PDA

View Full Version : HUMBERSIDE

airhumberside
4th Oct 2005, 18:43
Heres the new thread in accordance with new forum rules.

The main rumour at the moment is about Ryanair. Does anyone hvae any idea of dates for any announcement (if there is one). This week, next? Some time this month?

PPRuNe Pop
4th Oct 2005, 18:46
Another one who didn't read the posts. CAPITAL LETTERS please you are causing me unnecessary work! :{

airhumberside
4th Oct 2005, 18:52
Sorry :O - thought it was in capitals but I need to double check in future

NFI
6th Oct 2005, 18:58
Looks finished to me.

Just a rumour but is it going to be used by any of these so airlines that Air Humberyawn and the others keep posting might / should use Humberside.

airhumberside
6th Oct 2005, 19:05
Apparently the people who built it have three offers from companies to use it. They are presently deciding which offer to accept

(Sory for also posting this on the BOH thread as well by mistake - will delete when the thread is reopened)

AndyHUY
8th Oct 2005, 10:58
We are waiting for some announcement from someone soon! Not sure who that someone is but it is thought to be FR with a route to DUB initialy with a view to expanding, just need to hear some more concrete evidence of this before i put 100% on it!

Apparently two lo-co airlines have a REJUVINATED interest in HUY and are said to be very eager!

I believe HUY are working on a number of things at the moment, lets hope we hea something soon!

7006 fan
8th Oct 2005, 17:49
There is something in the wings (excuse the pun) and it could be very interesting, certainly likely to have a beneficial effect on HUY but what precisely this is my source is very tight-lipped about it -just get this knowing look when I ask about lo-co and other scheduled stuff!!

:cool:

panda-k-bear
8th Oct 2005, 19:42
I'm so glad that this:

"Apparently two lo-co airlines have a REJUVINATED interest in HUY and are said to be very eager!"

was posted with an exclamation mark at the end (mind you so was the rest of the post - maybe the full stop is broken) because it does seem a tad unbelievable that 2 LCAs would suddenly show interest at the same time.

I so want HUY to do well but I fear that's just not going to be the case on the scheduled front - and that would be very, very sad. I'm a frequent user of the AMS service but splitting that traffic onto another scheduled route would be suicidal, especially with DSA breathing down their necks.

AndyHUY
8th Oct 2005, 22:51
I very much doubt HUY would be the base for two lo-co's but i know that two are showing interest!

DSA needs to be looking at MAN and NEMA not HUY! HUY is no threat to DSA, the pax figures for DSA by the end of the year will be more than double HUY's.

I think if we start going on about what could and couldnt be served from HUY we will go around in circles forever. Let the airlines do the work and we will see what comes from that. Afterall they are the ones that know what theyre doing.

AMS is a great service and well patronised so apparently their sister company are interested in a link to CDG to compliment the AMS! But its just annother rumour.

We will hear something soon though, i have every confidence about that.

P.S. sorry about all the !!! Force of habit.

7006 fan
10th Oct 2005, 21:43
I can only say that since the Excel announcement HUY has sprung up on the radar. Logical really when you think about it, all that activity is guaranteed to make people start thinking -"what's going on on the East Coast?", like a run on a stock, or a football transfer rumour/deal...it makes things happen in the short/middle term. That might be why there is a resurging interest.
Or are we saying HUY has less of lo-co as England has chance of winning World Cup 2006. I think HUY has more chance. (when Michael Owen says were are second only to Brazil..you know something is wrong,words of a drowning man!!!, or do you all believe)

AndyHUY
10th Oct 2005, 23:13
Logical really when you think about it, all that activity is guaranteed to make people start thinking -"what's going on on the East Coast?",

I think this has been a trend for most UK regionals in the last few years. LPL and more recently BLK being the prime examples. It seems once EZY move in to LPL every one wanted a piece of the pax pie! Ten years go LPL wa putting through around the same as wht HUY is now. It just takes one to realise a places potential.

Not that im saying HUY will come close to LPL but it will expand quite considerably in the next few years.

NFI
11th Oct 2005, 06:47
Even if these so called low cost airlines were interested in HUY, the big green hangar would not even be considered as part of the package. Maintenance would be done on the ramp. Always has and always will be. Engineers work harder and faster when cold and wet as they want to get the job done. Putting a plane into a hangar costs time and money.

So...

Looking at the big picture. It is not a big green hangar, but a big new terminal. Ideal for a low cost operation. Pack 'em in, round them up and off they go. Would save the lo co a fortune. No handling fees at the old terminal. Works well at Coventry.

Looking forward to watching the first batch of self loading cargo to appear at HUY Terminal Two any day now....

AndyHUY
11th Oct 2005, 17:23
Are there actualy any operators interested in using the hangar? I thaught we would have heard something by now. I hope its not going to be a white elephant, its big and ugly and doesnt do anything for the surroundings.

NFI
12th Oct 2005, 06:40
How can you say the new terminal is ugly. It is a practical purpose built and functional building, not a piece of art.

Just a point of correction, if it is going to be used as a hangar - operators do do use hangars - a band of highly trained, skilled, hardworking, but always overlooked in the bussiness do. They are called aircraft engineers...

AndyHUY
12th Oct 2005, 09:50
Sorry have i massed something? Your message makes no sense NFI.

Lew_HUY
20th Oct 2005, 18:38
Anyone know what N53GX is operating for? Ive seen it at HUY over the past month a fair few times.. it departed this afternoon at 17:00(ish)

Cheers,

Lew

aeulad
23rd Oct 2005, 16:12
Looks like Excel are pulling the second based aircraft:{

Regards

Mike

spanishflea
23rd Oct 2005, 17:41
N53GX is a Global Express operated by TAG Aviation for "York Aviation" as far as I can see.

Lew_HUY
23rd Oct 2005, 21:52
Howdy, Yep i was aware that N53GX is York Aviation, but what's it doing at HUY? VIP trip? sorry should of made clear in the initial post.

Lew

7006 fan
25th Oct 2005, 19:20
HUY has a number of 'net-jets' and other charter/air taxi operators that fly in and out all the time, therefore nothing unusual. As to who is in it etc is surely a matter for them hence flying in a private jet. Obviou sly shows there are a few people with pot loads living in the area, or people have 'influential' friends. No doubt the landing fees are set accordingly!!!! But being serious for a moment, HUY had a load of little planes down;(as opposed to puddle jumpers) Dassaults etc there were so many the apron was likely to fill up completely, what would happen if this happened on a regular basis? Where would all the big stuff sit? How much room has HUY got to expand? it may need to do some thinking if it is going to get bigger.
A mass of Excel next season plus the existing charter ops, scheduled and air taxi etc may max it out, let alone any new operators. Maybe HUY will be employing all the builders in Lincs during the Winter?

:confused:

airhumberside
25th Oct 2005, 19:46
HUY has developed with little consideration for future growth. As you say there is little room to park more planes over night. I dont see where the apron could be extended too. You would probably have to demolish the helicopter hangar and extend the apron towards car park 3 and that would need a new helicopter hangar to be built (a long way from the helicopter terminal), a new car park to be built and a road to be diverted

panda-k-bear
26th Oct 2005, 15:56
Easier option, surely, is to put an apron on the other side of the runway and connect that with a short tunnel to the existing buildings. Of course, you'd need a lot more flights first.

7006 fan
27th Oct 2005, 18:52
What about those waste of space fields to the left side of the runway (when viewed from the A18), loads of space there and far cheaper than digging a tunnel under the runway or diverting the road surely?
Mind you HUY have to get pot loads of flights haven't they and there is the rub!!

Papa320
27th Oct 2005, 19:58
On XL.com Corfu, Zante and Fuertaventura are no longer shown on booking selector for 2006, all other destinations are bookable. Fuertaventura, Corfu and Zante have dropped off the HUY Airport website for XL.

So no second aircraft?

Is it due to low bookings?

airhumberside
27th Oct 2005, 20:40
Apparently some tour operaors have pulled out (reasons unknown) but XLA are trying to get replacement ones

panda-k-bear
28th Oct 2005, 12:13
7006 fan, that's exactly what I said - the other side of the runway - but how do the pax get to the terminal from an apron on that side of the runway? You aren't going to let them walk across the runway, are you? Hence why I mentioned a short tunnel. Unless you think there are enough pax to create a second terminal, of course...

7006 fan
29th Oct 2005, 11:52
Sorry Panda,
I meant that the land could become used as the main terminal, turn the existing into heliport/domestic/GA and so forth and have two aprons. Might also need to make the runway a bit longer to the south as well. Anyone got £50m!!!! sigh
:)

7006 fan
30th Oct 2005, 16:29
Gather they can't get another aircraft. The one they planned on getting is now no longer available. All sounds a bit strange to me!
:suspect:

airhumberside
30th Oct 2005, 16:43
Hopefully they can find an arcraft or at least do some W patterns from other bases to make up for some of the flights lost

Will XLA's remaining aircraft be based the whole week or just part of it?

AndyHUY
30th Oct 2005, 18:42
As far as i am aware the XL a/c will be based all week but it wont be an XL aircraft.

airhumberside
30th Oct 2005, 19:07
Maybe a Finnair B757 like at NCL this year?

Just hope we get something reliable

AndyHUY
31st Oct 2005, 17:57
Sorry, the XL full based a/c will now not be happening, it will be part based as was origionaly from tuesday to saturday:{

There is still hope for more announcements from other ventures so there is still hope....

hostiegirl
2nd Nov 2005, 17:03
xla have started recruitment online applications for humberside at www.xl.com under careers:ok:

Lew_HUY
3rd Nov 2005, 21:43
Just got word from a friend in XLA Ops.. TF-ARI, B752 will be operating base training at HUY sometime over the next week.

Lew

7006 fan
5th Nov 2005, 09:02
Oh Dear.
Why do I get this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach that it is "here we go again". How do HUY do it?!? DSAare gaining routes, BLK have launched new Ryanair routes (and that is with MAN and LPL on their doorstep) NWI (not renowned as a mass population area OR easy to get to) gets loads of FlyBe.

Anyone got a picture of Nero handy!

Someone said to me the other day, HUY is the only regional International airport without a lo-co, is that true! Seems bizarre, or are they only interested in supporting package holidays, relying on the thought that the 'business traveller will hike to MAN. Unless of course you are lucky enough to get a seat on the KLM

:sad:

7006 fan
10th Nov 2005, 18:42
Gather HUY is putting on a large programme of works for this winter!
Car park expansion, apron, new taxiway, warehouse etc, can only be good news. here is hoping it's all true!

AndyHUY
11th Nov 2005, 09:35
I believe this to be true, looking at an increase in pax to over 600,000 from somewhere so may be an announcement??

GrahamK
11th Nov 2005, 09:50
Perhaps HUY will get a 734 :E

7006 fan
12th Nov 2005, 17:41
What's happening at HUY, big ad's for big jobs!

General Manager
&
Airfield Manager

New jobs or a 'reshuffle'? Would think these must be new jobs to cope with the new flights next year.

:confused:

Take up the Hold
12th Nov 2005, 18:56
GrahamK

Or even a 738!!

TUTH

airhumberside
12th Nov 2005, 19:41
7006 fan

See - http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195074&highlight=humberside

Any update on who will use the new maintenance hangar

markflyer6580
15th Nov 2005, 16:41
I fly out of humberside(ppl). We had two chaps in to the club this week one doing a/c resprays and the other interior trimming /refurbs.They are going to be in a part of the new hangar,they said that it was not going to be used for 737 maintainance or similar.:ok:

7006 fan
15th Nov 2005, 18:34
Interesting,
Thought all the flying schools were closed Monday and Tuesday

markflyer6580
15th Nov 2005, 19:19
Make that within the last week then:bored:

Hotel Uniform Yankee
18th Nov 2005, 22:03
We had the same guy come into the flying club this week, and yes we are open 7 days a week at the Humber Flying Club.

