PDA

View Full Version : Photo Enhancement

Unwell_Raptor
2nd Oct 2005, 18:41
I belong to a society which has a gallery of B & W photographs of past presidents going back over 100 years on the wall of the anteroom. Sadly, the last president died before we had him photographed, and all that we have is a rather fuzzy but otherwise okay photo. Does anyone know of a professional standard firm that can turn the fuzzy photo into one that will fit into the lineup? Cost is not the first criterion.

Conan the Librarian
2nd Oct 2005, 22:47
What you propose is fine, but unless the detail is there in the original, you ain't going to bring it out by processing. The image can be sharpened and thus give the impression of a much clearer picture, but it is hard to tell without seeing it. Normally, I would be very confident of making a marked improvement to almost any photograph.

Funnily enough, this is one of my hobbies and you are more than welcome to PM me although my own system is down for about ten days at present. I should be able to give you a clue whether it is worth fretting over though...

Conan

edited for inclusion of a second thought!

drauk
3rd Oct 2005, 12:54
If you post the original file here you'll probably get more feedback. I'd be curious to see it and can comment on it more accurately if I know what you're dealing with. As Conan says, you can't bring out detail that isn't there (unless you have several pictures and can take elements of each), but you can potentially manipulate it to give the impression of a much sharper image.