PDA

View Full Version : Please help me, I don't know where to start!

iambigbrother2
30th Sep 2005, 09:19
Hiya all, My friend referred me to this website, as I am really looking to get into working for an airline cabin crew. I am 17 and in my second year at college. From summer 2006 I would love to work for an airline cabin crew.

Firstly, where do I have to start i.e. when do I apply for a job - now although I'm 17?

Secondly, what are the good airlines that accept new people like me to the aviation industry, and what airlines accept people at 18

Thridly, what are the great plus points of working for the airline cabin crew

Fourthly, what are the negatives?

Please could you tell me as truthfully as you can as I would love to know how to break it into this industry!

All the best

James, Horsham, West Sussex

I Just Want To Fly
30th Sep 2005, 09:43
I have wanted to become a F/A for a long time, but have only just started applying.

I strongly suggest you have a good read through the threads on this website, partcularly the ones on Ezy Jet, Monarch, Ryan Air and the various LC carriers and charter airlines that operate out of the UK.

These have pleanty of information and will probably answer ALL of your questions.

Good luck!

Man Flex
30th Sep 2005, 10:14
I don't know about other airlines but our's doesn't take new cabin crew until they have reached 19 years.

If you like people and are fairly outgoing then this could be for you but don't be fooled.

Cabin crew work very hard. There are some very long days for very little reward (financially). The work is very demanding. The hardest job in the world is dealing face to face with the public.

By all means give it a go but don't necessarily consider it as a life long career.

Good luck.

iambigbrother2
30th Sep 2005, 13:39
i think it would only be for a couple years

6chimes
15th Oct 2005, 02:27
good luck with your search for a job

firstly, there are a few airlines that will take 18 year olds

don't be dis heartened if it takes a few interviews to be succesfull. each airline sees and wants something slightly different. also the interview technique used by airlines is an interesting experience that whilst is common to those of us in the industry it is different from anything else! if your friendly, outgoing, confident and enjoy working in a team you will be fine.

the benefits are that you will meet and work with some of the best people you will ever meet in your life, depending on the airline you end up working for you can enjoy seeing loads of different countries (usually the bars!!!). its a great job if you dont take yourself to seriously and can have a laugh.

the downside is that most airlines are trying to get as much out of you as they can and flying is stressfull on the old body which is not really understood by those on the ground which can at times get you down. the hours are pretty flexible so you might miss a few parties / friends cos you have to work when they are not. but i for one wouldnt change my job for the world. and you might read some bad stuff on here but if you asked most of them they wouldnt either and we are just letting off steam.

so good luck and i might see you 6 miles up at 500mph heading for the nearest watering hole next summer.

OZcabincrew
15th Oct 2005, 18:38
iambigbrother2,

It really depends on the airline you work for. Man Flex that there is very little reward (financially), this doesn't go for every F/A and every airline. I am guessing that F/A wages in the UK are quite low, in Australia, we are paid very well for what we do and it CAN be considered as a long term career, as well because it is very hard to get into in Australia. It is very hard work, but in another light is the easiest job in the world! Dealing with the public is tough and yes you have to be able to have a laugh, can't be too serious, but not immature either. Flying does take its toll on your body and you find yourself getting quite exhausted some days. It isn't as glamorous as it looks from the outside. I find the only glamorous part of it is walking through the airport to the aircraft and walking through the airport after leaving the aircraft, but then again in Australia it is still looked at by the public as being quite a glamorous job, i know in the US this isn't the case at all!

Good luck and as soon as your eligible to apply, start! cos as said, it may take you a couple of attempts to get in.

Oz

bmibaby.com
15th Oct 2005, 19:50
It's easiest to break into the profession of cabin-crew if you have had at least twelve months customer service experience, and I think that some airlines will now insist on this before you apply.

Some airlines, including bmi & bmibaby, will only accept you when you are 19, however our customer service agent staff can be accepted from 18 (and believe some have started at 17 if they have special skills such as foreign languages, travel/tourism qualifications etc.) so you may want to think about working on the ground for a season to see if it is for you.

Cabin crew do work hard, particularly if you work for a no-frills airline, but for all of the long & tiring 4-sector/3-turnaround days, you're working with a great group of people, have good benefits & a fairly good salary with good promotion prospects. It is truly unlike any other job with a real bustling environment, and the ability to work with people from many different backgrounds & cultures.

If as you mention cabin crew is not a lifelong profession for you, it will look good on a CV for other customer service professions, and have known some to go on to be teachers, hotel & catering management and have had two former colleagues go on to work in theatre.

Jetavia
15th Oct 2005, 22:10
You may want to consider one of the Ryanair cabincrew schools as a first step up the ladder.

Found this one http://www.cabincrewrecruit.com/steps.htm

Their requirements are according to the webpage:

· At least 18 years of age,
· Fluent in English,
· Able to pass an Aviation Medical exam,
· Able to Swim,
· Height between 157cm and 185cm,
· Able to pass a Criminal Record and Suitability check, including record of past five years activities,
· Hard working, flexible & willing to operate on a shift roster

More schools can be found on http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?sec=careers&ref=10003

TightSlot
16th Oct 2005, 05:09
And money, of course, don't forget the money... You need quite a lot of it to join Ryanair.

Absolutely not taking an anti FR stance, but important that all applicants are aware that the total costs of joining them as Cabin Crew (including training) is generally reckoned to be €2,500- €3,500.

So long as all applicants are aware that they must pay for training, and other things, then there is no problem.

OZcabincrew
16th Oct 2005, 05:19
pay for training, uniforms etc!!!!!!!! you must be joking!!!!!! How do Ryaniar get anyone to work for them!!!!!!!