PDA

View Full Version : Holidaying in Zambia

Kolibear
1st Oct 2005, 21:42
Ms K & I will be holidaying in Zambia in a months time, staying in the South Luanga NP. I've been trying to buy a map of the NP in London, but without success. All the maps I've seen cover all of Zambia, which is not what I want.

Is such a map available and are there any Ppruners out there would would be prepared to send me a copy. I will of course, pay for it and also the postage to the UK, in USD or GBP, whatever is better. PM me if you can help

We are flying into Lusaka and then on to Mfuwe, the paperwork says that its a charter flight. Is there a scheduled Lusake-Mfuwe service? All I can find on the web is a company called Proflight who flies that route?

Finally, do any ppruners fly Lusaka-Mfuwe, am I likely to meet you?

thanks

K

Bosbefok
1st Oct 2005, 23:27
http://www.luangwa.net/countries/parks.htm

utala
2nd Oct 2005, 03:58
These guys seem to have a schedule into Mfuwe. You will have a wonderful time in South Luangwa.

http://www.airwaves.co.zm/index.htm

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Oct 2005, 05:50
Some good fishing out there. Just keep an eye open for flat dogs and hippos....:ok:

Coleman Myers
3rd Oct 2005, 06:53
Zambian Airways flies to Mfuwe with B1900D's - very pleasant lot. Watch out for Proflight too.

In addition to the hippo\'s and flaties you may want to avoid the north of the part where many an uneventful pre-flite has been spoiled by the knawing jaws of a Tstese fly. The south is truly incredible - I have never seen so may Leopards in one place so frequently

9J-LUN
14th Oct 2005, 12:47
lucky you! going to Zambia

Zedd
15th Oct 2005, 23:00
I agree.. Lucky you going to Zambia! Its a great place and the South Luangwa is lovely. Where will you be staying? Dont worry about a map, you will be able to get one once you arrive. They have a pretty good edition on sale at Moon Dogs cafe at the Mfuwe airport with enough detail for your stay.

North Park is magic and all the camps are pretty special. Which one you going to? You will probably fly to the North Park from the south. I used to love that trip.. only about half an hour but what you see as you fly along the Luangwa river is breath taking.

Many happy mornings cruising up the river rather low!

Kolibear
16th Oct 2005, 20:16
Thank you for all the replies, only a fortnight to go, we are jabbed up and have enough malaria pills to feed an army!

SWT - not going fishing, birdwatching is my other passion. But Mrs K will be keeping a VERY good eye open for Hippos, as she's got a bit of a thing about Hippys. She will be having a major birthday while we are out there and wanted to have a birthday with hippos. Apparently I don't qualify

Coleman - Leopards!! :ok: my favourite cat. I've got a vague ambition to see at the cats of the world. Anyone know a good site for caracal? :O Not looking forward to tstese though, had enough of those little bu66ers in Zim a couple of years ago.

Zedd - staying at Kafunta

Once again, thanks for all your help - if you anyone is flying the Lusaka-Mfuwe run at the beginning of Nov, and you get some nerd PPL asking to sit in the RH seat, it could be me!

er.... flat dogs?? = Crocs?