i can see its an operationless day

GrahamK
22nd Mar 2006, 16:21
Looks like FJE will be doing an LPA in the afternoon

JKP505
23rd Mar 2006, 11:17
I think everything needs to be put into perspective here. Although we have lost a few routes/frequencies, I would suspect that there is still more capacity this year than the year before. Are people forgetting that Thomsonfly are utilising a third aircraft, whilst MyTravel will be using an A321 instead of the A320. NCL is getting a new service to Bergen, Jet2 will have 12 flights weekly to AMS, 3 a week to BGO, 3 a week to PSA. Murcia also goes daily. It's not all bad news!

On another note, heard MYT were going to operate 2 a/c again from S07. Although this will be at the loss of one of the XLA a/c me thinks.

GrahamK
23rd Mar 2006, 11:32
MyTravel will be using an A320 from NCL again this summer.

richardhall99
23rd Mar 2006, 11:35
Looks like NCL will have to find another CWL operator is the Air Wales rumours are true. Is it a guarantee that T3 will take it over. Who else could be in the frame?

transwede
23rd Mar 2006, 12:51
I am not upto date with the latest rumours, what about Air Wales? Talking of rumour's, the grapevine does say that with T3 getting extra J41 a/c, that NCL features heavily in their expansion plans, with the possiblity of NWI being added and I had heard INV, but whether this has been dropped, as FlyBe are rumoured to be interested.

If MyTravel are to operate 2 a/c next summer, in may be that FJE will not return as many of Airtours/My Travels holidays are actually operated by FJE this year. If XLA does drop one a/c, then it is back to a single unit based, possibly just the 737 or the AY 757? I suspect that XL will drop one a/c as did they not sign a contract wit FJE for 3 years to operate flights on their behalf?

Do we know any more about this Eurofly flight to Naples?

KM have left Servisair nationwide, so it is nothing personally aimed at Servisair NCL, and FUA/JKK have not changed agents at present, infact JKK have no planned flights this year from NCL.

It is true, that if the bigger picture is looked at there has been/will be a great level of growth this year. Jet2 playing a key role.

Sunday evenings, 2 widebody a/c, Onur A300's departing/arriving within 5 minutes of each other.

nclbase
23rd Mar 2006, 14:44
XLA are planning huge growth within the own brands so are still planing on 2 aircraft for 2007. They have the freedom flights and excel holidays brands which are to be marketed heavily to the trade over the coming 12 months.

MYT provides some additional work but the plan for 07 still requires the 2 based aircraft (an possibly a long haul 747 passing through for new routes currently under discussiomn). Avion (XLA parent co) may also be purchasing Kosmar and extending the product range to incorporate a wider range of regional airport departures.

Devonair
23rd Mar 2006, 14:45
CWL - NCL
Air Southwest would be perfect for this route, maybe combine a NQY-CWL-NCL route. More potential combining it with NQY rather than PLH. I think Flybe have NCL - Devon covered with EXT, this route is going twice daily from Monday.

Kev 1
23rd Mar 2006, 15:52
Eastern Airways to take on NCL-CWL from 24th April due to the demise of Air Wales, times TBC, but article on Eastern's site claims its to be 3x daily. Looks like another based J41 for Newcastle as the timetable on the Wideroe website shows a 6.50am departure from NCL

NCL base, you have a PM.

transwede
23rd Mar 2006, 18:27
nclbase are MYT and assciated tour operating division planning a big expansion at NCL, as they dropped Djerba and Agadir recently from NCL. Long Haul using 747 a/c!!:oh: Is NCL eventually going to get exotic Caribbean destinations?

And with regards to XLA, bear in the mind the supposed agreement with Flyjet for NCL. Is the 3 year contract going to be honoured or will FJE get the push in favour of XLA's own a/c? It was actually quite nice to see another charter a/c based all year round.

AIH849
23rd Mar 2006, 20:49
well hopefully FJE will be given a chance. I mean after XLAs performance last summer FJE are do any worse. I hope they get a fair run in at NCL it would be nice to see a new airliner based there.

I start work for FJE in just over a week i want us to do well at NCL. Give the others a run for their money

GrahamK
23rd Mar 2006, 21:54
Looks like SN Brussels is going down to 2 x Daily, using RJ100s.
Edit: No night stopping a/c anymore.

AIH849
24th Mar 2006, 07:30
yyjhfyhjfhjkghkgxhk

nclbase
24th Mar 2006, 08:19
Transwede - MYT dropped Djerba and Agadir simply because enough seats were not sold but personally, I think the marketing was partly to blame. The expansion is in the tour operating side will be to further destinations such as Africa - they have finally seen the locos take a substantial piece of business from the likes of Spain. A 747 will depend entirely upon the availability of the aircraft but new long haul destinations are planned and are under discussion.
It is likely FJE will get the push in favour of XLA own aircraft but that is pure speculation.
I see FJE have offered crew a permanent NCL base which is interesting

AIH849 - best of luck with FJE - I hope they have a good summer. XLA's performance tis summer will be vastly improved as there are no long haul which was a major issue with the NCL departures. Incidentally, do you know where your crew room is at NCL?
What did your comment about servisair refer too?

10 DME ARC
24th Mar 2006, 08:43
I was one of the many re-booked from Manchester this winter for Adadir and I agree the marketing is the problem, my travel agent had no idea about the place! But what a great destination we had a great time, it would make a very good year round destination from NCL if the tour operators could get it right.
:)

HH6702
24th Mar 2006, 11:08
servisair

they wont need to take extra staff on.

money saving

HH6702
24th Mar 2006, 11:52
only 2 flights each weekdays

Newcastle to Cardiff

06:50 08:05 T3 4641

17:00 18:15 T3 4647

Cardiff to Newcastle

08:35 09:50 T3 4642

18:45 20:00 T3 4648

nclairportfan
24th Mar 2006, 14:42
How strange? The press release on the airports website states that it is 3 x daily.

Jamesair
24th Mar 2006, 16:04
The press release on Eastern's website also says 3 x daily but neither the timetable page nor the route map have been updated. I think it will be amended pretty quickly. Air Wales were planning to go 3 daily from June before the announcement.

transwede
24th Mar 2006, 19:09
nclbase are you able to shed any light on the expansion by Mytravel? Which long hauls are under discussion, Cancun, Mombasa, Santa Domingo? And why would it be a 747 and not a MYT 767 or A330 or even chartered out to MON? Surely an aircraft of this size would be more economical than a jumbo, besides a fully laiden (fuel, pax and baggage) from NCL??????

AIH849 your comment on Servisair, saying they are loosing control is a little unfair. True, their service has deteriorated recently, but it must be hard for handling agents to hire qualified, dedicated staff when they pay 5.20 per hour roughly. There are many things Servisair need to improve on, as do Swissport before airlines will hand over valuable business. They are the airlines reps, in the event that the airline does not have their own reps on station. Personally, TCX and XLA have a good idea, positioning their own employed staff at airports. You soon notice how on the ball handling agents are.

Britannia
25th Mar 2006, 10:32
Looks like Spanair are going to be a no-show this summer.

Britannia.

skyman771
25th Mar 2006, 10:49
nclbase are you able to shed any light on the expansion by Mytravel? Which long hauls are under discussion, Cancun, Mombasa, Santa Domingo? And why would it be a 747 and not a MYT 767 or A330 or even chartered out to MON? Surely an aircraft of this size would be more economical than a jumbo, besides a fully laiden (fuel, pax and baggage) from NCL??????
Yes I was just about to make this point, 2350 metres or whatever, even without hills & bumps is not a great deal to offer a 747.200 operating on any significant sector legnth full of holiday punters. So basically what you would really be offering is not a "one stop" route. Can't see it happening, especially if more modern equipment is available. I recall in the 70's & 80's before the arrival of "next gen's" NCL had YYZ offerings by 747 from Wardair / CP Air, but there was a stop on route PWK or SNN I believe. Ah those were the days !

transwede
25th Mar 2006, 16:09
NCL is a fairly small market compared with the likes of MAN and LGW, but that does not mean to say long haul charters will not work. They very well could be successful given the right marketing and right use of equipment. A 747 is a bit much, indeed Travelcity cancelled their jumbo service to SFB. Maybe a 767 is the right size to use, economical and can operate relatively unrestricted from NCL with a full payload to the Caribbean etc. I must admit that Thomson have been quite often instrumental in opening up the charter network at NCL and am surprised they are not looking at future long haul possibilities, why also did they stop selling TCP and Cancun?

I still say, as well as long haul in the summer, it is also needed in the winter. There used to be Orlando operated by Airtours International in the winter, which was always full. Canada is another possibility.

Is EEZ still operating a regular charter to NAP or is it just a one-off?

transwede
26th Mar 2006, 09:44
Talking about NCL needing a larger variety of destinations, does anyone think that this summer the market for certain destinations has been flooded by the locos and charters?

Take ALC, bearing in mind most charter companies offer seat only fares, as well as the loco carriers,

Easyjet 9 flights per week
Thomsonfly 5 flights per week
Other charters 6 flights per week, in addition to
Jet2.com's 7 MJV flights per week, which also can be used for the ALC area.

Palma

Easyjet, 8 flights per week
Thomsonfly, 8 flights per week
Other charters, 6 flights per week.

Both Malaga and Ibiza are much the same, surely, lets take ALC, can roughly 4200 seats per week be filled? Same with PMI, though even more seats?

LBA
26th Mar 2006, 11:29
Well if you look at ALC from LBA, we have:

14 flights a week from Jet2 Boeing 737-300 (Which could also be upgraded to a 757 if needed)
7 flights a week from Jet2 to Murcia Boeing 737-300 (Also could be 757)
1 Thomsonfly 757 a week to ALC, and one Astraeus 737-700 to ALC.

So look at it that way, if LBA can shift roughly 3200 (Could be more if 757 used,) seats, then surely NCL can shift roughly 4200?

