PDA

View Full Version : Scampton Cummerbund Trivia

SirToppamHat
2nd Oct 2005, 10:51
Sorry to bother you busy people with trivia, but as Units various start to move back into Scampton, can anyone tell me whether there was ever a Stn Cummerbund? My guess would be no, because in the days when Scampton was last fully operational, such things tended only to belong to formed units such as the sqns.

I only ask the Q because the subject came up at work the other day; personally, if such a thing exists, I would prefer to reinstate the old one, rather than, as I have seen elsewhere, a completely new design that has no historical basis.

Words would be great, a picture fantastic.

I'll give it a few days, and then can this thread if there's no response.

TVM

STH

flipster
3rd Oct 2005, 09:31
STH

I don't think there was a Scampton station cummerbund when I was there in '95 - a couple of years before the station, as such, shut. However, CFS was the only major flying unit (the Reds being part of that illustrious organ) and they had the CFS 'bund. (The newest version of this is far less gopping than previous ones.)
Speak/write to the CFS Adj at RAF Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincs NG34 8HB.

Flipster

SirToppamHat
3rd Oct 2005, 09:47
Flipster

Thanks for responding, but CFS is not really appropriate, as we are 'standing-up' the new CRC at Scampton.

Options include using the logo from Neatishead (the previous 'CRC South') or even stealing Spiney Norman from CRC Boulmer (where he is currently Hedgehog non-grata).

I will also be in touch with Terrane Promotions to see if they've got anything on file.

Perhaps I shouldn't be worried about this trivia - my greatest concern is whether the FCs and scopies will be able to cope living above ground with windows!

STH

BEagle
3rd Oct 2005, 09:57
When I served at sunny Scampton on 35 Sqn in the days before it was handed over to Learning Command, there was certainly no 'station' cummerbund. In fact I suspect that such things were frowned upon in the '70s. And yes, I do mean the 1970s!

There wasn't a station cummerbund either when I did my CFS course in 1989.

In fact I don't think I've ever heard of a flying station having a 'station' cummerbund. Flying squadrons and folk like the Plods and Rocks, perhaps, but certainly no generic 'station' cummerbund.

SirToppamHat
3rd Oct 2005, 11:17
I have to say I wasn't terribly hopeful ... just wanted to ensure an opportunity was not missed.

STH

Axel-Flo
3rd Oct 2005, 12:43
Not a huge amount of help but...when I was on exam wing some time ago a bunch of JOs had a water fight in the bar (i feel sure somebody will put the truth up here soon) and shrunk the new bar carpet. Seeing as how they were "asked" to pay for said carpet they took the old one and had it made into cummerbunds...can't remember how many or what branches they all were but....:)

Inspector Dreyfuss
3rd Oct 2005, 18:55
STH

Didn't 'Spiney Norman' refer to a really irritating T93 convoy cdr?

Go for something different to annoy the A6 guys at Scampton - shouldn't be difficult!

FJJP
3rd Oct 2005, 23:16
To my knowledge, there has never been a Scampton 'station' cumerbund. Sqns, however, had their own. [68-70, 76-81].

tablet_eraser
4th Oct 2005, 18:46
Maybe, given the balance of comments, a separate 'bund for the CRC would be appropriate? It could include the Boulmer torch with its flame extinguished... ;)

Let's face it, not much could be worse than the eye-wateringly garish Boulmer cummerbund, with its tasteful Northumberland orange and gold!

t_e

SirToppamHat
4th Oct 2005, 19:45
t_e

A separate CRC one was what I was thinking of ... but if there was a way of incorporating the Scampton of the past that would have been a bonus.

I don't object to the colours of the Boulmer CRC one, it was the thinking behind it that I wasn't so keen on, which is why I continued to wear the 1993 one!

Perhaps I should go for a combination of the English Heritage logo and a big £ sign!

STH

Melchett01
4th Oct 2005, 20:37
If you're looking to do a CRC cumberbund, why not do it as a tribute to that charming place Buchan - a black scratch and sniff job that smells of fish ....... commemorating the total lack of sunlight up there with the fresh oceanic aroma of many of the local ladies :E

SirToppamHat
4th Oct 2005, 20:59
Because Buchan (pronounce boo shann by the posting officer to those who have asked for an overseas tour!) is not something anyone wants to be reminded of. Even though I only spent a couple of weeks there, it was quite long enough!

I have done a bit of a mock-up of my previous suggestion; anyone care to host a 64kb jpg?

STH

Melchett01
4th Oct 2005, 21:25
QUOTE]pronounce boo shann by the posting officer to those who have asked for an overseas tour[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the swines wouldn't give us LOA or LSSA for being stuck up there!!! Some overseas tour!

tablet_eraser
4th Oct 2005, 21:53
Invent a coat of arms for the CRC... I can see GEMS getting interested...

