PDA

View Full Version : Life in DRC (FIH in particular)

Stratocaster
4th Oct 2005, 16:20
Hellooo,

Did a search but couldn't really find what I'm looking for. Sooooooo...

I'm thinking about moving to FIH for six months, if not a lot more. No worries about the job, pay or accomodation in "Ma Campagne" - all generously provided (and secured).

It's been a long time since my last short visits to the area (10+ years). How's life there (expat circles, cost of living, health issues, security, etc.) ? I've been to a dozen African coutries (in small doses), but how does DRC rate in 2005 compared to the average equatorial african country ?

Any info appreciated, thanx in advance !

4granted
4th Oct 2005, 17:34
Strato,

Well have been in Kin for 2 years now full time. Its on the up from lets say 10 years ago although my experience doesnt go back that far.

Shops are full, same price as EU, beer cheap, city dirty, road to airport Ndjili still a pain, ATC bad, TCAS required..... lots of hot babes at Circle Elaiese, night clubs rocking (Mambos), Maleria still a killer..... Ma Campane not a bad place to stay but traffic horrible...
Flying great, rainy season here now, SCARY!!!!!!!

ENJOY and welcome to the @rse end of the world....

4g:ok:

european champion
5th Oct 2005, 19:18
I m also thinking of going to Kinshasa to look for work.any ideas for affordable accomodation?

south coast
5th Oct 2005, 20:22
brave, brave people...dont listen to 4 granted, he has been there far too long!

do they still do aqua-aerobics at the pool on a tuesday afternoon, with the queen bee?

take it easy, insh allah

4granted
6th Oct 2005, 07:20
Would tend to agree with South that yes I have been here far to long, but do I detect a hint of sentimental pool Air head robics there south, Ill re activate your membership, just say the word.
I saw the new Netjets Falcon 2000 on the ramp the other day by the way, you still got my cell?? Hahaha

EU Champ, would not come with out already having a job lined up....... not exactly the right place to come find a job. Do you parlez Frenchy???

Good luck

4g;)

south coast
6th Oct 2005, 11:22
my boy...i do not have your kinshasa number, please pass on should i have the pleasure of re-visiting the country where i learnt to fly.

european champion
6th Oct 2005, 15:59
Thank you for your reply 4granted.i know it would be easier to have a job lined up and then move but first of all i cant get any information about companies that are based in kinshasa and second i think i would stand more chances if i was there because a lot of employers want to see someone before they hire.i do speak french but i havent spoken it for long time,if i use it i will get back on it quite fast i hope.so what do u suggest?do u have any info about companies who are currently looking for pilots?i understand u have been there for long time,what is your advice for a new pilot,is it a good step for career?do u ever regret for being there?

AN2 Driver
13th Oct 2005, 10:17
@4granted or anyone else at KHI

as you seem to live in Khinshasa, maybe you can tell me something about a company there or more precisely an airplane.

9Q CPI is what is believed the last operational Caravelle in the world, C/N 169, was painted white with red stripes and a red tail, as it used to be under Swiss register for Aero Jet (Air City). Apparently it was flying for a company called Waltair.

Can you tell me the status of this plane, e.g. if it is still flying or not? I used to work on it here in Switzerland and would like to know its fate. If you have recent pictures (or ANY pictures at all since it got there) I'd be most grateful as the last we saw of our old lady was when she took to the skies for Dinard after being sold. Also, a e-mail or other contact to Waltair would be appreciated.

Best regards

AN2 Driver.

oompilot
13th Oct 2005, 11:44
AN2 driver, I was in the DRC recently and did see one flying into Mbuji. Never got any pictures or registration, but if it is the last operational Caravelle, then she lives on.

4granted
13th Oct 2005, 18:26
An2 Driver...

Cant vouch for the Caravelle as Im under the impresion it crashed in Gisney( right next to Goma) a couple of months ago. Honestly havent seen it for awhile.
Will take a sqizz down by hanger and see whats around. There was another caravelle flying also for Waltair, a green one with jets (ie not low bypass), but that was damaged when the amo dump blew up in kinshasa a couple of years ago.

Will put my feelers out and get back to you.

4g

AN2 Driver
13th Oct 2005, 20:22
Hi 4g,

the one that crashed according to the pics was 3D KIK, the former Air Ghana one. The 2nd Air Ghana plane is apparently at Rand airfield near Jo'burg.

169 is rather distinct, you could not miss it if it's still there. I got a picture once, a few years back.

http://www.danur.com/files/9Q-CPI.jpg

The red stripes and the tail come from its' Swiss history. It looked like that then:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/839000/M/

Good old times (g). She had a "grande visite" done less than a year before it got sold due to noise problems here.

Best regards
AN2 Driver

Treetopflyer
14th Oct 2005, 10:03
Yes, the Caravelle which crashed in Gisenyi (in Rwanda, next to Goma) is indeed NOT Waltair's.

It was Transair Cargo's Caravelle 11R registered 3D-SEP, and formerly operated by Gabon Express (many pictures of that one on Airliners.net)

I heard it was initially the property of the French government -- not Ghana Airways -- and based in Tahiti before going to Africa. Though I might be wrong.

ClearReverse
14th Oct 2005, 10:06
saw a Caravelle, in good condition in Bukavu last noember/december time. Looked like it was flying for the government as it had loads of armed guards around it and I couldn't get relly close

CR

VanMan2005
15th Oct 2005, 10:56
AN2
The last time I was at N'djili (about 2 months ago)your arie was standing on the maintanance apron next too the UN, looking rather un used. I had seen it many times previously on the main apron, but never saw it fly.

:{

flyboy2
16th Oct 2005, 13:21
Hi
Last year I saw a rather abandoned looking Caravelle parked at
Bujumbura [ Burundi ] with Burundi Air painted on it.
Maybe still there ?
4 granted might see it on next visit ?

Airways Ed
16th Oct 2005, 17:02
I too would welcome news of Super Caravelle No 169, which was certainly active around February this year, but I suspect is now grounded after the recent suspension of AOCs in DRC.

To confuse things a bit, Waltair had another Caravelle, a Type 11 R, in similar colours as No 169 (red tail and engine nacelles, but no stripes around the forward fuselage); that one was 'undergoing maintenance' last year and I'm not sure it ever went back into service. Like the ill-fated 3D-KIK, it had been previously operated by the French Air Force in Tahiti.

The third ex-French AF Caravelle 11 R in Africa also ended up with Waltair, but was retired at Kinshasa in 2000; possibly that has now been broken up.

Over to the locals...

gerhardv8
17th Oct 2005, 19:30
...........in the hanger area of Hewa Bora , FIH.....but in bad shape.........I saw 9Q-CNA with Waltair written on the side but could not get too close, I think the other is 9Q-CPI.......I took a pic but the 2 aircraft are parked amongst other non-flyers.......

I seem to remember that they used to be parked on the civilian ramp just behind the area the UN uses, and one or both flew but I can not remeber when or when last..........then they disappeared.....to the hanger area.

Let me know if you want a pic....it is not great ...from a distance but, you can "see" the 2 aircraft in the background......will try to take more ......

Stratocaster
19th Oct 2005, 15:03
Many thanks for the replies and info.

Is there a decent light airplane available (SE/ME) for rent in N'djili or N'dolo?

Something like a well-maintained C172 or a light twin for a week-end trip to the country would be perfect.

DRC being in the "Bottom 10" of developped countries (or in the "Top 10" of under-developped countries if you prefer to put it that way), I guess that will be rather hard to find, but at least I try!
:p