And looking at Palma from LBA:

14 flights a week from Jet2 737-300 (Apparantly MAN-PMI will be operated by a 75', so would probably expect a 757 to be used from LBA)
3 flights a week from Thomsonfly 757
1 flight a week from Astraeus 73G, Air Europa 738, Futura 738 and Spanair MD83.

So thats looking at around 3500 seats a week, and thats without a 757 been used with Jet2!

Regional airports really seem to be able to fill the capacity on these sorts of routes.

Travel Agent
26th Mar 2006, 20:22
Costa Blanca and Majorca are two of the most popular tourist destinations for short breaks and holidays, Costa Blanca has a huge amount of ex pats or 2nd homes/holiday homes buyers too. There is certainley demand I woulkd say 1 in 4 enquiries I get at work are for Benidorm or Majorca.

transwede
27th Mar 2006, 08:40
Ok, just my mind working overtime.

Anyone else realise Air Scotland making a return to NCL? Wed evening departure to PMI at 2030!

XLA's leased MD83 will also appear, as it seems the 737-400 a/c does not arrive until mid-may so other a/c from the fleet are being used.

HH6702
27th Mar 2006, 09:47
EEZ will be a one off.

two flights in june for readers holidays

daf1e
27th Mar 2006, 17:46
Air Scotland are operating the flights on behalf of Sunways Holidays which is the trading name of Northern Holidays Ltd.

transwede
27th Mar 2006, 19:17
I see flybe have announced services from EDI to NQY, possibly a future NCL destination, as well as the rumoured INV service?

Jamesair
28th Mar 2006, 09:03
Pure speculation but assuming Eastern's new Cardiff route uses a new NCL based aircraft, operating at 3 rotations daily, would this leave a gap for a flight to a new destination i.e. Inverness plus additional opportunities at the weekend.

A similar situation took place at Leeds which led to an INV service.

heslop2006
28th Mar 2006, 15:00
So then, anyone know of any routes in talk for NCL?

transwede
28th Mar 2006, 17:25
I was under the impression that T3 were to operate the CWL flight, initially with only two flights daily, which does mean that the extra J41 that is going to be based will have free time to start additional services, possibly to a new destination with NWI and INV long speculated. It could however, be used as a spare aircraft or to up frequency on an existing route.

heslop2006 I think for the time being atleast that we will see consolidation on route expansion, atleast until the winter or next summers schedules. Over the past 18 months or so NCL has seen its biggest ever route expansion. From this forum alone I think it will be next summer, particularly on the charter side that we will see some new routes. The same old routes and rumours keep coming up again and again.

On another note, does anyone know which ground handling agent has gained the Flyjet contract for definite. Each agent is saying it is them at the minute.

And when does the self service multi-airline check in start at NCL? Thomsonfly, KLM, Air France have all signed up for the trials.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but SN Brussels are to no longer nightstop an a/c at NCL and are reducing frequency to 2 x daily.

Jamesair
28th Mar 2006, 20:58
TRANSWEDE

It does actually say on Eastern's website that it will operate a 3 x daily service on NCL - Cardiff although on the booking page it only shows 2 flights.
No map or timetable yet though.

Jamesair
28th Mar 2006, 21:08
If anyone is interested, the CAA have just published the 2005 International and Domestic pax figure totals for each individual airport on their website. Makes very interesting reading (shown against 2004 figures on each route).

CentreFix25
29th Mar 2006, 05:51
Interesting:
Alicante -16%
Palma -10%
Tenerife -10%

clearfinalsno1
29th Mar 2006, 10:01
Ryanair currently only do 3 routes from Newcastle, Dublin, Oslo Torp and Milan Bergamo. However if you go to the "Find lowest fair" link, the drop down list for destinations from Newcastle includes Verona Brescia (VBS). Is this a mistake or a new route to be announced?

Apologies if this has already been spotted or discussed.

GrahamK
29th Mar 2006, 10:46
I believe the Bergamo flights went to Verona when BGY was shut for maintenance. Or something like that :8

INTHEOUTBACK
29th Mar 2006, 10:48
transwede, FJE are to be handled by the circus. They got this contract by default I believe as Swissport said the did not want them:ooh:.

GrahamK
29th Mar 2006, 14:50
Air Scotland flight to Girona on Wednesdays

JKP505
29th Mar 2006, 21:48
Just been looking at the Thomsonfly website route map. If you hover over Newcastle, it shows routes to both Kefalonia and Kos, whilst a hover over Cologne/Bonn shows a route to NCL. I know that these flights aren't operating, but is it a suggestion that they could be in the pipeline?

CentreFix25
30th Mar 2006, 06:05
JKP505
Doubt it, probably just remnants of the HLX service last year.

s-tail
30th Mar 2006, 15:08
hh6702
why wont servisair need to take on more staff????:bored:

HH6702
31st Mar 2006, 12:19
Tour operators will be putting there programmes on sale over the next few weeks. This is what i think will happen tell me what you think?

Thomsonfly.com - still the same 3 aircraft maybe a few new routes

Thomas Cook - maybe an increase to 3 aircraft but unlikly. may have a few new routes on behalf of first choice holidays

Mytravel - 2nd aircraft to be based. This is the most likely out of all the based charter airlines at ncl

Excel - still 2 aircraft or 3 if you include flyjet. even if mytravel has more in-house flying excel's main tour operator is freedomflights.

I think we will have some new charter routes medium and long haul from most of the charter airlines.

JKP505
31st Mar 2006, 12:53
I think it will most likely be FCA basing an a/c at NCL rather than a 3rd from TCX. It would work quite well considering they already do a lot of sharing of flights, especially from NCL/GLA/BRS/CWL. It would enable FCA to operate to places like PMI, ALC, TFS, DLM, CFU, LCA etc. on their own accord, and share other 'thinner' routes like BOJ, FUE, MIR.

If FCA base, watch out for routes to MAH, CFU, EFL, ZTH, AGA, KGS, SKG, DLM, TFS, HER, ALC, PMI, LPA, IBZ & LCA...

I also wouldn't be surprised if MON took up a base at NCL, to operate for Avro, Cosmos, Olympic Holidays and a little bit ZB.

transwede
31st Mar 2006, 17:29
Routes wise youcould well be quite right, but as for FCA and MON basing an a/c, it is highly unlikely. Cosmos are not a big player in the NCL charter scene and Olympic primarily use XLA for their flying.

FJE will return to NCL as it is part of a 3 year contract with XLA, so maybe the same pattern as this year, though hopefully with aircraft from XLA's own fleet. Lets not forget that should all these tour operators expand like is being speculated there is a risk that the market could well be flooded at NCL.

heslop2006
31st Mar 2006, 18:40
When will it go on sale online then do you think?

Travel Agent
31st Mar 2006, 20:33
Summer brochures usually launch in May from big operators, with smaller ops following at later date.

EDIT: Just been reading todays Travel Weekly (31/03/06) and there is a full page article about Delta. And I quote

Airline Looks East

UK Regional Airports and eastern European routes are top of Delta Air Lines' wish-list as it plans future services.

The airline aims to launch from Belfast, Glasgow and Newcastle within two years and is considering a Gatwick-Salt Lake City service.

New York back on the cards? Or will CO get in there first?

heslop2006
1st Apr 2006, 07:46
Im interested, i'm going to investigate

airhumberside
1st Apr 2006, 08:44
I wouldnt expect DL in NCL unless they equip their B757s for transatlantic flights. I also expect DL will wait and see if MAN-JFK and EDI-ATL are a success first before further UK expansion. However, this would fit in with DL plans to expand internationally

transwede
2nd Apr 2006, 10:01
Haven't the airport stated that they are in discussions with CO to start a EWR service, hopefully in 2007 using transatlantic enabled 757 a/c? So DL serving JFK is possibly unlikely, unless they plan on a ATL route???

I think during 2007 we could possibly see the start of a US service, primarily to NYC. Zoom to YYZ is also quite likely, judging by the success of their routes from other regional UK airports. This developement is in addition to extra charter flights discussed already and the liklihood of new routes from the locos, with Jet2 ambitiously expanding and easyjet are due some extra services. Long lasting rumours regarding BE and FR could also resurface.

What the airport authority do need to consider, in my opinion is the lack of checkin and apron space at peak times of the day. Quite often all check in desks are occupied and parking stands are at a premium, especially with the growing number of based aircraft, which this summer stands at 26, not including the Emerald mail plane.

CentreFix25
2nd Apr 2006, 12:43
Haven't the airport stated that they are in discussions with CO to start a EWR service No, (might have been OneNorthEast).
I expect the new aircraft parking area on the South side will be used for Mail and freight freeing up some off pier stands North side. Aircraft parking won't be an issue.

HH6702
2nd Apr 2006, 15:01
DL might see this as a good start before CO.

I think that we will have one of them doing the route from may 2007.
Hopefully we will find out around july time again.

First choice

I cant see first choice setting up base again. it would cost them more money rather than asking TCX to bring a third instead.

FCA are bring a third aircraft to BRS instead of TCX bring 1 aircraft.

AIH849
2nd Apr 2006, 15:12
They are building 2 stands on the south side. They will be up to A320 capable but these are for the mail/freight flights.

In my opinion this is a good idea as it frees up 2 stands on the northside. Plus the mail vehicles wont have cross the apron to get them. Its a brill idea.

CentreFix25
2nd Apr 2006, 16:16
I cant see first choice setting up base again. it would cost them more money rather than asking TCX to bring a third instead.

FCA are bring a third aircraft to BRS instead of TCX bring 1 aircraft.
The Bristol thread seems to contradict what you are saying, Summer '07 at BRS seems to be 1xFCA 757 & 1xTCX A320. The deal between FCA and TCX for FCA to do TCX work out of BRS, and TCX to FCA work out of NCL seemed a wise move. Now it looks to me like a contract has ended or they they now want to do their own thing, but TCX opening a base at BRS wont do FCA any favours. If FCA don't like this they could always take their NCL flying back off TCX.
With regard to JFK, you guys have got to get real, it's not gonna happen as long as the conditions AA stated for cancelling still exist.