Lew_HUY
22nd Nov 2005, 18:09
Howdy folks,

I managed to snap the first excel 738 at HUY.. cant wait to see more of them around:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/963279/L/

Cheers,

Lew

7006 fan
22nd Nov 2005, 18:32
Hear there is to be some commercial jet action at the new hangar shortly!

airhumberside
22nd Nov 2005, 19:01
What was involved in the base training. Did the B738 do touch and go's?

airhumberside
24th Nov 2005, 13:54
BBC Look North are reporting Ryanair may announce services in the next few weeks

7006 fan
25th Nov 2005, 18:32
Hmmmm
Saw it, heard it, believe it (when MOL/FR turns up I will). How many times has the lo-co bell rung at HUY, bit like everything else.
We will see.
Sorry, I seem to have turned turtle but it just seems there was an opportunity in 2004 (before DSA) and they blew it. (Mind you DSA have nothing to crow about either)

:*

airhumberside
25th Nov 2005, 20:22
Jersey has been added to the airport weebsite for next summer. Will the airline be WOW again?

Lew_HUY
25th Nov 2005, 21:22
Didnt WOW do bristol this year too from HUY?

Lew

7006 fan
26th Nov 2005, 07:30
Gather a 738 is going into the new hangar next week, hopefully the first of many.

airhumberside
26th Nov 2005, 10:40
Didnt WOW do bristol this year too from HUY?
Not on a regular basis. There may have a positioning flight, diversion or one off charter however

Gather a 738 is going into the new hangar next week, hopefully the first of many.
Do you know the airline?

Lew_HUY
28th Nov 2005, 17:51
Howdy,

G-VKNA (Ex TF-ARI) of Excel will be doing base training tomorrow (tuesday) and also on thursday at HUY.

Lew

phil_2405
30th Nov 2005, 22:04
I've heard strong rumours that Ryanair are coming to HUY

charterguy
30th Nov 2005, 23:22
To attract any loco, HUY's management would first have to learn the art of 'bending over backwards' (also known as 'providing a service'). Once mastered, they would then need to learn the art of bending over forwards (preferably with their trousers down). Then, and only then might HUY attract the attentions of a certain Irish gentleman who is known to have bragged about how he 'raped' one of his other suppliers (Boeing).

Seriously though, as a first step HUY should take a hard look at their ridiculous opening hours !! :yuk:

It's a good job that HUY failed in their attempts to drive out the local flying schools. The schools were the first users of the airport, and they will probably be the last. :O

FR at HUY ? Dream on.

CG

AndyHUY
1st Dec 2005, 09:47
Charter guy, you seem a bitter, are you part of the GA activity at HUY?

I was not aware HUY tried to push the GA and clubs out??

phil_2405
1st Dec 2005, 14:08
FR at HUY ? Dream on.

I don't think its as far fetched as u think

madbadrob
1st Dec 2005, 14:21
7006 fan said Sorry, I seem to have turned turtle but it just seems there was an opportunity in 2004 (before DSA) and they blew it. (Mind you DSA have nothing to crow about either)

Oh we do have a lot to crow about. For example in the 6 months of the airport being open it as carried more freight than the whole of Yorkshire did last year. In 6 months we managed to attracxt and fly some 500,000 pax. We have Canterbury travel running lapland day trips on the 3rd and 10th Dec, Easy Jet start flights from DSA on the 16th December I believe. Add to that the regular Thomson and Ryan Air flights, plus the two Balkan flights from next year and the cruise flights as well.

Therefore I think we have a great deal to crow about. I could have gone on and mentioned TNT flying horses in and the Antanov that did the same.

The only negative I can think of ( or willing to admit) is the DC8 fiasco but then that wasn't the airpoprts fault but the carriers.

Oh I don't work for DSA but am an avid enthusiast and DSA supporter. I have visited HUY once and whilst it does have a lot of lights and a few JP's what else can it offer?

Rob

GBALU53
1st Dec 2005, 14:38
Looking on the Air Southwest webb sight the PLH-JER-PLH rotation on a saturday has a large gap in jersey, it looks like it may be doing the Humberside charter as per the similar schedule of summer 2005.

But lets hope its not it would be nice to see another face operating these sectors.

AndyHUY
1st Dec 2005, 17:14
I have visited HUY once and whilst it does have a lot of lights and a few JP's what else can it offer?

Madbadrob, i agree with you that DSA has achieved a lot in the short time it has been open, i hope it keeps growing. Would love to see some new faces in 06 maybe more easyjet??

HUY offers convenience to the people of the region, the thing is it doesnt offer what others do.... a lo-co. A few years ago this would have been understandable as i may have had second thaughts on the catchment area etc... After seeing EXT,NWI and BLK, to name a few, gaining flights and pax leaving HUY the only one without a lo-co, it makes it obvious that HUY could be in a bigger league again like MME size.

I dont think DSA is holding it back it must be internal...

mmeteesside
1st Dec 2005, 17:44
Looking on the Air Southwest webb sight the PLH-JER-PLH rotation on a saturday has a large gap in jersey, it looks like it may be doing the Humberside charter as per the similar schedule of summer 2005.

It is Air Southwest, here is the schedule as it stands at the moment......
JER-HUY WOW9310 1320/1440
HUY-JER WOW9311 1510/1630

Source: Channel Islands Travel Service

mmeteesside

7006 fan
1st Dec 2005, 19:32
Madbadrob

At least we HUY types have the b*lls to make our comments in public, unlike DSA that has it's own secret society web-site, (have to register who you are, so the bogie man can get you if you spit anti-DSA verbage) they don't like washing their laundry in public you see.
Site has been pretty clean up to now, but trust some DSA bod to come and spoil the party.
HUY may be small and offer, from your opinion a few flights, but at least there is a 'flag carrier' at HUY, and HUy have not sold their soul for tuppence'hapny to get a load of flights for the people on benefits.
YES I GOT OUT OF THE WRONG SIDE OF BED TODAY
:mad:
Pray tell me Mr Madbadrob, can I interline from DSA/
save you the trouble...NO., but can get to some horrible Spanish resort for next to f*uck all. Big whoopie do!

Nuff said

gary4444
1st Dec 2005, 19:40
HUY have not sold their soul for tuppence'hapny to get a load of flights for the people on benefits.

Pray tell me Mr Madbadrob, can I interline from DSA/ save you the trouble...NO., but can get to some horrible Spanish resort for next to f*uck all. Big whoopie do!

I guess next summer Excel will be providing a top of the market service to all of the wealthy folks in Humberside?

No they will be providing cheap flights to the Spanish resorts......OOPS :\ :\ :\ :\ :\

airhumberside
1st Dec 2005, 19:44
Lets just stope this HUY vs DSA. No need for it

unlike DSA that has it's own secret society web-site, (have to register who you are, so the bogie man can get you if you spit anti-DSA verbage) they don't like washing their laundry in public you see.
Im sure your more than welcome to join it. I know both me and AndyHUY post on there

madbadrob
2nd Dec 2005, 03:55
Finningley forum accepts anyone and we have a Humberside lad that I know of posting. He gets no flack at all and in fact we welcome his posts. We would welcome more people posting on the site with open arms. After all an enthusiasts site is not good with out enthusiasts. Also we do tend to get carried away with OUR airport that at times we do need someone without a vested interest in it to bring our feet down to earth.

I for one have no problem with HUY even if they were the biggest Say NO to DSA lol. I think HUY have a few years left yet and the flying club will bring in more people also.

If I had one criticism of the airfield actually it is two. The first there is no decent place to get a great view of arriving departing aircraft that I have found, second is the terminal leaves a lot to be desired from an enthusiasts point of view.

I have to say though that HUY will fail unless a loco operates there because people will always go for the cheaper option. I would also like to see KLM return to Doncaster. Yes they did once operate out of Doncaster long before DSA arrived :)

Rob

darn it. I meant to post the addy for the DSA forum

Here it is http://airport.proboards45.com/index.cgi

Rob

AndyHUY
2nd Dec 2005, 08:53
KLM wont leave HUY of that i am 99.9% sure.

HUY will, im sure, get a lo-co of some kind soon. FR is more than hinted at.

DSA is in a different league to HUY so to compare the two is wrong. HUY should be likened to MME and DSA to NEMA.

All of this has been said before time and time again, there is no feuding between NCL and MME or MAN and LPL and others so why HUY and DSA?

madbadrob
2nd Dec 2005, 08:58
AndyHUY said
KLM wont leave HUY of that i am 99.9% sure.

I didn't think they would myself I was just stating that I would like to see them back at Doncaster :)

I think the animosity between HUY and DSA is more of a local rivalry than anything else. Grimsby and Hull for that matter do take a lot of stick from us South Yorkshireites and I think it is an extension of that. I also believe it is because we are all passionate about that which is on our doorstep.

Rob

AndyHUY
2nd Dec 2005, 09:02
That has been mentioned before and it is an understandable and harmless reason but just to make the point that there is no need for either parties to worry about his or her airport be it DSA or HUY as they are both doing very well and they are both growing.

Any one heard any more news or rumours from FR?

panda-k-bear
2nd Dec 2005, 09:37
madbadrob - they are just 2 different animals. Unfortunately for you, airports don't exist to service spotters and "enthusiasts" - they exist to make money (and they aren't going to make much out of spotters, are they? Not even a cup of tea, I shouldn't think, as they'll all have their thermos with them). I travel on business. A lot. HUY is convenient, easy check in and throughput and allows me to get to SFO, LAX, NYC, IAD, KUL, TPE, HAM, MAD, CDG, TLS, GVA, MNL, SEA - in fact extremely easily anywhere on the KLM, Northwest and Malaysian networks. Hassle free, through check in, bags all the way to the destination. That is something that I value much more than whether I can get to Palma with easy or somewhere not very close to Frankfurt with Ryan. It is that that HUY offers me and it is that that business people will pay a premium for. Usually our time is expensive and precious and as the alternative way to get to these places involves at least a 4 hour trip to London, give me HUY every time.

There is a place for both of these airports and both will, I'm sure, survive. HUY DOES need a lo co but it doesn't need to spoil what it already has, which it would do by over expansion (who in the hell enjoys Luton or Stansted or even NEMA?)

madbadrob
2nd Dec 2005, 10:53
Andy don't get me wrong I am not denouncing HUY but coming at it from a different perspective. Personally I will fly from Manchester for the long haul stuff until that is DSA start their Florida flights. I agree to some extent that spotters take their thermos with them however on my recent visit to HUY I did make the effort as I do at every airfield I viist to give something back if only by buying a cup of tea. For spotting I prefer NEMA and Manchester. Both have aeroparks which affords me the chance of getting underneath aircraft ( in particular at NEMA) and this is money going back to the airfield.

I agree with you that convienience is a benefit but when that benefit is outweighed by cost ( I don't know the comparrisons with HUY) as in the case of a recent flight I was going to take, I will take the cheapest option. For example last year I flew to NYC from Gatwick because it was £130 cheaper to do so than travel from Manchester so even with the train costs to and from Doncaster it was still a saving of £70. Will Humberside be able to compete in that market if DSA were to start long haul flights and not on the lo co circuit?

