PDA

View Full Version : BA CEO states at least 375 to go

HZ123
2nd Oct 2005, 14:35
WW stated in the Daily Mail (amongst others) on Saturday that he would cull at least that figure from ramp staff, this among the target of reducing a further 6000. Stating that BA will overhaul many of its 'custom and practice'. Some of us have been saying this for years pointing out the 'holiday camp' attitude from many of the staff. At the end of the article it then states that job loses will only come from natural wastage. WW has a huge task ahead of him and if he is to waste this amount of staff it can surely only be achieved via outsourcing, may be the complete outing of the ramp might be the way forward. This however must be balanced against capital sanction for the recruitment of 300 + new ramp agents over the next 24 months. Mixed messages again then, no change there. Watch out BACX ?

Carnage Matey!
2nd Oct 2005, 23:16
Best pack your bags then HZ123.

MKDC8
3rd Oct 2005, 11:47
Well I hope WW cull includes everyone and not those that are vunerable targets, the ramp workers, the check-in girls etc.

The cull needs to attack those still swaning around on the "holiday camp attitude", managers of all levels, including higher up the perverbial BA tree, those still sitting in your air-conditioned offices, pulling a cosy salary doing short hours and not really having to be in that postition, a position created to help out an overworked BA manager, as yet not come across one of them.

I would love to see you guys in suits and WW himself, don his PPE and get in the holds lobbing out heavy bags of luggage, getting on the hylos in all weathers, and generally getting a pain in his back for doing real work, real manual work that with out these/us guys, you drivers and assorted managers would not be pulling heavy salaries and living of the fat profits made by the airline.

So before all you drivers think your jobs are safe, perhaps they are not, perhaps WW should streamline all operations ex LHR, LGW has suffered badly in the past and no doubt the hatchet will fall down there again.

I am not against making the airline more profitable, but as long as the cull hits the office fraternity those in their glass towers aswell.

So before you drivers and high ranking managers jump on us menials and supress us even more, think on the next time to park you plane on a stand, how are you going to get depart, as yet I have not seen a 747/777 or likes reverse off of the stand, so if we are not there, perhaps one of you lot will have to shimmy down the ladder into the nosewheel well and push the plane out and clamber back up to your seat and clear off to the blue yonder.

Outscouring is all well and good, does it save the company money, if it does, then how does it affect the creditability of the airline, perhaps WW has not heard of TUPE, if BA outscrourse the Ramp to another handling company, union agreements say that the staff affected can be TUPE'd over to the new handling company on the original wages earnt whilst they were working at BA, where is the logic in that, it needs more thought than the normal channels of culls this time round !

Unless there is a dirty tricks campaign looming up in the shadows ofcourse !

Carnage Matey!
3rd Oct 2005, 12:29
I would love to see you guys in suits and WW himself, don his PPE and get in the holds lobbing out heavy bags of luggage, getting on the hylos in all weathers, and generally getting a pain in his back for doing real work, real manual work

So would I. He could help out next time the loaders walk off the job.

I am not against making the airline more profitable

So what would you say to GPS tracking of airside vehicles so we can see when a bus driver is skiving or the tuggies are driving at 2mph between jobs?

perhaps WW should streamline all operations ex LHR, LGW has suffered badly in the past and no doubt the hatchet will fall down there again.

In what way? He's still gonna own aircraft and he's still gonna need the same number of pilots to fly them unless he can persuade the CAA to increase the flying and duty hours limits.

WHBM
3rd Oct 2005, 15:44
Maybe the cull can start with the Waterside buffoon who, in the light of the GG fiasco and the operation of Club Europe short-haul flights for so long with no catering at all, decided to have a survey among these most regular, loyal and high-spending customers to see if they PREFER to be treated in this way !

apaddyinuk
3rd Oct 2005, 23:48
Just remember, that article came from the Daily Mail which as anyone will tell you...seems to have it in for BA and will report any c&%p it can come up with as long as it involves disgracing the airline regardless of how much fact is behind it! No similiar statement has been made by WW to staff as yet except that a full service will be maintained throughout the company and club world and IFE developments will be announced shortly!
Of course, we are all still waiting with held breath for a real announcement!

OneWorld22
4th Oct 2005, 09:30
Well I agree if there is to be cuts the vast majority should come form the dossers at Waterside, get rid of those Chocolate tasting managers and Customer experience managers who do f**k all over there.

The fat needs to be trimmed there, not at the ground/operations and customer interface areas.

Crusty Ol Cap'n
4th Oct 2005, 12:41
Wee Willy emptied the head office builing in Dublin as part of his re-organisation. Watch out Waterside!

apaddyinuk
4th Oct 2005, 13:50
Sorry to burst your bubble everyone but as per todays BBC news, Willie is only to ensure redundancies through natural attrition and he does not see the requirement for compulsory job cuts!!!
Looks like the anti BA gossip brigade have tried and failed again! lol!!!

Having said that, I do hope he does clear out Waterside all the same!!! :p

Human Factor
4th Oct 2005, 16:19
So before you drivers and high ranking managers jump on us menials and supress us even more, think on the next time to park you plane on a stand, how are you going to get depart, as yet I have not seen a 747/777 or likes reverse off of the stand...

Had to laugh, there aren't enough of us to fly the 777, let alone climb down ladders.... :p

Jet II
4th Oct 2005, 16:19
Willie is only to ensure redundancies through natural attrition and he does not see the requirement for compulsory job cuts!!!

Don't get too excited by this statement - BA does have some 'history' in this regard.

When BA closed the Engineering department at Manchester the staff were given the option of accepting voluntary severance or being made compulsory redundant at less than half the severance package.

Naturally all those involved accepted the voluntary package and voila - BA could state that it had not made anyone compulsory redundant. :rolleyes:

HZ123
6th Oct 2005, 12:38
As a small section of BA staff at 1 & 4 the push back / toilet service staff could be the first to be TUPE'd. There is also a 767 on test in the USA with eletric powered nose wheels which drive itself in and out without a tug. It is awaiting approval and one can see it selling welland being developed for all marques of a/c. On another note our BA staff at CDG went on strike on Tuesday as 187 of them are about to be transfered to Servisair / Globeground, a prospest they seemed less than pleased with ?

WHBM
6th Oct 2005, 13:24
our BA staff at CDG went on strike on Tuesday as 187 of them are about to be transfered to Servisair
There are 29 BA departures a day from CDG, 11 mainline and 18 BACX. All have just made a 1 hour trip from their base, and are going straight back there.

187 groundstaff needed for this ?