10 DME ARC
2nd Apr 2006, 16:29
South side, off Golf, will start with 3 stands all capable of parking up to B738. Normally they will house the JEM 748 plus the two J2 a/c, which will be towed North side each morning. Should be operational by end of May.
Night stoppers this summer;
6 x Easy
2 x TCX
1 x MYT
3 x TOM (2X B752 1X B733)
3 x Excel (1xB734, 2xB752 Finnair/Flyjet)
2 x J2
4 x EZE (3xJS41 + 1x D328)
1 x 748
2 x BA LL/KK
1 x KLM
1 x BZH (Airfrance)
=26 a/c with 29 stands!

AIH849
4th Apr 2006, 14:41
Excel are having 2 a/c the FJE 757 isnt just doing Excel flights

GrahamK
4th Apr 2006, 14:51
With regard to JFK, you guys have got to get real, it's not gonna happen as long as the conditions AA stated for cancelling still exist.

JFK could still happen, but it won't be with AA.

10 DME ARC
4th Apr 2006, 14:52
I am sorry but I think you will find FJE are contracted to Excel,for the next three years! Excel are also operating their own B734 and wet leasing the Finair B752 again, in years gone by Airscan only ever operated the Finair 75 for Excel!

CentreFix25
4th Apr 2006, 17:50
JFK could still happen, but it won't be with AA.Don't hold your breath.

I am sorry but I think you will find FJE are contracted to Excel,for the next three years! Excel are also operating their own B734 and wet leasing the Finair B752 again, in years gone by Airscan only ever operated the Finair 75 for Excel!Spot on, i booked on XL.com and i'm flying with FlyJet.

AIH849
5th Apr 2006, 14:23
I am sorry but I think you will find FJE are contracted to Excel,for the next three years! Excel are also operating their own B734 and wet leasing the Finair B752 again, in years gone by Airscan only ever operated the Finair 75 for Excel!

Why then are some routes accomodating airtours pax then

10 DME ARC
5th Apr 2006, 14:53
AIH849
Alot of charter flights have seats bought by a number of different tour operators, FJE whilst operating for Excel don't just have say Libra holidays, they also operate for Freedom flights, Olympic, Kosmar and Airtours! All of which will have deals with Excel, who charter the aircraft.

Jamesair
5th Apr 2006, 16:02
If you check on the Aiport website and look at the Summer Charter Timetable, it lists all of the tour operators involved in each flight operated.

go-egnt
6th Apr 2006, 10:22
I know its still ealry for this guys, but..........

Was wondering weather if anyone has more information about these proposed new long haul services starting then. Where to exactly(destinations), times of day, operator, and aircraft.

I know it is probably just rumors, but after all that is what this sit is all about, an I would love to know more.

Thanks

GrahamK
6th Apr 2006, 12:59
Just announced for winter 06/07
NCL-AGP 5 x weekly
NCL-ALC 4 x weekly
NCL-TFS 3 x weekly

transwede
7th Apr 2006, 18:24
GrahamK indeed TOM are continuing their loco programme through the winter, as 1 737 will be based alongside the normal 757. FUE will also be served for the first time by TOM and they will also operate the LYS, TRN, SZG and INN ski flights.

go-egnt if you look back on this thread you'll see some discussion on the rumoured long haul routes, but my guesses are possibly Cancun and Hurghada???

INTHEOUTBACK
9th Apr 2006, 16:29
See the circus has lost another contract. HLX to go to swissport from the end of april:ooh: :eek:. Looks like its going to be a quiet summer. Nothing to do with the service though, its purley contractual i.e. cheaper to go next door:hmm:. Have swissport really got the staff and equipment to cope with what appears to be a very busy summer program:suspect:?

transwede
9th Apr 2006, 19:13
Only time will tell, probably in peak summer when flights are full and passengers are wanting to be checked in.

Swissport

Thomsonfly, Thomas Cook, Excel, LTE, Eurocypria, Air Europa, Air Malta, Sunexpress, Air Transat, Monarch, BMI, Flybe, Jet2, BA, HLX, Eastern, KLM, LH, SK, WF (may have omitted some?)

Servisair

Mytravel, flyjet, Onur Air, Helios, Futura, Easy, AF, SN and AWW.

RobT100
9th Apr 2006, 22:31
The Bristol thread seems to contradict what you are saying, Summer '07 at BRS seems to be 1xFCA 757 & 1xTCX A320. The deal between FCA and TCX for FCA to do TCX work out of BRS, and TCX to FCA work out of NCL seemed a wise move. Now it looks to me like a contract has ended or they they now want to do their own thing, but TCX opening a base at BRS wont do FCA any favours. If FCA don't like this they could always take their NCL flying back off TCX.

Dont know what all the fuss is about really, NCL would be much better having sub-charter planes in basing at destination, likes of FUA, IWD, JKK, AEA, etc...etc
The place isnt big enough for all these "bases" !

GrahamK
10th Apr 2006, 08:22
Which is why the Thomas Cook, Thomsonfly, Excel, MyTravel flights all go out empty :rolleyes:
Which is why Thomsonfly are adding a 3rd based a/c :rolleyes:
Which is why FlyJet are now basing a 757 all year round :rolleyes:

One suspects you may be jealous of the success that NCL is having at the moment :}

RobT100
10th Apr 2006, 20:46
not jealous at all - I was born in wallsend and have very strong family connections with newcastle
what I am suggesting is that this airport sticks to what its good at - because it is good at what it did 5 yrs ago
All this playing "big airport", it really is cr@p, NCL is a regoinal, and they're trying too hard now - If you want to play big boys then get to MAN or EDI. Seriously Im a geordie through and through, but for goodness sake, leave out the tripe, its plain stupid

crewboi83
11th Apr 2006, 00:33
RobT100
I disagree, Im a geordie myself, i used to work in swissport/grounstar check in from 2001 onwards, and in the last 5yrs the growth has been unreal! i remember sitting checking in ba flights and there was only really the odd gill air, air france and KLM going out at the same time. the odd charter of course in the summer.
i went back to check-in in 2004 for 6 months between jobs and i couldnt believe how much its changed.
Personally i think they are spending too much money on shops where i think it would be better spent on a new terminal, or adding airbridges to the existing 2!!!
I work out of MAN now for a fair sized airline that has just opened up a base in NCL, and im telling you i would have no problems transfering home, infact have toyed with the idea many times
Keep going NCL!!! i speak for many of us when i say im dead proud of the growth of the north east
Oh and well done to Swissport for handling so many airlines, when i was there circusair held the majority of airlines. Seems they have all experienced circusairs appauling customer service skills and switched!

CentreFix25
11th Apr 2006, 07:04
See your still talking rubbish Rob.

RobT100
11th Apr 2006, 08:24
See your still biting CentreFix :}

CrewBoi - some good points there mate, especially what your saying about the shops and 2 airbridges. This is more what I meant - they need to get the basics in place before they expand like they have

Jamesair
11th Apr 2006, 10:50
The BOH thread is saying that Easyjet have a BOH - NCL route pencilled in for Autumn 07/Spring 08

sunshine79
11th Apr 2006, 12:04
Do you really think BOH-NCL could work, when T3 and BE fly to SOU, which isn't too far away?

Jamesair
11th Apr 2006, 13:33
Not sure really...I suppose there is a big leisure market to BOH in the summer but as you say SOU is very well served by Eastern (business) 3 daily and Flybe (leisure and business) 3 daily.... how easy is it to get from SOU to BOH if you don't have a car?

FLYboh
11th Apr 2006, 15:25
You catch the airport bus from the travel interchange in Bournemouth centre and your nomore than 15 mins from the airport.

I can't see a 156 seat A319 making any money on this route. You'd need a 50 or 70 seat aircraft at most. SOU has domestic routes pretty much sewn up for this part of the UK. I think the talk of an Easy base at BOH of up to 6 aircraft is a little out of proportion! :confused:

Jamesair
11th Apr 2006, 15:49
AirSouthwest is also rumoured to be interested in BOH - NCL....smaller aircraft might make more sense.

skyman771
11th Apr 2006, 16:53
:}
.. especially what your saying about the shops and 2 airbridges. This is more what I meant - they need to get the basics in place before they expand like they have
Well as a regular user, the case for more airbridges is accademic!, really totally hacked off no. of times have to get on that bl**dy stupid bus which takes you on a 3 minute ride when arriving at a stand adjacent to the peir. Oh! and to any critic, yes it would probably take one same time to walk down the peir if indeed there was an airbridge on site, BUT you will have not taken in the time for the *Tour Bus* to arrive, stand around waiting for Mrs Cannybody and her tribe of kids to board, prior to departure. No business preference afforded here on arrival.
Further point, not much use the Loco's prefering two door exits when all it does is feed punters into same bus, or if two buses, as they simply both depart at same time anyway.:{
I note that even MME's expansion plans, if they ever sort out access issues cater for four airbridges.:yuk:

RobT100
12th Apr 2006, 22:55
Well, yes, i can see what your saying about having to catch a bus around the airbridges, but really it is a joke aint it.
The bigger joke I have is I saw CentreFix25 and GrahamK stood at the approach by the A1 with their binoculors in the air both taking notes for their spotters forums :{

10 DME ARC
13th Apr 2006, 08:57
Rob T100 - You seem to have a problem with NCL, not only do you slag the airport off in this forum but you have started doing the same in the DTV forum as well? Did we leave the airport un-voluntarily at some point or have you never been short listed for a job here??
The airport is not trying to be a 'Manchester', it is purely trying to bring some choice of direct destinations to the people of the North East! I like many other do not like the 2-3 hour drive to Manchester, especially after a long haul flight. I would gladly take a 2-3 minute bus journey round the pier if it meant I flew from my local airport and did not have to drive 2-3 hours to and from Manchester!!
I would suggest we try to be less critical of our local airport. I for one have travelled through much worse airports, even ones, if you believe Rob, we should be travelling from because the people of the NorthEast do not deserve direct air links!

