PDA

View Full Version : Terminally bad.

unmanned transport
29th Sep 2005, 19:48
Terminally bad:

5 worst international airports
By Christopher Elliott.

Even if you travel abroad only occasionally, you may be familiar with some of the better airports internationally.

Like wide-open spaces? Vancouver (B.C.) International Airport is your terminal. Shopping? Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport is your preferred stopover in Europe. Tidy? Dubai International Airport, winner of the latest International Air Transport Association customer survey, fits the bill.

The good airports are easy to find. They pop up on every "best-of" list. They're no secret.

The bad ones? Well, that's another story. No one I know of conducts "worst-of" polls. If they do, they're not widely publicized. That's a shame, because it's these terminally awful terminals that you need to know about.

I'm here to help. By popular request, here are my five worst international airports. I've cobbled this list together with the help of this column's readers, my personal experience, and the survey data I was able to find.

But before I name names, allow me two quick disclaimers. First, this list is biased toward destinations where you're likely to travel. For example, one reader stationed in Iraq nominated Baghdad International Airport as one of the world's worst — a designation I'm not inclined to argue with. But which of us is planning a trip to Iraq anytime soon?

Second, and most important, if your hometown airport shows up here, please don't fire an indignant e-mail saying I've insulted every inhabitant of your city.

Here we go:

London Heathrow (LHR). This airport is so laughably bad that it deserves its own category. It's a dark, confusing maze blocked with security checkpoints staffed by humorless bureaucrats. And just when you think you've found your gate, you're forced to board a rickety bus that takes you to yet another dark, confusing maze of a terminal. On my last visit to this airport, I contracted a wicked case of Norwalk virus, the dreaded gastrointestinal ailment known for infecting cruise passengers. Thanks a lot, Heathrow. Matt Petersen, who works for a nonprofit organization in Alexandria, Va., says he's willing to overlook the cigarette smoke and confusing layout at Heathrow, "but there's no getting around the annoyance of that long, twisting, lurching bus ride." Indeed, there isn't.

One redeeming quality: The airport employees. Apart from the stone-faced security guards, the gate agents, customs officials, and airline employees I've met are friendly and apologetic about the monstrosity they work in.

Mexico City (MEX). Benito Juarez Airport is Mexico's tribute to Heathrow, to hear passengers talk about it. More of the same problems plague this airport, from confusing terminals to inefficient luggage-delivery systems, to the ever-present smoke. (As a point of disclosure, when I travel south of the border, it's always by land. Sounds as if that's the smart choice.) "Hellish," rants Oriana Tickell de Castellσ, a magazine editor from Mexico City. "I hate arriving on a long-haul flight to Mexico City. The luggage bands are too small to allow people to get close to it to pick up their luggage, especially from a large aircraft. Chaos ensues."

One redeeming quality: A new state-of-the-art extension of the east end of the airport recently opened, relieving some of the congestion. Unfortunately, it's not enough and now there's talk of building another airport to take the pressure off of Benito Juarez Airport.

Frankfurt, Germany (FRA). When readers nominated Frankfurt for my "worst international airports" list, I was skeptical. I used the airport frequently when I lived in Frankfurt a few years ago — never with much of a problem. So I decided to investigate it one more time to see if I was missing something. It turns out that I was. The walk between my gate and the luggage claim area was far too long to be called a walk. It was more of a hike. Cigarette smoke? Yeah, they've got that too. I couldn't even find the luggage claim area for my flight and ended up having to re-enter the secured area after making several wrong turns. Departing from Frankfurt is equally difficult, according to Alan Bloom, an executive with a sign company in Louisville, Colo. "Teutonic efficiency has been jettisoned in favor of total chaos," he complains. "The last time I had the misfortune of connecting in Frankfurt there was only one open security station between terminals and a mob of people spread out trying to squeeze into a single line. I was reminded of the scene in 'The Killing Fields' where the horde of people was trying to get into the French embassy."

One redeeming quality: Say what you want about the airport, the train connections into Frankfurt are excellent.

Moscow Sheremetyevo (SVO). It's probably unfair to compare this outdated, communist-era airport to anything in Western Europe. Then again, no one ever accused me of being fair, at least when it comes to my series of columns on airports (OK, to be perfectly honest, a lot of you did agree with my previous selections). This facility really makes the worst of the American airports seem not so bad. It is a crowded, gloomy terminal in which your senses are assaulted by the odors of unfiltered cigarette smoke. Want to catch a train into town? Not gonna happen — try the bus, which will take you to a Metro station. But that's before you stand in a half-hour long line at customs, and it also assumes you can elude the cab drivers. "They're very aggressive," says Steve Lyautey, an executive with a software company in Irving, Texas. "And on the way back, when you're trying to unload at the curb, it's a nightmare, because you have to deal with the luggage handlers."