What is the public transport links to HUY like? I know at DSA they are pretty good and if Peel could get their way ( which I am sure they will in the near future) there will also be a rail link. I also see the potential of expansion at DSA but with HUY they seem to be stuck as to where they could go should they need to expand.

From a spotters point of view I would like to see both expand so that we get the chance to view more aircraft type in a local area as well as bringing in money to these two areas, from a flyers perspective I would like to see DSA and HUY offer a lot more flights than they do right now and not just for the leisure industry

Rob

Andy_S
2nd Dec 2005, 12:12
be it DSA or HUY as they are both doing very well and they are both growing.

AndyHUY,

I'm not sure how you define "growing", but in the case of HUY I think you'd have a lot of trouble making your assertion stick.

According to the provisional CAA statistics for October, HUY handled 4.3% LESS passengers than it did in October 2004. If you look at the 'rolling year', then by the end of October 2005 HUY had handled a whopping 13.5% less passengers than it did in the same period in 2004. I know I risk getting flamed for writing this, but it's the simple unvarnished facts - no added spin.

This looks even worse when you consiser that many established regional airports (i.e. excluding the London airports and the 'tiddlers') achieved double digit growth in the rolling year to October 2005. In fact the only established regional to do anything like as badly as HUY was Cardiff, with 5.9% fewer passengers in the rolling year to October 2005 compared to the same period in 2004.

panda-k-bear
2nd Dec 2005, 12:42
madbadrob,
I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Asia writing this having flown out from that particular neck of the woods. I have a fully flex business class ticket as is required due to my job - and I am very far from the only one in that position. I'm looking at my ticket right now and it cost the high side of four and a half grand, so 70 quid is neither here nor there and certainly not worth the time I'd waste getting to LGW or LHR. To me, HUY saves me time, it saves me effort and it gives me access to a global network the likes of which I'd have to travel half way across the country to get access to if only DSA were there and not HUY (I'd end up in MAN or London somewhere). To me it is invaluable and also to my not inconsiderable quantity of colleagues - about 1500 of them - not to mention stacks of oil traffic (I'd love to see the O & D figures from HUY to the Middle East and to IAH). Try to get a seat on the HUY AMS flight more than 10 days out - it's hell! Most traffic is business and connecting so saving a couple of hundred quid and wasting an extra half a day just is not worth the hassle... It took me the best part of 20 hours to get here already, with a neat 1 hour 10 minute connection in AMS. To have to travel another 4 hours and suffer the queues at LHR? No thanks!

airhumberside
2nd Dec 2005, 16:59
Finningley forum accepts anyone and we have a Humberside lad that I know of posting. He gets no flack at all and in fact we welcome his posts.
Would be me;)

I'm not sure how you define "growing", but in the case of HUY I think you'd have a lot of trouble making your assertion stick.

According to the provisional CAA statistics for October, HUY handled 4.3% LESS passengers than it did in October 2004. If you look at the 'rolling year', then by the end of October 2005 HUY had handled a whopping 13.5% less passengers than it did in the same period in 2004. I know I risk getting flamed for writing this, but it's the simple unvarnished facts - no added spin.
I think AndyHUY is thinking about 2006 and XL.com plus other new charters and possibly FR to DUB. 2005 has been a bad year for HUY, no doubt about it. But theres a positive future ahead, in the short term at least

AndyHUY
2nd Dec 2005, 17:01
Andy-s, i agree it has seen a bad year and the decline in pax is depressing. I did mean next year so should have said 'will be growing'

Apparently we can expect to see at least 570,000 next year but there is a possibility of 620,000. This comes after XL had pulled some of their flights due to a problem with a contract with some airline over a lease.

With regards the convenience of the KLM, i have used this services on certain occasions as it has worked out cheaper and quicker than LGW, LHR and MAN.

By the way, have you seen the price of some of the KLM fares to AMS? I got a return fare Fri-Mon for £65....... cheaper than most lo-co's.

7006 fan
2nd Dec 2005, 18:29
I hope no-one is hoping to build a road or building next year. Gather HUY has got a monopoly on the Contruction firms in the area for most of 2006.
Apron, taxiway, buildings and car parks.

Madbadrob/Gary4444,
Indeed Excel offer lower fares than scheduled but they are not offering the £10 e/w that the likes of Tompson/Ryan/EZ etc can offer, the methodolgy entailed is quite simple, if the charter seat ain't sold better a bum on it than fresh air helps to keep the load-factor towards 100%, therefore making the flight more efficient.

As to viewing areas I am 100% with Panda on this, Airports are for transporting people/freight etc, not balconies for people to watch planes from. terminal space costs a fortune and every inch needs to be utilised to make money. The threat of terrorism makes it more risky to have viewing areas and providing an area for people to gawk when it could be making £ notes is just barmy!

airhumberside
2nd Dec 2005, 18:30
Did the B738 ever come?

Jet2LBA
2nd Dec 2005, 19:08
At the risk of covering old ground, I still feel that a LCC at HUY is still a feasible possibility for the future. I see that some have mentioned FR of late, and whilst any LCC would obviously be welcomed, the 738 capacity could be a limiting factor. Considering FR's current network, this could perhaps at best offer a daily DUB and 2/3 weekly MJV and GIR services (latter perhaps seasonally affected).

FlyBe would seem to have to best capacity options with the Q400 and 146 (with EMB-190 to follow), but are they interested?

Jet2 have apparantly looked previously, but perhaps will look again. They seem committed to becoming the dominant LCC in the north of England. A based 733 could perhaps operate a daily AMS, together with say, 4 weekly AGP and ALC and 2 weekly PMI/MJV/FAO in the summer, with the PMI services switching to GVA in the winter and maybe one of the ALC flights changing to Chambery.

AndyHUY
2nd Dec 2005, 19:22
FR could offer aimilar to BLK/BOH i think but if they do come, which i am assured they are, they would probably start with a DUB and test the water from there if the DUB proves viable.

As for other LCC's who knows? Apparently Jet2 have been to the airport recently and FLYbe have been in talks but i believe there are others although i am not aware of the names...

When do FR release their summer schedules?

phil_2405
2nd Dec 2005, 21:37
I would expect FR to launch DUB services only, as AndyHUY says to test the water.

humberside_go
4th Dec 2005, 00:59
I have heard that BA are to launch a transatlantic service to JFK using a 747 aircraft. The service will run 3 times daily and will begin in January 2006. Things are looking up for Humberside!!!!! There are also rumours of Quantas moving in to start daily flights to Sydney via Bangkok and I did hear that Sudan Airways are due to begin daily flights to Khartoum sometime in the new year. WOW!:ok:

AndyHUY
4th Dec 2005, 01:45
Is somewhere a nice place? Garry444's another poster that hails from there.

Must be somewhere near DSA.

7006 fan
4th Dec 2005, 08:24
Madbadrob,
KLM previously operated from Doncaster...er no I don't think so.
I believe you meant Sheffield Airport, you know the one that has now closed because of Finningley :(
Humberside_go
Would be a wonderful idea, shame about the runway length though.

Just fantasizing for a moment. If HUY were to benefit from
c. £20m euro-money, what could they do with it. Hopefully a lot.
E.G.
Extend the runway to the North and run the A18 underneath, build a rail station (line is only 1/2mile from the Airport, why has it never been done before?). Buy the field opposite for extra apron, keep the existing terminal for Helicopter, GA, Domestic, flying schools and build a new terminal on the field opposite.
That would spend about £20m.

madbadrob
4th Dec 2005, 09:15
7006 fan said KLM previously operated from Doncaster...er no I don't think so.
I believe you meant Sheffield Airport, you know the one that has now closed because of Finningley
Humberside_go

Hmmm without getting into a fight over this I am afraid you are wrong. I clearly said Doncaster Airport rather than DSA because Doncaster had a airport a long time before DSA came about. In fact Doncaster held the very first Air Show. But rather than have you take my word for it take a look at http://www.aeroventure.org.uk/history.php

I am sure that will shock you and you don't need to apologise.

Rob

symphonyangel
4th Dec 2005, 09:25
7006 fan - You forget that to obtain Euro funding the airport owners have to invest a far far greater amount to lever any support out. Probably 5 - 10 times the amount before any funding support becomes available. If HUY owners thought your idea for a £20m project is a good investment, they can do it and apply for some funding.

airhumberside
4th Dec 2005, 10:40
humberside_go, I would visit the jetblast forum

coasting
4th Dec 2005, 10:41
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KLM previously operated from Doncaster...er no I don't think so.
I believe you meant Sheffield Airport, you know the one that has now closed because of Finningley
Humberside_go

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KLM did operate Lockheed Electras on a route Amsterdam - Hull (not Humberside Airport) - Doncaster - Speke, as has been stated in the late 1930s. My father cycled down from Leeds to see KLM operate their new DC-2 through Doncaster, in lieu of the Electra on one such occasion! Somewhere I have a picture of it,if I can find it I will make it available.

7006 fan
4th Dec 2005, 16:21
I take my hat off in admiration and humbleness.
Hey, DSA & HUY have something in common. Both airports used to fly regularly to Germany as well.

:ok:

MrDearne
4th Dec 2005, 17:18
7006 fan - You forget that to obtain Euro funding the airport owners have to invest a far far greater amount to lever any support out. Probably 5 - 10 times the amount before any funding support becomes available. If HUY owners thought your idea for a £20m project is a good investment, they can do it and apply for some funding.

Symphonyangel is right 7006fan. How it used to work (I am not right sure about now) is that Euro and UK grants/funds are means tested. Doncaster qualified for high funding due to it being classed as an objective 1 priority...high unemployment, socio-economic problems, decimated industries, degraded land etc.
I could be wrong but I think PRIVATE sector investors/industries (in area designated as Objective 1) are asked to contribute like for like (pound for pound) but even this has pre-conditions attached as the money is released in stages and depending upon fulfilling the companies business plan criterion.
For example, if your company qualified for objective 1 status, and you needed £20 million to open a business, which planned to give jobs to 500 local people, you would need to contribute £10 million and the other £10 million would be released in stages until the 500 have been employed (this is a little simplistic but I am sure you get the gist).
This is why Doncaster is a haven for outside investment. Not only does it have excellent transport links but also it costs companies half the amount to set up business as it would in say North Lincolnshire.
Cards are stacked firmly against HUY, but it is still doing moderately well.
I appreciate it is not fair, but you can argue that it was not fair when tens of thousands lost their job in pits, steelworks and dependent industries in South Yorks, and the shipping, food and port industries in North Humberside and Grimsby. If HUY is eligible for funding then it is really up to MAG to pull its fingers out…but I don’t think it will because as Symphonyangel mentioned, I think it would not get pound for pound funding. My guess is that it would need to put in between 50 and 100 million to get the £20 million you wish for…and this isn’t going to happen.
My wish…and I say this because I genuinely want HUY to do well, is that someone comes in and makes an offer to MAG for HUY. MAG is a great company but its effort are for MAN. Under the right stewardship HUY could be a little goldmine.