Maude Charlee
13th Apr 2006, 09:03
Newcastle simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support their lofty ambitions, regardless what the travelling public may want. The organisation leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Anyone who doesn't believe it, just observe what happens when they have as few as 4 or more a/c off pier all requiring turnarounds at the same time. Total meltdown. Frankly it's a piss poor performance and it just wouldn't happen at a 'major' airport.

Nothing against NCL, but they really need to learn to walk before they try and run.

skyman771
13th Apr 2006, 13:09
Newcastle simply doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support their lofty ambitions, regardless what the travelling public may want. The organisation leaves quite a lot to be desired.
Anyone who doesn't believe it, just observe what happens when they have as few as 4 or more a/c off pier all requiring turnarounds at the same time. Total meltdown. Frankly it's a piss poor performance and it just wouldn't happen at a 'major' airport.
Nothing against NCL, but they really need to learn to walk before they try and run.
I condone what you say to a point, and NCL's organisation does leave something to be desired. Such a situation will likely happen in any organisation experiencing the growth that has occoured over the last two years, given lead times to raise finance and carry out development.
My issue is, where is the evidence of future planning?, of which the lack of airbridges is a prime example. There was I believe some talk of the possibility of a second pier sometime in the distant future, but is this realisic ? Most people can put up with some inconvenience if they know that it is for the better. Personally I derive little comfort when standing arround in a newcastle airport noddy bus, as I know that little is to change !
As an overview I believe that there is a finite limit imposed on the development at NCL and it's simply down to lack of space, there are simply not enough hectares of land on the current site, and this lack of space leads to incremental development costs for any new project, as not only does one have the new build cost, but also significant costs attributable to rearranging existing infrastructure. You also have the issue of a relatively short runway with a small hill at the end, to which nothing can practically be done. Management simply have to hope that the likes of the 787's of the future come with enhanced performance or suffer more restrictions.
Finally I did not completely agree with Maudes comments about problems of 4 or more aircraft off pier & problems re turnarounds not happening at a major airport......... he clearly has not had the misfortune of suffering an early morning arrival at LHR !

10 DME ARC
13th Apr 2006, 13:26
Get a life people, in the last year I have flown from Manchester twice, one long haul and one IT, the long haul we arrived 0640 and had to wait 40min for a stand! The IT arrived back at 0130 we waited over an hour for our luggage! Then how often do you have to wait for stands at Heathrow or Gatwick?
Can I also say the airport does not ground handle aircraft other than busing handling agents do that, I have parked off pier twice of late and only waited a few minutes each time? The airport have also invested in some new larger bus's in the last few weeks.
I spend most of my working day watching a/c in and out so where's the delays? I am not saying all is perfect but which airport is?

So back to the main point, the airport in not trying to be something it shouldn't! Its a European regional airport with low cost, it has facilities that a lot of low cost airports have not! It gets excellent feed back from customers and has won awards. I have travelled the world over, find me an airport which is perfect!

Jamesair
13th Apr 2006, 15:41
Eastern have now posted the NCL - Cardiff timetable. It is twice daily, in spite of the 3 x daily announcement.
D NCL 0650 and 1700 M - F
A NCL 0950 and 2000 M - F

This leaves an interesting possibility for something between say 1030 and 1600....any ideas?

AIH849
13th Apr 2006, 15:54
There are plans in place to extend the airport further this is why the fuel farm has moved. There is definately the market at newcastle to fly to the like of the carribean mexico north america (NY for eg). And moaning because you have to get the bus to the terminal come on stop being childish. Would u rather walk in the gale force winds and pouring rain, NO!, im sure you wouldnt. So there are also plans to build another pier adjacent to the current one. this will incorporate stands 13,14,15,16, and 17 up to now as far as i know.

skyman771
13th Apr 2006, 16:06
You are all entitled to your views, and some of you may even be comfortable at the current position, but call the airport European regional or whatever, two stands with airbridges out of 25+ really does not wear with me.
Just by digressing from this point, onto how good other areas may be ( I don't dispute this), doesn't make the situation any better.

GrahamK
13th Apr 2006, 16:22
From what I understand, BRS has NO airbridges at all, yet they have a NYC flight.
What people should be worried about though, is why pax figures on the scheduled flights are falling.
A quick look at the airport website shows:

March 2006
Scheduled Domestic 154341
Scheduled International 150227

March 2005
Scheduled Domestic 164447
Scheduled International 144466

So, altogether scheduled pax
March 2006 = 304568
March 2005 = 308913

A decline of over 4000, despite the fact there is more scheduled flights this year, than there was last. Which suggests loads from NCL are on the decline. So instead of worrying about the facilities or future expansion, perhaps better advertising of the routes NCL currently has would be a much better area to look at, to stop this decline in numbers.
BRS has overtaken NCL in annual pax figures recently, so perhaps the Newcastle management should have a look at why Bristol is so successful, in order to get NCL back on track.

Just my 2 pence :ok:

mmeteesside
13th Apr 2006, 16:31
Could it be little brother down the road knicking pax? :)

Seriously though, I don't find NCL too bad airside, within the terminal.....but when you go through onto the pier, it is bloody awful! Very cramped, hardly any space to move! Especially when you have A330's to Orlando/Caribbean going off the end of the pier, it's not like scheduled A330's where you only have 220-ish pax, you have 370-ish on the charters! :uhoh:

Another reason could be (very small reason, but still present) that family want to come to wave dad/mum or whoever off, however, once checked in at NCL, you have no option but to go through security to airside! No facilities to wait around with family etc, no seats or anything! Compare this to MME where you can sit and wait around!

There are good points about NCL though!

mmeteesside

transwede
13th Apr 2006, 17:01
Newcastle must be doing something right, as a hell of alot of growth has been experienced from airlines over recent years. So surely conditions cannot be that bad and with reference to airbridges many airlines do not want to use airbridges as it lengthens the turnaround. Look at the number of airports in Europe that do not use airbridges for all of their flights, even some huge hubs use remote parking so really it is not an issue. I do however agree about the decor in the pier. I sometimes think that it would be better if the interior walls were knocked down, making it open and airy and creating more space for seating as has quite rightly been said when a full A330, even a full 757 is boarding from the bottom end there are not enough seats in the respective lounges.

On another note is it true that Servisair have lost HLX and AF to Swissport?

Maybe in the gap between CWL rotations, Eastern could start INV or NWI?

10 DME ARC
13th Apr 2006, 17:08
Let’s clear up some points;
Air bridges – Yes we don’t have many but who would use them? BA and Britannia at the moment, yes others do but its costs extra to use an air bridge so the likes of Easy wouldn’t! By the way plans are in place to put more in.

Busing from pier stands – This occurs when the likes of Easy arrive international or domestic and depart the opposite i.e. arr from BFS depart to BCN so is parked on an international stand so the arriving pax’s are bussed or vice versa! The airport has to be divided into Domestic, Arriving International and Departing international and never the three to meet!! Not airport instructions but DoT/immigration rules! Add to that the requirement for flights to/from Ireland (north and South) and you get a very complex situation.

Expansion – The airport is always expanding; new stands south side, new control tower, new hotel and this will go on. However the airport has to measure expansion with income, it does not have a bottomless pit of money. The people of the NE want low cost flights but low cost flights do not directly earn the airport a lot of money, hence the need to earn money else where for example parking and shop spend. Plus some expansion does not see direct dividends i.e. our new tower however much it is needed. But you will see further expansion over the next few years don’t worry.

Space – The airport has a lot of space to work with, you may not know but the airport has always had a policy of buying land around it when it comes to market. This you will find means the airport safely owns most of the near land around it and hence can expand subject to planning of course!

Runway – The runway is adequate at the moment. East coast USA and the Middle East being easily possible. New aircraft types are making this easier just look at the A330 in recent years. The cost also again comes into this roughly £1 million per linear metre, think about it! However again the airport has plans should the need arise to do this.

Running an airport is very complex and costly every thing has to be balanced with safety and regulations always coming first. So next time you are on your ‘simply ridiculous’ two minute ride around the apron think why you are doing it! Rant over!

skyman771
13th Apr 2006, 20:19
Let’s clear up some points;
Air bridges – Yes we don’t have many but who would use them? BA and Britannia at the moment, yes others do but its costs extra to use an air bridge so the likes of Easy wouldn’t! By the way plans are in place to put more in.
Busing from pier stands – This occurs when the likes of Easy arrive . So next time you are on your ‘simply ridiculous’ two minute ride around the apron think why you are doing it! Rant over!
Hang on a bit !, you can put your points as to airport administration from the admin side quite succinctly, and to be honest perhaps thats part of the problem.
All I'm saying is that there are not enough airbridges at Newcastle, the point seems pretty accademic to me. I didn't say there should be a large number & quite understand the necessity for a significant number of remote stands. You can go on about airport X anywhere & their particular situation. If there is a trend towards remote parking at other airports it's simply because it is not practical to build more airbridges as the stands by definition do not have direct access to piers. What you have at NCL is a decent ? pier with plenty of scope for more airbridges (if not the funds).
So no airbridges at BRS, that does not make it a better airport or provide happier & more satisfied punters.
Finally to pick up on your point re two minute bus rides, it may be two minutes, with a ten minute wait for boarding / departure! Still it does provide jobs for bus drivers, more fuel & capital expenditure on ever more buses.
You can never win an argument that from a passengers point of view an airbridge is more acceptable than a bus ride, albeit most passengers, myself included appreciate that in the tight ecconomics of running an airport they are not always available. A response from an administrative perspective to justify as to why there is no need for them simply does not wash with me.

fl dutchman
13th Apr 2006, 22:19
From what I understand, BRS has NO airbridges at all, yet they have a NYC flight.
What people should be worried about though, is why pax figures on the scheduled flights are falling.
A quick look at the airport website shows:
March 2006
Scheduled Domestic 154341
Scheduled International 150227
March 2005
Scheduled Domestic 164447
Scheduled International 144466
So, altogether scheduled pax
March 2006 = 304568
March 2005 = 308913
A decline of over 4000, despite the fact there is more scheduled flights this year, than there was last. Which suggests loads from NCL are on the decline. So instead of worrying about the facilities or future expansion, perhaps better advertising of the routes NCL currently has would be a much better area to look at, to stop this decline in numbers.
BRS has overtaken NCL in annual pax figures recently, so perhaps the Newcastle management should have a look at why Bristol is so successful, in order to get NCL back on track.
Just my 2 pence :ok:

Could this be due to Easter 2005 being the last weekend of March 2005, wheras Easter 2006 is the first weekend of April 2006

Jamesair
14th Apr 2006, 00:20
With 37,500 pax scheduled to leave NCL this weekend, the timing of Easter is very important when comparing the stats year to year.

