PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's preference

Rinse Aid
30th Sep 2005, 18:38
Hello. I have what is probably a very simple and obvious question which has been nagging at me for about a week. I hope you'll excuse my ignorance of the subject; I am not a qualified pilot and what I know about aviation you could write long hand on the back of a postage stamp.

What are the factors that determine which side of a two-seat side-by-side cockpit the pilot sits on?

If I may, I'll explain why I'm asking. I have observed generally that in aircraft fitted with dual controls, whether private or commercial, the pilot in charge is usually seated on the left and the co-pilot on the right. This also seems to be the convention with certain military aircraft such as the Hercules and airliner derivatives. This is even the case with some light aircraft - I recently saw a Europa kit built plane in which the instrument panel was mounted so that only the pilot sitting on the left had a clear view of the console. The right hand side was mostly the radio stack and a map tray, despite this aircraft having dual controls.

However, many military types reverse this trend, particularly helicopters. I saw a Lynx and a Police helicopter of some sort in which the pilot sits on the right and the observer on the left and as far as I can tell this is a common arrangement in both military and civilian helicopters. Is this something to do with the fact that these aircraft are not dual control?

What finally got me thinking was when I viewed a Rotorway kit built helicopter. I read an article in which the author criticised the risk of skinning ones knuckles against the left hand side door frame when operating the collective. I also noted that the left hand side cyclic had a radio tuning switch in addition to an intercom, whereas the right hand side cyclic had only the intercom. Clearly the pilot is meant to sit on the left. But if this is a kit built aircraft, isn't it up to the builder? Why can't the builder switch the two cyclic grips around, avoiding the risk to his knuckles and also perhaps permitting easier access to the radio equipment mounted in the instrument stack? This latter thought occured to me when I thought about which control one would most likely let go of momentarily at need. Surely one could afford to release the collective momentarily to adjust the radio or transponder or GPS if necessary during flight more than one could afford to release the cyclic? If the pilot sits on the left, then he doesn't have to reach across himself with his left hand to do this, or swap the cyclic into his left hand, if you follow me.

Anyway, sorry for blithering. Just thought I'd explain why I'm asking in case that helps with the answer.

By the way, the question was: What are the factors that determine which side of a two-seat side-by-side cockpit the pilot sits on? ;)

I'd be very grateful for an explanation of the why's and wherefores.

Thanks!

Intruder
30th Sep 2005, 18:55
Tradition and standardization.

For some reason the "Captain's seat" or Pilot in Command seat in fixed-wing airplanes has evolved as the left seat. For some unrelated reason it has evolved as the right seat in helicopters.

Maybe there are VERY old whys and wherefores, but I don't know what they are.

barit1
1st Oct 2005, 17:38
Helicopters:

The story I've heard is that the early side-by-side Sikorsky machine (R-4?) had separate cyclic sticks, but a single collective stick between the seats. The trouble arose when pilots who were trained on one side had great difficulty changing sides (conditioned reflexes being what they are). Most pilots preferred the right-hand seat (cyclic in the right hand, collective in the left).

And since many missions require looking straight down, the view is less obstructed if the collective is inboard.

But that's just one story. There are probably others.

BlueEagle
2nd Oct 2005, 00:25
Also but not only. An easy way to find your way around was to follow a line feature, such as a main road or railway, particularly in less than perfect weather. The rule of the 'road' was to keep such line features on your LEFT, this way you didn't meet an equally 'unsure of his position' pilot coming the opposite way on your side as he would have the feature on his left, hopefully!!!
(The Bell 47G helicopter has the pilot on the left too!).

SkySista
2nd Oct 2005, 10:24
So it's nothing to do with approaching and mounting a horse from the left then?? Bummer, that would have been a neat explanation!! ;) :p

BlueEagle
2nd Oct 2005, 12:39
I can honestly say, without fear of contradiction, that I have never, ever, tried to mount a horse from either side!;)

barit1
2nd Oct 2005, 15:24
An easy way to find your way around was to follow a line feature, such as a main road or railway,

IFR = I
Follow
Railroads
:cool:

SkySista
2nd Oct 2005, 16:18
Blue Eagle... :E

I knew it wouldn't take long.... hmm but i do remember the left side of a horse thing being the explanation for why things are done a certain way.... maybe the reason Brits & Aussies (and others) drive on the left of the road?? :confused:

Complex_Type
2nd Oct 2005, 18:13
maybe the reason Brits & Aussies (and others) drive on the left of the road??

This goes back to the days before automobiles, when people travelled on horseback and when passing they preferred to keep each other on the side which they would present their sword for defence. Not sure why the rest of europe do it the other way, as far as I know they are not all predominantly left handed!

Countries driving on the left:

Japan, UK, Ireland, India, Australia, NZ plus a few more.

Sweden changed overnight on a single day in 1969.

Anyway, Captain on the left. Many panels have one primary set of instruments, if you go back to older aircraft and GA aircraft the T Panel instruments are on that side only (although not always in the conventional T layout on some older aircraft where the designer planned the panel by puking on it and then cutting out holes where large clusters landed).

Sven Sixtoo
2nd Oct 2005, 19:37
I was told that fixed-wing captains sit on the left because on Flyer the engine was on the right and Orville or Wilbur was on the left.

Helo captains sit on the right because its generally easier to fly right hand on cyclic and left hand on collective, and in early helos with only one collective (in the middle) that put the pilot on the right for preference.

But lots of former WP designs follow the fixed-wing convention.

Of cours that could all be bollocks.

Sven

Intruder
2nd Oct 2005, 20:48
I can honestly say, without fear of contradiction, that I have never, ever, tried to mount a horse from either side!
So, you fly the airplane from the back seat? :=

ATN
2nd Oct 2005, 20:49
On a chopper, even when the pilot sits on the LH seat the collective is on the left and cyclic on the right. One of the reasons the pilot generally seats on the right is at the beginning, the choppers didn't have any SAS or AP, hence the cyclic must be held permanently, whereas the collective can be locked in one position, making the left hand available for other tasks like radio, carb heat, mixture and so on.
There is no general rule, it all depens on the type.

Cheers

ATN