7006 fan
5th Dec 2005, 18:45
At last, the green hangar has gone into operation.
Ayone else see the Flyglobespan.com arrive this afternoon. Too dark to see the reg', but it was towed to the hangar and disappeared inside.
Are Globespan operating from HUY? or is it just a one off, plane got lost and needed a bed for the night!!!
Scotches rumours about it being an upholstry waarehouse or whatever!
Big chunky 737-800.

markflyer6580
5th Dec 2005, 19:20
upholstry waarehouse
Upholstery warehouse you mean?:p

It was mentioned in the early part of the build whilst I was in ATC one afternoon,that maintainance was going to be undertaken in the new hangar.
Could be the reason,but there have been that many theories that it could be Blair force one in disguise for all we know!
I'm sure some spotter will keep us posted,however when I fly on wed,I will have a bimble over and take a peek.:ok:

7006 fan
6th Dec 2005, 06:58
It would appear it is a 738 in for a quick lick of paint. A couple more are due in over the next few weeks, would be great i they then decided to carry SLF out of HUY as well

markflyer6580
6th Dec 2005, 10:52
That would be great,more routes and airlines out of HUY means more jobs for all of us trainee pilots!
Plus everybody likes to watch jets flying around:ok:

aeulad
6th Dec 2005, 11:37
Looks like Ryanair's summer 2006 schedule is filtering through today, fingers crossed for HUY to be on the list, although I don't expect it to be:{

Regards

Mike

7006 fan
13th Dec 2005, 20:30
Another Globespan went into the big green hangar this week, Monarch.com parked up tonight, things are looking good for HUY!
F100 coming in from KLM, SAAB 340's from Eastern Airways, Jet Provosts, helicopters, Tupolev 204 cargo planes... spotters paradise at the moment!
Come on HUY get some serious traffic moving here, travelled London return on the train (Do people seriously do this every day!, naff all space in the train in both directions and paid the train companies £130 odd quid for the privilege), no objection to paying ditto for a flight, so what if one can fly to Paris for a Tenner from DSA arriving 11pm, a flight to LCY arriving 8.30 from HUY is worth the additional £120, what are the alternatives, train at 7am from Scunny arriving London c.9.45am, set forth on the M-way at 6am then pay for parking in C. London plus the Congestion Charge and parking. WAKE UP GUYS!!!!!!!!!

Richard Taylor
13th Dec 2005, 20:51
7006 Fan:

Saab340s from Eastern??

You're getting excited !

You mean its bigger brother surely...;)

markflyer6580
13th Dec 2005, 21:25
A saab 2000 took off shortly after I landed this eve at 1820 ish,didn't see a 340 about. Its parked here a lot,lovely looking aeroplane.Not sure what the Monarch 757 was doing here though.;)

aeulad
14th Dec 2005, 11:40
These movements are great, however, all the hype and rumours about scheduled flights appear to have amounted to nothing:rolleyes:

I hold out little hope now for any kind of announcement, as most airlines have announced their summer 2006 programmes. It seems HUY may increase throughput a little next year with the new IT flights, but with no scheduled flights on the horizon, it certainly won't top 2004's performance pax wise.

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
14th Dec 2005, 17:57
The MON was to operate the annual Lapland flight for the charity 'When You Wish Upon A Star'

airhumberside
18th Dec 2005, 19:20
It has been reported in the travel industry press that Sunworld Holidays are in advanced talks talks to start services from HUY from next winter with an announcement early next year

Anyone know any more about this? Thanks

airhumberside
21st Dec 2005, 08:18
The local BBC TV News is reporting that there will be a low cost airline announcing flights today from HUY (probably FR)

madbadrob
21st Dec 2005, 08:51
Thats good news but what local news station would that be. I heard nothing on Look North or Calendar last night

Rob

dwlpl
21st Dec 2005, 08:56
One daily route to Dublin starting 28th April.

airhumberside
21st Dec 2005, 09:33
Thats good news but what local news station would that be. I heard nothing on Look North or Calendar last night
Was on Look North (Hull version) this morning

This is off course fantastic news for HUY. A very good early Christmas present :)

GrahamK
21st Dec 2005, 09:53
Will they manage to fill a 738 from HUY though, that is the question? Especially with FR already at LBA and DSA.
I fear that this may turn out to be an unwise decision from FR.

Travel Agent
21st Dec 2005, 11:04
airhumberside - Sunworld Holidays are the irish division of Thomas Cook, they changed names in the UK first to JMC then to Thomas Cook Tour Operations, I have not seen anything in the two main travel papers - TTG and Travel Weekly - about any further flights, apart from the Excel ones that have been announced.

Nice Jam
21st Dec 2005, 14:14
Charterguy:
FR at HUY ? Dream on.

Hmm?

And what about NikNak, have you got anything to add?

airhumberside
21st Dec 2005, 14:50
The original information came from the Travel Trade Press and was posted on another forum if that helps. Apparently they have a programme out of Prestwick including Lapland

7006 fan
21st Dec 2005, 19:41
Absolutely marvellous news for Humberside, although I still maintain my opinions of lo-co, the development of the Airport's flight programme is good news for the local economy and allows access to another International airport from HUY, not checked out flight prices from Dublin with Air Fungus but opens up possibilities -obviously not interlining!
Should push pax to over 600,000pa with ease.

markflyer6580
21st Dec 2005, 20:13
There is a small article in the East Riding Mail (or 'ull delly mell as they say on this side of the river!) that ryanair will start in april,sounds good to me but as Graham k says I'm not sure they will fill it.
If the airport got a grip and replaced the bus shelter they claim is a terminal they may stand a chance,you can't move in there on a thursday if you are lucky there is only about 10 flights!:ok:

niknak
21st Dec 2005, 20:19
Nice Jam,

As I've said many times before, I've no axe to grind with HUY, I just don't think the catchment area is big enough to sustain such flights, especially with DSA down the road.

Under the low cost terms & conditions which FR tell airports like HUY they will operate under, FR will not be paying HUY anything for at least 6 months.
After this they will only pay a minimal charge per head and probably very low or no landing fees at all.
Additionally, when HUY to start charging FR, there will almost certainly be a "turn around time penalty clause", whereby if the aircraft isn't turned around within the time specified (usually 20mins), FR don't pay anything at all.

Dublin will be popular, but on the all round trip, thats nearly 200 out of the 280 or so seats that have to be filled EVERY day it operates to make it worthwhile for FR to operate the service, and in the interim, HUY get little or no income from it.

Cosmetically it looks good, but it wouldn't stand the scrutiny of the Dragons Den.

Buster the Bear
21st Dec 2005, 21:39
If you assume that you are going to make little, or even nothing from the passengers flying RYR, then you have to aim to make a profit from ancillary services, like car parks, sarnies, cups of coffee etc.

These facilities are on offer already and no doubt under used at times? You have to maximise 'fleecing' the passengers to make money.

I am sure that there is cash to be had from Brussels to assist this region to grow. Airports generate wealth by having connections to bring business and industry into a growing economy. My guess is that Humberside and Ryanair have tapped into this resource?

Think of the destinations that are now available via Dublin, albeit that you cannot through book. A good friend of mine lives close to Inverness. He books a return flight to Luton, and a return to his destination (via Luton) allowing a good boozing session in the tinminal, just in case his inbound flight is delayed. He reckons that it is cheaper to buy 2 separate returns than drive, then park at Edinburgh/Glasgow if he books early?

madbadrob
22nd Dec 2005, 00:14
It seems that HUY as got a lo co at last. Ryan Air have announced a new route to Dublin that being HUY http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news.php?yr=05&month=dec&story=rte-en-211205 Although I do wonder if these will be affected by the late deliveries of the 737-800 from boeing

Rob

aeulad
22nd Dec 2005, 09:43
This is excellent news!

Not a moment too soon!

I am however, also a little concerned as to whether they will be able to get an acceptable return on these flights. 189 is a lot to fill every day. However, if BOH, MME and ABZ can work with a -200, with eventual upgrading to a -800, factoring in the much reduced operating costs of the newer model, maybe HUY can work aswell. I would have gone in with a mon, wed, fri, sat, sun service to start with.

Regards

Mike

madbadrob
22nd Dec 2005, 14:14
The 737 - 200 is defunct for FR after December because they have sold all this stock and the pilots rating ceases then having all been rated now on the -800 which is why they are estimating some 200 flights a month cancelled until Boeing get the orders fulfilled

Rob

7006 fan
22nd Dec 2005, 19:02
Got to agree with Buster the Bear on this.

Lo-co's expect free this that and the other, woe any airport who thinks they will make any money out of the aircraft (landing fees and so forth), it is all in the car parking and shops. Most Lo-co pax seem to use it for business or short stays and most tend to drive to the airportt they use to depart because the flight is so cheap. So by definition more car park revenue. 189 seats and say 40 of the pax drive and stay for a weekend car parking at Humberside is what?... £10 a day, that is £30 a person/car so £1,200 daily...it soon mounts up. Also abite to eat in the restaurant plus a beer coz they know the ones on the plane cost a fortune, quick bit of duty paid (Gin, Scotch etc coz what you get abroad is not the same!!) and yes lo-co does make money for the airport, but they have to get it right; additional parking, apron terminal works, all of which are huge investments -else disaster looms. We know Ryanair will only run as long as a route works so an airport would look darn stupid spending millions just for the lo-co to pull the plug after 6 months, someting I am sure will not happen at HUY as long as they can turn 'em round in 20 minutes!!!

AndyHUY
23rd Dec 2005, 13:23
It is brilliant news for HUY and i realy hope it works. Ive booked my tickets.

In some news articles the director of scheduled revenue for FR has said that they wioll be looking at opening up more routes from HUY if the DUB does well.

It has every reason to. Look how well the AMS does and FR are a major carrier of which HUY hasnt ever seen....

I hope theyve done their homework.

phil_2405
23rd Dec 2005, 15:49
I guess Ryanair and the Manchester Airport Group have done some kind of group deal?:

MAN: new service to SNN
EMA: new base
HUY: new service to DUB
BOH: nothing extra as yet but existing 3 routes.

AndyHUY
23rd Dec 2005, 15:55
I guess Ryanair and the Manchester Airport Group have done some kind of group deal?:

As the rumour was, the HUY deal was to do with the favourable terms offered for the base at NEMA. I think that will be why DSA was not chosen as a base, so ive heard anyway.

Talks with airlines are rumoured to be held at group level so hopefuly there may be more in store for HUY but for the time being i hope all goes well for the first lo-co operator at HUY:ok:

panda-k-bear
24th Dec 2005, 13:50
:D Congratulations to HUY! :ok: I'm thrilled that there's another scheduled airline coming in and hope the airport thrives on it - but it's early days yet....

airhumberside
3rd Jan 2006, 10:22
Happy New Year to all HUY supporters

The Airtours 3rd Edition Summer Sun brochure shows the Helios Larnaca flight as being a scheduled one, not charter as in the past. Could be a mistake but if not looks like a new scheduled destination and scheduled airline

Going loco
3rd Jan 2006, 14:35
"scheduled" airline selling blocks of seats to tour operators or "charter" flight offering blocks of seats to customers on a seat only basis. Its all semantics really and nothing at all to get excited about.

loco

airhumberside
6th Jan 2006, 21:28
TCX will operate a Monday DLM charter this summer for Thomas Cook and Thomson. (PGT will also run a Monday DLM charter for First Choice, Panorama and Manos)

7006 fan
24th Jan 2006, 18:33
Gather the Commercial Manager is off, what is happening at HUY?

aeulad
7th Feb 2006, 14:24
Looking like there will be 4 weekly flights to Dalaman this summer.