CentreFix25
14th Apr 2006, 06:30
The model that is 'low cost' works on tight margins, the airlines coming to NCL are getting in at next to no cost and therefore not a great deal of profit to the airport. The name of the game is to shift as many pax as possible and make a little bit of cash off each one, but that little bit probably isnt enough to upgrade the whole airport in one go. I did hear a year or so ago about a pier refurbishment, but nothing recently. On the pier subject, which regional airports in the UK, serving mainly the low cost model have got airbridges? not many i think! Its about priorities, money first.

10 DME ARC
14th Apr 2006, 09:08
Skyman
First of all thank you for editing my post. I can tell you that my opinion comes from a very operational back ground; it also comes with over 25 year’s experience of a changing civil aviation background all over the UK.
If you had read my post you would have realised that more air bridges would not get rid of the busing of pax’s, read again, you only have to look at the problems with BA 767 arrival on stand 10 to realise these things are not always within the airports control! The airport would love nothing more than to reduce the amount of busing, like you said new bus’s and drivers do not come cheap!
I do agree we could do with a few more air bridges and as I have said this is in the planning, we could also do with a second pier again all in the planning, but like I said you have to balance all of things within the funds available!
It would seem that you and other people posting here would like to go back to an airport without low cost, with an air bridge on every stand, but who would be using it? Do you think that if low cost had arrived at DTV(!?!?) first that pax’s would be still using IT’s and schedules out of NCL in the same numbers?!?! Low cost is here to stay and a successful airport is one that changes to meet the new demands!

transwede
14th Apr 2006, 17:30
It is true that low cost is here to stay and I at NCL, they have a happy medium at the minute. This whole big discussion on airbridges is a little unwarranted. Airlines are free to use them at NCL for a charge, the fact is most airlines operating prefer steps at NCL with the exception of BA and TOM who pay to use the airbridges. Should the developement occur of a second pier and more stands then maybe there will be more airbridges, however it is generally full service scheduled carriers who tend to use them at airports and the types of a/c these airlines operate into NCL ate too small to use airbridges, which leaves generally the charter companys to use them, as loco's have already stated at every airport they serve that preferably they like steps. Maybe if there was no charge in the use of airbridges then charter carriers like XLA, MYT, OHY, AEA etc will use them at NCL . I have to say that when the new pier is built, I hope it is better designed and decorated than the current one and does have jettys, which means handling agents would need to train all despatchers on their operation.

Word also has it that the tables are possibly about to turn in the ongoing Servisair/Swissport contract grabbing. Possibly a few new airlines coming maybe????

starship
15th Apr 2006, 00:08
Passengers like the airbridge, but, the longer we can operate on a stand without an airbridge the better as it only slows down the disembarkation and the embarkation of passengers on a standard one hour turnaround. I don't see anything great about having an airbridge, apart from if it is raining! If we are looking for a slick operation this summer, a 757 on a one hour turnaround using an airbridge is not it.

BahrainLad
15th Apr 2006, 11:10
The only reason Stansted has airbridges is because it was built first as a full-cost airport that sat empty until the lowcos arrived. Compare it with Luton.

An airbridge costs +£750k for the machinery and then there is installation, modification of existing infrastructure, strengthening etc. etc. That's a hefty investment (probably about £1m in all) when you consider the cost of the other capital works the airport has recently completed (International Check-In Hall, Level 2 works etc.)

So it's all about getting the most efficient use of resources. I can understand people (spotters mainly ;) ) wanting a brand spanking style Dubai/HKG/LHR Terminal-5 equivalent on their doorstep, but you need to be realistic!

Spare a thought for us here in Bahrain, where an off-airbridge (even we only have 7!) arrival in August means climbing down the stairs after 6 hours in a 777 in 45C heat!

BL - flying LHR-NCL tomorrow and LHR security will certainly be the nightmare component of that trip!

transwede
15th Apr 2006, 11:36
Newcastle has managed perfectly well for years now without the use of airbridges. I am sure it is not a priority when airlines look to start flying from NCL, indeed speedy turnarounds is what they are after, in order to maximise flying time for aircraft. I agree with what starship has said, a full 757 say can be turned around quicker with 2 sets of steps compared with one airbridge at door 1/2L.

Does anyone know if Travelcity Direct plan to reinstate their SFB service for Summer 2007? According to Airliner World they could not find an aircraft this summer to operate it, but possibly they could find one for next summer, though I have doubts wether a 747 would be viable, maybe a Air Atlanta 767 in TCD colours for regional departures?

Jamesair
15th Apr 2006, 15:30
A rather strangely worded story appeared in the local press about KLM increasing capacity on the NCL - AMS route by 11% with the introduction of more 737/400 aircraft. 7 aircraft were mentioned in relation to NCL but a quick look at the timetable on the KLM website shows 3 flights operated by KLM CityHopper and 2 by KLM mainline. Presumably the mainline flights will be 737 ops.

Can anyone thow any more light on this?

HH6702
15th Apr 2006, 19:23
Summer 2007

on sale this thursday

HH6702
15th Apr 2006, 20:05
First Choice Holidays Summer 2007 on sale now

By the look of things they are using TCX for there flights again. i will keep checking though.

fl dutchman
15th Apr 2006, 20:31
A rather strangely worded story appeared in the local press about KLM increasing capacity on the NCL - AMS route by 11% with the introduction of more 737/400 aircraft. 7 aircraft were mentioned in relation to NCL but a quick look at the timetable on the KLM website shows 3 flights operated by KLM CityHopper and 2 by KLM mainline. Presumably the mainline flights will be 737 ops.
Can anyone thow any more light on this?
Previously there where 4 flts by city hopper F 70/F 100 plus 1x 737 mainline
Now its going to be 3 by city hopper F 70/ F 100 plus 2x 737 mainline, hence increased capacity almost to coincide with the JET 2 launch on the same route.

heslop2006
16th Apr 2006, 14:19
When will Thomson and Thomas cook etc, start to sell Summer 2007?

Travel Agent
19th Apr 2006, 10:03
Cancun from next May with Thomas Cook :D

Kev 1
19th Apr 2006, 10:35
Travel Agent you have a PM

nclairportfan
19th Apr 2006, 15:23
It's all gone very quiet in relation to new routes. Does anyone have any other news? I was hoping 2006 would bring us:

- A further EZY aircraft with some more routes.
- Further expansion from Jet2 (in addition to what we already have).
- One or two more routes from Ryanair.
- Double daily Copenhagen with SAS.
- Flybe to ABZ and NWI and perhaps some other routes (i.e. French destinations).
- T3 to INV.
- Some further routes to Eastern Europe (we must be one of the few large regional airports without a route to Poland now).
- An announcement about a New York service.
- I had hoped WOW would take over the CWL route so that there would be connections to NQY but this doesnt appear to be on the cards after T3's announcement.

Anyone heard anything about any of these?

Jamesair
19th Apr 2006, 16:10
I read on i.c.newcastle today that the airport where in discussions with interested airlines on a New York link but no deal has been done yet.

NCLRULES
19th Apr 2006, 18:52
nclairportfan

''Further expansion from Jet2'' - I don't think there will be more expansion from Jet2 for little. Most of there smaller bases, excluding Edinburgh, has been built up to 7 destinations, with Belfast, Newcastle and Blackpool.

''An announcement about a New York service'' - If it was to go ahead, like the AA service, it will probably be announced in the July/Aug/Sept period.

''Flybe to ABZ and NWI'' - Flybe are looking at the possiblilty of a Norwich service, we just have to wait - their new aircraft are due for arrival soon!

Travel Agent
20th Apr 2006, 10:49
Update on Cancun. It is not showing on Thomas Cook's reservation system or indeed the TC website. Spoke to Thomas Cook today and they said that not all flights had been loaded to the system yet so may be a delay before available to book :(

fl dutchman
20th Apr 2006, 11:29
Update on Cancun. It is not showing on Thomas Cook's reservation system or indeed the TC website. Spoke to Thomas Cook today and they said that not all flights had been loaded to the system yet so may be a delay before available to book :(
Are the 2007 brochures out and if so is it not featured in there?

HH6702
20th Apr 2006, 11:57
Only first choice is out in the travel agents.

nothing new in there for next summer

GrahamK
20th Apr 2006, 12:15
Cancun showing as a Sunday flight with Monarch. 6th May-28th October (or thereabouts)

Travel Agent
20th Apr 2006, 12:22
Only first choice is out in the travel agents.
nothing new in there for next summer

Thomas Cook launched today, I recieved file copies yesterday as my company is telesales only ;)

NCL-06
20th Apr 2006, 15:09
so has this route definately been confirmed?
and are there going to be any other new charter destinations from NCL in 2007?

Travel Agent
20th Apr 2006, 15:49
Its in the Thomas Cook Faraway brochure but not showing on the systems yet, I am awaiting a reply from T Cook.

