PDA

View Full Version : Do you like somone whos is high on happiness

philip2004uk
1st Oct 2005, 18:28
Well it's just a question to try and find out from my 3 years at the airport seeing pilots walk everywhere and seen as i really want to fly and before i give my 20,000 pounds over to do it i wanted to know whether people like me would be liked as i see alot of pilots get frustrated when i talk excited about being a pilot i start talking really fast and say stuff and well an american when i said bye just went emhum although he was happy chatting to begin with.
Just wandering if it was because i got talking with a smile and wasnt looking serious although i do see the odd person who is more like yeah go for it good luck mate.
However i've only really talked to 2 and just watch the others go past so they're probably just stressed 'cause i know how bad the hours are.:D

eoincarey
1st Oct 2005, 19:00
OK, im going to point out the blindingly obvious and hilarious. It is evident from you post that indeed you are a very forthright and energetic chap, as I could almost feel myself running out of breath reading it.
Full stops are a GOOD thing, so maybe try and use them in your conversations as well. If you spoke like that towards anyone, then yes, chances are they are going to get just a teensy bit bemused by a torrent of words being thrown at them.
Generally, pilots don't really like to hear about the woes and aspirations of wannabees, as most likely it's depressing for them; you are not the first one they've met!!

Just chill when you talk, all they want to know is that you're a sound guy to talk to (and that you have just the one head!)

ETC

philip2004uk
1st Oct 2005, 19:32
Thankyou .
i am just someone whos really happy but would be serious if someone was upset and i am considerate and go the speed limit being cautious in that sense so hopefully people will be o.k with that
Thanks for you reply
And yep i just write and send without thinking i feel like im always rushing to get the messages out without thinking.

Old Smokey
2nd Oct 2005, 05:41
Ummm, Philip, your enthusiasm on this and other forums is infectious, you remind me of my younger days when I was an excited aspiring wannabe. I'm sure that you'll make it.

If you genuinely want advice from those already in the 'business', may I draw attention to a quote from your own post?
And yep i just write and send without thinking i feel like im always rushing to get the messages out without thinking.
That would be about the worst attribute that any pilot could possess, may I suggest that you work on this one first as phase 1 of your career development? Impulsive, unconsidered actions in a pilot's actions have caused many a disaster.

Sit on your hands, silence the bell, take a deep breath or two, consider all of the consequences, and then act accordingly.

You'll make it, just slooooowww down. If all of the 'pros' are really snubbing you at the airport, send me a PM and we'll have lunch the next time I'm in Manchester.

Oh! the original question, it's the best, most exciting, interesting, fascinating job in the world. It just gets better every day. I guess, on the basis of that, that I'm extremely happy! :ok:

Regards,

Old Smokey

Farrell
2nd Oct 2005, 08:31
Old Smokey...

That's about the nicest gesture I've ever seen on this forum.

Good on you! :ok:

Right Way Up
2nd Oct 2005, 08:43
Great post Old Smokey. Philip try to keep that enthusiasm, believe me our profession needs more people with sunny dispositions.

No_Speed_Restriction
2nd Oct 2005, 08:45
Philip, I just wish half of the GPU's I've used in the past had as much energy as you.They normally konk out half way but youre operating on full steam.Go for it.

By the way, the £20,000 figure you quoted......multiply it by four.

barit1
2nd Oct 2005, 13:35
Philip - Happiness is great, but so is skill in communicating.

Count the number of words in your first sentence.

philip2004uk
2nd Oct 2005, 16:34
Cheers everyone. normally in a work environment i switch to serious and never let anything get into my head it's just when i'm in retail being bored then i'm on a break my levels of brain activity go ten fold in comparison to the boredom so i do talk alot.

If i talked to someone while i have been doing brain activity in the day then i would be sound so to speak.
There's one thing else that could make myself become more together and thats s*x o.k im not that type but a relationship would make me so much different well that's what my manager said.

Plus manchester airport t1 isnt the most appealing terminal to work in.

T3 all the way

So thanks again

I found the posts encouraging

:p