Monday PGT operating for First Choice and Mytravel
Monday TCX operating for Thomas Cook and Thomson
Friday PGT operating for Mytravel
Friday XLA operating for XL.com

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
7th Feb 2006, 16:41
Also the weekly Eurocypria charter to Larnaca is now a scheduled flight

blahblahblah
7th Feb 2006, 20:12
Would be surprised to see all those DLM, big four appear to all be reviewing Turkey capacity, and what is up with the Excel programme. If you go to their web and compare the Summer 2006 flight timetable with what is offered on the drop down menu if you were to try and book then several routes not showing, CFU, ZTH, FUE to name but three?:(

airhumberside
7th Feb 2006, 20:22
CFU, FUE and ZTH where to be operated when it was expected XLA would base 1 and a half aircraft at HUY for this summer. There was even a HUY press release. However the aircraft that was to be based all week has been pulled for reasons that arent certain and XLA will just base an aircraft 3/4 days a week. FUE however will be operated by Air Europa this summer

blahblahblah
7th Feb 2006, 20:43
aaah ... thanks for that, shame for HUY tho. Suspect the support from Tour Ops was maybe not as hoped... too concerned with trying to fill their excessive capacities at MAN!

aeulad
8th Feb 2006, 21:05
The fully based XL machine did not come about because of 2 main reasons;

1. XL did not physically have an a/c to base at HUY all week in addition to the part based unit, and so would have had to sub charter.
2. The fully based unit would have had a lot of down time, and so in the end, even though the new flights were selling well, including CFU and ZTH, the operation would not have been viable.

In other HUY related news, Servisair at HUY have won two prestidgeous awards;

Britannia Initiative Ready, Steady, Win!
81 per cent of their flights went out with a full passenger list ahead of schedule during a 26 week campaign.

KLM 5 crown status
KLM has awarded 5 crown status to the team at HUY. The award recognises the team's punctuality, baggage handling and friendly, efficient check-in and boarding.

Regards

Mike

aeulad
24th Feb 2006, 18:23
HUY and Jet2 will very shortly be in discussions as to scheduled services ex-HUY.

Regards

Mike

toledoashley
24th Feb 2006, 18:24
Very Good news - Could we be expecting Tenerife/Belfast/Pisa/Murcia/London/Malaga/Cork

WOWBOY
24th Feb 2006, 18:54
That's Good News I hope a decision is made.

Is Humberside in the North of England :p

I would like to see them operate EDI/BFS/GLA/LON/ORK/TFS/ALC etc

airhumberside
24th Feb 2006, 20:09
HUY is in the North of England

IF the talks between the airport and Jet 2 are successful I would expect destinations along the lines of BFS/TFS/PRG/PMI/AGP/ALC/MJV/FAO

NCLRULES
25th Feb 2006, 08:16
If Jet2 was to operate from HUY I would think they would go for basic destinations first e.g. Malaga, Alicante, Palma and Murcia.

Jet2LBA
25th Feb 2006, 10:30
NCLRules, I would tend to agree with your choice. Maybe a once or twice weekly TFS too. These are pretty safe routes to start off with, should Jet2 choose to fly from HUY.

Fingers crossed.

aeulad
25th Feb 2006, 12:15
From a genuine source, the airport would ideally like a base set up for the winter 06/07 season. Destinations on the wishlist for one based a/c are Alicante, Amsterdam, Belfast, Geneva, Malaga and Paris. Summer 07 would see two based a/c with flights to Barcelona, Faro, Murcia and Palma added and frequencies increased to ALC and AGP. This is what HUY is hoping for. I fully expect Jet2 flights to commence from HUY either in time for winter 06/07or for summer 07.

Regards

Mike

NCLRULES
25th Feb 2006, 14:38
Sounds good. Belfast and Paris are destinations I should of included in my previous list.

airhumberside
25th Feb 2006, 15:09
Sorry to sound so negative but it must be remembered that this isnt the first time HUY and Jet 2 have talked. There is no guarentee flights will start. Fingers crossed but probably best not to get too excited just yet

Also on a slightly negative note, the Sunday TOM flight to Palma will be operated by a B757 all summer. There will be no appearance by a B767 as TOM will not base one at LBA for the start of this years summer season

However good news is that January passengers numbers where 0.7% up compared to the same month last year

aeulad
25th Feb 2006, 16:04
Excel Airways have placed an order for 737-700, 800 and 900s. I would expect HUY will benefit from XL expansion from Summer 2007. Could they be planning on increasing frequency to the likes of Malaga and Palma, and selling them more as low cost seat only flights? The 737-700 would be the perfect a/c for route expansion from HUY to the likes of Reus, Malta, Sharm el Sheikh, Varna, Zakynthos and Kos. Maybe one of them will come to HUY.

Regards

MIke

mpr27
25th Feb 2006, 17:14
Why are they bothering with HUY when they could use Doncaster Sheffield?
DSA has far better facilities, and is much closer to centres of population such as Sheffield and Leeds, as well as Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham etc.
I know HUY is only a few miles away but people from, for example, Sheffield, won't travel to HUY when they can just as easily get to MAN. DSA however is very centrally situated and has a potentially massive catchment area. It's underutilised at the moment because people perceive it as difficult to get to (which it isn't) but all that will change when the motorway link road is opened, possibly followed by a rail link from the nearby East Coast Main Line. :ok:

aeulad
25th Feb 2006, 17:18
Humberside has held it's own against DSA, they are existing harmoniously, there should be no rivalry. Why should XL and LS not bother with HUY? DSA already has TOM, so why start duplicate routes from there, when they can operate and be well supported at HUY with no competition. 2006 will be HUY's busiest year so far, with all the new flights.

Regards

Mike

CentreFix25
25th Feb 2006, 17:23
2 B737-700s arriving 1st half of 2007 from ILFC
2 B737-700s arriving 1st half of 2007 from RBS
2 B737-800s arriving 2nd quarter of 2008 from GECAS
2 B737-900ERs arriving May 2008 from GECAS

I think the 700s would be a good aircraft for HUY.

mpr27
25th Feb 2006, 17:26
I've got absolutely nothing against HUY. However I have been concerned that the Manchester Airport Group were only showing interest in expanding ops from there in order to damage DSA, which they see as a major threat to EMA and MAN. Until DSA opened the vast majority of South Yorks people (including me) took their holidays via MAN, and occasionally EMA. LBA and HUY hardly got a look in. Now DSA has opened MAG can see they are losing the people who previously used MAN or EMA to DSA.
Hence they are offering Ryanair, Excel, and possibly now Jet2Com preferential deals at HUY in order to drag people away from DSA. I'm not convinced it'll be possible to rig the market like this for long, but it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens next.

aeulad
25th Feb 2006, 17:36
I think DSA was a bit of a wake up call for HUY, but when considering the catchment area, the majority of HUY's pax come from places that are actually closer than DSA, so it is actually easier for them to use HUY. What is wrong with HUY trying to compete, it has been successful so far. HUY-DUB flights are reportedly considerably outselling DSA-DUB.

Regards

Mike

Jet2LBA
25th Feb 2006, 17:51
DSA has far better facilities, and is much closer to centres of population such as Sheffield and Leeds, as well as Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham etc.
They are bothering because the people of Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire find HUY more convenient. If services with similar fares to those from DSA can be offered from HUY, then most folks from this particular region would use HUY.
Most people want convenience (ie less time/hassle) above facilities. Just as in view of my location I always prefer to use LBA due to convenience wherever possible over MAN, which has far better facilities.

jj69
25th Feb 2006, 18:11
I think the 700s would be a good aircraft for HUY.

Where's the info on the 737-700's come from?
The Avion press release says 2x 737-900ER & 4x 737-800's. I've not seen a mention of 737-700's anywhere?

POL1W
25th Feb 2006, 18:52
"Hence they are offering Ryanair, Excel, and possibly now Jet2 preferential deals at HUY in order to drag people away from DSA. I'm not convinced it'll be possible to rig the market like this for long, but it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens next."

Do you not think that's what Peel did with DSA to try and drag people away from HUY and LBA. I wonder how much Peel are paying TUI to operate these schedules with their abysmal 20-30% load factors, or how much they offered Ezyjet to do a GVA, and RYR to do a DUB barely carrying just over 50%, both heavily committed to Peel at LPL I must say. Obviously their plan is now backfiring. DSA have a major company in TUI, the main operator there and no one else wants to to even bother competing with them now. So, if Excel do well at HUY, good luck to them and lets hope they expand. If Jet 2.com start here, I'm sure they'll do very well as they are now very well known throughout the north of England. Looking at the DSA pax figures I would'nt bother to start an operation from there.
HUY will do just fine with its catchment area and DSA's catchment area too.
HUY was here long before DSA became a pax airport, so you can't claim that they are taking away your pax. DSA will just have to build a pax base like every other airport has done. But can Peel wait that long ? they do like their huge shopping centre complexes.

7006 fan
25th Feb 2006, 19:21
Let us all hope this will not degenerate into DSA-HUY bashing again, gets tedious, I must raise a wry smile though at mpr 27's comment:
However I have been concerned that the Manchester Airport Group were only showing interest in expanding ops from there in order to damage DSA
Forgive me if I am wrong and have missed something in all my years in business. Isn't that what it is all about, breaking the competition to maximise profits. Peel did not buy DSA as a gesture of goodwill, I do not think they are a philanthropic operation, they saw an opportunity and took it. More than likely the aviation side will go to rack and ruin, if those load factors quoted are correct but what must not be forgotten is the huge amount of development land tht came with the purchase, worth far more than aviation income any-day. Doncaster is Objective One deprived are, means people have no bunce for joliholi, therefore pax must come from elsewhere, i.e. other catchments EMA, LBA, HUY, MAN, all that happens is the pax move around and that is not fair for DSA to steal pax from these airports is it as it will 'damage' them.
Regrettably, 'all is fair in love and war.'

bundybear
26th Feb 2006, 09:10
POL 1W,
Dont know where you are getting your load factors from for flights out of DSA, the cabins I see are more like 80-90% full.
Have operated into HUY as well over the years, and have always thought it was a well run show. Best of luck to HUY and its growing business.
Still a lot shorter than DSA, long enough granted on most occasions, but nothing looks better on a blustery wet day when you pop out of cloud on approach than 3 km's of runway.
I guess its going to be the Peel pound Vs the Manchester money.
BB

LBIA
26th Feb 2006, 12:20
Hi bundybear & All

Dont know where you are getting your load factors from for flights out of DSA, the cabins I see are more like 80-90% full.

Heres the official DSA Passenger Stats from the CAA website for the month of Januray 2006.

Charter (TUI)
PFO 1,395 92%
LPA 2,627 77%
MIR 1,438 97%
TFS 4,739 84%
ALC 1,184 78%
LYS 922 82%
TRN 880 53%

Scheduled
RYR : DUB 6,320 54%
EZS : GVA 4,781 54%
TOM :AMS 3,001 38%
TOM :FAO 1,999 49%
TOM : PRG 3,461 53%
TOM : AGP 5,650 59%
TOM : ALC 4,595 66%
TOM : JER 1,835 35%
TOM : ORY 2,608 30%
TOM : LYS 1,395 27%

mpr27
26th Feb 2006, 12:24
I agree with much of what 7006 fan is saying - this is very much a cut throat business. However the DSA loading figures POL1W quotes are incorrect, as Bundybear has pointed out. The DSA charters even in the winter are doing exceptionally well, and last summer most of the scheduled routes were well filled as well. Bookings for next summer are good too. This winter there has been over capacity on some routes (most noticeably Lyon) but it's mischievous to suggest the overall loadings are as low as 20-30%.

With any new airport there is inevitably a trial and error process to find which routes and timings work best - inevitably there'll be some failures before you hit on the successful formula.

I'd love to see all these airports thrive. I don't trust MAN's motives though. They want to suppress the 'local' airports and force people from the North to have to travel to Manchester as we had to in the past for the majority of flights. It's not just a question of everything in business being fair competition - remember it's not a level playing field because of the way MAN is financed. They are financed by the Manchester taxpayer but are competing with private companies. It's a moot point whether Manchester taxpayers' money should be used to deny taxpayers East of the Pennines the opportunity have a wide range of flights available closer to home.