Here's my attempt (VERY bored!), for a dark blue 'bund:

Argent three Palets Azure and a Bend Sable in chief a Pound Sign Or and in base a Torch bendwise fument Brown on the Bend Sol in Meridian Or and a Roundel Azure charged with Roundels Argent and Gules a Chief Vert and on the Chief a Sword fesswise in pale Argent hilted and pommelled Or.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1086581/ScamptonBund.jpg

Boulmer's torch going out... self explanatory. Pound sign dominating the image... self explanatory. Sun... first time FCs are likely to see it often. Sword... for cutting the working day to a minimum ;)

STH, check your PMs.

Maple 01
4th Oct 2005, 22:33
STH, feel you should include a dead dog as part of the station historical aspect - though perhaps the dog's name should not feature.......

Onan the Clumsy
5th Oct 2005, 03:06
Perhaps the Bend can speak quite adequately to that.

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 07:16
Yes, a "Labrador, couchant, sable" might be a worthy addition?

teeteringhead
5th Oct 2005, 07:47
Labrador, couchant, sable ... good call BEags ... but I'd have thought that vulned, sarcellée, hurtée or even dechaussée might be more appropriate than couchant.

I think I'd probably opt for guttée de sang , although that might be as non-PC as the poor critter's name .....

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 08:02
You're probably right - heraldry is not my thing! 'Dormant with tyre tracks embossed' or something?

Gainesy
5th Oct 2005, 08:03
[QUOTE]Buchan (pronounce boo shann by the posting officer to those who have asked for an overseas tour!)

My first posting was "Bulma" which a few of us thought was in Malta. For a few minutes.:( :)

Buggah.

Would it not be a "Labrador squished"?

teeteringhead
5th Oct 2005, 08:14
What, as in "this parrot isn't mort , it's only couchant !"

Couldn't find a couchant mort or any merely "dead" term which would be more appropriate.

To translate the rest of the heraldic French:

vulned - wounded so that blood appears

sarcellée - cut through in the middle

hurtée – scattered with minor hurts

dechaussée - cut into pieces, which are set a small distance apart but preserve the original form

... and finally: guttée de sang - sprinkled with blood!! :ok:

[not bad for grammar school oik, eh!]

JessTheDog
5th Oct 2005, 08:51
A black cummerbund with two parallel tire tracks.

The untimely demise of canine companions is firmly in the tradition of another CRC! :E

Dogs, RIP.

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 08:55
Labrador, dormant sable, sarcellée with tyre tracks on field azure?

Gainesy
5th Oct 2005, 09:22
[QUOTE]A black cummerbund with two parallel tire tracks.

Thanks Jess, tea all over keyboard.:ok:

That's got to be the one!

teeteringhead
5th Oct 2005, 12:00
Labrador, dormant sable, sarcellée with tyre tracks on field azure ... BEags , that's brilliant ...:ok:

As icing on the cake, might I suggest that the tyre tracks take the form of a bend sinister (line from sinister chief to dexter base - oh all right - top left to bottom right as you look at it), thereby suggesting the bastardy of the driver!

All we need now is someone with the skill to construct and paste that design.....

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 12:22
Thanks!

But the road on which poor old N*gg*r was run down ran virtually North/South sans bend. The present day bend was added many years laterwhen sunny Scampton was upgraded for the V-force.

As this was Ermine Street, perhaps an heraldic aspect to the old Roman road should be included?

(My asterisks for the woofer's name, BTW)

teeteringhead
5th Oct 2005, 13:46
Sorry for inadequate explanation BEags (no wonder I never got my A1!), a bend in heraldry IS a straight line, normally about 03/21 in runway terms, but the bend sinister (often denoting bastardy) is more like 15/33.

If you wanted the tyre tracks to be 36/18, then they would be "fesswise" (lovely word).

An Teallach
5th Oct 2005, 14:47
This is getting good. Why not use modern technology for animation and have:

On a field argent, a bend sinister ermine surmounted with a labrador sable sarcellée propre. A chief vert surmounted of deux yeux chassieux tournant propre .

A white / silver shield with an ermine left bastardy bend surmounted with a bisected black lab. On a green bar at the top, 2 rotating bleary eyes.

BEagle
5th Oct 2005, 15:43
On a field azure, a bend sinister ermine surmounted with a labrador sable sarcellée propre (plus whatever 'tyre tracks between the 2 labrador halves' is!).

Azure - for the sky
Bend sinsiter - indicates bastardry afoot by letting concrete cavern refugees inhabit a fine old bomber station!
Ermine - for the Roman road
Labrador sable - for poor old N*gg*r
Sarcellée - result of N*gg*r's encounter with the vehicle.
Tyre tracks - mark of said vehicle

And for the Fighter Controller links? Well, if really needed, you could have the 'chief vert surmounted of deux yeux chassieux tournant propre' to represent hours of gazing at the scope!

