PDA

View Full Version : Mystery accident

PANews
18th Jan 2002, 19:07
Is anyone aware of an accident to an MD900 Explorer in Colorado on the 11th?

The FAA web page briefly featured this 'happening' on January 14 stating that N902AM suffered a hard landing during a demonstration flight from Denver. The 'crash' location was given as Aurora which is where Air Methods are based. On January 15 that entry just evapoated from the page to be replaced by an R22! Good job I took a copy in time!

No one at MDHI, AM or FAA is saying anything and Concern have not posted it as an EMS incident so it may be on trials [in which case I sort of lose interest ... excpt for the 'mystery' aspects.

Thanks.

Ridge
21st Jan 2002, 20:34
Heya, I happen to be from Aurora, and I think I know of the crash you're talking about, but not completely sure. I do know of a guy from New Mexico crashing a Cessna, then the rescue CH-53 within 16 hours of each other. There's also a helicopter assisting in animal relocation program, an MD-90, I think, that caught a telephone wire that flipped it and crashed it through ice on a lake, killing all three aboard, sadly. Please tell me if either of these is the one you are talking about.

md 600 driver
21st Jan 2002, 22:01
the animal relocation one was a md500

ppheli
22nd Jan 2002, 09:36
PANews, no bother, it is still there! See <a href="http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/D_0114_N.txt" target="_blank">http://www.faa.gov/avr/aai/D_0114_N.txt</a> The FAA in their wisdom now class it as a Boeing fixed-wing....

It certainly looks like the Air Methods MD902. As you say, it's in their patch, their style of registration and we know from MD press releases that they have one due or delivered. Accident is quoted as Jan 11, and "substantial" damage.

So why the big hush hush cover up? All you conspiracy theorists can come out of the woodwork now!

PANews
22nd Jan 2002, 19:31
Thanks for that ...some mistake ... they must have thought ... 'no tail rotor it cannot be a helicopter ....'

Strange they have not put it right yet.

I must ask MDHI what the secret is when I am in Orlando next month!

PANews
23rd Jan 2002, 02:40
Just to wrap this one up...

I spoke with Air Methods Tuesday and it was their new Explorer but flown by MDHI. The damage was very slight to the skids and was the rusult of terra-firma 'jumping up to meet the descending Explorer' I guess most of you are aware of the experience. Anyway its in Mesa having new skids and should enter service soon.

It may not be an NTSB reportable incident.

Storm in a teacup. Again thanks for clearing this up. ppheli.