PDA

View Full Version : DHL to use Russians airplanes in Africa

JACQUOUILLE
29th Sep 2005, 15:27
It is sad to see that a such good operator is going to use old dangerous Russian airplanes over the African sky .

Solenta is currently operating a fleet of ATRs with DHL colours and they are doing a great job , why DHL needs to use Antonov airplanes ? Are they not aware that even countries like RDC and Equatorial Guinea are planning to kick the russians out ???

Just Wondering what DHL Europe think of this ?

Another

:{ for Africa

B Sousa
29th Sep 2005, 15:31
Its all about money. Cheap Aircraft and Cheap Officials from which to buy the permission.......

nozzle
29th Sep 2005, 15:52
My thought on the antonov is all should be taken out of service and stripped for parts if they even good enough for use.

Sammie_nl
29th Sep 2005, 16:07
DHL has been using Antonov airplanes in Europe for more then 6 years now. Operated by Exin, never a crash overthere.

I guess if you have proper operators and the right maintnance that an Antonov can be as safe as any other turboprop in the bush.

And I do believe that DHL is smart enough to deal with proper operators only, as they do in Europe.

I mean, isn't there an South African An-32 buzzing around Rand airport, so it can't be all that bad. Antonovs that go down, do it because of the maintance and overloading, not because they were badly engineered.

*runs for cover*

oompilot
29th Sep 2005, 18:52
Sammie, my friend. Europe is relatively successful. Africa in general is a disaster. That is not a debate, it’s a fact, and to compare the two aviation industries from each is as ignorant as any company thinking Antonovs in Africa are safe! Anyone who has seen them will agree.
Using the two in SA as an example of all Antonov in Africa is way off the mark. I agree it is an awesome aircraft. Bad maintenance is it’s downfall in Africa, but remember that’s were DHL will be using them!
Wiiiiiiillsoooooon!

Sammie_nl
29th Sep 2005, 19:14
Off course its hard to compare the flying coffins in the DRC and Sudan to the Antonov's operated elsewhere.

All I wanted to point out is that I think DHL might chooce its operator wisely. Not all airlines operating Antonovs will fly them without maintance till they drop.

I just want to wait to pass my judgement until I see what operator will fly for DHL and where the planes will be registered. Isn't the Antonovs at Rand the proof that it just might be possible to fly these Ruskies (OK Urkainiers) safely over Africa, provided sensible management/support is looking out for them.

If DHL is going to operate 3Q- or 4K- or any other dodgy registered planes, then I'll join the ranks and say its a bad move for DHL and aviation in Africa in general. But somehow I've got (maybe foolishly) faith in DHL that they won't make that mistake.

*edit to add the last part*

alexmcfire
29th Sep 2005, 21:30
Plans to kick out the Russians? Well, Angola tried to ban the Antonovs, but for some strange reason (cough, cough, money
perhaps) they lifted ban on the almighty Ukrainan Antonovs.
;)

TurbineTank
30th Sep 2005, 05:51
Not to shoot down our "comrades" but perhaps better if the Russians are flying boxes rather then people. So what is the moaning about guys. Let them fly-not like the high DHL insurance (much needed) won't cover the freight in the unlikely event of a loss.
So are Solenta gonna keep flying?..... something in the back of my head is telling me Nov 2005 is renewal time for the Solenta-Dhl contract???? or is it already extended?

Nostrovia:}

Stayinalive
30th Sep 2005, 06:16
Maybe the SAAF will buy up all these old tin cans and then fill them up with journalists......2 birds with one stone....now thats progress.