An Teallach
5th Oct 2005, 15:52
Actually, Beags, come to think of it, the black lab could be bisected by the bend ermine sinister. A bend ermine is about as close as you'll get in heraldry and really does look quite like tyre tracks.

Maple 01
5th Oct 2005, 15:56
Not forgetting Gibson has frequently been described as 'the bend sinister' by his ex-groundcrew........

Gainesy
5th Oct 2005, 16:40
Good game this, how about other bases/ organisations?

Main Building- a pair of crossed morale-mops against a large purple question mark?:)

An Teallach
5th Oct 2005, 16:56
Someone came up with a blazon and motto for the scribblies assoc (did it ever get off the ground?): A crossed quill and sword with the motto "The pen is mightier with the sword." This was eventually pooh-poohed on the grounds that too many wags would mess around with the spacing of the 2nd and 3rd words and add a comma after the third!

I thought having "The sword is mightier with the pen" would be a lot better for various reasons, but that was pooh-poohed on the grounds that the 'hanging' pen at the end would be far too tempting for additions.

Oh well, it was an early lesson in military heraldry. One must never ignore a pooh-pooh, must one?

Tablet: I think the propre referred to poor Nigger and you're not getting away with a sword: Get the rotating bleary eyes back on there! :p

tablet_eraser
5th Oct 2005, 17:13
It goes on... my sword is bloody well staying! STH might make some use of it to strike down inefficiency and cut the working day...

A Bend proper - usually referred to as a Bend - extends from the dexter chief to the sinister base from the shield's POV - as you look at it, from the top left to the bottom right. A Bend sinister goes the other way round. Bends sinister are not used as often as Bends proper.

Right... the Bend is going, replaced by a grey road. In between the Sun and the RAF roundel I'll add a dead, bleeding black labrador. I'll charge the Chief with a winged, bleeding blue eye, appearing in front of the sword. And a motto... as Jess mentioned, there is a certain history with dead dogs in the Fighter Control branch.

So...

Argent three Palets Azure and a Rue bendwise Grey in chief a Pound Sign Or and in base a Torch bendwise fument Brown on the Rue Sol in Meridian Or and a Labrador vulned mort Sable and a Roundel Azure charged with Roundels Argent and Gules a Chief Vert on the Chief a Sword fesswise in pale Argent hilted and pommelled Or and a Lumiere winged affronte volent vulned the Iris Azure the whole above a Scroll charged Après Moi le Chien Mort.

Adequate references to deceased dark canines, fading Northumberland AD units, money, and 617 Sqn?

:ok:

An Teallach
5th Oct 2005, 17:29
Excellent motto. However, your charge on the Chief now strangely reminds me of a historic night at the Penguin Club at Sexual Void for which a certain Flash was pleased to strip me of a Spec Rec for promotion.

Boy, it was worth it, though! :ok: Especially since I was 2 ranks higher up the greasy pole anyway within 18 months!

Inspector Dreyfuss
6th Oct 2005, 15:15
A saxa story - tell us more.....

JessTheDog
6th Oct 2005, 19:42
Canis Mortus

An Teallach
6th Oct 2005, 20:18
Insp Dreyfuss

Cx your PMs.

Griz
6th Oct 2005, 20:25
"In fact I don't think I've ever heard of a flying station having a 'station' cummerbund. "

Lossiemouth has

:8 (oh god I've become boring)

JessTheDog
7th Oct 2005, 07:39
Stn cummerbunds are not unknown north of the border, perhaps because of the availability of tartan. A certain other station, recently drawn down, had a tartan cummerbund.

Northern Circuit
7th Oct 2005, 16:53
Labrador, dormant sable, sarcellée with tyre tracks on field azure?

I'm sure i saw that on a menu in southern france.

SpotterFC
8th Oct 2005, 19:41
STHs attempt:

http://www.raffca.co.uk/sacumb.png

Roland Pulfrew
10th Oct 2005, 12:05
It's a bit bright isn't it:cool: ???? And in 8 Sqn's colours, or was that deliberate?;)

SirToppamHat
10th Oct 2005, 13:16
Well the red is a given as it is from English Heritage. The others were just chosen at random and DEFINITELY NOT anything to do with 8 Sqn!

I thought they were supposed to be bright?

STH

Maple 01
10th Oct 2005, 17:51
8 Sqn bright? Come on STH, you've met their FCs........:suspect:

;)

SirToppamHat
10th Oct 2005, 18:29
Maple

Your interpretation of my post reminds me of your intreps - amausing but slightly off the mark ... ;)

I was, of course referring to the colours, but I know what you mean!

STH