PDA

View Full Version : Helidata Article at Heli-Tech about S-92 failures

SASless
1st Oct 2005, 07:32
Heli-Data put out a trade edition at Heli-Tech and discussed some of the important problems with the new Sikorsky S-92.

The article mentioned a uncommanded float inflation on approach to a rig, an engine failure during takeoff from a rig, a ground fire resulting from an electrical wire arcing against and burning through a hydraulic line, problems with vibrations and electronic dampers, Airspeed restrictions, Main gearbox lubrication pump problems and noise complaints from people on the ground.

I would not have liked to be in the Winged S suite about that time.

JimL
1st Oct 2005, 11:22
I think it is to Sikorsky's credit that they are willing to discuss all problems with their customers and their customer's customers. There does not appear to have been a withholding of information - although most of what is being said carries a caveat that solutions can only follow when the problem is correctly understood; hence the time taken to provide a final resolution to the gearbox oil pump drive failure.

The weekly (Friday morning US time) web-cast with customers appears not to have a restriction on its membership; interested parties - i.e. the end users - have also been invited to take part although relationships between operator and customer remains quite sensitive.

I’m not sure that there has been an engine failure on take-off from a rig although there has been an engine shut-down (no fault with the engine it was an airframe related issue) during a Category A take-off from one of the bases. No surprise that the continued take-off was completed as projected - followed by a circuit and a single-engine landing.

Solutions have been provided, or are in the process of being provided, for all of the problems that have been resolved (most in fact) including a redesign of the passenger door to make it more oil industry friendly.

I’m sure Sikorsky will benefit from the openness that they have exhibited so far - a step change from the past when it took weeks or months to hear of a problem in another part of the world.

Jim