PDA

View Full Version : Baggage allowanceon BA

sky9
3rd Oct 2005, 20:30
The baggage allowance for BA is 23kgs in WT and WTplus.
At what weight to they start charging excess baggage?

The_Banking_Scot
3rd Oct 2005, 21:42
Hi,

On flights to the US/Canada, the piece concept is used ( 2 suitcases upto 32kg).

I do not think you are allowed to check in a single piece that weighs more than 32kg.

As to when they start charging excess baggage , it will depend on a lot of factors probably. ( Likey to be let off with a kg or two).

Regards

TBS

Jordan D
3rd Oct 2005, 23:10
Correct, for Health & Safety of Baggage Handlers, no piece over 32kg is allowed - was brought in by BAA and other operators followed suit.

Jordan

apaddyinuk
3rd Oct 2005, 23:51
Sky9,
As for all other flights with BA, it depends on your destination, It can be very VERY expensive and if you intend on bringing a lot with you may I suggest you get in touch with cargo as it works out a lot cheaper!

MarkD
4th Oct 2005, 02:46
2 piece also applies to same-ticket connecting flights (I know this as have had over 22 kg/bag ORK/LHR/YYZ.)

Globaliser
4th Oct 2005, 08:52
sky9: The baggage allowance for BA is 23kgs in WT and WTplus.
At what weight to they start charging excess baggage?If you're flying on a route on which the allowance is 23 kg, then they can start charging excess baggage at anything over 23 kg. But IME BA will usually let a few extra kg go. However, excess baggage charges, like seat allocation, is one of the areas in which check-in staff can get their own back on rude/stroppy customers. Being polite and charming is always a good idea when checking-in; it's even more important if you think you may have to slide a few (or even more than just a few) kg of extra baggage onto the aircraft. ;)

Jordan D
4th Oct 2005, 09:08
MarkD - standard rule is that the more generous allowance is taken for the whole routing - hence if part of it is 23kg, and part is 2 bags (@ <32kgs each), then the latter is given for the whole route ....

Jordan

redsnail
4th Oct 2005, 11:00
I have found where the economy baggage allowance has been 20kg then the check in staff will usually allow ~5kg to travel for free. Once you start going significantly above the 20kg limit, then you'll be charged excess baggage.

The airlines I am talking about are BA and QF.

Note, your behaviour at check in will determine how you're treated.

It's important to weigh up sending stuff unaccompanied versus excess. I can't remember the unaccompanied rates but you do have to factor in returning to the airport on another day and possibly paying customs fees. Excess baggage (from memory) costs around A$30/kg.