PDA

View Full Version : Two trivial questions Google can't answer.

SyllogismCheck
2nd Oct 2005, 02:40
Two brief and insignificant questions if I may.

1. On my laptop I have a dial up connection set up for use with the modem on my mobile. When using the machine at home (on a wireless network) the dial up connection box for this mobile connection pops up frequently. Sometimes this is when there is a broken link on page resulting in the browser thinking it has no connection (this I can accept) but more often just at random times.
I seem to remember that the properties for each connection had a 'Never dial a connection' check box in Win 2K, but I can't seem to see this in XP Pro.
Is there such a check box in XP to stop this irrelevant but rather annoying occurrence and I'm simply missing it?
BTW, I know I'll have to force the dial up connection when I need to connect via my mobile if there is such an option to tick, but this isn't frequently so I'd rather that than the current situation.

2. I've already removed and reinstalled to attempt to fix the problem to no avail and am becoming slightly annoyed with the fact that my Messenger settings (font, sign on status, MSN today pop up, etc) seem to reset themselves on a daily basis. Has anyone else encountered this problem? It seems to have started when I was forced to install version 7.5, or whatever the latest is, by the program itself.
Has anyone else experienced this or know of a fix?

As I say, very trivial issues but still slightly niggling as the little things tend to be.

Any suggestions or solutions much appreciated.

ORAC
2nd Oct 2005, 07:59
Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Never dial a Connection?

SyllogismCheck
2nd Oct 2005, 11:29
Erm, ah yes. That'll be the one. Thanks ORAC. There was me smashing about in the various connection settings looking for exactly that box. :=

In my defense, I think that's the first time I've opened IE since I used it to D/L Firefox. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :suspect:

Cheers. :ok:

frostbite
2nd Oct 2005, 20:23
My dialup box also pops up at random (XP) although I have 'never dial' checked.

Often find it sitting on top when I return to the computer after a break.

SyllogismCheck
2nd Oct 2005, 22:51
Warrabout the messenger thing then? Seems to be around the witching hour that it does it! No virus found and no real issue aside from getting cheesed off with correcting my font. Strange, very strange.

FunkyMunky
2nd Oct 2005, 23:50
I've noticed the same with the latest messenger losing my font, custom emoticons, display pictures etc. It disappeared randomly however - a bug perhaps?

SyllogismCheck
3rd Oct 2005, 00:23
It's not just me then. The one that really bugs me is the sign in status. I have mine set to 'offline' and it defaults back to 'online'. I have a boss somewere around, one who's probably watching me, I'd be watching me!
It's best he/she doesn't know when, er, or if I'm messing on the net on their time.

On second thoughts, maybe they owe me... still best to save the favour though I suppose.