Travel Agent
21st Apr 2006, 09:34
Bad news on Cancun I'm afraid, I have spoke to Thomas Cook Holidays and they have advised that it is a mis-print in the brochures and that it is not planned to operate at the moment :(

transwede
21st Apr 2006, 15:10
It seems strange that last year Thomson offered Cancun for sale only to later say it was a brochure error and now Thomas Cook are doing the same? What is it with long haul out of NCL, first JFK now Cancun? Personally I think it would be worth giving somewhere like CUN a go, I think it would go down a storm just like POP has.

Jamesair
21st Apr 2006, 16:39
I fully agree, a place like Cancun would go down a storm with NCL pax....I also think that Dubai (Business and Leisure) would be a huge success.

Look what happened when Sharm-el-Sheik was introduced....pax figures and increases in flights this season speaks volumes to the tour operators.

We are being left behind by airports such as Bristol in the longhaul stakes.

PS ......The March International route statistics are available today on the CAA site

fl dutchman
21st Apr 2006, 20:20
jamesair]

Where on the CAA site do you go to get Pax nos on routes ??

MerchantVenturer
21st Apr 2006, 20:41
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=80

Click on UK Provisional Airport Stats for last couple of months and UK Airport Stats for earlier periods - at top left of the page.

You will be presented simply with airport sizes and international routes in the Provisional section, but with a list of all sorts of information in the Airports section.

You have to scroll down years and months. Having selected the month click it and then scroll down the list of headings.

International Route analysis and Domestic Route analysis are the sections to read for route loadings. They are at tables 12.1 and 12.2.

Read it in PDF format, the other is next to impossible to make sense of.

fl dutchman
21st Apr 2006, 20:51
Thank you for that information

RobT100
21st Apr 2006, 23:27
We are being left behind by airports such as Bristol in the longhaul stakes.

What complete tosh - NCL is a regional, furthest they should be going is PMI

Jamesair
22nd Apr 2006, 00:56
Is Bristol not a Regional airport then?

transwede
22nd Apr 2006, 10:42
RobT100 what complete non-sense you speak. Bristol is comparable to NCL, both are fastly expanding regional airports, which up until a few years back did only go as far as the likes of PMI, but look at them both now. The expansion is not only good for the airport itself but for the local economy, providing jobs, income from inbound tourists etc. Up until 5 years ago there were very few airlines at NCL with their own staff, not with the likes of Easy, Jet2, Thomsonfly, XL and Flyjet opening new services the amount of jobs created speaks for itself. Jamesair was quite right in saying that NCL is lagging behind Bristol in the long haul market. BRS has NYC, BJL, and now long haul Caribbean courtesy of FCA. NCL has a very similar market to BRS so why is longhaul not a possibility from NCL. True that smaller regional airports may not sustain weekly or higher frequencies but with BRS having a fortnightly operation to the Caribbean, it goes to show that this kind of operation is viable from regional airports. Besides what is classed as a regional airport, with both NCL and BRS handling 5 million pax they are rapidly becoming international departure points, with NCL alone having a choice of over 85 destinations direct, a little more from BRS.

It is very true, that when SSH was introduced that there was an untapped market, hence greater frequency. This shows that there is demand and possibly HRG etc could be another popular choice, given the opportunity by the major tour operators. POP has also proved a hit.

So some on the likes of Thomas Cook, Thomson, MyTravel etc give the Northeasta chance of longhaul sunshine from the doorstep.

richardhall99
22nd Apr 2006, 11:20
I was thinking about an earlier discussion that was mentioned on here about a new peir being created where the old fuel farm was opposite the exisiting pier.
I realised that surely this would result in a complete redesign of the exisiting terminal. This is due to the fact domestic arriving pax will have to cross through international passport control to get to the domestic arrivalls hall unless they go through a maze of stairs and corridoors which wont go down well with the pax. The only thing I can think is that they are bussed across or an additional domestic arrivals hall is added...but then you have the confusion for meeters and greeters as to which all they will end up at!

CentreFix25
22nd Apr 2006, 12:19
I shouldnt take any notice of him, he always talks rubbish (is unable to find anyone that agrees with his ideas or back them up). He has openly admitted on this forum that his aim is to wind people up. The best way, in my opinion is to leave him alone and dont reply to any of his ludicrous posts.

MerchantVenturer
22nd Apr 2006, 13:06
I agree that BRS and NCL are very similar in size (albeit NCL is physically bigger) and potential catchment.

However, as someone who has used BRS a lot over many, many years I'm not sure that it is a beacon of long-haul flights.

It is true that it has the daily EWR flight and 2 x weekly to BJL in winter - it also had up to 5 x weekly Egypt charters last winter, although I'm not sure they count as long-haul.

However, it hasn't had the regular Toronto and Florida flights of a lot of regional airports for a long time. The much smaller EXT down the road has had a weekly summer Toronto charter for many years and this summer CWL (with currently just a third of BRS's annual pax figure) will have a weekly Zoom flight to both Toronto and Vancouver and weekly Thomsonfly flights to Florida (I suspect there will also be another operator), Mexico and Dominican Republic.

It has been pointed out that First Choice is to start fortnightly flights to Cuba and Dominican Republic and a weekly flight to Florida, but most if not all will operate via another UK airport because of BRS's short runway.

So, compared to BRS, I don't think NCL is doing too badly in the long-haul stakes.

As for direct destinations, the BRS website boasts 'over 100'. I haven't bothered to count although by mid-summer when the new easyJet routes come on stream there will be 57 scheduled destinations (but not all daily).

Travel Agent
22nd Apr 2006, 15:26
According to Travel Weekly Thomson will launch Luxor flights for next summer - but we will have to wait and see - I'm gutted about Cancun, it would be a really popular destination, we do loads of bookings from North East customers who have to travel to Manchester or Gatwick.

heslop2006
22nd Apr 2006, 17:00
Hi, I just looked in the back of Thomas Cooks tropical shores brochure and it says CUN will be opertaed by MON on Sunday, I hope this will go ahead, we need more long haul

simonwa
22nd Apr 2006, 17:44
Does anyone know if the Cancun flight is actually operating?? It is featured in the Thomas Cook Tropical Shores & Sunset Summer Sun 2007 brochures as a Sunday flight departing at 1240 with MON. Yet you can't book any holidays if you try booking through thomascook.com. Seems strange that the flight is advertised but not able to book.

Travel Agent
22nd Apr 2006, 17:44
Hi, I just looked in the back of Thomas Cooks tropical shores brochure and it says CUN will be opertaed by MON on Sunday, I hope this will go ahead, we need more long haul

We live in hope, but I spoke to Thomas Cook Holidays aviation department and they said there were no plans to operate the flight now :(

HH6702
23rd Apr 2006, 15:24
Lets see what thomson comes up with? they might do cancun without the help of thomas cook.

So far VERY VERY disapointing for 2007 nothing new.

Lets hope we get something new from the smaller opertors
Libra, kosmar.

airhumberside
23rd Apr 2006, 16:01
The Kosmar brochure is already out. Not sure if theres anything new for NCL

NCL-06
23rd Apr 2006, 17:50
this is a bit off topic... but is there flights to agadir from NCL this summer?

10 DME ARC
23rd Apr 2006, 17:53
Agadir,no not this summer, which is a shame as its a great place to visit and cheap!

GrahamK
24th Apr 2006, 08:27
Eastern have announced NCL-INV 6 x weekly using a J41

HH6702
24th Apr 2006, 10:27
Here's the story

Eastern Airways to Launch Inverness-Newcastle Route in June Back
24 April 2006

Regional airline Eastern Airways will commence a six day per week service between Inverness and Newcastle on 5 June 2006, bringing the number of English destinations served from the Highland capital to four.

The daily flights (except Saturday’s) will be operated using a Jetstream 41 aircraft and will depart Inverness at 11.35am and Newcastle at 10.10am.

The new service has qualified for support from the Scottish Executive’s Air Route Development Fund which aims to improve air connection for business and inbound tourism in Scotland.

Eastern’s Scotland Director Graeme Ross commented. “Having recently confirmed our new route to Leeds Bradford and the upgrading of our services to Birmingham and Manchester, this latest announcement clearly emphasises our commitment to Inverness and the North.

“Newcastle is a major destination for all types of traveller and while it was once in the forefront of the industrial revolution, it is certainly now the spearhead of technical innovation, leisure and culture.

“Among its many highlights are the transformed waterfront, the Quayside, now lined with stylish hotels, restaurants and public art. The Gateshead Millennium Bridge, a work of art in itself, arches across the Tyne to link the city to Gateshead Quays and the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art.

“We firmly believe the new route will very much complement our existing services from Inverness and will of course significantly increase connection opportunities to onward destinations.”
Inglis Lyon, managing director of Highlands and Islands Airports said: “We are delighted to see Eastern announce this new link to Newcastle, which will be the airline’s fourth scheduled service from Inverness. The Scottish Executive’s Route Development Fund has again assisted us in securing this route which will open up access to the North-east of England. This new destination should be good news for both business and tourism in the Highlands.”

HH6702
24th Apr 2006, 10:30
Dont know if anybody has noticed but Hannover goes to 4X weekly in july through till early september.

BA - Is BA still doing that charter flight on sundays to gerona using the RJ's??

HH6702
24th Apr 2006, 10:32
Just answered my own question!! YES

British Airways
Departing: 22-Jul-2006 16:10
To: Barcelona - Girona
Arriving: 22-Jul-2006 19:45

Departing: 29-Jul-2006 20:35
To: Newcastle
Arriving: 29-Jul-2006 22:10

On behalf of mytravel group

HH6702
24th Apr 2006, 10:33
Does anybody have the times and date of when the extra aircraft will arrive for the summer

BY x 1
TCX x 1
XLA x 2
FJE x 1

??