At the end of the day all these airports can only survive if the long term demand for air travel increases in line with current predictions. I hope (and think for what that's worth!) it will, but we have hit a bit of a blip at the moment due to current economic factors. The main loser from DSA succeeding will inevitably be MAN because for many years most people from East of the Pennines have travelled to MAN for their holiday flights. What MAN are trying to do now is redress the balance by encouraging those people to go from EMA or HUY instead of DSA. However I do wonder whether MAG really do have a long term committment to EMA and HUY or whether that interest would rapidly disappear if (God forbid) DSA was to close.

A fascinating situation is starting to develop. I look forward to some interesting debates in the future.

SeamusCVT
26th Feb 2006, 13:42
The Civil Aviation Statistics are not 100% correct. Whereas I do not doubt for one moment the total number of passengers that passed through the airport for each destination, the charter statistics for LPA and TFS do not tell the whole story. These routes are sold as mixed model flights with Thomsonfly, on the 737-800. This essentially means that for TFS on Sundays 109 seats on each flight are sold as charter packages with Thomson Holidays, and yet the other 80 are sold as scheduled seats, on Tuesdays 80 seats are sold through Thomson Holidays, with 109 being sold as scheduled, and on Fridays, 60 seats are sold as scheduled and 129 via Thomson Holidays as a charter package. For DSA - LPA on Mondays and Thursdays, Thomson Holidays take 109 seats, and the remaining 80 seats are sold as scheduled.

mmeman
28th Feb 2006, 21:07
Slight thread creep from Humberside, but again using CAA figures, it seems figures for routes from Leeds where there are services from DSA are down in January 2006 compared to January 2005-

CDG -19%
AMS -3%
FAO -44%
ALC -22%
AGP -21%
GVA -7%
PRG -9%

Does this mean some passengers are using DSA instead of Leeds or did Jet2 just not operate as many services as they did the previuos winter?

Travel Agent
1st Mar 2006, 06:34
I know HUY is only a few miles away but people from, for example, Sheffield, won't travel to HUY when they can just as easily get to MAN. DSA however is very centrally situated and has a potentially massive catchment area. It's underutilised at the moment because people perceive it as difficult to get to (which it isn't) but all that will change when the motorway link road is opened, possibly followed by a rail link from the nearby East Coast Main Line. :ok:

A lot of customers I deal with who live in that area would far rather travel from DSA, LBA, EMA or HUY over Manchester. It's usually cheaper for car parks and less packed than MAN

rudolf
1st Mar 2006, 10:46
Driving to Manchester is a nightmare. Today it took me three and a half hours from Lincoln. Humberside or Doncaster, I don't really mind, anything is better than making this journey every week!

airhumberside
23rd Mar 2006, 18:02
Not much airline news/rumours at the moment

However I have heard that there is a lot of recruitment at HUY at the moment. Initially for construction workers but could later mean new jobs in other sectors

Anyone know anything more? It may just be expansion of the business park or at Eastern

panda-k-bear
29th Mar 2006, 11:02
Wow - I'm shocked by the figures LBIA gave. I would say with certainty that 8 of the 10 scheduled routes quoted are below BELF and probably all 10, though ALC is marginal. Still, the figures ARE from January and must increase in the summer season. However, 4 of those routes would be immediately chopped from the company I work for if we were at those load factors over winter season...

p-k-b

mpr27
29th Mar 2006, 19:38
Why the intense critical scrutiny of the DSA loadings? How do other airports' winter loadings compare?

Even if some DSA routes are struggling isn't this to be expected for a new airport? It'll take some trial and error to find which routes work and which don't.

I've flown 4 times from DSA, including once this winter, and with the single exception of the now discontinued TOM route to DUB the flights have all been very nearly full, and one from Malaga was completely full.

I detect some anti DSA propaganda from some parts.

panda-k-bear
30th Mar 2006, 06:48
"Why the intense critical scrutiny of the DSA loadings?"

Ummm. Should I really answer that? Because if the load factors are poor then the demand is poor. That ususally means that the route isn't profitabel because you are below BELF. This focus is, surely, justified as an assessment of whether airlines are making money from DSA? If that continues, then either the airlines will have to drop the unprofitable routes (most airlines aren't, as far as I know, charities) or the airline itself will go bankrupt.

"Even if some DSA routes are struggling isn't this to be expected for a new airport?"

Don't know. Is it? You tell us. There haven't been many "new" airports in the last 15 years or so, so the market dynamics are probably little understood in the modern day.

"...one from Malaga was completely full"

Judging by the stats published by the CAA, it was the only one that was 100% full, then. One swallow does not a summer make.

It isn't anti-DSA, for goodness sake. I don't care which airports live or die. It's merely a comment on the "official" CAA statistics, which seem to show that load factors are not all they need to be at the moment. Average load factors of 30% over 1 month will mean unsustainable losses. Sorry idf you don't like it, but it's true.

aeulad
30th Mar 2006, 12:16
This is a HUMBERSIDE thread can we please keep things to topic, if you want to post about DSA, do it in the DSA thread!

Regards

Mike

panda-k-bear
30th Mar 2006, 14:46
Why, is there something to say? At least this way the thread stays on page 1 instead of, a couple of weeks ago, page 5 or 6.

Please take a happy pill - you entered the debate yourself, after all!

Have a jolly nice day.

p-k-b

7006 fan
30th Mar 2006, 17:23
Interested in AirH's mention of construction workers. HUY do not employ 'construction workers' coz they don't build anything unless it is copper-bottomed. The big job at the moment is car park expansion so lots of digger work and black-top but not a lot else. The last Airport build was the Police heliport, everything else is tenant motivated. Gather the Police heliport nearly fell flat, as the Airport wanted too much rent etc but that seems to be the story of HUY; people end up getting lumbered with high rents that they cannot escape from and then the Airport pumps up charges on a like or lump basis. What is it now? +7% on GA landing fees (errr what happened to inflation, the argument used by the bigwigs when the wage review was being dished out!), they say it is because the fees were, histoically, set to low (oh and whose fault was that, not GA that is for certain), so now it is like or lump and gather some are voting with their feet.
But at least there is Excel Airways and Ryanair; who will lose the route first DSA or HUY, surely 2x DUB cannot be supported within 45mins of eachother, will be interesting to watch! :ouch: :E
Gather the Commercial Manager has gone and the Op's Manager is on the way, anyone any info?

mpr27
30th Mar 2006, 17:50
I agree a Humberside thread isn't the place to discuss the merits of DSA, but it is an appropriate place to consider the relative performance of our local airports. After all that can indicate whether the market is approaching saturation, which will affect all of us. I'd be very interested to see a comparison of passenger loadings at DSA compared to HUY, EMA, LBA and MAN - I have seen average numbers per flight which show DSA and MAN doing well, the others less so, but I appreciate this isn't the whole story.

pug
30th Mar 2006, 18:35
who will lose the route first DSA or HUY, surely 2x DUB cannot be supported within 45mins of eachother,

Well if you look at it like that, its bound to be HUY, they have just announced new services from DSA..... You seem to be fed up 7006, do you know something we dont?

airhumberside
30th Mar 2006, 19:17
It has been posted on the BOH thread jobs will be lost at HUY due to the centralisation of commercial and finance departments across MAG

Punditgreen
31st Mar 2006, 14:39
Non-Operational matters for BOH HUY and EMA are being centralised at EMA, so there are inevitable job losses. Commercial Mgr probably saw it coming so got out quick.
HUY has never had an Ops Mgr, General Mgr being replaced by a new man with a different title. New post, Airfield (Airside) Ops Mgr, to be appointed.
Much ado about nothing much.

7006 fan
31st Mar 2006, 17:24
Put it this way, HUY has had loads of chances and missed out because they take the short view, worrying about whether they will be there next year so they won't plan long. Heard they have a brilliant master plan in the offing, about the same pax figures as they predicted a few years ago, 1.2m in about 10 years, ambitious or what? HUY needs to get dynamic...or die it is as simple as that. I couldn't run a business based upon what 5% growth per annum (in straight line terms, obviously 50% over ten years is a lot less growth pa, in fact it most probably equates to the growth of the average family travelling, so they are not growing the market just relying on the 2.4 becoming 3.4!
250,000 pax outbound one new kid per family makes about 50,000pa add in the teen mums etc and it is plausible!
I will start thinking HUY has cracked it when they get 2 or 3 non-charter routes in addition to KLM and it will not happen, out of hours operating charges and top dollar landing charges are a dis-incentive to growth, but that is a MAN thing!

bob marley
3rd Apr 2006, 14:40
top dollar landing fees???
youre having a giraffe son

7006 fan
3rd Apr 2006, 18:23
Bob Marley,
Try landing outside their published hours and you will wail, even if a big jet is flying in the out of hours thing still applies -even though the airport is open nearly 24/7 this Summer on occasion, according to the timetable. Sorry when I wrote top dollar I meant non-negotiable, unless you are an operator with huge clout!
Speak to the GA guys, they will tell you, not just the one-off puddle-jumper but the Commercial GA, it can be like missing the last train. If the weather holes you up somewhere you cannot fly into HUY without paying a fortune once past that magic number, so it is either pay up or stay over for the night!
With an ex Walmart person consolidating everything in Nottingham Asda, would have thought the stack it high sell it low philosophy would apply, or is that just staff!

aeulad
11th Apr 2006, 18:09
Just a little update;

Tui/Thomson is in discussions with the airport, and expansion from them is likely.

Excel sales are not as good as they could be, I'm not sure if that is the XL seat only part of the operation or the individual tour ops seat blocks on the XL flights. The impression is that it is the seat only that is mediocre at the moment. A fully based a/c is very much on the cards for S07.

Jet2 are not saying much at all about HUY ops, however, the airport team still see some potential.

Air Southwest have been contacted by the airport, and a meeting between HUY and WOW is scheduled for May.

Ryanair have said everything is going OK, but have not released forward bookings to the airport. The airport team will obviously be monitoring the loads when the service starts in a few weeks' time. Ryanair expansion at HUY is VERY unlikely following their recent DSA announcement.

Regards

Mike

WOWBOY
11th Apr 2006, 18:19
Air Southwest have been contacted by the airport, and a meeting between HUY and WOW is scheduled for May.

It is interesting that HUY contacted WOW and not the other way around :ok:

Do you have an idea on what the meeting will be about?

7006 fan
11th Apr 2006, 18:57
Now everything is centralised at NEMA, how will HUY fare. BIt of a neg-sell for HUY. Come and taslk to us about basing flights at HUY from our offices in Castle Donington! And HUY prides itself on being local to the local community, are the people at the top so deaf that they cannot see!

