PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the planks

Floppy Link
30th Sep 1999, 02:41
Has anybody out there done the decent thing and left fixed wing for rotary?
As mentioned before I'm sorely tempted.
Money's not everything
Lifestyle is....

Thoughts, comments etc
F L (not FL,hate the things, detest 1013.2!)

Skycop
30th Sep 1999, 07:28
Yes mate. Did it 3 times now. Blame the RAF. Back on rotary in civvy street, the pay is c rap but the job can be great. Also, for the first time in my life I can book leave with some notice (and can predict what I'm doing more than 36 hours in advance). I reckon I'm underpaid by about 10k tho'...open to argument on that.

[This message has been edited by Skycop (edited 30 September 1999).]

Floppy Link
30th Sep 1999, 13:36
Skycop
If you company HQ is down Gloucester way then we may have met...was a floater on as355 and BN2 for a year after leaving RAF
email me!
F L

Vulture
3rd Oct 1999, 11:42
I am seriously considering it right now but have not yet fully gone through the plank transition course. I have not really enjoyed much of what I've seen in the airline industry so far (except the pay of course).

MaxNr
3rd Oct 1999, 17:53
Just do it guys !!!!! I`ve said it before on different threads, but there still plenty of great helo` flying to be had , that pays well (once you`ve got some experience naturally). Just look at the whole world as your market place, the UK is far too limiting, and we all know why... Guess I`m one of the fews Brits that still loves commercial helo`s as a well paid, rewarding career !!!

Vulture
3rd Oct 1999, 19:04
Recently left mil helos and started B757s with major carrier. Don't like it much but it pays the bills (so I thought) but where is the job satisfaction? Can't find it.

I would love to fly helos for a living but I'm not sure my wife, three kids, mortgage and aspirations will allow it without a fight, although I am looking for a helo job right now.

cyclic
4th Oct 1999, 00:11
Nice to see some upbeat responses......the pay has got to improve, and the kudos factor will follow.

It is about time we got the repect we deserve!!!

Skycop
4th Oct 1999, 07:22
Hopefully we will see an upswing as there are fewer pilots willing to leave the services for a worse paid heli job in civvy street and the military are keen to see them stay on (from what I have seen a lot of people are going direct military helis to plank / airlines). So, no doubt there will be a future dearth of experienced heli jocks - but how long must we wait? As always, market forces prevail...

------------------
May the Force be with you - and may Gravity treat you gently..

MightyGem
6th Oct 1999, 08:01
Not so sure about skycop's last. During my last visit to my old Regiment (Sept), people were fighting to get out through the door! And that's despite the soon to arrive Apache.

Skycop
7th Oct 1999, 02:00
Mighty G, Having read the latest AAC mag on the Apache learning curve I'm wondering if that's why they want to leave.

P.S. Isn't Close Air Support a crab responsibility?

Floppy Link
11th Oct 1999, 01:48
I go away for a week and you lot flood the thread with uplifting stuff!
food for thought

VSQUARED
12th Oct 1999, 09:28
Vulture, I am planning to sell my soul and leave mil helo's for the dreaded plank and would love some top tips. Could you please help me out.

Pinger
13th Oct 1999, 04:13
Skycop, I consider your use of the words "crab" and "responsibility" in the same sentence a non-sequitur. ps explain.

Thank God teeny-weeny airways got the job.

[This message has been edited by Pinger (edited 13 October 1999).]

Skycop
14th Oct 1999, 00:22
Pinger, The AAC by their own admission have got one helluva shock coming due to the quantum leap in technology, in both piloting terms and in engineering support. They have tried unsuccessfully for years to absorb the heli transport / support fleet and now it seems they have taken on another different role that was originally given to the RAF. ... It seems to me that things have gone 180 degrees the wrong way. Perhaps it all stems from the fact that there aren't enough aircraft to go round. (No doubt you will wish to argue that because you know that the Navy can do it all better). However we digress from the aim of this thread, perhaps someone should start another one and get the gloves out.

------------------
May the Force be with you - and may Gravity treat you gently..

[This message has been edited by Skycop (edited 14 October 1999).]

Tabasco
15th Oct 1999, 20:04
Pleased to see that the RAF maintain ther arrogance even when no longer serving

Tabasco
15th Oct 1999, 20:13
Ok, I fell for it,thanks for that Skycop/Pinger, I will pay attention next time.

[This message has been edited by Tabasco (edited 15 October 1999).]

Skycop
15th Oct 1999, 22:56
Tabasco, :)