10 DME ARC
24th Apr 2006, 10:51
The BA charter to Girona operates on Saturday's 6th May -28th Oct.

BY no more as of the 1st May extra TOM B752 arrives for 1st May start and the B733 towards the end of May.
TCX for the 1st May.
XLA B734 not arriving til mid May
XLA B752 (Finnair) and FJE both arriving for 1st May kick off.

fl dutchman
24th Apr 2006, 19:35
Good news. Is this taking the place of the missing 3rd flight to Cardiff ??

Travel Agent
24th Apr 2006, 20:14
Agent news from Thomson today stated they are to do Luxor and Thessaloniki (SKG) from Newcastle next summer 2007. On sale 27th April 2006

ric180880
24th Apr 2006, 21:08
Thomsonfly 733 will arrive at NCL to start operating flights on 20th May.

fl dutchman
25th Apr 2006, 10:15
According to airport web site news release for start up of this service it is 2 x daily and not 3 as originally announced. So hence the Inverness!

coasting
25th Apr 2006, 12:35
According to airport web site news release for start up of this service it is 2 x daily and not 3 as originally announced. So hence the Inverness!
Don't think it would support 3 daily to CWL at the kind of fares Eastern charge. Safer to go for the morning and evening business option, and use the middle leisure slot for a single INV.

HH6702
25th Apr 2006, 19:44
Luxor is wednesdays and the greek flight i think is tuesdays?

Does anybody have the times of the extra aircraft arriving? i know that they will be here for the 1st as thats when they start the flights!!

JC Novelli
25th Apr 2006, 22:11
Um, chaps and chapesses. Why oh why the continual going on about Charters? I'm new, but have lurked, so flame away. But really, reading the horny chestnut of BRS vs NCL, getting your knickers in a knot over a few clapped out 733's or 75's (apologies to respective airlines-clapped in comparison to shiny 77's or new A319's), does not a big player make. Transporting the 'shiny clothed ones' on their annual farrago to Her Majestys colony of Magaloooooooof fails to add to an airports prestige. Yes, inherent value in money said shiny ones spend on their lambert and butlers and voddy and the employment of air/cabin crew and gndstaff is very acceptable. But they come and go, there is no tenacity in these markets and what there is, is being encroached upon by the No-Frills carriers.

What about news from the front re a new carrier taking over where AA AAlmost left off? What about opening markets to Eastern Europe? Is NCL not a big player with the poles? Where are the RIX or TLL or where is the GWY or the competition on LGW or larger aircraft to CDG or Longhaul to ANU/BGI/SLU? Or the year round Sevilles or Granada's or the villa-shuttles to Limoges/bod/perpignan?

CentreFix25
26th Apr 2006, 07:18
With NCL being the 5th busiest charter airport in the UK you'll probably find the topic comes up rather frequently, and since it plays a big part in the end result it's no great surprise. Airlines and types of aircraft (be it old or new, 727 or 777) will also be discussed because thats what were interested in and why we visit the forum. NCL v BRS - i think it's more for comparison and prediction than competition.

On the routes front, i think AA did a good job of scaring off any potential operator to NY for the time being. I'm not so sure Eastern Europe would work to well from NCL, can't figure out who would use it on any sort of a regular basis. RIX, TLL, ANU, BGI, SLU years and years away, if ever. The only bit of optimism coming from me is the thought that RYR could be persuaded to pick up a French route or two.

JKP505
26th Apr 2006, 10:39
There isn't a market for ANU, BGI, or SLU from NCL, and I would go as far to say there will not be for at least ten year. To be fair though, I think you would be hard pushed to find an airport outside LGW/LHR and MAN that could support these destinations.

In terms of comparison to BRS, to me it looks like they win hands down. They have regular flights to BOD, EBG, FKT, HAM, MAD, MUC, SNN, TLS, VLC, VCE, ZRH, plus the big one to EWR. BRS also has a wider variation of charters as well - BIA, HRG, OLB, PUY, SPU, SKG. NCL dosen't have any of these.

It makes you wonder whether the airport has reached saturation point. Although NCL possibly has the biggest catchment area of all English airports, the pop. is pretty thin on the ground.

I reckon that the biggest growth in the next year or two will come from mainline scheduled and charter diversification. For example CPH and DUS going double-daily, FKT being introduced by LH and ZRH by LX as well. I've thought that there was potential for there to be a mini Star Alliance base, if BD got on the LHR route, and with LH, SK and WF already at the airport. I do however believe that LS and EZY will continue to grow, EZY do ATH, BSL, CGN, MAD. Increase freq. of AGP and CDG.

In terms of charter, I would say that the aforementioned routes from BRS, plus, the elusive CUN would set the market up. I continue to be surprised by FCA's absence.

RobT100
26th Apr 2006, 17:53
I shouldnt take any notice of him, he always talks rubbish (is unable to find anyone that agrees with his ideas or back them up). He has openly admitted on this forum that his aim is to wind people up. The best way, in my opinion is to leave him alone and dont reply to any of his ludicrous posts.

Well thanks for that CentreFix25, I have openly admitted i like to wind you up, but i am not here to wind anyone else.
All that you are is a spotter who sits at the end of the runway with his binoculars and then you like to come on here bragging how good NCL is and how many destinations / charters it has.
You also like to constantly give wish lists about extra destinations you would like to see. I wouldnt mind if you actually used the routes, but not so that you can use them for your spotters logbook.
I have nothing against spotters, but please dont come on here beating the drum for your local airport all the time.

GrahamK
26th Apr 2006, 19:49
With all due respect RobT100, if you haven't anything productive to say, then it's sometimes better to say nothing.
I'd like to think everyone who posts in this thread would like to see Newcastle do well, so lets cut out the bickering and keep on-track and discuss Newcastle.
Sure, it's not the perfect airport, but where is?
Now, lets get back on topic before the Moderators lock the thread :ok:

P.S. The 2nd based Jet2 737 positions in from MAN tonight ready for tomorrows first AMS flight :ok:

skyman771
26th Apr 2006, 19:59
On the routes front, i think AA did a good job of scaring off any potential operator to NY for the time being.
Why do you say this ? I can't see the logic, the only other remotely possible airline that was likely to be interested last year was CO. Just because they were apparantly beaten to NYC by AA does not suggest that they would have been prepared to operate the route this year in any event. Personally I was totally uncomfortable with the AA proposal the minute they announced they were to fly the route on a one class basis, giving priority to business frequent flyers and the like, whilst the 757's were effectively configured as business class up front. Although totally shocked by the pull out I was doubtful as to the routes potential for success.
CO are the ONLY other potential operator that stand even half chance of success on this route, you can forget the likes of DL and any other mainstream US airline. As the operator must neceesarily be US based with a network to support onward destinations and thus higher demand, then in my book all roads lead to CO and they know this and will take their time. I'll give them two years max to make their move, if you read some of the recent press statements from Parkin he seems more bullish, but then he would, thats his job.

JKP505
26th Apr 2006, 20:30
I disagree that CO are the only possible operator to New York. How about DL? There is plenty of connection potential with them, plus the also have somewhat a presence at NCL via Skyteam alliance members which, incidentally, CO are anyway. I know the current aircraft would be unsuitable, but what if BD served JFK. The potential is definately at NCL for BD and further Star Alliance expansion. When AA announced JFK I thought it was a bit odd considering BA pulled out of every market that they had from NCL other than the London flights.

CentreFix25
26th Apr 2006, 20:32
Totally agree with everything you say. When i said 'AA did a good job of scaring off any potential operator to NY for the time being', 'time being' in my opinion being 2-3 years. AA stated economic conditions (fuel price) for pulling the route, but i think that less than expected bookings were a factor. If the bookings were good, i'd have expected them to bite the bullet on fuel knowing full well that the price would come down at some point, and all the while pax numbers would increase. I'm thinking Continental are thinking the same thing. Not sure if i explained that wery well, but you get the idea.

CentreFix25
26th Apr 2006, 20:52
Not a spotter, never have been - Enthusiast, yep.
and then you like to come on here bragging how good NCL is and how many destinations / charters it has.*Think you'll find my posts are realistic and factually correct, if anything i've been accused of being negative.
*Like i said before 'back up your claims' copy and paste ALL of my wish lists.
*I've got 2 return flights planned i'll PM you the details if you want, we can meet up in the cafe, i'll buy you a lolly pop.

10 DME ARC
26th Apr 2006, 21:55
CF25
The booking were not bad we were out selling both BFS and BRS! The reasons AA pulled are known only to them selves? Fingers crossed.

skyman771
26th Apr 2006, 22:35
I disagree that CO are the only possible operator to New York. How about DL? There is plenty of connection potential with them, plus the also have somewhat a presence at NCL via Skyteam alliance members which, incidentally, CO are anyway. I know the current aircraft would be unsuitable, but what if BD served JFK. The potential is definately at NCL for BD and further Star Alliance expansion .
Fail to get my head around any of this ! Firstly I must question if you have much experience of the US and their mentality. If you had ever transited through ATL as opposed JFK or EWR you would not be so naive as to suggest DL as a realistic option. DL would never make a success of a NCL operation, there is absolutely no logical reason as to why DL would opt for Newcastle. Their current financial position dictates that they necessarily need to adopt a risk averse strategy, have little or no experience of provincial UK operations, currently do not have any suitable aircraft available. More fundamentally they don't fly direct to NYC !!.
You need to update yourself on their operations, everything goes through their ATL hub, and thats just one bit too much hassle for a significant proportion of any US market from the North East of England. As for BD then what planet are you on?, by all accounts the airlines management strategy is currently sufficiently disorganised as not to be able to run a p**s up in a brewery !

Kev 1
27th Apr 2006, 09:52
Anyone know how the loads where today on the Amsterdam flights by Jet2?

Thomson flight to Luxor for 2007 is on Weds, anyone know the airline who will be operating it?

Cheers

Kev

HH6702
27th Apr 2006, 09:55
Luxor - Thomsonfly

transwede
28th Apr 2006, 12:04
So will 2007 hold the same based charters as this year, with Luxor so far the only new route?

