PDA

View Full Version : Living/Working in Taiwan

CLDriver
30th Sep 2005, 18:27
Hi All,

Can someone give me the skinny on living and working in Taiwan? I have an opportunity to interview with an US operator that has bizjets based there. They will give you $2500 USD per month housing allowance. Is this enough, or is it a drop in the bucket just to sound good?

The base pay would be great, but the other expenses, and the living conditions are of interest.

Like a lot of things in this industry, "it looks good on paper," but.....

Thanks

CLdriver

Medwin
30th Sep 2005, 19:48
I spent a week there last month for a job interview and I went to Taipei just to see how the area was and I had a hard time going around because all signs(bus, streets, directions, etc.etc.) are in chinese. It's not a tourist friendly country if you're going to ask me. I won't recommend living there unless you're willing to learn Mandarin. It's a beautiful country though.

typhoonpilot
1st Oct 2005, 18:21
I lived in Taipei for three years from 1995 to 1998. I also spend a few months per year there up to today. $2500 for a housing allowance alone will get you a very nice three or four bedroom apartment in the best areas of Taipei. There aren't really many villas for rent. Those that are would be in the Tienmu area and probably well over $2500 per month. If you have children in school the Tienmu area is where you would want to live as that is where the American school is. That is an expensive school. They have a website so it's easy to check out the tuition costs, etc.

Most people live in the downtown area as that is where all the action is. Big city living is different and if you haven't done it, it takes some getting used to. There isn't a whole lot of greenary or many parks like western cites have. You can get out to the fringes of the cities and hike in the hills or take weekend trips into the mountains. There are some really nice places in the mountains if you know how to find them.

The people in Taiwan are very friendly and some of the few remaining on the planet who like Americans. They have many western style restaurants and American chains like TGI Fridays, Hooters, Ruth Chris, Tony Romas, Swensons, Etc. The cost is slightly more than in the States. If you eat local street food it is very affordable. The street food is clean and safe. I've never had a problem eating there. As with all things you can spend a lot going out to eat or you can be very thrifty, it's your choice. I did a combination and found the cost very reasonable.

Most office workers in Taiwan make around $1000 per month and they survive. Taxis are cheap and plentiful and the public transport system is pretty good with busses and the MRT. Owning a car would be an unneccesary expense if you live in the city and fly out of Sungshan. Finding a place to park it would be a nightmare. That is why taxis or public transport are so much easier. If you want to rent a car for a weekend it is pretty affordable and easy to do. Finding your way on the roads is another story.

As the poster above says, it is a little difficult to get around if you don't speak Mandarin. If you are going to stay there for any length of time it would be best to learn a little. After awhile you can recognize quite a few characters and that helps. If your single it's easy to pick up an interpreter ;)

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Typhoonpilot

tomcat21
2nd Oct 2005, 05:03
CLdriver check your pm

CLDriver
2nd Oct 2005, 22:50
Typhoonpilot,

Thanks for the info. We'll see how the interview goes, I may have some specifics to ask you later.

Appreciate it.

CLdriver

JTF
4th Oct 2005, 00:11
I lived in Kaohsiung for a year (not as a pilot- while I was furloughed) and I go back to Taiwan a few times a year. I love it there even though my Mandarin is very weak. I keep looking at this site for pilot jobs there, but I am starting to get very discouraged with the prospects at China Airlines and EVA. Taipei is definitely more expensive than Kaohsiung, but $2,500 a month is so much more than the average person makes that you should be able to have an awesome standard of living. If you really want to stretch your money you could find some expat English teachers who will show you how they can bring in less than $2000 US a month, live fairly well, and still save a fair amount for when they go home. If you are single- you will be a very happy man as long as you don't have to have everything in the Western way. You'll be able to afford a great place and great food and great life style. You won't need a car with the MRT (subway) and cheap taxis. You might eventually work up the nerve to get a scooter- quite an exilerating rush risking your life and limbs every time you go out. I enjoyed it greatly. It is definitely a different kind of place to live than you are used to, but if you like a little adventure you will love it there, if you can't accept a lot of energy and differences and require a very Western lifestyle, you probably won't like it all that much. I would personally jump at the chance for a descent flying job there and I wish you luck if you decide to go for it.