PDA

View Full Version : Live TV,when?

tony draper
29th Sep 2005, 14:00
Question?,was watching Space Race on BBC2 last night,a excellent series by the way,at one point 1961?the German Rocket scientists are sitting in a office watching Kruschev in Moscow greet Uri Gagarin after the first manned space flight, when somebody rushes in and shouts "have you seen whats coming in live from Moscow"
The question is this, this was before communication satellites,telstar and the like, how could they be watching Moscow live in Alabama?
:confused:

airship
29th Sep 2005, 14:07
Live radio existed for quite a long time before then, one could even say, from inception...perhaps it was merely a "have you heard...?! :O

tony draper
29th Sep 2005, 14:22
No I beleive the TV showing the aforemention pickies had the caption Live from Moscow along the bottom,I know it was possible to get live TV pickies from elswhere in the world but it was a major undertaking,even Kruschev couldn't just phone up the television studios in Moscow and order them to transmit live to the USA, the technology just didn't exist,most news was on film then.
We acept live broadcast from anywhere in the world now as common place but it weren't then,one recals watching all the excitment when the first blurry picks came in from Telstar live from the USA.
:cool:

tony draper
29th Sep 2005, 14:33
Wrong Mr C,one had a electric guitar even then, twas a two pickup solid body Broadway,prolly worth a fortune now,if one still had it.
And Telstar wasn't the Shadows,twas the Spotnicks one believes, but one could be wrong,ones memory grows dim.
:rolleyes:
PS,one can still play Telstar on the old Stylophe one inherited from ones mum.

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2005, 14:33
Wasn't there a CABLE before Telstar?

http://www.att.com/history/television/milestones.html

1951?

http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/collection/event.php?taid=&id=3456982&lid=1

http://www.massmoments.org/index.cfm?mid=257

UniFoxOs
29th Sep 2005, 14:37
I'm pretty sure Telstar was The Tornados.

tony draper
29th Sep 2005, 14:38
Indeed there was,a lot of the UK had cable TV in the sixties,One knows this because one worked for Rediffusion the company what ran it.
Twas not that easy especially then, to get a TV picture to go through a cable for any great distance,not sure if they had microwave links even in those days.

Gainesy
29th Sep 2005, 15:08
Sounds more like the scriptwriter cocked it up Mr D. Twould be the equivalent of the Wright Bros, sending an airmail letter to Bleriot.

airship
29th Sep 2005, 15:14
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that these days, the appelation "Live" merely means that the transmission was pre-recorded in the presence of a "live" audience and had not been edited before being "aired"....uhmmmm, whenever...?! :uhoh:

Smeagol
29th Sep 2005, 16:00
Complete thread drift but...........

Confirm what UFO stated:

Telstar ws by the Tornados (follow up record was Globetrotter)

Mr Draper, was not the Spotnicks hit 'March of the Mods'?

Tolsti
29th Sep 2005, 16:30
a lot of Russians aged about 50 and up still believe that the Russians invented TV and the Telephone as well and a long time before we got them...... just maybe they did............

supercarb
29th Sep 2005, 17:12
http://www.tvhandbook.com/History/History_timeline.htm

FM stereo transmission system approved by FCC

Electron beam recording demonstrated

Ampex SloMo Disc developed

First live televised presidential news conference (John Kennedy)

First Western viewing of live television from USSR on the BBC (Moscow welcome for Yuri Gagarin)

BigEndBob
29th Sep 2005, 17:38
Was it daytime in US when he was looking at tv ( was there window in background), it was daytime on his tele in Russia?

spekesoftly
29th Sep 2005, 19:02
The shot of Von Braun watching TV shows him sat at a desk in a darkened office with a table lamp switched on, suggesting night-time. No external window or daylight is visible. The American TV presenter opens with "And now, these pictures coming live from Moscow". One of Von Braun's colleagues phones to ask - "Are you watching, live from Moscow, the Soviet Cosmonaut is meeting Kruschev".