GrahamK
28th Apr 2006, 16:30
Thessaloniki is coming back for S07, with Thomsonfly.

Jamesair
28th Apr 2006, 23:03
Newcastle will hold the distinction of hosting the last flight ever from the UK to carry the BY flight code and callsign.......NCL - MIR on 30th April

Devonair
29th Apr 2006, 11:46
[QUOTE=skyman771] (Delta) currently do not have any suitable aircraft available. More fundamentally they don't fly direct to NYC !!.
You need to update yourself on their operations, everything goes through their ATL hub, and thats just one bit too much hassle for a significant proportion of any US market from the North East of England.
Delta are commencing a direct NYC service from Manchester and Dublin/Shannon in May. Part of a major expanison of international services from NYC.

md80forum
30th Apr 2006, 20:59
Here is the bird, taxiing Helsinki for ferry to Newcastle, reg OH-LBS.

http://vacc.fi/df/viewtopic.php?t=4995

skyman771
30th Apr 2006, 22:37
[QUOTE=skyman771] (Delta) Delta are commencing a direct NYC service from Manchester and Dublin/Shannon in May. Part of a major expanison of international services from NYC.
Yes noted that they are to COMMENCE direct NYC, and that may be, but I can't see as to how they would look to NCL prior to ensuring the success of NYC transatlantic operations with more established European destinations. Such a process will presumably take them some years to implement and even then you have to consider why should they be in a better position than AA prior to them pulling out & as to what suitable equipment they have.

NCL-06
1st May 2006, 11:56
Here is the bird, taxiing Helsinki for ferry to Newcastle, reg OH-LBS.

http://vacc.fi/df/viewtopic.php?t=4995

so is this the excel aircraft that will be based at NCL over the summer?

heslop2006
1st May 2006, 15:17
one of them yes, I think there is also a 737-400?

HH6702
3rd May 2006, 17:08
newcastleairportdirect.com

anybody noticed the extra paris flights shown when you look.

I type in paris orly and it was saying at the bottom checking jet2
it also has new york shown.

Maybe things to come maybe not.

NCLRULES
3rd May 2006, 17:37
The airport bosses apparently visited Houston last week to discuss the New York route with CO.

Also, Eastern are apparently using the Jetstream from next week on the LCY service.

NCL-06
3rd May 2006, 17:44
Also, Eastern are apparently using the Jetstream from next week on the LCY service.

is this route not performing aswell as expected for Eastern?

mmeteesside
3rd May 2006, 17:48
Feel free to correct me, but I think...

It's only dropping 7 seats from 35 > 28 !?

They were always planning to use the J41, just had to train their crews up for LCY, therefore leased the D328 as Cirrus had been operating into LCY anyway.

mmeteesside

NCL-06
3rd May 2006, 17:52
ohhh right kk

10 DME ARC
3rd May 2006, 18:13
I think its even less 33 down to 29! And a lot cheaper since they belong to them!

transwede
5th May 2006, 09:20
I see the summer season is well under way at NCL, with yesterday particularly busy. Nice to see the long hauls back for the summer, MON and TS. FJE seem to have made an excellent start aswell.

NCL-06
5th May 2006, 15:10
lets hope FJE's form continues as I'm booked on a flight with them lol

NCLRULES
5th May 2006, 15:22
Nice to see the long hauls back for the summer, MON

The Monarch A330 was in the new livery yesturday. It took a lot of runway to get off the ground aswell!! :eek:

Jamesair
5th May 2006, 16:58
The latest figures from the CAA for the NCL - LCY flight are for February and these show 1620 pax carried....I calculate that at fractionally over 10 pax per flight. Hopefully it picked up in March and April.

nclairportfan
5th May 2006, 17:46
To be fair though the NCL - BHX route carried 2109 pax in Feb with the same frequency so for a new route the LCY figures seem quite good!

lukeylad
5th May 2006, 22:33
hey every one my names lukeylad aka luke gargett.

Im a new member.

Seen as ncl is my local airport i thought that this would be a good place for my first post in the forums.

It looks like a great forum. cant wait to see what go's on around here.

regards

luke

DC10FAN
6th May 2006, 10:16
Fail to get my head around any of this ! Firstly I must question if you have much experience of the US and their mentality. If you had ever transited through ATL as opposed JFK or EWR you would not be so naive as to suggest DL as a realistic option. DL would never make a success of a NCL operation, there is absolutely no logical reason as to why DL would opt for Newcastle. Their current financial position dictates that they necessarily need to adopt a risk averse strategy, have little or no experience of provincial UK operations, currently do not have any suitable aircraft available. More fundamentally they don't fly direct to NYC !!.
You need to update yourself on their operations, everything goes through their ATL hub, and thats just one bit too much hassle for a significant proportion of any US market from the North East of England. As for BD then what planet are you on?, by all accounts the airlines management strategy is currently sufficiently disorganised as not to be able to run a p**s up in a brewery !

I generally agree that DL are not an obvious choice for a service to New York but your comment about all their services going through ATL is not correct. Infact they probably have as many transatlantic flights from JFK; they operate to many European cities(some secondary) such as Barcelona, Brussels, Nice etc Continental is the obvious candidate as they have a big hub at EWR(I've used it) and they have more suitable a/c. Delta 757s are not equipped for long haul and a 767 -300 would be too big. BD is a non-starter; they have no presence at NCL; any connecting Star Alliance traffic comes from a hub with direct flights to NY and they don't have suitable a/c either.

simonwa
6th May 2006, 11:56
With all the changes in who handles which airline at NCL, does anybody have an accurate list of which airlines Servisair handle and which airlines Swissport handle?

lukeylad
6th May 2006, 14:11
simonwa

according to my collage tutor swissport hold the majority at NCL both of them are currantly after BA.

Topjet
6th May 2006, 14:45
Servisair:
Mytravel, Easyjet, Ryanair, SN Brussels, Air France, Onur Air, Mail flights, Flyjet, Helios/Alpha Jet, Spanair, Hapag Lloyd (but not for much longer).

Swissport:
Everybody else bar what samson handle!

Edited to say Transwed has covered the ones I forgot servisair handled.

heslop2006
6th May 2006, 16:38
hehe thats right, I never knew NCL had BA operating to Gerona all summer

Jamesair
6th May 2006, 16:45
A few more comments on the Delta situation......Delta have closed down SONG and have said that this would release the 757 aircraft for use on Intercontinental routes to aid expansion...this would solve the "lack of suitable aircraft" problem.

skyman771
6th May 2006, 19:49
I generally agree that DL are not an obvious choice for a service to New York but your comment about all their services going through ATL is not correct.
Sorry for the misleading text, yes it should have been no UK direct services to NYC. But all things being equal I just can't buy into this one.
There's also another way to look at this, CO are perhaps some way ahead of DL in that CO have been active in the provincial UK market for some time now & will have undoubtdly looked into the feasibility of a NCL operation, notwithstanding that it was not top of their short term options. Indeed it may never be, but if it isn't then one has to assume that the reluctance of both themselves and AA would be sufficient to hold any other perspective US operator at bay. In any event surely this is all accademic as DL have no suitable available aircraft. I'm not suficiently into the reggie thing as to know as to how old their / SONG's 757's are, but I'm sure I saw DL 757's on many occasions around & about the US in the 80's. Surely these 757's are more likely to be candidates to follow their 1011's to the Arizona scrap yards than to be to given major refits. Such expense solely to service the limitations of thin routes to the UK where airfields impose severe runway restrictions doesn't appear viable to me.
To avoid being negative, my money remains on a CO operation within 2 years, but then thats a long time in aviation terms.:ok:

airhumberside
6th May 2006, 20:24
Sorry for the misleading text, yes it should have been no UK direct services to NYC.
DL start MAN-JFK this summer

In any event surely this is all accademic as DL have no suitable available aircraft. I'm not suficiently into the reggie thing as to know as to how old their / SONG's 757's are, but I'm sure I saw DL 757's on many occasions around & about the US in the 80's. Surely these 757's are more likely to be candidates to follow their 1011's to the Arizona scrap yards than to be to given major refits.
I dont think their B757's are equipped for transatlantic flights. And DL might not be able to afford to equip them at the moment. I have to agree with you when you say DL are unlikely to go to NCL

transwede
7th May 2006, 09:47
lukeylad I fear your college tutor may well be day dreaming regarding the BA contract, Swissport will never loose them as their predecessors hold valuable BA handling experience, including BA qualified despatchers. If, however, Servisair gain BA then I would very extremely shocked considering some comments have have been made reagrding service levels at S'Air.

simonwa Swissport are by far the largest handling agent at NCL, though S'Air did hold the majority of contracts up until a few years ago.

Swissport: Thomsonfly, Thomas Cook, BA, Transat, Eastern, First Choice, BMI, Jet2, KLM, LTE, Monarch, SAS, Wideroe, Sunexpress.

The followingairlines are those that have transferred their handling contracts from S'Air to Swissport over the past few years: Air Europa, Air Malta, Balkan, FlyBe, Eurocypria, Hapag Lloyd, Lufthansa, Pegasus.

Servisair: Aegean, Air Azores, Air France, Easyjet, Air Scotland, Austrian, BritishJet, European Air Charter, Flyjet, Futura, Helios/Ajet, Karthago, Mytravel, Onur Air, Ryanair, Spanair.

The BA charter to GRO is operated by BA Connect using RJ100.

Is anyone else aware ofa new charter flight to Molde, operated by Atlantic Airways?

HH6702
7th May 2006, 12:53
Charter flight to Molde

Where did you here this?
What day of the week or times have you heard?

sunshine79
7th May 2006, 14:11
Where is Molde?

NCL-06
7th May 2006, 14:14
i think it's in Norway

FinalsToLand
7th May 2006, 16:08
Starts middle of june, 17th i think but cant remember the destination.

F.T.L

HH6702
8th May 2006, 15:03
Theres nothing on Atlantic Airways website.