PDA

View Full Version : Hour building around Joburg/Pretoria

mr_ericosta
30th Sep 2005, 15:03
Hi

I might be going to SA soon for some hour building. I need 50 hours and would like to know what the prices are like at the moment for 152's, 172's, Cherokees, etc... If known, details on available avionics would be appreciated too!

My SA PPL has expired but not my SA medical. Don't think it would be much of an issue renewing it.

Anything under R500/hour? I would like to fly from Wonderboom, Grand Central or Lanseria.

Cheers
Eric

Hobgoblin
30th Sep 2005, 16:09
Hey mr_ericosta!

If you find somewhere for R500 an hour let me know. Maybe if you could pursuade someone to sell you block time?

I am heading down there next year and want to do at least 100 hours ( same position as you regarding medical and license) but struggling to get replies from people.

Maybe they're not in business to make money:confused:?

Miragepilote
30th Sep 2005, 17:31
You're right, making money in South Africa is frowned upon. Even though the odd money laundering syndicate does get caught from time to time.

But taking your money, now that is a completely different ballgame, they will do that for you, without any small print... hehehehe....:p

I take it you have been around here before with SA licenses and medicals due.

Johannesburg area has lots of flying schools, as discusses on another thread on the African Aviation forum.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189777

But the area is boring to fly in. Try further south and also east as well, unless you specifically want to breathe Johannesburg's fresh air....

flying paddy
1st Oct 2005, 11:09
still at it - come to aldergrove.
cheers
paddy

Gerard123
1st Oct 2005, 14:55
I did my hours at swartkops airforce base, there is a C150 aerobat for R480/hr it is in great condition and has a 150Hp engine. I've seen 900 ft/min two up and half tanks before :cool:

You need to pay R1250 to join for a year which would be an extra R25 an hour for you. R505 vs R545 for the equivelant aerie at Grand Central. There are no landing fees or passenger taxes at swartkops either. Other aircraft are a Cherokee 160 - R540 Cherokee 180 - R580 and a Arrow 180 - R770

The club is very friendly has a great atmosphere with old warbirds all around the place. We're glad to take your money and help you out at the same time,contrary to what others have said above. Good luck with your flying and give us a call when you get here ;)

Hobgoblin
1st Oct 2005, 21:03
Sounds GREAT! Count on a call from me next week!:ok:

mr_ericosta
2nd Oct 2005, 08:11
R505 sounds great to me! How about the avionics? What's available? VOR, GPS, transponder, 2 radios, etc?

I gave the impression that I wanted to fly around Joburg but that's not true. I'm just going to be based there. I would actually love to fly to Bots and Namibia. Any chance the club would let me do that?

Maybe not with a C150 then... What's the range on that thing anyway? I can't remember.

Cheers
Eric

Rhodie
2nd Oct 2005, 11:23
Mr. e...

Gaberone should not be a problem with the C152, but Nam would be... FALA (customs) to FBSK is probably 2 1/2 hours in the C152 (it's many years since I flew a 150/2..!) :confused:

The Cherokee 180 or the Arrow would be fine for that trip, but more than likely via Upington for fuel and customs. The distance to Eros (if I remember correctly) is about 800nm with less than bugger-all inbetween Jhb and Windhoek - factor in a bit of wind and it's not a good idea without something like a C182 / C210 and long-range tanks, however, from Upington there is Keetmanshoop on the leg up if need be. Dont forget it will be b:mad:dy hot here in the next couple of months and you want to be as high as possible over the dry stuff up north.

Cheers

R

mr_ericosta
2nd Oct 2005, 12:02
Yeah, I know. I've done Grand Central-Upington-Windhoek (Eros)-Swakopmund-Eros-Gabarone-Lanseria-Grand Central before in an Arrow and it was quite a stretch! The longest leg (Eros-Gab) took over 4 hours and my unnoficial co-pilot and I agreed that when in the cruise if we couldn't get at least 120kt groundspeed on the GPS we would turn back, just in case. We got about 125 most of the time I think. It was over 2 years ago. One of my best x-countries!

Maybe I should go to Cape Town along the coast or something...

SpootNICK
2nd Oct 2005, 21:10
Here's a good routing if your up for a bit of sight seeing.

Me and the Mrs flew it while on holiday. She had never been to SA, so I figured what better way to show her the place than from a C172 at 9000 feet.

Grand Central - Bloem - Beaufort West - Stellenbosch. (+/- 8 Hrs)

Spend some time in CPT, Stellenbosch flying club is probably the best (if not the most scenic) club in SA, and will look after the plane while your doing the wine route.......hik:\

Then after a few days, fly the following

Stellenbosch - George - Port Elizabeth (night stop) (+/-5 Hours)

then

PE - East London - Margate - Richards Bay (night stop)

then back to Grand Central.

Give any of the schools a call, they are normally open to negotiations when it comes to block-hours. From personal experience, if youre going to be buzzing around SA for hour after hour its best if youve got something with a little more room than a C152. A C172 works out fine for 2 pax with baggage (a little slow though). I would say an Arrow would be the best plane for the Job. Wits flying club at Lanseria have an Arrow 180 that will be perfect for the job - and I thnk it goes for about R800/Hr

Enjoy the trip.

SN

Jangys
3rd Oct 2005, 06:39
Swartkops, Defence Flying Club basically the cheapest club in SA. Unfortunately new policy introduced from the 1st September 2005 depicts that you should have:

1) Been previously employed by the SA Forces
2) Join on invitation by club management

No private club members alowed to join anymore as Defence Flying Club are being incorporated into the SA Airforce.

Defence Flying Club Fleet:

2 x C150, ZS-IOP, ZS-EZX - standard equipment
1 x PA28-160, ZS-EVM - Full IF
1 x PA28-180, ZS-VSE - Full IF
1 x PA28-180 Arrow, ZS-FMY - Full IF
1 x Tiger Moth, ZS-OOS - Old timer

Hope it helps

SpootNICK
3rd Oct 2005, 17:50
Jangys,

That tigermoth must be a recent rebuild as that reg ZS-OOS was worn by a certain 747 freighter that pranged in Lagos two years ago.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/889820/L/

SN

Jangys
4th Oct 2005, 06:54
SppotNICK......dont know but it is there....

Hobgoblin
7th Oct 2005, 14:00
Unfortunately new policy introduced from the 1st September 2005 depicts that you should have:

Does having done 2 years National Service in the good old, bad old days count?

Sorry, supposed to read "have been employed by the SADF"