Gouabafla
29th Sep 2005, 19:48
Telstar was Mrs Thatcher's favourite pop record. Can't see her miming in front of the mirror with her mum's broom doing Shadow's dance steps though.

tony draper
29th Sep 2005, 20:22
Thank you Mr supercarb,t hat seems to settle it, it appears they did get it right.
Not sure about March of the Mods Mr Smeagol, but the Spotnicks are still going strong.

Helli-Gurl
30th Sep 2005, 11:00
It coud be argued that live TV when you watch it isn't really live, having worked in television I know that on anything tht goes out live, there is a minimum 10 second delay buit in between it happening and you seeing it incase then need to cut out of it for what ever reason, same with radio to

xx

ThreadBaron
30th Sep 2005, 11:14
So Helli-Gurl is also Telly-Gurl;)

Windy Militant
30th Sep 2005, 13:16
It occurs to one that the first Live TV broadcast was made in 1924 or there abouts by Mr Logie Baird. Perhaps one should ask when the first live international broadcast link up was established!
If one has remembered his history of television correctly, then all early TV was live and as Video Tape technology took a while to catch up early programmes were recorded using Film cameras fitted to monitors. A similar set up was I believe used for showing news reels etc where the film was projected onto a screen in front of a camera I believe they called it Tele-cine.
An aviation aside back in the fifties a system called Stratovison was experimented with in the States where programmes were broadcast from an aircraft. It went on to form part of the Psi ops campaign in Vietnam, but what tickled me was that in the Sixties the owners of the Pirate radio station Radio Caroline toyed with the idea of Pirate TV. TV Caroline using a relay of aircraft to give continuous cover!
Now That would Have been groovie and Fab! Not Arf!:ok:

Dont tell um pike
1st Oct 2005, 12:02
Live Tv (sky channel 214) is best viewed after 10 pm , (or so i'm told).

(you havn't seen me right)

DTUP

Gunner B12
1st Oct 2005, 16:21
Hate to be picky but everyone going on about miming to telstar with a broom handle and the like must have forgotten that telstar was an instrumental piece with not a lot to mime to.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

tony draper
1st Oct 2005, 17:11
Well even instrumental bands tended to mime to tapes on television in those days Mr Gunner, the fact that they never had any cables betwixt their guitars and amps was a give away,and this was in the days before guitar radio transmiters.

planepsycho
1st Oct 2005, 19:37
This thread made me a bit curious, so after some investigation into the history of Alabama broacasting I found:

The first radio station in Alabama, WBRC in Birmingham, was licensed in 1925, and the first television station, WAFM-TV in Birmingham, was licensed in 1949. In 1955 Alabama began to run the nationís first state-owned educational television network.
Regular television broadcasting began in Moscow in 1939. After WWll the Russians began inventing new ways of broadcasting and launched many of the worlds first satellites into orbit, it is possible that Von Braun could have viewed a live broadcast from Moscow in 1961.....in Alabama.

tony draper
1st Oct 2005, 20:42
I think we have gleaned from a earlier post that they did indeed get live pictures from Moscow on that occasion Mr Phycho, not via satellite though.
I recall seeing the Echo One experimental comms satellite when at sea,very bright it was,a 300ft aluminisied balloon as I recal,there were not many satellites about at that time so it was a bit of a novelty to catch sight of one.

planepsycho
1st Oct 2005, 21:21
psycho is female, blonde.....that explains it:O

tony draper
1st Oct 2005, 22:04
Apologies Madam P there should be a wee symbol denoting gender next to user names,like those Egyptian anchor thingies.

Windy Militant
3rd Oct 2005, 12:46
Back to the thread drift the Spotniks were featured on 'Sounds of the Sixties' on Saturday morning. Mr Mathews played their version of 'Orange Blossom Special'. How's that for a coincidence! Or maybe we've been infiltrated by the Huggy Fluffs from Auntie! :uhoh: