PDA

View Full Version : Flight today of Wright Flyer replica

RJM
1st Oct 2005, 08:58
This morning at about 1000hrs Aust Eastern Std Time a replica of the Wright brothers' 'Model A' was supposed to have taken to the air:

'During the past three years a replica of the Wright Flyer has been under construction at Narromine in western NSW.

On the weekend of October 1-3 it will take to the sky for it's first public flight. Buz Aldrin (the second man to walk on the moon) will be at Narromine to dedicate the Wright Flyer replica. The pilot will be Col Pay who will also bring his restored Kittyhawk and Mustang aircraft for a flying display on the Saturday afternoon.

We are encouraging GA aircraft to fly into Narromine for the weekend. Many activities are planned including balloons, gliding, model aircraft, vintage cars, a black tie dinner on the Saturday night and lots more.'

Does anyone know how it went? Col and Judy Pay are both well-known around Australia for their exploits in restored WWII fighters.

CoodaShooda
3rd Oct 2005, 00:07
RJM

ABC TV News (I think) ran an article on the Model A late last week.

It included footage of Col taking it for a brief flight down the runway in preparation for the official launch on the weekend.

V. impressive :ok:

RJM
5th Oct 2005, 13:42
The replica did fly on the day, and flew quite well.

from http://www.livejournal.com/users/dewhitton/651191.html

'Narromine Airshow'
(fuzzy pic of Flyer floating over crowd)
This tiny photo is the replica Wright Flyer Model A at an altitude of 4m over the heads of dignitaries. A cross wind meant the plane couldn't use the main runway so they used the second runway, which is 300 meters from where I was standing. The only modern consessions (in the replica) are a 57hp motor from a Hilman Imp, and modern synthetic sail cloth.

Footnote: Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, was in attendance at Narromine.

"I've been to Narromine and saw the Wright Flyer fly. Now I have something to brag about."

Buzz Aldrin, on Prime Local News. :p

cringe
5th Oct 2005, 22:24
http://dubbo.yourguide.com.au/images/story/jpgs/428288.jpg

Woomera
6th Oct 2005, 06:48
"...Col and Judy Pay..."

Ah, RJM, it is my understanding Col and Judy Pay are totally un-related.

Col must almost be as old as the original Wright Flyer!! :} Well, almost........... :O

RJM
6th Oct 2005, 07:14
I didn't know that - just made an assumption. I was wondering why Col was happy to let his wife drive so often :p

Fantome
11th Oct 2005, 07:09
. . . . . 'Peewee", as he was known in his formative flying days at Narromine, was taught by a former Beaufighter pilot, (Neil Johnson?), and kicked off commercially with Pay and Williamson, a super spreading outfit at NRM. He picked up his first 'Stang before the move to Scone. Some say he'd leave an impression on the roof of the aero club. . .. but "some say" a lot of things.

His friendship with Neil was such that at an early age he dreamed of a collection of Second World War aircraft . . . the "Beau" in particular. Whether he adds the Narellan one to his stable is an interesting speculation.

(The story behind the retrieval of AUB from Richmond in FNQ is a little classic. The bloke with Gee Bee Pilot Supplies at EN has the drop. And a pearler of a shot of the beast when it was up there, still in 'Titus' Oates pillarbox red.)