PDA

View Full Version : Qantas leaning toward 787/777 buy as Boeing offers longer-range 777-200LR

Nudlaug
3rd Oct 2005, 05:33
Qantas leaning toward 787/777 buy as Boeing offers longer-range 777-200LR

Monday October 3, 2005

Qantas appears to be moving toward a 787/777 order after airline sources confirmed to ATWOnline that the carrier and Boeing are close to finalizing a longer-range variant of the 777-200LR that would have a reach of just over 10,000 nm. (18,500 km.), enabling the Australian airline to operate from Sydney to London nonstop year round with 250 passengers.

CEO Geoff Dixon told media in August that Boeing was close to getting Sydney-London range from its dash 200LR. The extra legs would come from an additional fuel tank and lighter interior fixtures borrowed from the 787 cabin.

The Qantas sources also told this website that the airline is close to a 787 commitment, understood to be for 50 firm orders for both the dash 8 and dash 9, which would make it the launch customer for the 787-9. The sources confirmed media reports that Boeing has offered Qantas a HGW version of the dash 9 at just under 255 tons MTOW, well above the current 227 tons. This would give the 787-9HGW a range similar to the standard 777-200LR's 9,400 nm. The carrier is expected to place an order for up to 100 aircraft in the 787/777 class.

Buster Hyman
3rd Oct 2005, 07:02
250 PAX at what config I wonder? Lots of First & Business I imagine...make it a premium service & also a worthwhile load in the lower hold too!:ok:

Gone Sailing
3rd Oct 2005, 10:27
Sounds like a good move, if it does happen.

I wonder what colour they might be painted though ?

akerosid
3rd Oct 2005, 17:33
Just wondering what the sector length might be for SYD-LHR; I'm guessing about 20 hours out (from SYD), 18-19 back? Anything (slightly!) more scientific?

The Librarian
3rd Oct 2005, 18:50
Considering neither Boeing or Airbus have submitted their RFP responses to Qantas at this stage any leaning towards a particular aircraft type is at its best purely speculation.

Whatever they choose I'm sure the Jet* boys and girls will be very happy with them......

lurker69
4th Oct 2005, 01:34
This is the article from ATWonline, yes? The same mob that employ Geoffrey Thomas. The guy who confidently predicted in Nov. '04 that QF would announce an order for about 20 777s + options for about 20 more- following the May '05 board meeting...... How did that turn out again? Big grain of salt required with this prediction, not to mention the denial, as posted by the librarian (how's the crossword going), made by a QF manager on Q-room.

Buster Hyman
4th Oct 2005, 02:48
...and a good "trade in" price for the A330's??? ;)

swh
4th Oct 2005, 03:45
just look at the facts about the issue. if qantas can buy an aircraft that can do syd-lhr non stop they'll get it. if boeing can do it and airbus can't is a bit of a no brainer.

Yeah QF have heaps of spare slots in LHR, or are suggesting they will drops 744 and 388 loads out ?

Timing of the flights would make for interesting times, 19-20 hr sectors, what would your departure time LHR be to get to SYD when its open ? What time would you leave SYD to make that and then turn around ?

Going Boeing
4th Oct 2005, 06:39
Buster

I believe that the trade-in A330s will only be the 4 -200s and the 10 -300s will go to Jet* to fly to vacation destinations (HNL etc) as well as possibly Athens.

SWH

Last year Qantas bought 2 extra slots per day in LHR (total of 5 per day). Currently only 4 slots per day are being used thus allowing growth. When the A380 comes on line, I believe that they will use three slots per day with the B777-200XLR using the other two.

I'd rather fly the Boeing.

Eyes only
4th Oct 2005, 06:49
I'd rather fly the Boeing.

Not likely to do much flying, 17-20 hr sector 2-3 crews.

So what would the timing be ex-syd and ex-lhr ?

Buster Hyman
4th Oct 2005, 07:41
Hmmm...interesting GB.:ok:

Now, in the dim dark corridors of my mind, I seem to recall the discussion of slot problems at LHR & SYD when the Sonic Cruiser was mooted for long range capabilities...

Eagleboy69
4th Oct 2005, 10:26
Librarian,

Considering neither Boeing or Airbus have submitted their RFP responses to Qantas at this stage any leaning towards a particular aircraft type is at its best purely speculation.

The RFP's from Airbus and Boeing were recieved last thursday and friday respectively.

Word is that the Airbus RFP was pretty ordinary reading.

Boeing's on the other hand made for pretty interesting reading.

The Librarian
4th Oct 2005, 11:38
Sorry Eagle boy,

Just going on the info on qroom yesterday from Tech manager

Lurker,

Crosswords going well although not much chance to do them of late. Only four trips in last 6 and a half months. 19 full weeks off. Each time I go to work I have to ask directions just to find the crew rest.

I think its about to ramp up though so maybe retirement might not seem so appealing.
:O

Was hoping it would be Airbus but after seeing this not so sure.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/photorelease/q3/pr_050831g.html

the shaman
4th Oct 2005, 11:49
well lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope that regardless of the manufacturer of the new fleet, the maintenace of these aircraft can remain in OZ. for anyone who is not aware Qantas heavy maintenace is struggling to justify its existence at present - ironically QF now has a workplace SAFEty culture that is second to none (which is commendable to say the least ).. so what do they do.. declare the business inefficient and uneconomical and consider outsourcing to MRO's in Asia who don't give a sh*t abourt OHS and have a horrific LTI rate.

god forbid that an Aussie AME gets hurt at work , but who cares about an AME in Asia as long as we are only paying 30 bucks per manhour for a C check. This may not be the right forum for this one but just had to get the dirty water off my chest anyway.

TS

Pimp Daddy
4th Oct 2005, 12:33
ironically QF now has a workplace SAFEty culture that is second to none (which is commendable to say the least )..

The SAFE bollocks is nothing but smoke and mirrors to save the group several million dollars in Workcover premiums. LTIs above a certain rate and no self insurance.

It does little to actually ensure the safety of the operation.

All the "caution hot" stickers on the zip in the crewroom do little to prevent the parking of an aircraft in the side of a hill.

Which one costs more.

sling load
5th Oct 2005, 05:50
Copyright wouldnt allow me to reproduce the article, but here is a link.
Its about QF taking Jetstar Global, comments by Geoff Dixon.
http://www.etravelblackboard.com/index.asp?id=42857&nav=2

AIRWAY
5th Oct 2005, 11:09
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases...pr_050831g.html

Where do we insert the coins :confused:

:} :} :}

speeeedy
6th Oct 2005, 23:14
SWH & Eyes only ask about timing.

How about - Leave SYD 21:00, 20 Hour flight to Arr LHR 07:00, 2 hour Turn, dep LHR 09:00 18 Hour flight to Arr SYD 13:00.

Utilisation of 19 Hours per day...accountants dream plane.