PDA

View Full Version : Rotors-Running ReFuels

EESDL
30th Sep 2005, 15:23
Is it just me but are locations willing to do RRRFs becoming fewer and fewer in UK?
Some atc have actually said that for H&S reasons they'll RRRF police/air ambulence/sar but not private/aoc!!
Do you think that they'll do it if the pilot wears a hi-viz vest whilst at the controls!!!

CRAZYBROADSWORD
30th Sep 2005, 16:33
You might be right where I fly the airfield people will not do it for anyone, so the likes of the police who use the place oftern do it themselfs.

md 600 driver
30th Sep 2005, 16:35
just a point
how much fuel ltrs per min are you using when your 2 engines are fired up awaiting rotors running refuel

ShyTorque
30th Sep 2005, 17:01
150lbs/hr on S-76.

cyclic_fondler
30th Sep 2005, 17:16
Not being a turbine bloke, is the rotors running refueling designed to save time or does the cost of burning the fuel outway the cost of another cycle on the engines?

rotorspeed
30th Sep 2005, 18:34
It's a time issue. In my experience it's not just the start up/shut down time that rotors running saves but it also means there is a sense of urgency that is so often lost at many airfields on refuelling. A rotors running takes say 5 - 10mins; a shutdown refuel 30 - 45 mins, because it inevitably includes having to pay on the spot too. Well actually not on the spot - often 10 minutes walk away!

Always frustrates me that more airfield refuelling operations don't understand that when you pay £10 a minute to save time, minutes matter!

Hughes500
30th Sep 2005, 19:47
If you have allison engines then a rotors running refuel not only saves time but money.
The allison has 1775 hours or 3000 starts on the N1 side and 6000 hours and 4500 start on the N2 side. Therefore you can runout of starts before hours = expense !!!

If you are down in Devon try dunkeswell they will give you rotors running - phone before hand

EESDL
30th Sep 2005, 21:11
My point exactly, we all know of locations that do RRRF, but that shouldn't matter....it should not raise an eyebrow. I fully understand that there are some stupid designs where it's positively dangerous to refuel with things turning...........

MD 600. Times the big issue, pre-book a RRRF and you can be off in the blink of an eye.
Yes, there's the added burden of starting a hot engine to add to the cost.

Bugs me that the service also depends upon which side the fuel driver has got out of bed. Know of one location where one driver is quite willing to do a RRRF as an important service, but his colleague simply will not do them!!

I wonder if airfields realise that the RRRF is a sought after facility, to such an extent, that pilots will often deviate off their root to use it because of the extraordinary amount of time it saves.

Gomer Pylot
1st Oct 2005, 00:02
A hot turbine wants to get hotter. Allison (Rolls-Royce) turbines are scary enough to start when cool, but when hot you have to watch them really closely, or you'll get a hot start before you can blink your eyes. A turbine hot-start is an expensive affair.

Arm out the window
1st Oct 2005, 00:56
As long as you motor them until TOT < 150 before you crack the throttle they're not a drama IMHO.

RS2
1st Oct 2005, 12:36
If your zooming up and down the UK try EGBO / Wolverhampton Airport (Ex Halfpenny Green), they offer rotors running refuels.

If your unlucky enough, and Im in the area, you mighty also get snapped for future appearance in the rotorheads around the world pages :ok:

EESDL
3rd Oct 2005, 10:25
Have used EGBO numerous times with no delays.
Snag is, these sort of facilities are getting fewer and I've never received a justifiable reason why!

(Intersesting character that refueller!!)

Floppy Link
3rd Oct 2005, 10:40
EESDL!
Can you chaps get one at EGBJ/Staverton or is it only for locally based operators? Last time I did it they were quick and efficient.
FL

Plus Greer Aviation at Prestwick can do it for the emergency services if in a hurry, far better to shut down for the coffee and free sweeties though. Maybe they'd do a RRRF for you if you were up that way again?

But then again - Prestwick landing and handling and navigation fees :uhoh: plus of course the yellow jacket :yuk: