PDA

View Full Version : Avtech 2000 Courses

Travelstops
2nd Oct 2005, 21:22
Hi

I'm am currently working as a Ramp Agent within a Handling Agent at Heathrow but would like to work as a Dispatcher. I am thinking a doing the Aviation Foundation Studies course followed by an Airline Operations and Dispatch course run by Avtech 2000. Would either of these courses help me secure such a position? Would I need to do both courses or would the first course be suffient?

Thanks for your help.

Abdel
31st Oct 2005, 06:16
Hi Travelstops,

If you put 'avtech' or 'avtech2000' as a search item in the search box you'll find there's a long list of forums in the past about Avtech and it's courses.......with useful advice and information.

I am currently undertaking the Foundation Studies course (I am in an operational role) however I am considering doing the Economics/Management course afterwards. All courses do seem to be quite comprehensive.

Pricewise, the first course is approximately £400 plus exam fees (only one exam in June and December) and includes 8 modules, so yo could aim for one moduke a month or whatever your timetable allows you.

www.avtech2000.co.uk

Abdel

no sig
31st Oct 2005, 10:59
Travelstops

The AVETCH courses have merit and the foundation course is of value as is the later Ops/Dispatch course, however, I would recommend you read back over this forum regarding changes to flight (not ramp) dispatch and ops officer training (if that's where your future lay) and consider a course syllabus that is to ICAO 7192 D3.

But whichever course you do, having these courses under your belt will indeed help you secure a job. If for no other reason, it shows you are committed to this type of work and will work on your own initiative to further your aviation education. A definite plus in my book!

Seaton Approach
31st Oct 2005, 12:50
Hi nosig,

Just a little confused here...

The AVTECH Ops/Dispatch course quotes "covers the ICAO Ops Officer syllabus", is this just a sales pitch or does it really meet the requirements as per ICAO 7192 D3?

As I understood it, the only surefire way of obtaining a qualification which complies with ICAO 7192 D3 is to do either:

a) full blown FAA Dispatch Course

b) the Jeppesen equivalent (FAA / NAA)

c) GCNS

What exactly are AVTECH advertising, and in what way is it more basic than GCNS? At the end of the day, I would have thought that theory is theory and that all courses should pretty much match up to the same standard.

As ever, thanks in advance for your views.

Cheers,
SA! :ok:

no sig
2nd Nov 2005, 13:13
Hello again Seaton Approach

The last I saw of the AVTECH course was over 2.5 years ago, so I have to accept that I may well be out of touch. I was a user and supporter of AVTECH's Ops courses and the City & Guilds Certificate for many years, however, the course materials became very dated and frankly at that time, Ý felt they were neglecting the Ops courses in favour of other areas of their business (and I told them so at the time). In my opinion the course that I had sight fell short of the ICAO Doc. 7192 D3 syllabus, however, that is not to say it did not have training value.

It may well be that they have pulled their socks up. Whether it has now been revised to meet 7192 D3 I can't say, but I'd be delighted were that the case.

I can however vouch for the GCNS course having had an input to the syllabus there. But course do vary with the interpretation of the syllabus and I would expect to see a few differences between them, but I do agree with you, the basic theory needs covered.