PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways A-310 crash report

punkalouver
30th Sep 2005, 17:57
The crash report on the Kenya Airways A-310 is available on the BEA French accident website. They have translated the report that the Ivory Coast board published in French.

Everything was normal on the takeoff roll until just after rotation when a false stall warning activated. The copilot pushed forward on the controls in reaction to the warning and descended from their maximum altitude of little more than 300 feet AGL in a continuous descent into the ocean. Automatic callouts by the aircraft were 300, 200, 100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. No GPWS callout was made because priority went to the stall warning and the overspeed warning which also sounded because they exceeded their maximum speed for their flap configuration.
The captain's(PNF) reaction after the stall warning sounded(The CVR has been translated from the LOCAL Swahili language.) consisted of two statements. After the stall warning started he said "uhooo", then after the 10 foot automated callout(24 seconds after the stall warning started), he said "go up"

http://www.bea-fr.org/docspa/2000/5...5y-n000130a.pdf

atakacs
30th Sep 2005, 18:08
Interestingly there is no hint as of WHY they got that bogus warning in the first place.

alex

NigelOnDraft
30th Sep 2005, 19:20
Interestingly there is no hint as of WHY they got that bogus warning in the first place??? Extensive section in the report discussing 2 reasons for warning, basically a True Warning or a False Warning. They discounted the True, and settled on the False, and give various possible reasons for the False warning. Given no FDR, and little useful wreckage recovered, had to leave it at that....

NoD

Globaliser
1st Oct 2005, 10:13
Correct links are here:-
French: http://www.bea-fr.org/docspa/2000/5y-n000130/pdf/5y-n000130.pdf (24.4.MB PDF)
English: http://www.bea-fr.org/docspa/2000/5y-n000130a/pdf/5y-n000130a.pdf (25.7 MB PDF)

Bart O'Lynn
2nd Oct 2005, 11:57
Having met and flown with the captain in a previous life his pathetic responses are of no surprise. Neither is the fact that he was the commander of an ill fated flight. Any report that doesnt lay the blame on this man being in command due to the nepotism and tribalism AT THE TIME is a whitewash.
KQ is a different beast now thankfully.

Please dont respond about attacking the dead. Tell that to the victims and their families.

This man could not check out in a light twin. never mind an airbus.

punkalouver
2nd Oct 2005, 18:58
Perhaps, but the most important requirement was met in here and so many other places. He was a local(CVR transcript translated Swahili language). Similarities in Gulf Air A-320 and Korean Air.

Konkordski
3rd Oct 2005, 10:01
Am I missing something - I thought this report was published months ago, in English and French, after years of waiting.

normal_nigel
3rd Oct 2005, 21:44
Bart

I have also had experience of the captain and I agree entirely with what you say.

Command of an Aorbus? I wouldn't have let him command a bike.

Tribalsim is indeed correct.