PDA

View Full Version : Wake turbulance

theweave
4th Oct 2005, 19:01
whilst flying in the Southend area in an R22 I was cautioned by ATC of the operation of a sea king manouvering at the end of the pier and advised that the separation is 4 nautical miles.
Can anyone advise me of any restrictions I may have if I am above and in sight of the sea king

helicopter-redeye
4th Oct 2005, 19:07
Was that a radar or non radar wake vortices separation situation?

(and don't they form downwind/ behind the subject aircraft?)

Helicopters produce more wake vortices than aeroplanes of similiar weight. On radar separation a light (R22) after a medium (Sea King) would be 5nm. 4 would be a heavy after a heavy.

Was there a TRA for similiar in place around a situation?

Questions, more questions but never answers ...

h-r:) :(

theweave
4th Oct 2005, 19:24
Hi Helicopter Red-Eye,
It was non radar
My intentions at the time was to route past the sea king no closer than 1 nm above the height of the sea king. (the sea king was working below 100 feet)

I just felt that the separation in this situation seems excessive.
Any advise would be appreciated

My last post should read no closer than 1nm and above the height of the sea king. Also there was no TRA.

ShyTorque
4th Oct 2005, 19:38
The ATC requirement for a 4 mile separation is for aircraft following the same flight path, such as on a route or on the approach to a runway.

It's only advisory; if you remain above the preceeding aircraft and preferably upwind you will be clear of the wake as it goes downwards and downwind. However, if you aren't sure then obviously you should play safe.

AlanM
4th Oct 2005, 19:43
Are you sure he meant vortex separation - or just giving the SAR some extra (possibly uncalled for) protection during SAROPS?

theweave
4th Oct 2005, 20:20
Hi Shy torque, thanks for making it clear for me. I thought ATC wanted me to fly no closer than 4nm from the aircraft.
After returning from california where I was flying at a busy airfield we often flew quite close and above very large C17's. Now I understand ATC's Caution, thanks.

helopat
6th Oct 2005, 09:53
Just for the hell of it I'll weigh in.

(From an australian perspective) If its day/vmc you, as the, presumably, light wake turbulence category aircraft who wants to pass clear of the medium category aircraft can elect to waive the wake turbulence separation...this way you take on all the responsibility for staying clear of his wake turbulence (ie remaining above and upwind)

SARREMF
6th Oct 2005, 19:04
Are you certain it was for wake turbulence or was it because a temporary danger area had been established and you were about to penetrate it?

Often SAR ac ask for TDA's to protect them from other traffic - especially the very fast pointy stuff at low level. However, do you, as a civilian ac have to comply??