PDA

View Full Version : Lanseria V Johannesburg Int

George Tower
2nd Oct 2005, 14:52
Hi Guys

Just pondering why none of the operators of big iron have made successful profitable flights from Lanseria. I know very little about Jo'burg, given that I'm based in Cape Town, but I'm aware that both Sunair and SA airlink have tried and failed to operate flights (to FACT) from FALA and was wondering why.

I'm just curious as to why as London for instance has four airports, where mainline carriers operate from. Granted Johannesburg isn't as large in terms of population, nor does it have the same advantage in terms of geography, but given the emergence of low cost carriers I wonder why no one has made a success out of flying to/from FALA. From what I gather FAJS is continually getting busier hence more delays and increased costs could be the order of the day......also I'd be interested to know what FALA is like from a pax point of view.

Thanks

GT

121,9_za
2nd Oct 2005, 19:36
Hey there, FALA is a very nice airport ~(pax wise). Has been upgraded recently. From our point of view at FAJS we would also benefit if some of the smaller companies could operate out of FALA, but I think it is a bit far out. Also, Good road infrastructure around Joburg allows for easy travelling in all directions. From what I can remember there is only one rather big road to and from the airport (la). I might be wrong, but as far as I know link still flies from FALA.

3rd Oct 2005, 06:22
I would prefer Lanseria. Its easely reached from Pretoria and Jo-burg's northen areas. The R28 is a rather quiet freeway and you dont have such chaos at drop-off as you do at JNB. I personally think its a lack of marketing on the airline's and the airport's side. Nobody has ever heard of Lanseria. Its all about marketing!!

SebasW
3rd Oct 2005, 21:30
I think the reason that the FALA-FACT never seem to work is purely because of the cost to pax.

Think about it... In the mornings when Link went out of Lanseria you could get a ticket for probably R1500 or so? But very close to that exact time there is about 4 or 5 other flights going out of Jo'burg for half that price.

I think saving R700 is definitely worth the extra trouble of going trough Jo'burg.

My personnal opinion is that a "low cost" airline such as Kulula or One time would make a killing on that route. Link plainly can't offer the prices that they do.