One redeeming quality: A new international terminal is reportedly in the works. And not a moment too soon.

Paris Charles De Gaulle (CDG). At first I thought the vitriolic rants about the Paris airport — one traveler repeatedly referred to it as "D'Gall" — had something to do with the recent anti-French sentiment in the United States. But then I realized I was wrong. Charles De Gaulle Airport really is awful. "It looks like it was created by an architect on acid," says Ryan Jacob, a student from Madrid. "It loops round and round and round, forcing you to walk up and down crisscrossing escalators. When you finally find the way to the next terminal — with no help from Parisians — you realize that you have to take a 10-minute bus ride to get there." Sacre Bleu! Can't the Parisians get a real airport? Apparently not. "De Gaulle is a pigsty and a maze," concurs Robb Gordon, a traveler based in New York. (Since New York is home to what I consider the three worst airports in the United States, I take Rob's comments very seriously.) My impressions of CDG aren't overly negative, which accounts for its low placement on my list. But on my last visit, I do remember — you guessed it — the lingering stench of cigarette smoke that saturated my clothes.

One redeeming quality: Nothing comes to mind.

Whoa now, hold off on those e-mails, fellow Francophiles, smokers and anyone else who was offended by this list. I mean, on some level you have to agree that these airports need a little work — even if you are a chain smoker or have a thing for labyrinthine architecture. So instead of flaming me because you disagree, why not do something productive with your anger? Support efforts to modernize these horrible airports.

The rest of us should steer clear of these terminals if you can. If you don't — well, don't say I didn't warn you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Christopher Elliott writes about business travel and mobile computing, and publishes a weekly travel newsletter. You can e-mail him or visit his Web site.

For customer support options, tailored business advice, and a single point of access for Microsoft's small-business solutions, see the Microsoft Small Business Center home page.

PaperTiger
29th Sep 2005, 19:55
...the cigarette smoke and confusing layout at Heathrow...

...the ever-present smoke. (MEX)

Cigarette smoke? Yeah, they've got that too. (FRA)

...the odors of unfiltered cigarette smoke. (SVO)

...lingering stench of cigarette smoke... (CDG)5 out of 5. Do I perhaps smell an agenda here ? ;)

BahrainLad
29th Sep 2005, 20:04
Why does everyone have such a problem with Heathrow? Yes, it's big but they have these wonderful yellow things with black text that help you find your way around...only an utter simpleton could ever have a problem doing an airside transit at LHR.

And don't get me started on US airports (that are strangely absent from this list :confused:) that make you queue to check-in and then queue again to get your hold luggage screened....and that's before you get to the TSA point....aaaarrgh!

7006 fan
29th Sep 2005, 20:19
Blimey,

Did one like this not too long ago myself. Not another one!

Buster the Bear
29th Sep 2005, 20:42
In Luton's case, Tinminally bad!

MarkD
29th Sep 2005, 20:49
put DUB on the list.

DW11
30th Sep 2005, 07:20
Buster,

Any chance you could have a word at Luton and ask them to take down the Summer 2005 signs on the building work. It's becoming a bit of a joke at this stage. Love the intermittent lighting though.

Tom the Tenor
30th Sep 2005, 07:23
Put the tents at Beauvais on the list. Sheds are bad enough but tents!

CargoOne
30th Sep 2005, 10:09
My vote goes to Brussells National airport. Very long walk from the gate to the baggage reclaim and arrivals, endless stairs, stairs, stairs. If you arriving on SN longhaul and need to connect to some European flights from the other side of the terminal, be prepared for some 45 minutes walk, which is way too long for the terminal of this size and pax turnover.

30th Sep 2005, 10:37
It seems a bit hard on Frankfurt. However, I've only ever flown into it and have never connected there, so I can't comment really.

Heathrow depends on the terminal. I hate T1. I don't mind T4 at all.

I passionately hate CDG - and most people regard me as a francophile. Any airport where you don't get another opportunity to go to the toilet after you've passed through the security check has problems.

For all that people give out about Dublin, I don't find it too bad - except for the security queues.

Anyway, to dish out some praise for a change...

Good airports

Rotterdam - A small, but well-organised airport. I love it when I can get a direct flight from Rotterdam rather than Amsterdam - which isn't a bad airport for its size - because everything happens so much more quickly when going through it.

Helsinki - The airport itself works well, but it could do with a better connection to the city centre.

Birmingham - A lot of people will disagree, but it's way nicer than any of the London airports.

frostbite
30th Sep 2005, 11:58
The apparent obsession with cigarette smoke completely undermined the credibility of this for me.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
30th Sep 2005, 12:09

I totaly agree re CDG it`s a terrible place
Flew in with BA to T2B- tatty, worn out
looking very dated even though it is a recent (25 years) building and the organisation inside was very poor

Flew back AF out of T2F a bit better but still that bleak concrete look, no character

G-I-B