PDA

View Full Version : Operations on Fixed Floats - UK Rules

albatross
30th Sep 2005, 08:38
In a discussion last evening it was stated, by someone who should know, that you are not allowed, in the UK, to operate a helicopter on fixed floats off ground and that all ops must be conducted off / onto water.
Having flown a few hundred hours on B206b / L and As365 on fixed floats in Canada I find this a little weird.
It certainly is not a flight manual limitation.
If true can someone explain the " thinking" behind this rule?

ATN
30th Sep 2005, 09:02
Albatross,

I have never seen anything in written prohibiting or limiting land ops with fixed floats - at least for SA 315 and SA 316. Maybe it has something to see with full autorotation on hard ground with inflated rubber floats. Any chance to see a pic of the AS 365 with floats ?

Cheers

ATN

helicopter-redeye
30th Sep 2005, 11:13
I recall there was a Mariner (R22 + Fixed Float) that crashed in the Rossendale Valley about 10 years ago and operated from Blackpool.

So unless the rules have changed it seems not.

(Also you get sea planes, Catalenas etc, landing on wheels on the hard so why not rotary?)

Hangar3
30th Sep 2005, 11:52
You can operate fixed floated aircraft throughout Europe from hard surfaces.
In fact the CAA limitations are that fixed floats should not be used on water, unless it is an emergency

TheFlyingSquirrel
30th Sep 2005, 11:54
Has anyone actually done the CAA sea examinations ?

ATN
30th Sep 2005, 13:42
On fixed wings the wheels protude from under the floats. A chopper fitted with inflated rubber floats can be landed normally from hover on a suitably cleaned surface, the problem is full autorotation, if the touchdown cannot be performed at zero horizontal speed and low vertical speed, then the final result is spectacular.

ATN

albatross
30th Sep 2005, 18:00
Sorry ATN don't have a photo on the laptop.
I will try to post one when I get home in a few days.
The old twinstar was a mean looking machine on fixed floats.:ok:

Hangar3
30th Sep 2005, 18:02
Flying Squirrel, no I don't think anyone has done the CAA float tests for the R22 or R44, maybe for other models. Robinson tested and certified them in the US, they have interesting footage of doing R44 Clipper autos to water at NIGHT !!

twinstar_ca
30th Sep 2005, 20:39
albatross, you meant an as355, didn't you?? i don't think i've ever heard of a 365 (dauphin) on fixed floats... :cool:

albatross
21st Nov 2005, 11:56
Yup I meant AS 355 - Twinstar.
Here, at last, is a link to a photo of the beast.
A very fun machine to fly.
I was told that the three we used were the only ones ever put on fixed floats.

http://www.verticalmag.com/community/index.php?showtopic=3981