Saves them money coz they can't organise the proverbial in the brewery but what the heck!

airhumberside
11th Apr 2006, 19:30
Tui/Thomson is in discussions with the airport, and expansion from them is likely.
Good news but how big will any expansion be. I take it anything will be announced when the Summer 2007 brochures come out

Excel sales are not as good as they could be, I'm not sure if that is the XL seat only part of the operation or the individual tour ops seat blocks on the XL flights. The impression is that it is the seat only that is mediocre at the moment. A fully based a/c is very much on the cards for S07.
Things cant be that bad if expansion is on the cards. I must say though I have seen very little advertising from XL in the local area. The airport has done a good job advertising the new routes however

Sound promising. At least WOW are prepared to speak to us. Hopefully a BRS service could be possible in the near future

Ryanair have said everything is going OK, but have not released forward bookings to the airport. The airport team will obviously be monitoring the loads when the service starts in a few weeks' time. Ryanair expansion at HUY is VERY unlikely following their recent DSA announcement.
Not sure how good an indication this is but prices for the route are very low. I guess the CAA stats for May (first full month of operation) will make interesting reading. Again though I have seen very few adverts for the service. Indeed I have seen more for MME-DUB than HUY-DUB

7006 fan
11th Apr 2006, 19:50
Put it this way, HUY don't pay for anything, hence no ad's, they believe the pound (£) will find them, not the other way around. DREAM ON!

aeulad
11th Apr 2006, 20:12
I have to say 7006_fan that I disagree with your comments. In the past, HUY may not have been as active on the scene as most of us would have liked, but it IS talking to prospective airlines, and you might be surprised to hear that in fact, what is stopping the LCCs coming in is more to do with the demographics of the catchment area than the fact that HUY are completely ignorant to what is going on, THAT my friend, is from the big cheese's mouth!

The airport has, in fact been advertising considerably in the local press and online, not to mention a copy of their magazine with every issue of certain local newspapers at different times of the year. The LCC market is now somewhat saturated, with an excellent selection of destinations from nearby LBA and DSA, HUY will indeed find it a struggle, but we are starting down the right path with the DUB flights, which are selling in line with expectations. HUY WILL get a committed LCC, but unfortunately, there seems to be few suitable operators. With BE, the Q400 is too big for the likes of EDI, GLA, SOU and maybe even ABZ. The EM9, however, is a great size for the sun routes. With LS, the 733 is suited to sun routes, and the likes of AMS and CDG, however, domestic operations would be very limited. The ideal solution would be more along the lines of LS doing the sun routes, AMS and CDG and a smaller operator such as Air Southwest doing the likes of Bristol, Edinburgh and Belfast for example.

Tui expansion has not been finalised yet, but is not likely to involve anything LIKE basing an a/c at HUY. Maybe a few extra weekly flights for Summer 2007, at a guess, I would say maybe Bourgas, Corfu and Dalaman.

The Air Southwest service in prospect is Bristol, and we may see something come online for the winter 06/07 season, IF a suitable deal can be agreed.

It IS indeed frustrating, but the airport has'nt done too badly for 2006, the fish flights are almost daily, we have FR coming in and 4 new holiday routes, compared to previous years, that's quite good going. The story is not finished, not by a long shot!

Regards

Mike

7006 fan
11th Apr 2006, 20:35
Mike.
As you know from previous posts I am a HUY supporter, but there are things going on at the moment that are disturbing. Consolidation of operation (Marketing and Accounts, Commercial Manager going etc) Lack of in your face from HUY, does not inspire confidence. Just wait until summer to see if it all works. I worry!

Cheers

pug
12th Apr 2006, 22:42
what is stopping the LCCs coming in is more to do with the demographics of the catchment area than the fact that HUY are completely ignorant to what is going on,

I totaly agree with this statement, people like myself have believed for some time that the catchment area is big enough for a lot more at HUY BUT it is the propensity to fly which will be stopping some prospective airlines.

Another thing could be that any lo-co operator wishing to start HUY would be very restricted for potential growth, the sunspots of spain and islands etc and a few cities would be the most the catchment could sustain, is that an attractive proposition for a lo-co?

These talks with WOW could be interesting, do they operate from any london airport? This could fill the gap in the low fare domestic market if talks conclude favourably.

WOWBOY
12th Apr 2006, 23:00
These talks with WOW could be interesting, do they operate from any london airport? This could fill the gap in the low fare domestic market if talks conclude favourably.

They operste into London Gatwick Airport to/from NQY and PLH. :)

airhumberside
15th Apr 2006, 15:52
Corfu is on sale for Summer 2007 on Fridays with Kosmar:)

pug
15th Apr 2006, 18:08
They operste into London Gatwick Airport to/from NQY and PLH

Reason i ask is because HUY were doing a feasibility study into London flights, the a/c WOW use could be the right size for some sort of operation to LGW, but as is said it is likely to be a BRS service if anything!

Hopefuly the charter side of things will be higher for S07 with, fingers crossed, a full based XL a/c!

aeulad
16th Apr 2006, 14:58
In regards to whether HUY is an attractive option for LCCs, I would say yes and no. HUY could easily sustain something from Jet2 akin to their BLK operation. I would say a maximum of 2 based a/c of 737 size.

The discussions with WOW may not come off with any new routes, but talking to is better than not at all. I personally think that WOW would be the best carrier for HUY. 50 seats is a good size for low fares domestic and regional ops, and appropriate for the HUY market. BRS has no low fares to ABZ, WOW could operate BRS-HUY-ABZ twice a day, London Gatwick, Belfast, Cork, Jersey, Southampton or Bournemouth, Paris even something like Dusseldorf. I think London is unlikely, as I would think anything from the area to LGW would go from LBA.

CORFU is great news! It is likely to be operated with the XL machine, as the brochures are released, we should get a clearer picture of what XL has planned for HUY.

Regards

Mike

aeulad
18th Apr 2006, 12:10
Not sure where you got the info about Kosmar CFU on the website, I have looked and can't find anything.

However, according to their direct sales department, the flight is with Excel at 6am on Mondays.

Looks like we're definitely getting the full based a/c!

Regards

Mike

pug
18th Apr 2006, 17:38
Looks like we're definitely getting the full based a/c!

Hopefuly they will have enough time to secure an aircraft this time!
Any more on Jet2 yet Aeulad? Could they be seeing how the FR route does before committing to anything?

aeulad
18th Apr 2006, 20:02
All quiet on the Jet2 front, they are unsure about the demographics of the HUY catchment area.

Regards

Mike

pug
18th Apr 2006, 22:20
Oh, sorry i thought it was the airport that said that. Well i can see where they are coming from, can they not track ticket purchases for pax traveling with them from the humber region?

studentpilotmcuk
20th Apr 2006, 15:36
Is there any chance of the Humberside Dublin route coming back to humberside, I have heard that the big green hanger is going to be used for Eastern Airways. they are going to put there Flight Sim in there.

Regards SPMCUK :)

mmeteesside
20th Apr 2006, 15:40
can they not track ticket purchases for pax traveling with them from the humber region?

Maybe there aren't any to track? :}

pug
20th Apr 2006, 16:59
"Is there any chance of the Humberside Dublin route coming back to humberside"

Not sure what you mean by that?

pug
22nd Apr 2006, 11:13
DUB starts this friday, the same day DSA will celebrate its first birthday. Is it just a coincidence that FR begin their ops from HUY exactly a year after they began DSA services?

7006 fan
22nd Apr 2006, 13:19
News to me that the big green hangar is going to Eastern, gather it is the mingy little green one over-looking the apron. last time I looked 'big green' had proper aircraft in it (738's from Globespan).
Anyone heard how the sales figures for HUY-DUB are going, airport seem a bit quiet as to forward sales.
Can the region support 2 DUB services within 40mins drive distance of each-other. Gather the DSA-DUB is not performing well, maybe MoL wants to try somewhere different!

Cheers, off to play golf.

mpr27
23rd Apr 2006, 13:05
[QUOTE=7006 fan] Gather the DSA-DUB is not performing well, maybe MoL wants to try somewhere different!
QUOTE]

Have you any evidence to support this comment? It directly contradicts what many others have said.

My own (limited) observations have been that it is doing better than at least one of the new EMA Ryanair routes, on the days I've used them. I'd like to see detailed figures though.

Runway 31
23rd Apr 2006, 13:19
According to the CAA stats, the Doncaster-Dublin route carried 7367 passengers in March

mpr27
23rd Apr 2006, 15:05
I make that about a 63% loading, based on 118 passengers each flight on a 189 seater 737-800 every day. Seems like a pretty good performance to me. I'm sure HUY would be delighted with such figures.

Can't help feeling though that putting the DSA and HUY flights in direct competition won't be good for either route long term. Surely one will eventually be pulled, to be replaced by a twice daily flight from the other one.

The current lack of a return flight same day will put off business travellers, and also prevents day trips, that could be a potential market if the time between outwards and return flights is long enough.

pug
23rd Apr 2006, 16:22
I wouldnt be surprised, if the loads are acceptable from HUY, that FR will announce a couple of new routes next year as they have at DSA. I do agree that a single daily rotation is somewhat restrictive but wouldnt a double daily be overkill? If loads are not what they will hope then the route will be quickly pulled. If any one can make it work it will be FR, i am optimistic!

airhumberside
23rd Apr 2006, 16:46
I would have thought any extra FR routes would be dependent on a MAG deal with FR.

pug
24th Apr 2006, 17:52
I think that highly likely, MAG will be offering some great deals at HUY at the moment and FR have said themselves that if the DUB works ten more may follow!

aeulad
24th Apr 2006, 18:03
Have to say, that after the recent announcement of FR expansion at DSA, I cant see there being any more FR routes at HUY. I would have hoped for the likes of Barcelona GRO, Murcia, Malaga and maybe something like Esbjerg, but I don't think it will happen. IMO, HUY's potential for LCC service rests with Jet2, Flybe or Air Southwest, but you never know :)

Regards

Mike

pug
25th Apr 2006, 15:33
True aeulad but we all thaught the same when they announced DSA to DUB! I heard a rumour that FR were looking into a hahn service from HUY.... though dont quote me on that!

aeulad
25th Apr 2006, 19:31
CFU is on sale at XL, looks like it's definitely going ahead!

Regards

Mike

aeulad
27th Apr 2006, 14:47
THIS IS THE BEST NEWS SINCE RYANAIR!

SUNDAY SHARM EL SHEIKH WITH EXCEL FOR SUMMER 07!!!

BOOKABLE WITH AIRTOURS SO FAR!

REGARDS

MIKE!!!

windshear-a-head
27th Apr 2006, 17:34
Evening All,

Well according to this months roster, looks like I have the pleasure of operating one of the first TFS's out of HUY on the 5th of May for XL, early start though!

Cheers.

aeulad
27th Apr 2006, 17:50
Good luck Windshear, I headed the first Astraeus regular HUY flight to Malaga, and it was a great day, sure you'll be well recieved!

Regards

Mike

airhumberside
28th Apr 2006, 20:35
Ryanair started their new Dublin service today

spot-star
3rd May 2006, 15:02
Does anybody know why the Air Europa FUE was delayed today? It was sat awaiting clearance for twenty minutes or more.:confused:

aeulad
5th May 2006, 13:39
Zakynthos on sale with Manos!!!

So far we have;

PALMA
MAHON
IBIZA
TENERIFE
LAS PALMAS
ARRECIFE
FUERTEVENTURA
ALICANTE
FARO
MONASTIR
CORFU
HERAKLION
RHODES
ZAKYNTHOS
LARNACA
PAPHOS
BOURGAS
ANTALYA
BODRUM
DALAMAN
SHARM EL SHEIKH

Jersey is normally confirmed at a later date.

Looks like Malaga will not be returning charterwise for S07.

Great advance start to next year!

Regards

Mike

7006 fan
5th May 2006, 20:00
Can see why they got rid of the Marketing Dep't now can't you, must be all being done by the MD. Amazing.

:hmm:

niknak
6th May 2006, 00:59
7006 fan

If you own several different airports, yo don't need a marketing department at each one, all you need is the MD at each airport to keep a central marketing function up to speed with what's going on and what is predicted.

It's the same in any industry and should work just as well.

tinderbox
10th May 2006, 20:18
Does anybody know why the Air Europa FUE was delayed today? It was sat awaiting clearance for twenty minutes or more.:confused:
My info is that fire engine ran out of diesel

OOPS

Lew_HUY
11th May 2006, 07:24
tinderbox

Wouldn't be the first time thats happened this year also! :rolleyes:

There was a unusual flightcode the otherday listed "MAY999" from TFS anyone know what it eventually was? It must of landed early hours because it had cleared from the boards in the morning.

There must have been some kind of cockup at TFS as the AEA was majorly delayed also.

Lew

bob marley
20th May 2006, 09:36
There was a unusual flightcode the otherday listed "MAY999" from TFS anyone know what it eventually was? It must of landed early hours because it had cleared from the boards in the morning.

this was for test purposes for the system, nothing exciting!

aeulad
22nd May 2006, 14:15
Malaga on sale with XL for S07!

Brings the charter list to 23 destinations!

Regards

Mike

aeulad
25th May 2006, 15:32
XL now also selling an extra Saturday departure to Palma, making it 3 PMI flights full season next summer.

Here's the XL programme as it stands so far;

MONDAYS
a.m Corfu W with GLA

TUESDAYS
a.m ???
p.m Heraklion

WEDNESDAYS
a.m Paphos
p.m Rhodes

THURSDAYS
a.m Arrecife
p.m Malaga

FRIDAYS
a.m Tenerife
p.m ???

SATURDAYS
a.m Palma
p.m ???
p.m ???

SUNDAYS
a.m Sharm el Sheikh/Zakynthos???

Regards

Mike

Hotel Uniform Yankee
29th May 2006, 08:09
Ryan Air pax figures at HUY are not good, usually only about 60 onboard in the week and even less at weekends. Cannot see this lasting after the summer. Coupled with the rumours DSA have made KLM an offer they can't refuse, it could be quiet winter at HUY.

aeulad
29th May 2006, 09:15
The HUY-DUB flights are at a very early stage, it's only their first month of operation. However, the 738 is too big for the market. It HAS shown that there is a market for HUY-DUB flights, but probably with smaller aircraft from the likes of someone like Aer Arann.

KLM WILL NOT LEAVE HUY.

Regards

Mike

phil_2405
29th May 2006, 09:59
I've also heard that DSA is trying incredible hard to get KLM from HUY.

RobT100
29th May 2006, 10:55
Ryan Air pax figures at HUY are not good, usually only about 60 onboard in the week and even less at weekends. Cannot see this lasting after the summer. Coupled with the rumours DSA have made KLM an offer they can't refuse, it could be quiet winter at HUY.

This makes me chuckle, if true, shows how desperate DSA are getting. :)

aeulad
29th May 2006, 11:06
I don't doubt that DSA are trying to poach KLM from HUY, but if anything, KLM would fly from BOTH HUY and DSA. Don't forget DSA would incur competition from Tfly, who would be far from happy with DSA for enticing competition!

Regards

Mike

Teevee
29th May 2006, 12:22
As a DSA supporter I don't think DSA/Peel are desparate. I think they are just very good at what they do. Let's face it, this time last year everyone was having a giggle waiting for their whole venture to collapse. And come on, since DSA started flights HUY looks to have boomed. I don't remember seeing almost a full arrivals page list on teletext for HUY last year. It's a bit of a different story now. Seems MAG needed the wake up call. As for the KLM flights; KLM used to fly out of Sheffield City and I seem to recall that many of the flights were pretty full. That market must have gone somewhere, and I'm willing to bet not all of it went to HUY.

If the pax figure for Ryanair are right, then it is a shame. I think I read somewhere that pax figure for the DSA flight 738 are 73% or thereabouts. If Ryanair are moving to larger 737's then someone somewhere at MAG ought to be looking at another service provider for the 60 or so people per flight who want to go to Dublin from HUY.

The feeling around here is that TOM have never done a brilliant job on the Amsterdam route and might not be too sorry about competition. But again, I don't think the hoardes who fly from HUY will suddenly transfer to DSA, DSA has its own catchment independent of that.

It seems to me that MAG have been so complacent that they've never actually got around to finding and promoting what is the best market niche for HUY. If DSA coming along has done anything to change that and secure jobs then it is a blessing for both airports.

Tim

airhumberside
29th May 2006, 14:48
Coupled with the rumours DSA have made KLM an offer they can't refuse, it could be quiet winter at HUY.
Two points:

There is a market from the Humber region to AMS. Therefore Im sure KLM could serve both HUY and DSA. KLM are going to have annoyed, high yielding passengers if they moved to DSA. And I dont think KLM would want that

And if DSA have made KLM an offer they cant refuse, I hope HUY I have made one back. Its our most important service. Loose it and the airport will be half drowned. KLM to AMS offers worldwide connections and regular year round traffic.

pug
29th May 2006, 18:22
KLM leaving a route served constantly for over 30 years in favour of a brand new development in an area they pulled out from a few years ago?? If anything they will serve both. Stats show that less than 1% of the South Yorkshire travellers used HUY as a departure airport pre DSA, that suggests to me most of KLM's pax are from the Humber area.

KLM would be blatantly stupid to pull that service, if rumours are true then they will use BOTH HUY and DSA.

pug
1st Jun 2006, 12:43
Just to back my last post up.

KLM are introducing a fourth daily servive mon to fri from HUY! Not realy the sign of an airline wanting to up and leave??

RobT100
1st Jun 2006, 21:09
pug

My thoughts also.

Probably the whole rumour thought up by some DSA supporter, who are obviously perterbed by the fact they aint half the big player they thought they were going to be :p

Its funny - they really must be desperate :D

phil_2405
1st Jun 2006, 21:12
RobT100

The rumour definitely has some truth to it, DSA have been lobbying KLM hard but it would seem to no avail.

RobT100
1st Jun 2006, 22:20
phil_2405

And if there is truth to it: then its DSA that must be desperate as they are obviously perterbed by the fact they aint half the big player they thought they were going to be.
Why dont they go out and try attract some more domestic routes ? cos the markets already saturated, thats why.
Thia airport was destined to be not hal the success that it was cracked upto be and now the chickens are coming home to roost. They have even got thomson nicking flights off LBA - the whole operation smacks of desperation.

pug
1st Jun 2006, 22:56
I dont know, i still think KLM may be announcing something at DSA soon but if so it will NOT be to the detriment of HUY. I hear they believe the yields at HUY are higher than they were at SZD so they will be treading lightly at DSA at first.

I do agree that the domestic market is saturated BUT when DSA was concieved it was because 90% of the yorkshire and Humber pax left the area to catch a flight. This shows there is ample room for all to expand without stepping on each others toes too much. If DSA are trying to target HUY and not look at MAN (or even the london airports) then i would suggest that something has gone seriously wrong for them.

hollywood285
1st Jun 2006, 23:07
Dont know why anyone would want to go to humberside now Robin hood is up and running, unless there is a deal on the landing fees, I know eastern dont pay any good old Richard Lake can strike a good deal, the price for GA landing fees has doubled in the last 6 months, cant see training lasting at the schools there, 10 touch and go's is going to cost 60 quid!!:D :D

wawkrk
2nd Jun 2006, 10:48
Cant see a KLM DSA service working as good as the dropped Sheffield route which had a bigger catchment area.

Teevee
2nd Jun 2006, 14:16
This is getting tiresome and ill-informed. First Sheffield IS part of the DSA catchment area unless by some chance you think only people from within ten miles of any airport use that airport.:bored:

Second, can I just ask whether the original source of this rumour said that DSA was trying to lure KLM AWAY from HUY or just approaching them about flights from DSA, which from personal experience talking to people around here is what they want for travelling to places further afield via Amsterdam, thus sparking a mad paranoia among certain, though not all HUY supporters. Most seem to think that there is room in the market for both airports, especially if it is true that in actual fact few travellers from the DSA catchment use the HUY flights. And I would imagine that a recent on-line business survey done by DSA would be being used as evidence.

And third I'm getting a little bit ticked off at all the false DSA sniping. Pax figures and additional flights would seem to imply that the airport has been quite a success, and as I've said before is just good at doing business, NOT desperate.

As for the domestic market being saturated, well o.k but what with? Plenty of people would use DSA for domestic services, but how easy are they to come by for new airports?

And fourth, getting back to HUY, as a proud DSA supporter I am glad that if you look on the unofficial website there is very little sniping at HUY. Plenty of us have said we would like to see KLM at DSA, but NOT at the expense of HUY - as I'm sure Airhumberside can testify.:ugh:

Tim

pug
2nd Jun 2006, 14:34
Dont know why anyone would want to go to humberside now Robin hood is up and running, unless there is a deal on the landing fees, I know eastern dont pay any good old Richard Lake can strike a good deal, the price for GA landing fees has doubled in the last 6 months, cant see training lasting at the schools there, 10 touch and go's is going to cost 60 quid!!:D :D

Refering to airlines going to HUY, probably to serve the Humberside region, though the catchment area is small FR sales are promising and are showing that there is demand from both the south yorks (DSA) and Humber (HUY)

Im unsure as to the GA prices, they have been praised for years on their prices compared to similar facilities.

NorthOfRiver
2nd Jun 2006, 21:10
Teevee

Can't agree more. What we have from Hull to Sheffield is two airports, both adding extra flights and giving us more choice......and we respond by sniping.

For a LBA supporter to come on a HUY thread, soley to illicit anti DSA feeling and to denigrate DSA is a sad state of affairs.
I personally would have my concerns about DSA if HUY was going down because of it. What we have seen effectively are more flights from HUY, and new flights from DSA.
I say BRING IT ON and long may it continue. HUY first for me every time.....but I've also travelled the short journey to DSA......Great isn't it.....and it will get better. I'd go even further and introduce a shuttle coach service between the two airports. Don't forget HUY is a gateway to the world.

pug
3rd Jun 2006, 00:06
I could understand the sniping some time back when people were claiming DSA to be coming in and stealing business, when we argued back that it would boost HUY etc etc..... at the end of the day our point is proven! Im sure HUY is favorite every time for Hull Grimsby and the majority of lincolnshire people, as DSA will be to south yorks! We are getting choice, that is whats important, and indications that FR are doing well at both HUY and DSA suggest there could be proven demand at HUY of its own, as there will be in donny.

I look forward to the day when i can get on a flight to new york from DSA or maybe fancy a long weekend in palma and pop to HUY for aow fares flight.

Up & Away
4th Jun 2006, 19:51
XL to Paphos

super flight to Cyprus from Humberside.
A joy to be parked within half an hour from home.
Cabin crew were mostly first timers but had 'enthusiasm and smiles'
That surely made up for their lack of experience.
Well done XL
Well done Humberside

niknak
5th Jun 2006, 15:16
Pug

what your forgetting is that anything west of Scunthorpe/in Lincoln/Gainsborough or thereabouts is DSA territory and the passengers vote with their feet and use Doncaster.

Huy has its uses, but, other than Dublin, Amsterdam and Aberdeen, they never will succeed with low cost flights or scheduled.

They do very well with charter flights, but its only a matter of time before DSA are in a position to offer significantly better discounts and DSA have acheived better pax figures than HUY in the first year of their operation than HUY HUY ever have in 35 years.

Theres always something happening with B737 or larger aircraft at DSA, and they are already expanding the car parking and the terminal will grow next year to cater for new growth, whereas I fear that HUY will continue to bumble along and gradually lose the majority of the revenue earning trade.

A sad reflection on HUY management who could have done a lot better.